• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I was going to ask. I've never heard that one before. And for the record, the only prunes I've had were tinned ones, and I wasn't keen.
I think they only come in tins, I've never seen them in any other form.
Prunes're great. :D

You can get them vacuum-packed in supermarkets. I sometimes buy them online.
If you don't like the stones you can buy them without, although you might check them anyway in case one's slipped through.

Prunes're good in porridge and overnight oats. I sometimes take some to work on an early shift. Stops me falling asleep later. :chuckle:

This weekend saw the clocks go forward by one hour in the UK & Ireland, for daylight saving time (DST, also known as BST, British Summer Time in GB & NI).

Myself & my SO were away for the whole weekend (irrelevantly, on a long-distance theatre trip). On returning home, my first deliberate act after putting-down our suitcases was to walk directly to the living-room clock on the mantlepiece, to wind it forwards by an hour.

But no: it had all been too much for it. The combined traumas of being left alone for a couple of days, and being unadjusted from Greenwich Mean Time, had stopped its hands dead in their rotational tracks.

Or: more likely, the battery needs to be changed (but... when I say "changed", I mean exchanged tomorrow for the spare one I've fruitlessly tried already fitting in it).

Last edited:
- Or people realised that the danger to the general public was minimal in the first place, so begin to ignore the shrieks of "We're all going to die!"

maximus otter
Well, of course we're all going to die! . . . Eventually.
(If you have other plans, let me know.
They should at least knock!
Maybe slugs are too squishy to be able to knock properly.

At long last a case of minor strangeness to share—unless it was a self fulfilling prophecy:

Several times during work the image of a particular bus route flashed in my mind's eye. That particular bus–I'll call it bus 24–can get me home earlier than other lines, but it runs only twice an hour. If I hurry after work I can catch it.

I planned to go grocery shopping after work though, and usually take a different bus (call it bus 11) from the store. I thought maybe I could take bus 24 directly from work tomorrow and manifest what my mind's eye had shown me, just to help maintain order in the universe :wink2:. But I'd just missed bus 11, the one from the store. I'd have to wait nearly 20 minutes for the next bus 11. If I took a bus back downtown (very out of my way) I could chose between several other buses to get home and maybe get home faster. So I did that.

I go back downtown (the bus going that direction came in 3 minutes), get off, and just get to the stop where I transfer when bus 24 comes rolling up.

If I'd just waited (bored out of my mind) 20 minutes for bus 11, I would have gotten home about 5 minutes sooner, but at least I fulfilled my destiny for the day. :salute:

At long last a case of minor strangeness to share—unless it was a self fulfilling prophecy:

Several times during work the image of a particular bus route flashed in my mind's eye. That particular bus–I'll call it bus 24–can get me home earlier than other lines, but it runs only twice an hour. If I hurry after work I can catch it.

I planned to go grocery shopping after work though, and usually take a different bus (call it bus 11) from the store. I thought maybe I could take bus 24 directly from work tomorrow and manifest what my mind's eye had shown me, just to help maintain order in the universe :wink2:. But I'd just missed bus 11, the one from the store. I'd have to wait nearly 20 minutes for the next bus 11. If I took a bus back downtown (very out of my way) I could chose between several other buses to get home and maybe get home faster. So I did that.

I go back downtown (the bus going that direction came in 3 minutes), get off, and just get to the stop where I transfer when bus 24 comes rolling up.

If I'd just waited (bored out of my mind) 20 minutes for bus 11, I would have gotten home about 5 minutes sooner, but at least I fulfilled my destiny for the day. :salute:
You need a Bus App. :nods:
Takes the mystery out of waiting.

This evening I was suprised to see my sister walking along my road, with her dog.

She was walking quickly, which is unusual for her, and she had longer hair than when I recently saw her.

She also looked about 15 years younger.

After about three seconds I realised it was not my sister, but a woman who looked a lot like a younger version of her, same build, same hair colour, same clothing style and same breed of dog!

Her dog is not an especially common breed.

I don't think it was a time slip etc, but it definitely threw me for a bit.

That's very impressive, I had no idea phone apps were so advanced! Is the journey instantaneous, then, or does it still take as long as travelling on a physical bus?

but a woman who looked a lot like a younger version of her,
I've often wondered whether the universe somehow generates certain perfected combinations, and that in so doing they are preordained to reoccur as convergent evolutions. My gut feeling is that this is beyond the mere eye of the beholder, a multifaceted product of every vector from the most overt, right-down to the tiniest subtlety: yet paradoxically still retaining differences of outcome and interaction.

Last edited:
This evening I was suprised to see my sister walking along my road, with her dog.

She was walking quickly, which is unusual for her, and she had longer hair than when I recently saw her.

