• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

What you see with your eyes does prime your brain/ears for what you expect to hear, as sound travels more slowly than light, hence why seeing a firework go bang doesn't make you jump, but only hearing one can do.
Which goes some way to explaining why you can 'hear' thumping sounds in this silent film.

Which explains the old saying: “Light travels faster than sound, which is why so many people look intelligent until you hear them talk.”

maximus otter

Very strange. Does the chair have a very strong spring that perhaps, if not closed fully, flicked it open and the force of it also spun the chair around? (I'm thinking Arkright's till in 'open all hours' kind of thing).

Which lady is this?
No that's the thing there is no spring on these chairs but they are very heavy - so heavy that I struggle to carry one with me old bones. It must be the weight alone which causes the base and the back to spring apart, but I'm surprised the chair ended up upright and a bit of a distance from where it leant up against the wall. I shall conduct further experimentation 'cos I'm bored witless at the moment.
The little old lady is the one I mentioned in a previous thread when I saw a few second image of her in the bedroom, (a ghost if you will ). She looked too frail to be messing with heavy chairs tho:chuckle:

I think that's just the subtitles prepping your brain and telling it what to expect. I've noticed the same thing - as we get a little older everyone around you starts to mumble and the quality of the sound on the TV deteriorates. No, I'm not going deaf, like I said, it's other people mumbling and the quality of the sound on TV getting worse.... anyway, when I turn the subtitles on to hear what folk on the TV are actually saying, I can suddenly hear it better as well. But I think the subtitles just prime you to decode the sound.
As we age, we also have more difficulty tuning out surrounding noise. That's why it's harder to hear someone right next to you in a crowded area.

As we age, we also have more difficulty tuning out surrounding noise. That's why it's harder to hear someone right next to you in a crowded area.
I've found my hearing to have deteriorated somewhat to the extent that I can't decipher dialogue in tv programmes when there is a loud (usually unnecessary) soundtrack playing. It seems compulsory now for programme makers to includes such soundtracks, presumably to mask really bad acting or dialogue. I can't think of any other reason:chuckle:

I've been trying to watch the 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' film that was on TV t'other night.
Despite it being almost impossible to follow due to the fact that they seem to have filmed a multitude of unrelated scenes and just yammed them together, and there doesn't appear to be any real plot of any sort (I'm 2 hours in and still don't really know who half the characters are or what they are doing), the most annoying thing is the terrible sound quality.

My TV is a modern Sony smart TV with all the good kit in it, and it produces a really high-quality audio, but this film is awful.
It seems to not matter how high I turn up the volume, the words spoken by the cast are often mumbled, or just poorly enunciated, and the speech is often quieter than the background noises, so if I increase the volume I'm also increasing the volume of the background noises, so it doesn't help.

Also, quite often the characters mouths cannot be seen as they are turned away from the camera, or not in shot, so you can't employ a certain amount of lip-reading (which reminds me of my grandad when he used to complain about actors on the TV turning their back to the camera).
I think that has probably contributed to my inability to follow any sort of plot, because some of what has been going on is undoubtedly explained by the characters telling each other about 'who went where, and why, and what they did'.

I'm determined to watch the rest of it later, but it feels like I've got another 3 hours to go, and I'll be none-the-wiser at the end of it.
(and sorry, I guess this post could be better suited in the 'Star Wars' thread, or 'What are you watching?', but it follows on from what the previous posts have said about not hearing properly, really)

I've been trying to watch the 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' film that was on TV t'other night.
Despite it being almost impossible to follow due to the fact that they seem to have filmed a multitude of unrelated scenes and just yammed them together, and there doesn't appear to be any real plot of any sort (I'm 2 hours in and still don't really know who half the characters are or what they are doing), the most annoying thing is the terrible sound quality.

My TV is a modern Sony smart TV with all the good kit in it, and it produces a really high-quality audio, but this film is awful.
It seems to not matter how high I turn up the volume, the words spoken by the cast are often mumbled, or just poorly enunciated, and the speech is often quieter than the background noises, so if I increase the volume I'm also increasing the volume of the background noises, so it doesn't help.

Also, quite often the characters mouths cannot be seen as they are turned away from the camera, or not in shot, so you can't employ a certain amount of lip-reading (which reminds me of my grandad when he used to complain about actors on the TV turning their back to the camera).
I think that has probably contributed to my inability to follow any sort of plot, because some of what has been going on is undoubtedly explained by the characters telling each other about 'who went where, and why, and what they did'.

