• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I aren't sure if this should go in here or the experiences whilst drunk thread. Had been to a party when I was 17 in a village hall about 8 miles away. It was someones 18th and the theme was 'pimps and prostitutes' (cringing hell!) Anyway someone had rang a taxi at the end of the night & my boyfriend and I had got dropped off on a country lane about 3 or 4 miles from the village where I lived. My shoes were hurting me so I took them off and start walking barefoot down this country lane dressed as a prostitute with my boyfriend in his pimp suit LOL. Checked the time and it was 2am and I remember us saying we can get to the village in about 45 mins if we are quick. I remember looking at the ground and then looking up and we are approaching the entrance to a farm in the main village, it should have taken us ages . Looked at the time and it was only 2.05am. We had walked 3.5 miles in about 5 minutes. That was a little odd I must admit, also the fact that my feet should have been really sore walking on roads barefoot but they weren't.
If I really looked into it we could have been super drunk and got the time wrong or anything really. I'm nearly 30 now and still have the same boyfriend & we often puzzle and laugh in equal measures about that night.

I wonder how many timeslip events appear to happen when people off their heads :)

This morning I was walking rapidly by a sunny window and realized that I had seen a white cat crossing behind me. Absolutely saw the head, feet tail. I don't have a cat and it was chilly early morning and all windows and doors are closed. Turned and realized that I saw bright sunlight glancing off an item on the floor near it. It's amazing how the brain tries to interpret what it can't grasp.

Thank you for this fine opportunity to wheel out an oft-repeated personal anecdote.

One night I was driving home along a country lane after a long shift at work and a visit to my then boyfriend. I'd been up for 18 hours or so and was really too tired to be driving safely.

Approaching a T-junction, where a road joined from the left, I saw a giant black dog standing on the corner ahead. It was like a huge, stocky Staffie. As I drove nearer I thought 'Hooo, there's a giant dog!'

However, a second or two later I saw the dog turn into a car waiting to pull out of the junction. I drove past and carried on home.

Fatigue, y'see. Make things appear different from how they really are.

Thank you for this fine opportunity to wheel out an oft-repeated personal anecdote.

One night I was driving home along a country lane after a long shift at work and a visit to my then boyfriend. I'd been up for 18 hours or so and was really too tired to be driving safely.

Approaching a T-junction, where a road joined from the left, I saw a giant black dog standing on the corner ahead. It was like a huge, stocky Staffie. As I drove nearer I thought 'Hooo, there's a giant dog!'

However, a second or two later I saw the dog turn into a car waiting to pull out of the junction. I drove past and carried on home.

I've made sure to fill my life with lots of black cats and I can confirm your brain interprets stuff, particularly out of the corner of your eyes, and turns what you are seeing into black cats.

I'd recommend black cat therapy to everyone.

I had that "thing disappears and randomly turns up" experience this week.

Brushing my hair to go to bed one night (in the downstairs mirror) I realise one ear is earringless. Much annoyance as favourite pair and no idea when or where the one fell out.

A week or so later, I've gone into the bedroom after a shower to get dressed. I get dressed. I pop back into bathroom for something, then go back into the bedroom aaaand... missing earring sitting pretty on the floor, yay!

I've made sure to fill my life with lots of black cats and I can confirm your brain interprets stuff, particularly out of the corner of your eyes, and turns what you are seeing into black cats.

I'd recommend black cat therapy to everyone.

They're weird in many ways. Another night as I drove home I saw a black cat sitting in the middle of the road. I slowed right down to let it move in case it was hurt or whatever and as I drew near, I noticed that it was in fact an empty crumpled bin bag. I drove on.

A few seconds later, round the bend in the road, there was indeed a black cat sitting there, which I might have hit or had to swerve around if I'd been doing normal speed.I again slowed down and it ran off.

I had a 'things going missing and reappearing' yesterday. I'm staying with my parents for the weekend with my youngest child because we were going to a wildlife park nearby with some friends. Yesterday I paused the telly & put the remote on the back of the chair before going to eat tea. Went back in and the remote wasnt there. I said "has anyone seen the telly buttons?" My mam was going mad at me for losing them and we all turned the house upside down, lifting up seat cushions , emptying Lego boxes. My mam was like "I am really going to lose my temper in a minute" then someone just found it on the back of the settee in plain sight.
I didn't get an apology mind.

I had a 'things going missing and reappearing' yesterday. I'm staying with my parents for the weekend with my youngest child because we were going to a wildlife park nearby with some friends. Yesterday I paused the telly & put the remote on the back of the chair before going to eat tea. Went back in and the remote wasnt there. I said "has anyone seen the telly buttons?" My mam was going mad at me for losing them and we all turned the house upside down, lifting up seat cushions , emptying Lego boxes. My mam was like "I am really going to lose my temper in a minute" then someone just found it on the back of the settee in plain sight.
"Telly buttons" love it!

We were at my wife's cousin's house in Glasgow and they decided to put the telly on for our youngest. The remote control was hidden so it was "the buttons are on the sofa somewhere".
When they found it cousin's husband says "here's buttons, you change channel!".
First time I'd heard the remote referred to as 'buttons', thought to myself "another weegie thing" (I love the lingo up there and the accent too!)

First time I'd heard the remote referred to as 'buttons', thought to myself "another weegie thing"
Frequently-used Scottish names for 'tv remote control' include doofer, dibber, hingmyjig, geezit, gizmo, clicker, doodah, wotsit and doobry.

I love the lingo up there and the accent too!
Hmm. I've got to confess (as a Scots non-Glaswegian frequent visitor to Glasgow) I tolerate the lingo, but have real problems...fully believing what is being said, or hearing the content unamended by its accent of delivery.

