• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Though it would be a pretty extreme case there is a known problem called mains creep were due to the 50 cycle alternating current on the mains system screws and plugs tend to come loose over time. You talk of 115v so I take it you are not uk based so I don’t know if you’re systems are effected.

Last night Techy went to the kitchen for a snack or whatever. In there he heard on t'wireless about the two men who sadly collapsed and died during a half marathon.

He came back and said 'Did you hear that on the news? Mad, eh!'
I said 'Hear what? There's no TV or radio on in here so how would I hear it? I've been at work all day so I dunno what you're on about!

But he swears that I actually repeated to him the news about the race, with the location, event, number of type of deaths and so on. This morning I mentioned it again and he was still adamant that I'd known all about it.

Actually, it's just a bloke not listening to his wife, no mystery there!

Sounds like my mother when she was alive she was absolutely adamant that I knew what ever it was even when I hadn’t a clue as to what she was talking about

Sounds like my mother when she was alive she was absolutely adamant that I knew what ever it was even when I hadn’t a clue as to what she was talking about

I get this ALL the time off the wife, she always insists she told me such n such, but i swear she hasn't, apparently I "never listen"

he heard on t'wireless about the two men who sadly collapsed and died during a half marathon.
My Google Home companion told me that news story: do you have one on the fridge?

Surely FTMB considers it odd that a race (that has had no fatalities during its entire history) should suddenly experience two within 4 minutes of each-other, both on the finish line?

Thank Fort there wasn't a third....

My Google Home companion told me that news story: do you have one on the fridge?

Surely FTMB considers it odd that a race (that has had no fatalities during its entire history) should suddenly experience two within 4 minutes of each-other, both on the finish line?

Just a coincidence, then again I am not a big believer in coincidences, they tend to be a itch I cant scratch.

My friend was running in that half marathon, so I am devoutly glad that there wasn't a third, it might have been her!

No, I'd been very busy at work all day with no time to follow the news. I knew nothing about the race. I certainly didn't repeat it all in a 'Yes, it happened like this blah blah blah!' way.

Last night Techy went to the kitchen for a snack or whatever. In there he heard on t'wireless about the two men who sadly collapsed and died during a half marathon.

He came back and said 'Did you hear that on the news? Mad, eh!'
I said 'Hear what? There's no TV or radio on in here so how would I hear it? I've been at work all day so I dunno what you're on about!

But he swears that I actually repeated to him the news about the race, with the location, event, number of type of deaths and so on. This morning I mentioned it again and he was still adamant that I'd known all about it.

Actually, it's just a bloke not listening to his wife, no mystery there!
You seem to have a significant effect on men Ms E.:)

I have two watches for work which I alternate as the batteries run out.

One recently kept stopping just as I looked at it, which is weird in itself. I'd reset it and it'd run ok for a bit.

So I meant to take it home but forgot it, and when I picked it up this morning it was spot-on. This was weird though, as I'll explain.

Last time I saw it at Thursday lunchtime it was stopped.

However, it seems to have restarted but this morning, once again it stopped as I looked at it.

Here's a photo of both watches. The dark one has stopped, and the difference in time is how long it took me to say 'WTF!', get my phone out and snap them.

IMG_20181013_083248369.jpg

So maybe it spontaneously restarted on Thursday or yesterday (Friday) and stopped at 8:33 or so after that.

Anyway I'm highly entertained so the watch can stay.

Something happened on Wednesday teatime which spooked me and has been bothering me since. At roughly half five, I was cooking tea and while I was waiting for the water for my pasta to boil. I killed some time by practising my melodeon in preparation for an acoustic session I attended later that evening. I got thirty seconds or so into a tune when an almighty BANG! came from the window.
At the time, I was sitting on my settee and was actually looking out through the window at the same time. I saw nothing hit the window and bounce off. It was a still evening so nothing could have been blown by the wind and I live 3 floors up, so no-one(a music-hater perhaps) could have walked past and banged on the glass unless they were either 30 feet tall or wearing long stilts.

The bang sounded just like a hand smacking into the glass, or some other similar heavy but soft object, such as a bird strike. I checked the glass and found no imprint of any kind.

I somehow get the feeling that something(or someone) doesn't like me playing musical instruments at home. This could also explain the strange feeling that somehow has a way of roadblocking my creative side whenever I try to write or play any instruments at home. It's like a heavy blanket has been thrown over me.

Something happened on Wednesday teatime which spooked me and has been bothering me since. At roughly half five, I was cooking tea and while I was waiting for the water for my pasta to boil. I killed some time by practising my melodeon in preparation for an acoustic session I attended later that evening. I got thirty seconds or so into a tune when an almighty BANG! came from the window.
At the time, I was sitting on my settee and was actually looking out through the window at the same time. I saw nothing hit the window and bounce off. It was a still evening so nothing could have been blown by the wind and I live 3 floors up, so no-one(a music-hater perhaps) could have walked past and banged on the glass unless they were either 30 feet tall or wearing long stilts.

The bang sounded just like a hand smacking into the glass, or some other similar heavy but soft object, such as a bird strike. I checked the glass and found no imprint of any kind.

I somehow get the feeling that something(or someone) doesn't like me playing musical instruments at home. This could also explain the strange feeling that somehow has a way of roadblocking my creative side whenever I try to write or play any instruments at home. It's like a heavy blanket has been thrown over me.
Could it have been a bird?

when an almighty BANG! came from the window.

Some window bird-strikes leave an imprint, but others do not. And I've heard/seen some impressive impacts, yet the bird has managed to fly off (I'm never convinced it would've been long for this world, after an impact like that, though).

Presumably your windows have double-glazed panes? These tend to magnify direct physical impact noises, whilst attenuating sound. Someone tapping on the outside of a ground-floor window can sound like a whole percussion section.

Another impact source could've been a captured prey corpse (rodent etc) side-falling from the claws of a bird into the window, which has then been recaptured by the dropping raptor, resulting in zero evidence left for the eyes of the disturbee.

It's like a heavy blanket has been thrown over me.
Now: that's understandable, but irrational on your part.

Play on.

Even if it somehow was approbation from a malcontented spirit, you are entitled to make music you want to, in your world. The vibrations we create are a legitimate extension of our own existences: don't be supressed by circumstantial supposition.

I wonder if you have a punitive super-ego. A part of your unconscious mind that hinders you. I've got one, too, and it's derailed my plans in quite mysterious ways over the years. The more I fought it, the more extravagant the failures, to the point where it looked like a comedy. :oops:

Realizing this gave me ideas about why some paranormal phenomena happens the way it does.

Interestingly, I once heard of a Native American ritual that was double layered, for similar reasons. One layer - an elaborate gift giving to the mother goddess - was meant to distract her from the true ritual, which was meant to secure good fortune for the tribe.

Not saying it couldn't have been an ordinary bird or whatever, but since you seem to be having a consistent problem, I thought I'd mention it.

Back