• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

A minor weird phenomenon happened to me last week, when I was staying at my parents' home, in the Western suburbs of Paris. They live in a small house, built in 1998-1999, on the margins of a large wood. The house is fairly recent, and the place it has been built on doesn't have any historical significance. It is said that one of the favourites of king Louis XIVth once had a castle in the area, but I doubt this has any relevance with what happened. Anyway, the "castle" was dismantled in the late 19th century and replaced with rows of private residences. There is no history of haunting in the area and I spent years there without witnessing anything weird until last week.

So here comes the strange event :

One evening, we (me and my parents) had been watching TV on the ground floor. After the movie, we briefly chatted about their recently departed cat, a very nice animal, before I went to my room upstairs. Before going to bed, I decided to make a visit to the toilets, to empty my bladder. Now, there is a 4 m long corridor between my room and the toilets, which stand at the opposite. Once I came out of my room, the lights of the toilets were suddenly switched on. I immediately stopped in my way and thought : "oh, my mother must have been faster than me ! She must be in the WC". But at the same time I realized that the switch of the toilet's light was on the outside of the WC, clearly visible from the corridor and I hadn't seen any hand press it (I was looking straight at it when it happened). So I stood flabbergasted in the middle of the corridor, wondering what had just happened.

At that moment, I heard someone climbing the stairs. It was my mother coming up (my father was still on the ground floor). So I thought, if my mother and my father are not in the toilets, who is it who switched the lights on just in front of my eyes ??? I decidedly walked to the WC, opened the door, and it was indeed empty ! Bizarre !

Now I admit that downstairs, there is a light switch serving another room which sometimes does not work properly. One may press it without effect. So something similar may have happened upstairs. Maybe the switch had been pressed by someone into an unstable equilibrium. And when I walked into the corridor, the vibrations of my steps spread from the ground to the wall, and from the wall to the switch, imbalancing it and actually switching it on. That could be an explanation. But still, this isolated event was quite unsettling !

A thing that happens to me quite regularly is that, on waking, I find myself singing an obscure song in my head, one that I havent heard for years and often ones that I have completely forgotten about! If I have the radio on it is always Radio 4, and it is never a recent song, always an oldie (but never a golden oldie!).
This morning was the strangest yet. The song was Conquistador by Procol Harum, a very minor hit back in the early 1970s. I have never liked Procol Harum (with the exception of Homburg), have never owned this record and cannot recall the last time I even heard it.
I am convinced we can pick up radio transmissions when we are in a hypnopompic state.
Anyone else have anything similar?

Maybe the switch had been pressed by someone into an unstable equilibrium. And when I walked into the corridor, the vibrations of my steps spread from the ground to the wall, and from the wall to the switch, imbalancing it and actually switching it on. That could be an explanation.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Unsettling, though.

maximus otter

A thing that happens to me quite regularly is that, on waking, I find myself singing an obscure song in my head, one that I havent heard for years and often ones that I have completely forgotten about! If I have the radio on it is always Radio 4, and it is never a recent song, always an oldie (but never a golden oldie!).
This morning was the strangest yet. The song was Conquistador by Procol Harum, a very minor hit back in the early 1970s. I have never liked Procol Harum (with the exception of Homburg), have never owned this record and cannot recall the last time I even heard it.
I am convinced we can pick up radio transmissions when we are in a hypnopompic state.
Anyone else have anything similar?
How strange - I wake up almost every morning with a song going on in my head, which tells me that I am feeling fine that day.
All this week nothing, not feeling myself.
The songs are always rock, and I am always singing along with them.

A minor weird phenomenon happened to me last week, when I was staying at my parents' home ...

How familiar are you with the details of which switch(es) control which lights in that house - particularly whatever lighting there is for the stairwell, upstairs landing / corridor, and the WC?

Was the upstairs corridor illuminated (or not) when you exited your room for the WC? If it was, how could you tell the WC's interior light came on with the WC's door closed?

It's not unusual to have switches at each end of a pathway (corridor; stairway) mutually controlling lights along / around the path. Your mother was starting up the stairs at the moment you saw the WC lights come on. Had she tripped a downstairs switch to illuminate the stairwell / upstairs corridor for her move upstairs?

Oh no! - (Far safer easier to just unscrew the trap and empty into a bucket).
I should have done that but I couldn't be bothered and yes, I know I'm lazy.

I couldn't work out why the sink was blocked. I rarely cook and when I do it's usually just steamed vegetables and I'm lazy when it comes to cooking as well.