I'm determined to watch the rest of it later, but it feels like I've got another 3 hours to go, and I'll be none-the-wiser at the end of it.
(and sorry, I guess this post could be better suited in the 'Star Wars' thread, or 'What are you watching?', but it follows on from what the previous posts have said about not hearing properly, really)
I've also found that, in an attempt at realism. some actors speak very quickly. I don't normally have too much trouble hearing actors on TV but I struggled with David Tennant's Doctor Who, because he spoke very very fast. I often had to watch an episode twice to catch the nuances, because I'd missed much of the dialogue first time round.

My attempt to watch the final part of the Star Wars Last Jedi was successful but I'm still having issues with some aspects of the plot.
It has occurred to me that Carrie Fisher carked it before the film was complete, so I'm wondering if there was some issue with editing her scenes which made it a bit disjointed? That doesn't account for the whole of the rest of the film though.
And there was one long section of dialogue between 'Rey' and 'Kylo' in which they were angrily arguing with each other about something, through gritted teeth, in essentially a 'loud whisper', while background music played increasingly loudly (probably to create tension) but it just made the words totally unintelligible.

I see the next film in the series was on last night so I have recorded that. That's going to be similarly difficult to follow I expect.

Well this is a bit of an odd thing.
Woman that lives 3 or 4 doors down from me is Italian (I think. Not that that has anything to do with this though) and owns a 24 year old Honda HR-V. It is in reasonable condition for what is now quite an aged motor.
Anyhoo, she has owned it all the time she has lived there which is about 8 years I think, and I've always known that it is an automatic gearbox car.
At some point last week I had been out for a walk and I happened to walk back a different route as usual, and it meant that I had to walk past her car. I happened to look through the window as I went past it and......it is a manual box!
So, nothing too strange about that really, I must have mis-identified it before.
But, I just went shopping and when I got back she had parked in the spot I usually do as she was mowing the grass in front of her house where she was parked earlier, so as I arrived she walked over and moved her car back a bit so that I could park.
When I got out of my car and walked past hers......it's an automatic again!
Now I know I'm not losing my marbles, and its quite a distinctive silver with various scuffs and scrapes, on a familiar number plate, and it isn't like anyone else round here would park an exact facsimile but with a different gearbox in the same space.

The gearstick for the manual box is quite different to the auto box one.
Maybe I am losing my marbles. :dunno:

Oh and while I'm here I just thought I'd mention that the noise I can hear of an evening, like all the notes on a mouth-organ being played at the same time, some distance away, is still there. It never went away. Some days I can hear it more clearly than others.

Well this is a bit of an odd thing.
Woman that lives 3 or 4 doors down from me is Italian (I think. Not that that has anything to do with this though) and owns a 24 year old Honda HR-V. It is in reasonable condition for what is now quite an aged motor.
Anyhoo, she has owned it all the time she has lived there which is about 8 years I think, and I've always known that it is an automatic gearbox car.
At some point last week I had been out for a walk and I happened to walk back a different route as usual, and it meant that I had to walk past her car. I happened to look through the window as I went past it and......it is a manual box!
So, nothing too strange about that really, I must have mis-identified it before.
But, I just went shopping and when I got back she had parked in the spot I usually do as she was mowing the grass in front of her house where she was parked earlier, so as I arrived she walked over and moved her car back a bit so that I could park.
When I got out of my car and walked past hers......it's an automatic again!
Now I know I'm not losing my marbles, and its quite a distinctive silver with various scuffs and scrapes, on a familiar number plate, and it isn't like anyone else round here would park an exact facsimile but with a different gearbox in the same space.

The gearstick for the manual box is quite different to the auto box one.
Maybe I am losing my marbles. :dunno:
What you may have there is a car with a trans-dimensional shift.

Do you mean on the Honda HRV
Yes.
I owned an HR-V myself (manual) so I'm familiar with what the gearstick looks like in them , and that the gearstick in the auto box is quite different, being bigger with a button on the side.

Manual
1665938080093.png

Auto
1665938101603.png

I have a plate in my pile of most-often-used plates in my kitchen cupboard which has two very obvious cracks - one which travels all the way across from one side to t'other, and a smaller 'C' shaped crack on one side, about the size of the palm of my hand.
These cracks have been there for ages (years) and yet the plate steadfastly refuses to end it's own life by fragmenting, despite being regularly used and knocked around in the washing-up bowl with everything else.
Now that I have written about it here, what's the betting that it breaks some time soon?

