Minor Strangeness

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
NEVER underestimate what is known about people by those who work behind the till. I work in a little local Co Op and the things customers tell me (and the detail in which they tell it) tend to stay with me. I could tell you which of my customers are related, who used to go out with who, who beat who up in primary school etc etc. Other customers wouldn't know they'd been discussed by the person two people before them in the queue, but I'd practically know their life history!
so... relating this to my own post about the out-of-the-blue intuition in ASDA that the old lady in front of me in the queue might not have been as nice-little-old-lady as she looked. I know the staff of the local middling-sized ASDA fairly well: I can bet they know more about me than I think! Older ladies, forties and fifties, very, very, shrewd. Thinking back to the intuition the old lady might have been doing some freelance shopping.... the till lady is one i know well, very forgiving, very motherly, very clued up on her customers. Now i'm just betting that "Martha" behind the till would have been even more aware than I was that an old lady who looks like she barely had a handful of loose change to rub together might deserve a break now and again. Knowing "Martha", I'm inclined to wonder if she was fully aware this old lady might slip something inside her coat now and again, and provided she wasn't blatant about it, didn't take the piss by doing it under the direct observation of staff, and didn't do it too often, then she, "Martha" on the till, might choose not to notice... sense of natural justice and all that. Although I've known "Martha" to have absolutely no mercy on the occassion a classic "chav" customer, a thoroughly unpleasant lady who nobody who has met her can find many kind words for, really was blatantly nicking high-end stuff and then denying it. (You know all the stereotypes that can get flung at a benefit claimant living on a council estate? Unfortunately every so often you run into people who are their walking embodiment. There is just enough truth in the prejudice, sometimes. Alas. This family have moved on, or been moved on, since, thank goodness). Fight in the store with manager and security guard, police called, nick made...

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Knowing "Martha", I'm inclined to wonder if she was fully aware this old lady might slip something inside her coat now and again, and provided she wasn't blatant about it, didn't take the piss by doing it under the direct observation of staff, and didn't do it too often, then she, "Martha" on the till, might choose not to notice...
Because it’s not like the firm would identify the losses, then pass them on to you and me in price rises, is it? Or simply go bust?

Theft is theft. There is no Magic Money Tree.

maximus otter

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Because it’s not like the firm would identify the losses, then pass them on to you and me in price rises, is it? Or simply go bust?

Theft is theft. There is no Magic Money Tree.

maximus otter
Most supermarkets operate a bonus scheme that even covers shop floor staff and 'shrinkage' (the stock for which there is no account), is part of it. Nick from Tesco and you're nicking from the regular shelf-stackers and till operators.

Trevp666

Ephemeral Spectre
I knew of someone who worked in a supermarket where any items that were no longer of merchantable quality (split packs, ripped boxes, dented items from being dropped etc etc) were basically given to the staff for pennies. Funny how they seemed to have an enormous amount of stuff split, ripped or dented, and it was always the things that the staff actually wanted. Never tins of artichoke hearts or bags of garlic flavoured cous cous.....

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
That won't happen now all supermarkets have slit each other's throats. There are not enough staff to cover tasks. On average for ever £1 lost it takes £100 in sales to cover it. Every theft reduces a budget allocated to staff hours and makes their job so much harder. The shareholder never suffers from such theft.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
That won't happen now all supermarkets have slit each other's throats. There are not enough staff to cover tasks. On average for ever £1 lost it takes £100 in sales to cover it. Every theft reduces a budget allocated to staff hours and makes their job so much harder. The shareholder never suffers from such theft.
More of the Race to the Bottom mentality. The worst of it is, the bottom doesn't seem to get any closer.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
I know at ASDA that if a kid eats fruit or chocolate, whatever, you can tell them on the till and they will give you a token, it is priced up to a quid, i presume they charge you the extra if its something over a quid

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
All goes to show that there are grey areas... I agree theft is theft, but just sometimes... also thinking about what Robert Anton Wilson called "the revenge of the repressed". Walmart/ASDA is not the best employer in the world and I sense long-term employees there can get a bit pissed off with the bosses, so they might not pursue things like this too strenuously, as a sort of passive "screw you". I do remember the woman who had a kind of "neighbour from Hell" vibe about her and who was well known in the area got very short shrift when she was caught out nicking and encouraging her kids to do the nicking - nobody was inclined to be in the least bit sympathetic with her or to cut her any slack. None whatsoever, I guess what Terry Pratchett dramatised as "the rough music" started playing with a vengeance...

