• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Yes I’ve seen a few petrol stations with these. My local Morrisons has them too, outside in the car park.

Every phone handset in the target cell site(s) will receive them whether or not they’re switched off or in aeroplane or silent mode. The powers that be can decide which cell sites to target at national, regional or local level. They don’t need to know your phone number or any of your personal details; these emergency alerts are not sent like a normal text message, they are sent by all the mobile carriers to every handset. The phone doesn’t even need to be registered as long as it has a sim card installed. It is an inbuilt function in every handset and has been for years now.
Wow, I missed that. Slightly worrying. I had a quick look and it seems as if that you can make sure yr not disturbed if turned off or in airplane mode or connected to a 2G or 3G network or on wifi only.

https://www.gov.uk/alerts/how-alerts-work

You can opt out also. I'll watch with interest.

Wow, I missed that. Slightly worrying. I had a quick look and it seems as if that you can make sure yr not disturbed if turned off or in airplane mode or connected to a 2G or 3G network or on wifi only.

That’s interesting the government is saying that - if that’s what they’re saying then I’m sure it’s correct. Previously my understanding of it was that the alerts will work to switch on a phone which is off (these days handsets are never truly off unless the battery is completely discharged or disconnected) or wake up a phone on aeroplane or silent mode. I’ve seen some information about the alert system through my work as there is also stuff going in the background to do with prioritisation of mobile handsets, i.e. preventing or enabling certain phones being able to call or send messages during an emergency, for category one and two responders under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004. However I don’t work in the telecoms world so I only get snippets here and there.

They’re apparently used in USA & Australia, mainly for extreme weather alerts it seems.

Someone on the radio said you'll have to acknowledge you’ve seen it by clicking a link & your phone will be inoperable til you’ve done that.

A bit of minor strangeness. Pulled into the local ish large petrol station this am -one of those with Costa cafe and the rest. Happened to glance over at the side of the fuel pumps to see that an outdoor launderette had been installed . 2 commercial washers and 1 dryer installed under quite a small canopy. Never seen this before. Very little protection from the weather, robbery and vandalism I wonder how long they will last. The cost must have been huge. Anyone else seen one of these installations before?
I am really really hoping that they open something like this near me soon. The nearest laundrette is nearly 30 miles away, whereas we have a couple of largeish garages within three miles, and it would be fabulous to be able to take washing to a drier and do a job lot of bedding now and again. My house is too small to have space for a tumble drier and, in winter, I get tired of wet duvet covers hanging around the place when it's too wet to put them on the line.

They’re apparently used in USA & Australia, mainly for extreme weather alerts it seems.

Someone on the radio said you'll have to acknowledge you’ve seen it by clicking a link & your phone will be inoperable til you’ve done that.
In the US last year my phone picked up a couple of text alerts for missing children, despite me not being a US resident.

A bit of minor strangeness. Pulled into the local ish large petrol station this am -one of those with Costa cafe and the rest. Happened to glance over at the side of the fuel pumps to see that an outdoor launderette had been installed . 2 commercial washers and 1 dryer installed under quite a small canopy. Never seen this before. Very little protection from the weather, robbery and vandalism I wonder how long they will last. The cost must have been huge. Anyone else seen one of these installations before?
How I wish they would do that over here - I go to the laundromat a few times a week, and with the homeless and assorted derelicts that hang out there, washing up in the bathroom, etc., I'd rather be outside in the air!

Bit of minor strangeness today. I collect pottery shards (it's a thing. Lots of Facebook groups for devotees) I beachcomb, mudlark ect. I have a wish list of special shards I'm looking for including any crested crockery from old hospitals and workhouses. I love Clarice Cliff and I do find shards of hers in certain locations. Today sitting in the middle of my garden path was a ceramic bee from her honey pot crocus range which is incredibly rare to randomly find. I recognised it straight away, picked it up and did a little dance. Now today is mother's day and just before I went out I was looking at my late mother's wedding ring. Do I think my dead mother sent me a ceramic bee? Absolutely not. But it was odd.

I've had one of these, in 2018, when an Islamic-State inspired extremist went on a stabbing spree in the Melbourne CBD. I happened to be a couple of blocks away. The phone popped up a message telling me to avoid that area of the city.

The telephone system can track your location to within a few meters, and an alert can be sent to anyone in the vicinity.

It's a sad comment on today's world that I watched other people get the message. They just looked at their phones, shrugged, and went about their business as usual. It's almost part of normal life now.

Often get people wandering in, who insist on telling me that this is the Jane Austen centre and showing me their phones as proof.
It seems quite bizarre to me when people insist on believing their apps or whatever is on their device screens instead of their own senses. Makes me wonder if they've developed a sense of reality based on 2-D instead of the physical world.
Yesterday I scanned a copy of Country Living magazine for a customer (a woman, not elderly but certainly veering toward the older side. She was in with her husband). She asked me whether it was free. I said no, it was £5.99.