She also looked about 15 years younger.

After about three seconds I realised it was not my sister, but a woman who looked a lot like a younger version of her, same build, same hair colour, same clothing style and same breed of dog!

Her dog is not an especially common breed.

I don't think it was a time slip etc, but it definitely threw me for a bit.
Recently I spotted my son in his car probably 30 miles away from where he lives and works. During the day when he should have been at work. I turned round and began to chase him and pulling up behind him realised that his car reg was different. Driving past I couldn't believe how identical the driver was to said son and how identical his car was. (son insists on driving small tatty old green Jap car). Driver gave me a strange look and I wondered whether how identical to his father I am. At the weekend we were stood on the local supermarket escalator when Ms P said Michael (other son) is stood behind us, despite him living 50 miles away. Turned round and found a complete doppelganger of Michael, so much so that I had to say something. The guy just laughed. I was tempted to ask if he was a relative but discretion got the better of me. Strange bit of coincidence.

Takes the mystery out of waiting.
I used a bus app after I'd been for my retinopathy check-up last year. There was supposed to be a bus about every seven or eight minutes. All it did was let me know the bus had been cancelled earlier than I would have known by just standing at the bus stop. I think I waited three quarters of an hour before one deigned to run.

Edward Jones had been expecting to crawl through the Birth Canal, a narrow, twisty passage deep in the Nutty Putty complex.
Cavers had already negotiated it successfully and there are videos of some of their joyous efforts on YouTube.

Jones' mistake was to take a wrong turn which led him to enter an unfamiliar, unmapped tunnel. There are no signposts down there.

Have to say that an even bigger mistake was to be tooling around in caves in the first place when he had a pregnant wife and a young child at home.

I speak with the authority of having personally laid down the law over this. :mad:

I have, over the course of the years, mis-identified a number of people at close range, so much so that I believe that I suffer from a mild case of Prosopagnosia (face blindness).
One bloke I knew particularly well who had the surname 'Currie' was just called 'Currie' by everyone without using his silly first name.
I saw him walking towards me one day and acknowledged him with a nod of my head and said 'Currie!'.
It wasn't him at all and the bloke looked obviously quite surprised. "Sorry mate, I thought you were someone else" I said.
He probably told his mates later how some random bloke had said 'Curry' to him.

I have, over the course of the years, mis-identified a number of people at close range, so much so that I believe that I suffer from a mild case of Prosopagnosia (face blindness).

I’ve experienced seeing someone I know very well (as in a family member) in a place that I don’t expect to see them and for just a moment, simply not recognising them because I just didn’t expect to see them there.

I’ve experienced seeing someone I know very well (as in a family member) in a place that I don’t expect to see them and for just a moment, simply not recognising them because I just didn’t expect to see them there.
When I worked in hospitals, if I were out somewhere else I'd sometimes see people staring intently at my face.

They recognised me, but only from the neck up! :chuckle:

This weekend saw the clocks go forward by one hour in the UK & Ireland, for daylight saving time (DST, also known as BST, British Summer Time in GB & NI).

Myself & my SO were away for the whole weekend (irrelevantly, on a long-distance theatre trip). On returning home, my first deliberate act after putting-down our suitcases was to walk directly to the living-room clock on the mantlepiece, to wind it forwards by an hour.

But no: it had all been too much for it. The combined traumas of being left alone for a couple of days, and being unadjusted from Greenwich Mean Time, had stopped its hands dead in their rotational tracks.

Or: more likely, the battery needs to be changed (but... when I say "changed", I mean exchanged tomorrow for the spare one I've fruitlessly tried already fitting in it).
I once picked up a clock to dust the shelf it was sat on and it never worked again....

To this day, people still wave and say hello to me, and I have no idea who they are!
I don't know if it's the long blonde hair or what it is, but I'm always being told that I look like so-and-so, and when they get up close they realize it's not them.
Almost every single day if I'm walking down the road drivers will beep and wave - I must have one of those plain faces that look like everyone!

To this day, people still wave and say hello to me, and I have no idea who they are!
I don't know if it's the long blonde hair or what it is, but I'm always being told that I look like so-and-so, and when they get up close they realize it's not them.
Almost every single day if I'm walking down the road drivers will beep and wave - I must have one of those plain faces that look like everyone!
That happened to Mrs DT a few months ago Ronnie. We were in the local pub. I’d popped to the gents & on my way back saw that a guy who must have been in his mid-60’s was sitting at our table chatting to Mrs DT like he’d known her for years. Mrs DT saw me and was pulling a face that said HELP!!!! Lol.

God knows who he thought she was, but he called her Sarah a couple of times, so I guess he thought she was Sarah – who ever she is.

I thought it incredibly amusing. Mrs DT not so much so :)

Back