Meechyemoo

Fresh Blood
Teapot synchronicity!

A friend sent me a random photo of a teapot belonging to a friend she was visiting today. No reason. Just random teapot photo.

But it turned out to be the same teapot I used for my peppermint tea whilst having lunch at the Edwardian Tearooms in the Birmingham museum and art gallery today. I recognised it because I had admired the teapot and thought how I'd like to own one.
Talking of teapots.

I'm selling a basic teapot on a selling site and was messaging the buyer. A what's app from a friend who's birthday popped up. I clicked it and typed happy birthday only to have actually messaged the buyer. Of course I apologised but the buyer came back "it is my birthday".

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Talking of teapots.

I'm selling a basic teapot on a selling site and was messaging the buyer. A what's app from a friend who's birthday popped up. I clicked it and typed happy birthday only to have actually messaged the buyer. Of course I apologised but the buyer came back "it is my birthday".
That's nuts! Brilliant.

Scribbles

Ephemeral Spectre
Talking of teapots.

Love this!

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Woke this morning at 7 am, everything was a bright pink, even the curtains looked pink,
looked outside and the sky and houses were the same, I have seen a red sky in the morning
but this was very strange but I am sure was connected to the same effect, by 8 am all was
back to normal, anyone else notice anything.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Woke this morning at 7 am, everything was a bright pink, even the curtains looked pink,
looked outside and the sky and houses were the same, I have seen a red sky in the morning
but this was very strange but I am sure was connected to the same effect, by 8 am all was
There was a lovely red dawn here too. Very pretty indeed.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Had a slightly odd occurrence last night. I climbed into bed and suddenly felt my top lip swell up.
Got up and had a look in a mirror. It had suddenly popped out in a swelling, almost as if it was an allergic reaction or an insect bite.
I looked around the bed to see if there was an insect or spider, but there was nothing.
When I woke up this morning, all was back to normal.

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
Nylon sheets? Or at least dry, minimal/nil cotton?

It had suddenly popped out in a swelling
Have been zapped by static electricity in bed. Especially overseas, when low humidity. Can give a very-noticable localised burn, which gives brief swelling then no trace.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Had a slightly odd occurrence last night. I climbed into bed and suddenly felt my top lip swell up.
Got up and had a look in a mirror. It had suddenly popped out in a swelling, almost as if it was an allergic reaction or an insect bite.
I looked around the bed to see if there was an insect or spider, but there was nothing.
When I woke up this morning, all was back to normal.
Just a guess, but perhaps it was contact dermatitis. Was the swelling itchy? That said, if it was an allergic reaction I would have thought more of your face would have been affected.

Some years ago I had contact dermatitis and it seemed to be at its worst when I was in bed. After a few nights of waking up in the wee hours to discover I was scratching my own face I went to my GP. She gave me a prescription which cleared it up very quickly. I've no idea what might have caused it because there was nothing new in my home environment such a different laundry soap, etc. It was very odd because I had never before experienced it and it hasn't happened since then, touch wood.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Just a guess, but perhaps it was contact dermatitis. Was the swelling itchy? That said, if it was an allergic reaction I would have thought more of your face would have been affected.

Some years ago I had contact dermatitis and it seemed to be at its worst when I was in bed. After a few nights of waking up in the wee hours to discover I was scratching my own face I went to my GP. She gave me a prescription which cleared it up very quickly. I've no idea what might have caused it because there was nothing new in my home environment such a different laundry soap, etc. It was very odd because I had never before experienced it and it hasn't happened since then, touch wood.
It may be that. I itch like crazy when I'm in bed (clean sheets and all). It may be an allergy.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Here is a photo of a pink fog on the morning of Feb 21, I assume the photographer must be from your neck of the woods.

RaM

Justified & Ancient

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Years ago, we had a visit from our old friend Jean, who lives far enough away that we don't see her very often. She came up from the city to celebrate her birthday. Ms. Popper went out to the mail box and came back with an envelope addressed to her, from my sister. It was a birthday card, but Ms. Popper's birthday was months away. Anyone who knows my sister would not be at all surprised by this. Without missing a beat, Ms. Popper said, "Jean, I think this is for you," and handed it to her. My mother got a good laugh when I called her and told her about it. My sister's response when she heard about it? "Well, see, I knew it was somebody's birthday out there."