I'm treading on very-thin ice here (and have no wish whatsoever to cause offence) but being honest, to my non-Glasgow ears, Glaswegian has an odd I-am-just-joking-or-am-I constant tone to it. Really hard to explain, it's a kind of edgy, mocking, sarcasm. A questioning challenge in almost every syllable.

Maybe it's a wider city accents/language shared intonations thing (as I possibly get triggered similarly by certain strands of Cockney or Scouse).

To me, Glaswegian lacks any form of.... neutral register. Ever. It sounds almost as if someone is mildly taking the piss out of their recipients, permanently. And I know that speakers of Gleska (broad or just slightly-inflected) neither intend this effect, nor can they hear it themselves.

I may be entirely-wrong with this observation (and please: Glasgow, I love you all, really) but I am certain there's some kind of relative accuracy going on in what I'm saying.

Here's dear old Stanley Baxter (and possibly the lovely Clare Richards?) doing a quick Parliamo Gleska lesson....this is pure-dead brilliant

Last edited:
Frequently-used Scottish names for 'tv remote control' include doofer, dibber, hingmyjig, geezit, gizmo, clicker, doodah, wotsit and doobry.

Hmm. I've got to confess (as a Scots non-Glaswegian frequent visitor to Glasgow) I tolerate the lingo, but have real problems...fully believing what is being said, or hearing the content unamended by its accent of delivery.

I'm treading on very-thin ice here (and have no wish whatsoever to cause offence) but being honest, to my non-Glasgow ears, Glaswegian has an odd I-am-just-joking-or-am-I constant tone to it. Really hard to explain, it's a kind of edgy, mocking, sarcasm. A questioning challenge in almost every syllable.

Maybe it's a wider city accents/language shared intonations thing (as I possibly get triggered similarly by certain strands of Cockney or Scouse).

To me, Glaswegian lacks any form of.... neutral register. Ever. It sounds almost as if someone is mildly taking the piss out of their recipients, permanently. And I know that speakers of Gleska (broad or just slightly-inflected) neither intend this effect, nor can they hear it themselves.

I may be entirely-wrong with this observation (and please: Glasgow, I love you all, really) but I am certain there's some kind of relative accuracy going on in what I'm saying.

Here's dear old Stanley Baxter (and possibly the lovely Clare Richards?) doing a quick Parliamo Gleska lesson....this is pure-dead brilliant
Really really good that, taking the pish out of BBC English as much as the Gleska.

Gizmo etc are all Northern Uk expressions too.

Gizmo etc are all Northern Uk England expressions too
[pedantic_mode]'Northern UK' would mean Scotland, North of England, and Northern Ireland. Wait....maybe that's what you meant, rather than just Lanc/Yorks/Northumbria?

People in England tend sometimes to use the term 'UK' when they really mean England.

Oops. My head just fell off[/pedantic_mode]

[pedantic_mode]'Northern UK' would mean Scotland, North of England, and Northern Ireland. Wait....maybe that's what you meant, rather than just Lanc/Yorks/Northumbria?

People in England tend sometimes to use the term 'UK' when they really mean England.

Oops. My head just fell off[/pedantic_mode]
I knew some smart person would pick up on that.....

Gizmo etc are all Northern Uk expressions too.
Gizmo is also the name of the feral cat at the Mrs's work place, the chefs look after her, she's 13 now I'm told and they let her sleep on the laundry bags under a shelter with milk and smoked salmon treats. She's too old and knackered to clean herself so she's got spikey dirty hair but she gets lots of love. You have to wash your hands afterwards though.

Glaswegian has an odd I-am-just-joking-or-am-I constant tone to it. Really hard to explain, it's a kind of edgy, mocking, sarcasm. A questioning challenge in almost every syllable.

This! This is how it is!

Or is it? :p

It sounds almost as if someone is mildly taking the piss out of their recipients, permanently. And I know that speakers of Gleska (broad or just slightly-inflected) neither intend this effect, nor can they hear it themselves.

He fell for it! He fell for it!!!!!!!! we got him! lolol

Disappearing/reappearing crickets: The little living springs can be pretty tricky, I've found. Every summer around the same time we get a particular species flying in through the bathroom window, drawn by the light at night. Last year two more species joined the party, but curiously, one was entirely flightless, so if the light pulled them in like the others, how did they reach it? Scale the wall? Hitch a ride with an obliging flight-enabled cricket? Sneak in through the front door when the dog's taken out for her last pee of the night and randomly ramble around the house until they eventually find the bathroom (or, in one case, the back of a chair in my bedroom) and glorious glowing salvation? Yes, randomly materialising creepy-crawlies are a bit of a theme in this old house, and especially my room, but this was just that little bit odder. Just a little odder still, I once had a flying cricket I was trying to catch swoop round me and seemingly blip out of existence. Hard as I looked I couldn't find a trace. Naturally it pinged back into being a few days later, and was promptly evicted.

Mind tricks: My brain once made my eyes believe, just for a second or two, that a pair of giant pylons and the lines between them were actually the Severn Suspension Bridge, magically transported twenty-odd miles inland. It was most disconcerting...

One of my colleagues once felt so shagged out by the end of a night shift that he sat down on a low wall for a little rest. Unfortunately, he dropped off to sleep. On waking a few minutes later, his exhausted mind perceived the pillar box in front of him as an attacker lunging at him. Instinctively he broadcast our force’s radio code for “Officer needs urgent assistance!

Cue panda cars screeching to a halt beside him, and sweating colleagues sprinting up from half way across town. Much embarrassment; profuse apologies.

He retired as a Chief Constable 30 years later. He had a degree in Botany, you see.

maximus otter

Back