How strange - I wake up almost every morning with a song going on in my head, which tells me that I am feeling fine that day.
When you're ill, do you wake up with some other type of music in your head?
Is it jazz/disco/rap or something else that's as bad?

Wow ! That's a very positive way to wake up and start a day ! How lucky you are !

How familiar are you with the details of which switch(es) control which lights in that house - particularly whatever lighting there is for the stairwell, upstairs landing / corridor, and the WC?

Was the upstairs corridor illuminated (or not) when you exited your room for the WC? If it was, how could you tell the WC's interior light came on with the WC's door closed?

It's not unusual to have switches at each end of a pathway (corridor; stairway) mutually controlling lights along / around the path. Your mother was starting up the stairs at the moment you saw the WC lights come on. Had she tripped a downstairs switch to illuminate the stairwell / upstairs corridor for her move upstairs?

The switch I am talking about only lights the interior of the water closets. There isn't any other switch for this purpose.

The corridor was dark (lights off), although the light was on in my room, behind me.

The door of the WC was actually "almost" closed. It was slightly open, with maybe a 1 cm wide opening. That's how I could see the lights being turned on inside. The 1 cm gap was dark, and a moment after, there was light coming out from it.

And of course, I heard a distinct "click" sound when the light was turned on. That's what inclines me to think that some vibrations may have moved an instable switch and caused the light to switch on.

And indeed, my mother turned on the lights of the staircase but only after I witnessed this spontaneous lighting of the WC.

When you're ill, do you wake up with some other type of music in your head?
Is it jazz/disco/rap or something else that's as bad?
I haven't been feeling myself all week, so no music at all in my head.
Otherwise, it's just various rock tunes.
And I didn't even realize it until I read 'eziofan's' post.
And I usually wake up singing along with these tunes.

A minor weird phenomenon happened to me last week, when I was staying at my parents' home, in the Western suburbs of Paris. They live in a small house, built in 1998-1999, on the margins of a large wood. The house is fairly recent, and the place it has been built on doesn't have any historical significance. It is said that one of the favourites of king Louis XIVth once had a castle in the area, but I doubt this has any relevance with what happened. Anyway, the "castle" was dismantled in the late 19th century and replaced with rows of private residences. There is no history of haunting in the area and I spent years there without witnessing anything weird until last week.

So here comes the strange event :

One evening, we (me and my parents) had been watching TV on the ground floor. After the movie, we briefly chatted about their recently departed cat, a very nice animal, before I went to my room upstairs. Before going to bed, I decided to make a visit to the toilets, to empty my bladder. Now, there is a 4 m long corridor between my room and the toilets, which stand at the opposite. Once I came out of my room, the lights of the toilets were suddenly switched on. I immediately stopped in my way and thought : "oh, my mother must have been faster than me ! She must be in the WC". But at the same time I realized that the switch of the toilet's light was on the outside of the WC, clearly visible from the corridor and I hadn't seen any hand press it (I was looking straight at it when it happened). So I stood flabbergasted in the middle of the corridor, wondering what had just happened.

At that moment, I heard someone climbing the stairs. It was my mother coming up (my father was still on the ground floor). So I thought, if my mother and my father are not in the toilets, who is it who switched the lights on just in front of my eyes ??? I decidedly walked to the WC, opened the door, and it was indeed empty ! Bizarre !

Now I admit that downstairs, there is a light switch serving another room which sometimes does not work properly. One may press it without effect. So something similar may have happened upstairs. Maybe the switch had been pressed by someone into an unstable equilibrium. And when I walked into the corridor, the vibrations of my steps spread from the ground to the wall, and from the wall to the switch, imbalancing it and actually switching it on. That could be an explanation. But still, this isolated event was quite unsettling !
Have your parents ever mentioned anything about strange happenings at the house?

Strangely enough, I borrowed a sink plunger from my neighbour tonight. My kitchen sink was blocked and 6 inches or so deep in rancid water. It did the trick, eventually.

My first go shot out loads of stinking water through the over flow thing where the chain attaches for the plug. It didn't taste so good. My t shirt looked like death on Halloween or something from the series Supernatural. Gaffer tape to the rescue after drying off around the over flow.

Sink plungers always remind me of the Daleks.
Oh no! - (Far safer easier to just unscrew the trap and empty into a bucket).
I quite like that sense of satisfaction though when you plunge a sink or toilet and it suddenly clears. I use a compressed air gun quite often and that can cause a spectacular splash back from the overflow if you forget to cover itor pump it up too high:)

I learnt long ago to remember to keep my mouth shut before pushing the plunger/pressing the button. I haven't been quite so successful though in remembering to keep my mouth shut at other times...

