• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Brilliant, that is the place. My experience was just past that clump of trees on the left in the distance, I was coming along in the same direction as the car in the pic. ( How did you get a picture of me by the way:))
Trouble is I get easily distracted.
Once I started looking at Hughenden Manor, I had to force myself to come off or else I'd have been there for hours.

The bedroom curtains joined in the strangenes last night. Because it's so warm, and dark when I go to bed after a shift, I left the curtains open to allow a breeze to come through. When I got up for one of my many nightly wees, they were partly closed and I had to open them fully up again. I'm supposing that, on a previous waking, I'd closed them up a bit whilst not being properly awake, although I don't remember doing it nor do I know why I'd bother. It's not a full moon and there are no street lights, so there's no need to close the curtains...

The bedroom curtains joined in the strangenes last night. Because it's so warm, and dark when I go to bed after a shift, I left the curtains open to allow a breeze to come through. When I got up for one of my many nightly wees, they were partly closed and I had to open them fully up again. I'm supposing that, on a previous waking, I'd closed them up a bit whilst not being properly awake, although I don't remember doing it nor do I know why I'd bother. It's not a full moon and there are no street lights, so there's no need to close the curtains...
If they're attached to those wooden/metal curtain rings, (as opposed to the old style curtain track and fittings that clicked onto the rail) then they can move about quite easily in a good breeze.

If they're attached to those wooden/metal curtain rings, (as opposed to the old style curtain track and fittings that clicked onto the rail) then they can move about quite easily in a good breeze.
No breeze at all here last night, and they are tab top curtains but kind of wedged behind a pine chest, so they don't slide easily.

Brilliant, that is the place. My experience was just past that clump of trees on the left in the distance, I was coming along in the same direction as the car in the pic. ( How did you get a picture of me by the way:))
Is there still building work going on here G? (red circle)

Just thinking maybe some kind of construction equipment/vehicle(s) were being used there that gave you a blast as you drove past?
(grasping at straws I know).
four ashes.png

So how come I just get called Miss Marple? (It's the knitting, isn't it, go on, tell me I can take it...)
Mr. R always tells me that I should have worked as an investigator for a defense attorney, digging for details to help someone get acquitted of murder, etc.
I can never get my head out of murder mystery novels and true crime, along with all the movies! He always alerts me if a special on JTR is on that night, or Loch Ness.

Is there still building work going on here G? (red circle)

Just thinking maybe some kind of construction equipment/vehicle(s) were being used there that gave you a blast as you drove past?
(grasping at straws I know).View attachment 69433
Not as far as I am aware. It was empty for a few years and then a development company must have bought it and converted it all into flats but they finished it a year or so back.
As an aside, the original building 'Uplands' was a private manor house and when that was sold they built hideous bedroom blocks on the sides for the new hotel. Back in the 80s I was doing some work in an elderly couple's place and, talking over a cup of tea the man said he used to be the butler in Uplands for many years.

Indeed it is but why is this happening? I cautiously-propose that there's a degree of non-infectious inflection going on here, convergent evolution versus derivative aping.
Right. I've paid attention this time and got the annoying culprit's name.

Another one in the series tonight (sky arts channel) was discussing The Lady Killers.

And who was there to spoil it all? Christina f*****g Newland (Film critic).

Even worse than the 'croak', she starts most sentences with 'so' and finishes them with an uptick. Could it get much worse?

If I had a mangle and the choice was listen to her for five minutes or put my willie in the mangle for ten- the mangle would win over every time.

I've paid attention this time
This is both a boon and a curse: I mean noticing the fashionable patterns in shared language. As inquisitive Fortean individuals, we're inevitably drawn into doing this- I mean, the analytical diligence of questioning the makeup of the underlying medium in all things, rather than just receiving the superficial message.

The infectious nature of accents / styles and certain subset vocabularies (within prone tribes (or....categories?) of humanity makes for a fascinating study in itself.

There are, of course, certain individuals in life who appear neither to hear nor themselves use such stylistic embellishments. Indeed, we always need to remember (as dispassionately as possible) that our neutral delivery style mode (whomever that "our" is) does not necessarily represent a neutral delivery style for Other Groups that speak the 'same' language. Hence for them, such curiosities become the new normal (and they do not consciously even hear upspeak / tonal rise / vocal fry / intraphrasal 'tic' insertion of gapfill, like, words).

The primary differentiator in spoken English (following geographic seperation) always seems to be age: and a simplistic interpretation of fashion trends (in speech, and many other socionormative exhibitors) is therefore just to view verbal change as an evolutionary effect over time.

But it's much more complex than that. The global village effect definitely has a huge influence: classic national and regional speechform isolates are becoming a thing of the past (it would be fascinating to find-out if global languages other than English are becoming similarly re-stratified, and influenced by outlier oddities of style & mode: or is spoken English alone in being overwritten by trends in delivery and inflection?)

Come on, Spanish and Chinese languagea, are you eternally-unchanging In your styles and mutabilities? I know I'm comparing apples and tennis-balls when it comes to tonal-based language (eg Mandarin/Cantonese vs Latinate/Germanic languages) but are the strange affectations & trends we hear in the Anglosphere mirrored in similar ways, in other national & supranational languages?

