• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

So I had a curious experience earlier this week. Someone at work but in a different department to me has been showing, shall we say, 'romantic interest' and has piqued my curiosity. Because of schedules and the fact it is a large site with hundreds of people, I only ever see Person X at pretty much the same time on certain days (=/- 10 minutes or so). This week I was walking down a long corridor and although it wasn't a time I would expect to see Person X, I had a strong feeling they were close by. A definite sense of 'knowing' in fact. A moment later person X rounded the end of the corridor ahead of me and was walking towards me (our eyes met etc. :itslove:haha!). So weird that feeling of just 'knowing'...
Oooooh, steady on! :D

When I was first seeing Techy I drove a couple of towns away to pick up some kids from a judo competition.
Had a sudden feeling that I was near Techy and I'd see him any minute, and he drove round the corner and past me. We waved, both surprised.

We went walking the dog along the river by Kirkstall Abbey this morning. The river path ends abruptly at a very insistent fence, and the only thing you can do is turn around and walk back towards the abbey. I looked across the river at the railway just the other side and, for no apparent reason, the thought popped into my mind that it would make an excellent vantage point to watch a steam train pass by.

Anyway, we dutifully obeyed the fence's command, and headed back down to the abbey. Sure enough, about five minutes later, a steam loco hauling a single carriage came slowly past.
I don't know why you felt compelled to look at it but I can, at least, explain what it was.

This was a steam loco positioning move from York back to it's home depot at Carnforth. The engine was ex LMS Jubilee 45690, which is named Leander and is now operated by West Coast Railways.

Here's the schedule -
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U66255/2023-04-22/detailed

And here's a photo of taken yesterday I found on Flickr -

45690 @ Giggleswick 22/4/2023

Ahead of Arsenal’s game on Friday a man clad head to toe in red & white with placards & photos attached was walking up & down the road. Every few seconds he would shout ‘Arse’. No ‘Nal’.
Somewhere in the country there is another man clad head to toe in red and white with placards walking up and down shouting 'Nal!'

Entangled particles, probably.

As far as I am aware there are no heritage railways in this area, so that steam train would have been on the nearby main railway and therefore not unknown but not exactly a common sight either. It may have been there in connection with a rail tour, can you describe the locomotive?
I can do better than that, I can provide a photo. Well, I can't, but @Carse can:
@This was a steam loco positioning move from York back to it's home depot at Carnforth. The engine was ex LMS Jubilee 45690, which is named Leander and is now operated by West Coast Railways.

Here's the schedule -
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U66255/2023-04-22/detailed

And here's a photo of taken yesterday I found on Flickr -

45690 @ Giggleswick 22/4/2023
@Carse , that's the one. We saw it on the approach to Kirkstall Forge. Is there a way of using that website to search for upcoming steam loco movements?

I was answering a quiz online before, the questions related yo the U.S. version of the TV series The Office, something I know nothing about.

Each question had 3 options and there were 7 questions.

I got the first 4 questions correct, when it occurred to me that it was statistically unusual but not ludicrous that I got the first 4 correct. As soon as I became aware of this, i got the next 4 incorrect.

It made me think of theories of ESP abilities, in that as soon as someone thinks about what they are doing, they lose the ability. The fact that the quiz was of no importance also made me wonder.

A very strange thing happened yesterday evening. I got home from work around 6pm, and saw the cat sitting outside the back patio doors waiting to be let in. I unlocked and opened the door and discovered that the garden umbrella (a large Parasol) was leaning neatly up against the back wall. When I left for work that morning the umbrella was where it should have been – in it’s base on the patio.

The distance from the Patio to the back wall is approx. 40 yards long, so how did it get there..?. My eldest daughter was at home all day, but she denied even going into the back garden. I have no back entrance to the garden just a very old brick-built wall that is excess of 12ft tall.

I can’t imagine that an intruder would have scaled the wall just to place the parasol on the other side of the garden, and I can’t imagine why any of my neighbours would have done so either.

Seriously WTF.

A very strange thing happened yesterday evening. I got home from work around 6pm, and saw the cat sitting outside the back patio doors waiting to be let in. I unlocked and opened the door and discovered that the garden umbrella (a large Parasol) was leaning neatly up against the back wall. When I left for work that morning the umbrella was where it should have been – in it’s base on the patio.