In line with the inattentiveness of people, ahem @Trevp666 :), I was in one of the ladies' bedrooms yesterday. She often lies in her bed at several intervals a day, so I am always in and out. My coworker and I were lying her in bed (she uses a ceiling lift) and the coworker knocked the mobile hanging above the foot of her bed.

I remarked that I often knocked it. I then realized that the usual item hanging in that spot was a large paper balloon decoration and that the mobile was usually at the head of her bed. The only thing now hanging on her ceiling was a mobile.

I asked my coworker how long ago had this change been done. Coworker has been working here for less than a year, I think since March, and looked like she had not a clue to what I was talking about.

Later I asked another coworker who has worked in the home about three years about the change. She said the balloon had been taken down almost a year ago:rofl:.

Let us know if you find anything out.
I never did find out why the area was so devoid of life Floyd, although I now know why the pub was closed.

I walked there again today and again found the place locked and the lights off. Just about to walk back home when the landlady came out of a back door. We are closed she told me but knowing that I have walked from the next village; she decided to serve me my normal 2 pints. Kitchen was closed so I had to make do with a packet of crisps.

Management have decided to close the pub on Mondays and Tuesday’s due to the cost-of-living crises. It’s an ancient 15th century old multi roomed coaching inn you see, and it costs a packet to heat in the winter months. That’s understandable though, as normally on Monday lunchtimes there is only me with my 2 pints, and old Pete who makes his one pint of bitter last 2 hours, so they aint making any money out of us really.

I never did find out why the area was so devoid of life Floyd, although I now know why the pub was closed.

I walked there again today and again found the place locked and the lights off. Just about to walk back home when the landlady came out of a back door. We are closed she told me but knowing that I have walked from the next village; she decided to serve me my normal 2 pints. Kitchen was closed so I had to make do with a packet of crisps.

Management have decided to close the pub on Mondays and Tuesday’s due to the cost-of-living crises. It’s an ancient 15th century old multi roomed coaching inn you see, and it costs a packet to heat in the winter months. That’s understandable though, as normally on Monday lunchtimes there is only me with my 2 pints, and old Pete who makes his one pint of bitter last 2 hours, so they aint making any money out of us really.
Ah right- cheers Dick.
It sounds like a lovely place. Makes you wonder how they survived winters back then though.
Well at least we've solved that one. Now, the dog that didn't bark.....

Makes you wonder how they survived winters back then though.
'Back then' there weren't a plethora of rules and regulations regarding burning stuff to keep you warm and the 'health and safety' stuff that goes with it, and there also weren't the massive high prices for energy that we currently have.
Add on to that business rates, vat, the general state of the peoples finances and the fact that two years of on/off lockdowns and other restrictions meant that more people got used to drinking cheap booze bought from the supermarket instead of the prices that pubs charge (often forced to do due to the excessive 'beer tie' that landlords of 'chain' pubs have to deal with).

'Back then' there weren't a plethora of rules and regulations regarding burning stuff to keep you warm and the 'health and safety' stuff that goes with it, and there also weren't the massive high prices for energy that we currently have.
Add on to that business rates, vat, the general state of the peoples finances and the fact that two years of on/off lockdowns and other restrictions meant that more people got used to drinking cheap booze bought from the supermarket instead of the prices that pubs charge (often forced to do due to the excessive 'beer tie' that landlords of 'chain' pubs have to deal with).
And not changing clothes or bathing very often as well I suppose.
Keith Richards mentions how even in the 60s people always seemed to be ill and coughing and sneezing all the time due to inadequate heating. I sometimes wonder how I survived with no radiators and single pane windows- it's bad enough now with double glazing.

Ah right- cheers Dick.
It sounds like a lovely place. Makes you wonder how they survived winters back then though.
Well at least we've solved that one. Now, the dog that didn't bark.....

Well, there are open fires in every room of the building for either coal or wood, but I wouldn’t expect them to warm a large room. The pub policy is when open is to keep all internal doors closed, and they are putting heavy curtains up in all the windows when the sun goes down. In years gone by I guess people made the best of it. They as people were certainly a lot hardier than today’s generation.

The dog was barking at me when I walked past this afternoon. I just shouted at it to shut up, although as I walked further along, I could see the automated gates to the farm were wide open. He’s probably been rained not to leave the confines of the farmyard, but there was nothing to stop that dog running out of those gates and chasing me back up the country lane lol.

More people packed into one room would heat it nicely. Back in the fifteenth, sixteenth century people weren't used to be warm all the time, like we are now. You got cold in winter, that was accepted, you didn't have central heating ANYWHERE and most places only had one open fire.

Back