Last edited:
So, last night I was chatting in the pub to a local antiques dealer. He was telling me that he was a big collector of (of all things) nutcrackers. He had over 1500 of them! He had decided that the time had come to get rid of them and he had sent them to an auction house. He went on to tell me that although it was a niche market there were some wealthy collectors out there.
Now I dont think I ever hear or think about nutcrackers (well maybe at Christmas) but today I was reading my Readers Digest Folklore Myths and Legends of Britain and on page 240 under Impington, Cambs was the story of the strange death of Elizabeth Woodcock and it states that in Cambridge Folk Museum you can see a pair of nutcrackers she owned!
:dunno:

So, last night I was chatting in the pub to a local antiques dealer. He was telling me that he was a big collector of (of all things) nutcrackers. He had over 1500 of them! He had decided that the time had come to get rid of them and he had sent them to an auction house. He went on to tell me that although it was a niche market there were some wealthy collectors out there.
Now I dont think I ever hear or think about nutcrackers (well maybe at Christmas) but today I was reading my Readers Digest Folklore Myths and Legends of Britain and on page 240 under Impington, Cambs was the story of the strange death of Elizabeth Woodcock and it states that in Cambridge Folk Museum you can see a pair of nutcrackers she owned!
:dunno:
You've now reminded me of all those aforementioned Christmases using the damn things and just ending up with millions of shards of shell all over the living room and on me (along with the actual nut that I was trying to release in the first place).

I'd just clicked off from the 'Cromer' thread having tuned out from the local news while I'd been reading it. Tuned back in while clicking on this one and the first word I heard was 'Cromer' lol A neat little bit of minor strangeness!

We had a strange one the other day. This light had run out of batteries ages ago. When the batteries are going only the red lights show. I walked into the sitting room the other day and the red lights were twinkling (which is what it does when it’s working). Only for a couple of minutes and then it died again. I also have one in my room but it didn’t even have the last round of batteries so it’s been dead even longer. The same day that one came on again briefly. Now it was when we had the hottest days and I’m wondering if the heat had given the batteries just a little more life.

Attachments

• IMG_2308.jpeg
    IMG_2308.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 23
You've now reminded me of all those aforementioned Christmases using the damn things and just ending up with millions of shards of shell all over the living room and on me (along with the actual nut that I was trying to release in the first place).
The trick is to open the nuts BEFORE you have the eggnog.

i tried to find the right thread for this but was scratching my head, as it’s not really IHTM, so please could mods move it, if need be?

I bought two books earlier in the year, Mysteries of Mercia, by Hugh Williams. They’re self-published but genuinely good as the author has roamed all over the boundaries of ancient Mercia and beyond, taken pictures, written about the places and some of them I’d never heard of despite having read a glut of books about Mysterious Britain.
It makes me wonder how many of these little, out of the way places of interest have been forgotten except by the people who live there or happen to stumble across them. The fact Williams does roam around means he comes across places that may have slipped through the ’ancient/mysterious’ places net.

I follow the author on FB and because I haven’t finished the books, I was fascinated by this post. I am sort of familiar with the area (near Kington) and my sister spent a week before the pandemic nearby. She and my BiL drove around as they usually but never came across it, which isn’t surprising.
I found the place on Google Earth and my partner looked at the tiny lane and said, ‘I’m not driving down that road!’ But you never know. It looks like such an interesting place and if it doesn’t have an atmosphere I’ll eat my socks.

Attachments

• IMG_6037.jpeg
    IMG_6037.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6038.jpeg
    IMG_6038.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6039.jpeg
    IMG_6039.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6040.jpeg
    IMG_6040.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6041.jpeg
    IMG_6041.jpeg
    492.2 KB · Views: 22
My minor strangeness is, again, more of a coincidence, probably caused by hyperawareness of the subject.

I'm currently writing a book where one of the characters is an historian, who thinks he's found a previously unsuspected Roman settlement. Finished the current section, went for a run and then came in, put on the TV and decided to watch the most recent series of Digging For Britain. Put on Episode One, and what happens in the very first episode? The discovery of a previously unsuspected Roman settlement...

My minor strangeness is, again, more of a coincidence, probably caused by hyperawareness of the subject.

I'm currently writing a book where one of the characters is an historian, who thinks he's found a previously unsuspected Roman settlement. Finished the current section, went for a run and then came in, put on the TV and decided to watch the most recent series of Digging For Britain. Put on Episode One, and what happens in the very first episode? The discovery of a previously unsuspected Roman settlement...
You write it, it'll happen.

Please could you write a book about world peace, humans living on Mars, having a wonderful time in the future...thanks.

Yesterday we were eating outdoors at the Marina when Techy noticed that his fork was severely bent, like a Uri Geller trick.
I said 'You'd think whoever put the the cutlery out'd've spotted that!' but he said it had been OK when he started eating.

Like this -
- Breakfasts arrived
- We started eating
- Toast arrived. We put forks down and used knives to butter the toast
- Picked up forks again to continue eating, Techy notices bent fork
- Techy mentions this, I snort and continue eating.

Techy bent the fork back into shape, which took some force, and carried on with breakfast.
We immediately forgot about this until just now, nearly 24 hours later.

Yesterday we were eating outdoors at the Marina when Techy noticed that his fork was severely bent, like a Uri Geller trick.
I said 'You'd think whoever put the the cutlery out'd've spotted that!' but he said it had been OK when he started eating.

Like this -
- Breakfasts arrived
- We started eating
- Toast arrived. We put forks down and used knives to butter the toast
- Picked up forks again to continue eating, Techy notices bent fork
- Techy mentions this, I snort and continue eating.

Techy bent the fork back into shape, which took some force, and carried on with breakfast.
We immediately forgot about this until just now, nearly 24 hours later.
It's a sign that Uri is doing something to help Israel in their time of need.
I'm just off to check my cutlery drawer...

We went back to the Marina for cake and coffee.

I asked if they had a ghost - nope, but when I mentioned Techy's fork malarkey they told me they've been noticing bent forks cropping up.

They'd assumed it was the dishwasher until I pointed out that Techy's was OK until he put it down and picked it up again.

They certainly hadn't noticed any bent forks when putting them out.

I had to retell the story about 6 times as more people came in!

Back