I quite like that sense of satisfaction though when you plunge a sink or toilet and it suddenly clears. I use a compressed air gun quite often and that can cause a spectacular splash back from the overflow if you forget to cover itor pump it up too high:)

I learnt long ago to remember to keep my mouth shut before pushing the plunger/pressing the button. I haven't been quite so successful though in remembering to keep my mouth shut at other times...
Bathroom basin traps are the worst. Small and hidden behind the pedestal. As ours is all tiled in it's even more awkward to fix. Last time it happened, I went outside, up the ladder and disconnected the push- fit waste pipe (not the glued type, luckily), shouted to MrsF to turn the tap on while I inserted a thin metal bar into the pipe to dislodge the blockage. Woosh- all the gunk came flying out. Put the waste back together and it's been fine ever since.

My dad's favourite music was The Warsaw Concerto by Richard Addinsell.
Dad passed away in 1986. 9 years later I had to go for an operation. I was scared spitless. I got into my car after hearing the news. Guess what was on the radio?

In 2005 I'd reached the end of my tether with my wife. Guess what I heard on someone's radio? (Still together BTW).

Yesterday I found out I have to have another operation.
Guess what was playing on the radio?

I've heard it couple of times on other channels over the years but the timing freaks me out.
Well, that is just an "amazing coincidence" or not. Hmmm. You have survived each episode of the music, so maybe its just a sign of an important change or decision point, rather than doom. Good luck with your operation. The older I get, the more I dislike doctors and dentists, and try to view them as necessary unpleasantness.

Well, that is just an "amazing coincidence" or not. Hmmm. You have survived each episode of the music, so maybe its just a sign of an important change or decision point, rather than doom. Good luck with your operation. The older I get, the more I dislike doctors and dentists, and try to view them as necessary unpleasantness.
Wasn't this the last free broadcast played on Radio Poland, just as Warsaw fell during The Second World War?

Wasn't this the last free broadcast played on Radio Poland, just as Warsaw fell during The Second World War?

Not without time travel being involved. "Warsaw Concerto" was composed for the movie Dangerous Moonlight. The movie's initial release was in June 1941 - almost 2 years after Warsaw fell.

Last night, I got up at 2:30 am and went outside to see the red lunar eclipse. It was hours past the prime viewing, but it was still a partial eclipse and yes, the moon was pink! Wonderful and weird. I stared until my neck started aching, then went back to bed, feeling virtuous.

https://www.space.com/super-flower-blood-moon-eclipse-tonight

Did anyone else see this?

Too overcast by us.
Since Mr EA is interested in the sky and sky stuff, he always tells me when events are coming up. It made me realize that stuff comes up on a regular basis: space station, eclipses, meteor showers, Vandenburg test missiles, etc. So, there will always be a next time. Here in Arizona, its usually dry and clear, so we get to see great stuff. ...but you got the BEACH!!!

Since Mr EA is interested in the sky and sky stuff, he always tells me when events are coming up. It made me realize that stuff comes up on a regular basis: space station, eclipses, meteor showers, Vandenburg test missiles, etc. So, there will always be a next time. Here in Arizona, its usually dry and clear, so we get to see great stuff. ...but you got the BEACH!!!
Yes, there's nothing like our Jersey Shore! I don't think I could live without it.
Amazingly, as soon as we get anywhere near the beach when driving down, I can immediately breathe easier, the air is clean.

But you've got 36c (at night) and guns. I can only dream of such luxury.
Yes. The temperature yesterday reached 42 celsius (107 F).

We live in a very quiet retired community, but have more than sufficient means to defend ourselves from zombies, werewolves, and space aliens, but mostly the meth-heads who try to prey on senior citizens.

Not without time travel being involved. "Warsaw Concerto" was composed for the movie Dangerous Moonlight. The movie's initial release was in June 1941 - almost 2 years after Warsaw fell.
I stand corrected EG. I was thinking of another city, another siege, and Shostakovich's Seventh Symphony.

Ano Domini mate.

Last edited:
Yes. The temperature yesterday reached 42 celsius (107 F).

We live in a very quiet retired community, but have more than sufficient means to defend ourselves from zombies, werewolves, and space aliens, but mostly the meth-heads who try to prey on senior citizens.
Arrgggh! 107 Degrees?? And how's the humidity?

Back