• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

It's something but doesn't stop the home invasion of the "give us your keys or else" type. Not such a pleasant world sometimes.
I also swear by never cleaning the car. But then, I drive a diesel Skoda that's ten years old. I'm more likely to get people shoving keys through the letterbox, and yelling at me to get something better.

Sometimes they don't even bother taking all of the car though.

Car stripped for parts in Digbeth while owner at gig
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-64400336
1674737819298.png

I get round it by having a car that’s not worth stealing.
I used to do that, but the little rascals always gave it a try.

Someone I used to know had a rusty old banger and would splash around a bit of petrol onto the carpet in the back. They left it unlocked, and even in a dodgy part of East London it never got nicked. The fumes were enough to send the message that it could explode at any time.

It's something but doesn't stop the home invasion of the "give us your keys or else" type. Not such a pleasant world sometimes.
That does happen, but my car isn't that flashy.

I also swear by never cleaning the car. But then, I drive a diesel Skoda that's ten years old. I'm more likely to get people shoving keys through the letterbox, and yelling at me to get something better.
It was always my theory that it was smart to make sure my car always looked a good deal worse than whatever neighborhood I was in.

Minor (and probably explicable) strangeness. On Friday I did a load of washing in my (admittedly ancient and a bit crap) machine. Took it out and hung it up and then came back to realise that all the lights were out on the machine and it was dead. I've browsed the internet for a replacement, because I know this machine is on its last legs. Went down today and fiddled about a bit with the mains switch and pressed a few buttons - and Lo! It sprang back into life again and did another wash.

Yes, I know it's probably water getting into the circuits or something. But I'm just impressed that it actually came back on!

Another bit of strangeness in the rear bedroom at mine where all the strangeness seems to have happened over the past 20 odd years. A picture that has hung there on proper picture wire for 30 years suddenly disappeared from the wall on Tuesday. Now I have to admit I got a touch freaked out until I spotted a length of wire poking out from behind the radiator and there was the picture. How it had moved about a foot to the left when it fell to get into that position I don't know. Couldn't fish it out and had to waste an hour to remove the radiator to get access. Fortunately only minor damage to the frame, but there seemed to be no evidence of fraying to the wire where it had snapped. Gone off for a bit of restoration so I think I'll move it to another room (which is not so weird) when it comes back to see if it behaves itself.

I was in my front garden and noticed a yellow sedan coming down the court. I wondered where it was going as noone here has one like it.
I'm in the curve and have a few shrubs but I saw it turn then go behind some bushes but it didn't come out to go back down.
I thought it must have gone next door although it wasn't any of their usual visitors so I walked onto the road being a stickybeak but it was nowhere to be seen .
I thought that I must be off today as I thought I'd heard someone calling my name earlier and later the 3 toots of the car horn my friend's husband makes when he comes to take out the bins and collect the magazine and lollies I have for his wife.

You won't be so impressed when more water gets in and you get electrocuted. :oops:
I am thinking the trip switch will have thrown long before this happens. The switches were all intact, it hadn't thrown out, so I'm thinking it may not be water getting in. The machine is very sensitive to being moved at all, and will often throw a sulk if I try to relocate it, so I'm guessing there's a loose connection in there somewhere.

I am thinking the trip switch will have thrown long before this happens. The switches were all intact, it hadn't thrown out, so I'm thinking it may not be water getting in. The machine is very sensitive to being moved at all, and will often throw a sulk if I try to relocate it, so I'm guessing there's a loose connection in there somewhere.
Well don't come running to us with your legs blown off.

Washing machines are a pain to move. There was a time when I could lift one 'bear hug' style off the ground with no problem, but not now.
Some bod had an idea of instead of using a concrete block to weigh the machine down, to use a big water tank that could be drained when the machine needed to be moved. Good idea in theory, but it didn't catch on. Too much risk of a leak I suppose.

Washing machines are a pain to move. There was a time when I could lift one 'bear hug' style off the ground with no problem, but not now.
Some bod had an idea of instead of using a concrete block to weigh the machine down, to use a big water tank that could be drained when the machine needed to be moved. Good idea in theory, but it didn't catch on. Too much risk of a leak I suppose.
There used to be a metal 'immobilising bar' in washing machines which had to be removed before use. New machines have big bolts in the back for this purpose, as I recently discovered when ours arrived.

I'd normally install a washer myself but Techy insisted on having the plumber in. Plumber reckons that as the information about the bolts is a bit tucked away in the manual, people who don't read it all and just go ahead are in trouble. He's met some!

Back