• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I've always thought it was a myth, but I've just found out that my own Son In Law (well, one of them), thought reindeer were mythical, like unicorns. He's Australian though, bless him, and had never seen one until a recent visit to Europe, so I gave him a pass.

I'm sitting at my laptop and just smelled a strong flowery scent. It vanished as soon as I became aware of it. There's nobody else here and no flowers in the house.
I had that experience in the job I used to do! In a woodworking factory working a very old one-hundred year old wood planer, and as I moved away from my machine this definite strong waft was evident, with no women in my end of the factory I couldn't fathom where on earth it was coming from as it was directly around me - though when I moved away a few feet it was not in the least bit apparent. Just a bit weird!

Yesterday there was a mild draught in my living room carrying the subtle scent of petrichor (rain on soil) - it came back about an hour ago. Yes it has been raining but I'm not near open ground or a garden. Pleasant though.

All sorts of animals can be milked though. Especially mammals.
Camel milk is popular, I'm told, in a lot of countries.
And I read somewhere about 'cockroach milk'.....dunno if that's a thing or not and ICBAT look it up, but if true, I'll wager that you don't get much milk from a cockroach.

And I thought that the experimental chocolate milk came from the chocolate labs?

1673258782929.png

I've always thought it was a myth, but I've just found out that my own Son In Law (well, one of them), thought reindeer were mythical, like unicorns. He's Australian though, bless him, and had never seen one until a recent visit to Europe, so I gave him a pass.
Still an astonishing amount of people around who have no clue. According to grand daughter a fair number appear on Tik Tok - 2 examples were "How do you breathe in a car?" and "Astronauts should visit the sun at night when it's cold and dark". No these weren't pre teens either.

What were they doing when teachers were trying to educate them.
We do a regular pub quiz and recent had our friends two children to (help) us both in their mid twenties and the depth of their ignorance was frightening just general knowledge and basic history and geography totally bemused them

What were they doing when teachers were trying to educate them.
We do a regular pub quiz and recent had our friends two children to (help) us both in their mid twenties and the depth of their ignorance was frightening just general knowledge and basic history and geography totally bemused them
Best to have a good mix of ages on a quiz team... they might not know their history and geography but they'll be bang on with the latest music, influencers, tik-tok stars and suchlike.

All sorts of animals can be milked though. Especially mammals.
Camel milk is popular, I'm told, in a lot of countries.
And I read somewhere about 'cockroach milk'.....dunno if that's a thing or not and ICBAT look it up, but if true, I'll wager that you don't get much milk from a cockroach.

And I thought that the experimental chocolate milk came from the chocolate labs?

View attachment 62322
Although oat milk and almond milk aren't - as I had thought - the result of pressing said vegetables and nuts until their juice comes out. They are the result of soaking the orignal product in water, squeezing and then the 'milk' is the water that comes off. More of a 'wash' than a 'milk' I'd have thought.

Although oat milk and almond milk aren't - as I had thought - the result of pressing said vegetables and nuts until their juice comes out. They are the result of soaking the orignal product in water, squeezing and then the 'milk' is the water that comes off. More of a 'wash' than a 'milk' I'd have thought.
So does the good almond milk come from special almonds like those special coffee beans that come out of the rear end of a civet or something?
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/160429-kopi-luw

I decided today that it was time to trim a bit off of my toenails cos one had started to catch on my socks occasionally.
So, I get out the usual (quite new and extremely sharp) toenail clippers and set to it, only to discover that my toenails have become quite a bit thicker and harder than previously.
In fact, so much so, that the clippers could not cut through, other than in little nibbles, causing a tiny 'bite' to ping off across the room (I contained their flight though).
I am attributing the thickened nails to my self-inflicted dietary change last summer in which I started eating more fish and nuts.

I decided today that it was time to trim a bit off of my toenails cos one had started to catch on my socks occasionally.
So, I get out the usual (quite new and extremely sharp) toenail clippers and set to it, only to discover that my toenails have become quite a bit thicker and harder than previously.
In fact, so much so, that the clippers could not cut through, other than in little nibbles, causing a tiny 'bite' to ping off across the room (I contained their flight though).
I am attributing the thickened nails to my self-inflicted dietary change last summer in which I started eating more fish and nuts.
I've never been able to do mine without at least a five minute soak in the shower. Even with my fingernails as well actually.

What you need is a quality foot unction like Heel Balm or a fruit-scented body butter. Saves hours of darning.
I have been bought many a heel 'scourer/file' (the latest one is pink and rat/mouse shaped). Useless. I have tried creams etc, but they won't touch the problem. I even once tried an electric sander, but the heat generated from the motion of said sander became too painful.

I have been bought many a heel 'scourer/file' (the latest one is pink and rat/mouse shaped). Useless. I have tried creams etc, but they won't touch the problem. I even once tried an electric sander, but the heat generated from the motion of said sander became too painful.
Heel Balm is what Australians use to prevent their feet becoming crusty when continually exposed to the air in flip-flops. They know whereof they speak. Or rub. ;)

Body butter worked for me when I worked in Crocs all day. Heels like a baby's bum. :cool:

Heel Balm is what Australians use to prevent their feet becoming crusty when continually exposed to the air in flip-flops. They know whereof they speak. Or rub. ;)

Body butter worked for me when I worked in Crocs all day. Heels like a baby's bum. :cool:
The In House GP uses a particularly oily unction when his heels start to crack - I can't remember what it is offhand, could be Heel Balm.

The In House GP uses a particularly oily unction when his heels start to crack - I can't remember what it is offhand, could be Heel Balm.
It's best to prevent the cracking by slathering on your unguent of choice every day.

I once bumped into a rather fancy-pants acquaintance outside the local Body Shop.
As it was summer we were both wearing sandals; her feet were cracked like crazy paving while mine were as usual girlishly smooth.
Couldn't resist pointing this out and magnanimously sharing my secret.

Without a word she turned and marched off into the Shop, no doubt to make a strategic purchase. :chuckle:

When my husband died I gave lots of small coins he had collected to our granddaughters.
As my grandson loves to collect coins I was thinking the other day that it's a shame I didn't have any for him.
Since then I've been finding 5 cent coins again, not a lot but when I open a box or drawer that I've previously put something in recently there will be a coin there.
I like to think that maybe he's still around.
I lost my husband in December. Your post brings me some consolation---if it happened for you, it could maybe happen for me. But I hope the sign of his presence won't be old coins, because nobody I know is a collector.:)

Correct. It contains lanolin from sheep fleece. If you apply if twice a day, it can be a miracle worker.
This is the best known brand:

heelbalm.jpg

I lost my husband in December. Your post brings me some consolation---if it happened for you, it could maybe happen for me. But I hope the sign of his presence won't be old coins, because nobody I know is a collector.:)
:group: Look out for other signs too. Occasionally I will see an orange butterfly in an an unusual place or a white feather and you will think well maybe,,,

Back