She then proceeded to tell me that it was always free, that it was free in 'the other shop' (another branch of the Co Op in a town a few miles away) and that she wasn't going to pay for it.
Aren't magazine prices listed on the covers? Free magazine just say FREE! They are over here, so they should be everywhere. (Just like everyone should drive on the right side of the road and not have roundabouts and eat pizzas and tacos and cheeseburgers everyday! :p )

I am really really hoping that they open something like this near me soon. The nearest laundrette is nearly 30 miles away, whereas we have a couple of largeish garages within three miles, and it would be fabulous to be able to take washing to a drier and do a job lot of bedding now and again. My house is too small to have space for a tumble drier and, in winter, I get tired of wet duvet covers hanging around the place when it's too wet to put them on the line.
Yes. As it's been mild there's been no condensation on the windows lately, but the window in the one room I had some laundry drying in was covered in it yesterday morning. Just shows how much moisture comes off it.

Yes. As it's been mild there's been no condensation on the windows lately, but the window in the one room I had some laundry drying in was covered in it yesterday morning. Just shows how much moisture comes off it.

My missus will not be disabused of the delusion that moisture from damp clothes simply vanishes into the Fifth Dimension.

If you hang wet clothes in, say, a conservatory to dry, all you are doing is transferring the water from the clothes to your paintwork, furniture, carpets etc. Say hello to Mr. Fungus!

maximus otter

My missus will not be disabused of the delusion that moisture from damp clothes simply vanishes into the Fifth Dimension.

If you hang wet clothes in, say, a conservatory to dry, all you are doing is transferring the water from the clothes to your paintwork, furniture, carpets etc. Say hello to Mr. Fungus!

maximus otter
...however if you crack a window at each end of said solarium, all is well.

...however if you crack a window at each end of said solarium, all is well.
On Sunday when I went down at 4am-ish to find the window covered, I did exactly that. Opened it on 'lock' that few centimetres it allows you to and it cleared it after a while. Really I should have left it open all night but didn't want to risk it safety-wise.

How I wish they would do that over here - I go to the laundromat a few times a week, and with the homeless and assorted derelicts that hang out there, washing up in the bathroom, etc., I'd rather be outside in the air!
Exactly. Or you can just sit in your car and read for a while.
It seems quite bizarre to me when people insist on believing their apps or whatever is on their device screens instead of their own senses. Makes me wonder if they've developed a sense of reality based on 2-D instead of the physical world.

Aren't magazine prices listed on the covers? Free magazine just say FREE! They are over here, so they should be everywhere. (Just like everyone should drive on the right side of the road and not have roundabouts and eat pizzas and tacos and cheeseburgers everyday! :p )
Maagazine prices are on the cover, but they are printed in very small print and can be damn near impossible to find (as I have found when having to manually input prices). Free magazines don't usually have FREE on the cover, because you want everyone to assume that you paid good money for it.

Catseye, Do you have a Waitrose nearby? their in house mag is free and can look quite upmarket sometimes.

The Waitrose magazine is only free to loyalty cardholders so it does have cover price (£3.75 apparently) just one that few ever pay. The other mechanism that could confuse is a 'free with minimum spend' offer.

oxo

I'm just going to assume that this lady was confused or trying to blag herself a posh mag. The edition of Country Living in question has a supplement attached to the front by a band (bathroom design, if memory serves) and therefore looks nothing like any kind of instore magazine. No way would anything that looked like that be free in any shop. Maybe she just thought that I looked as though I had given up hope sufficiently to just say 'yeah' and not charge her.

I do try to behave. My 'fire and forget' nature does tend to get me 'sent to the headmaster' too frequently, so I have to be a tad more cautious about how I word things.
But you wouldn't have it any other way, would you....

That’s interesting the government is saying that - if that’s what they’re saying then I’m sure it’s correct. Previously my understanding of it was that the alerts will work to switch on a phone which is off (these days handsets are never truly off unless the battery is completely discharged or disconnected) or wake up a phone on aeroplane or silent mode. I’ve seen some information about the alert system through my work as there is also stuff going in the background to do with prioritisation of mobile handsets, i.e. preventing or enabling certain phones being able to call or send messages during an emergency, for category one and two responders under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004. However I don’t work in the telecoms world so I only get snippets here and there.

I found out a bit more about this today. There are three priority levels of cell broadcast alert - 'Severe', 'Extreme' and 'Government'. In the UK the first two of these can be disabled by the phone software settings in the handset if desired (in some countries the options to disable these are not available at all) but the top level cannot be disabled by the individual user. This level will indeed turn on the phone if it is off and/or awaken it from aeroplane or silent modes.

As things stand at the moment all originators of alert messages in the UK, including local authorities/councils, will have access to the 'Government' priority level. If the shit really hits the fan, expect your switched off phone to turn itself on and go mental!

Last edited:
Exactly. Or you can just sit in your car and read for a while.
Oo! Oo! This inspired a truly American idea! Drive thru laundry service!
(I looked and so far it seems there are only drive thru windows for dry cleaning.)
Free magazines don't usually have FREE on the cover, because you want everyone to assume that you paid good money for it.
:rollingw:

Back