The distance from the Patio to the back wall is approx. 40 yards long, so how did it get there..?. My eldest daughter was at home all day, but she denied even going into the back garden. I have no back entrance to the garden just a very old brick-built wall that is excess of 12ft tall.

I can’t imagine that an intruder would have scaled the wall just to place the parasol on the other side of the garden, and I can’t imagine why any of my neighbours would have done so either.

Seriously WTF.
Was the umbrella folded? When one of ours was left out on a windy night it did one over the fence.

You might wonder if a burglar has moved it to see how long you took to notice. They do things like that.

Seriously WTF.
Wind can be strange- the Mil/FiL have two wheelie bins up gainst the garage wall and yet somehow the wind blows them onto the garden about 4 metres away.
You'd think their sheltered location would stop this- but whether the wind bounces off the wall, thereby pushing the bins along, is my only theory on that one.

Was the umbrella folded? When one of ours was left out on a windy night it did one over the fence.

You might wonder if a burglar has moved it to see how long you took to notice. They do things like that.
That did cross my mind Scargy but yes it was folded, and placed very neatly up against the back wall. As for burglar's, I honestly don't think so.

Why don't you suspect burglars? Some are chancers and some plan things out. It's big business.
I’m not saying I have personal experience of being a burglar of course, but there is no escape from the back if the owners of a property ever came through the front door during a burglary – the back wall is at least 15ft high and goes onto a private back garden. If I had ever an intension of robbing a house then I’d choose a house that gave me at least 2 escape routes.

I’m not saying I have personal experience of being a burglar of course, but there is no escape from the back if the owners of a property ever came through the front door during a burglary – the back wall is at least 15ft high and goes onto a private back garden. If I had ever an intension of robbing a house then I’d choose a house that gave me at least 2 escape routes.
This is why burglars watch potentially lucrative properties. They learn the times the occupants go in and out so as to make sure their paths don't meet.
Anyway, it's your house. You know best. :)

This is why burglars watch potentially lucrative properties. They learn the times the occupants go in and out so as to make sure their paths don't meet.
Anyway, it's your house. You know best. :)
I suspect it's the Cat, sneaky devils... if you ask the Cat if it did it, it would probably reply... "Me-Ow could I have done it!" :chuckle:

Just a curious thing earlier. Was out idly enjoying the sun when a peculiar ?visual effect? happened. if you can imagine the old-fashined cellophane which reflected colours . It was an effect like that slowly drifting across the grass clear but slightly prismatic, and the grass behind distorted. One with a bit more imagination than me might be thinking 'gossamer wings of a fairy'.

It appeared, was in vision for maybe 5 seconds, then disappeared. Nothing there to account for it - I looked. I'm not insisting anything anomalous occurred, but it made my afternoon more interesting.

Just a curious thing earlier. Was out idly enjoying the sun when a peculiar ?visual effect? happened. if you can imagine the old-fashined cellophane which reflected colours . It was an effect like that slowly drifting across the grass clear but slightly prismatic, and the grass behind distorted. One with a bit more imagination than me might be thinking 'gossamer wings of a fairy'.

It appeared, was in vision for maybe 5 seconds, then disappeared. Nothing there to account for it - I looked. I'm not insisting anything anomalous occurred, but it made my afternoon more interesting.
Could be some condensation that was rising from the ground?

Had the song “Typical” by Mutemath stuck in my head yesterday. Not the whole song, just the last ten seconds which repeats the line “I’m just the typical“ four or five times. That bit was playing on a loop in my head all day.
I was at work mining my own business with it playing on the dodgy jukebox in my brain and just as it repeated the word “Typical” a chap walked past me talking to his friend and said to him “yeah. It was bloody typical”

Maybe, it's down to having experienced a short moment of . . . kaleidoscope vision?
https://www.visioncenter.org/conditions/kaleidoscope-vision/

Somewhere in the country there is another man clad head to toe in red and white with placards walking up and down shouting 'Nal!'

Entangled particles, probably.
Saw the Arse man again ahead of the game with Chelsea. Actually sounded like he was saying Ar rather than Arse. He was standing by himself in the green space outside Highbury & Islington station clad in head to toe red & white, under a tree, shouting. I could hear him as I approached. I think he must be new to the area as I haven’t seen him til recently.

I suspect mental health issues.. One for the strange folk thread probably.

Back