Minor Strangeness

Scribbles

Ephemeral Spectre
There’s a you tube channel out there called top 5’s. Check it out - It’s run by a young British guy and the video’s he uploads mainly concentrate on fortean theme’s.

I was watching one last week where a guy kept noticing food going missing from his fridge and cupboard.

He lives alone but his girlfriend stay’s with him frequently, so he assumes it was her and asks her about it, but she strenuously denies taking anything, so he sets up a CCTV and focus’s the camera to film directly on the fridge.

Above the kitchen dining table is a larder, and in the early hours of the morning the camera shows the larder door open slowly outwards, and a girl very carefully climb out and into the kitchen, once in the kitchen she raids the fridge and even takes a leak in the kitchen sink.

Basically he has a squatter living in his larder, but how long she has been there is anyone’s guess. I personally don’t think the footage is a wind up, as it seems so genuine, but even if it is phony, how scary is that thought.

He watched the footage the next day and immediately called the police who promptly turn up and arrest her.

So scribbles….you aint got a squatter living somewhere in that town house of yours have you..? :)

View attachment 19177
OMG

That has seriously creeped me out. This house has plenty of cupboards I never go in :oops:

I really shouldn't go and watch that video so late at night, but I am....

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Ahem. Some of the American posters have been too busy the last couple of days to check Forteana Forums thoroughly. :fish:

As for the squatter in the cupboard, that would be horrible for both the householder and the squatter! Imagine being so desperate you sneak into a house and hide in a cupboard barely large enough for your body, and stay silent in there the whole time the resident is there! I wonder what her background is. Discarded divorcee? Abused wife? Mentally ill outcast? Where's her family? Imagine being alone like that!

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Has anybody got a link to that top 5 please, i cannot find it based on that

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
I once read a novel about a bloke that was doing just that, living in peoples houses without them knowing. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called so this post isn't being a lot of help is it? Anyway it was creepy and also sounded plausable ... perhaps the author had experiece? Maybe it's more common that we'd like to think?

Just off to check the far reaches of the cupboard under the stairs .... I maybe gone some time ;)

Sollywos x

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We've had mention of this subject before. I can remember posting about a friend who lived in a terraced house where the attics were only separated by a low wall, so that her boyfriend could sneak into her neighbours' houses and snoop around. Theft may have been involved, I can't remember but it seems likely.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Ahem. Some of the American posters have been too busy the last couple of days to check Forteana Forums thoroughly. :fish:

As for the squatter in the cupboard, that would be horrible for both the householder and the squatter! Imagine being so desperate you sneak into a house and hide in a cupboard barely large enough for your body, and stay silent in there the whole time the resident is there! I wonder what her background is. Discarded divorcee? Abused wife? Mentally ill outcast? Where's her family? Imagine being alone like that!
I saw that video and it appeared pretty dodgy. Then I learned the person who made it had quite an active YT channel or something like that. I don't recall the details, but it seemed pretty obvious to me it was a, well, commercial product. As I recall, the thief was supposed to be a neighbor who gained access by way of the cupboard. It has been a while, and I wasn't much impressed so I didn't pay too much attention. You Tube is, of course, full of nonsense. Things like The History Guy are the exceptions that make it worthwhile.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
The missing roast reminds me of the time years ago when I left a chicken on the bench to defrost.
Next morning it was nowhere to be found. We had no pets and there was only a space a couple of centimetres wide at the back of the bench where some backing had to be finished, not wide enough for a chicken.
I had thought perhaps rats but there was no rat dirt and couldn't work out how it would have disappeared down the small space.

Lb8535

Abominable Snowman
Kipling wrote a very funny story abut boys in a public school who discover that their adjoined but physically and politically highly separate dormitories have a common attic crawlspace. Of course they push the next dead mammal they find over a few buildings and time the results. It has the ring of personal experience.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Strangeness at my place...

For months now (almost a year), while lying here on the sofa I have been smelling something odd. I can't make out what it is or where it is.
Right at the moment, it smells like clean linen. Other times, the smell morphs into a rancid fish smell. Then, sometimes it smells like chemicals.
I'm wondering if it's ME. Maybe this is what ketosis smells like? I dunno.

Sollywos

For months now (almost a year), while lying here on the sofa I have been smelling something odd. I can't make out what it is or where it is.
Right at the moment, it smells like clean linen. Other times, the smell morphs into a rancid fish smell. Then, sometimes it smells like chemicals.
Is it just on the sofa you can smell it? I don't suppose someone else in your house has put in one of those plug in triple air freshners without telling you have they?

I've noticed that with my eyesight and hearing decreasing my sense of smell is increasing. That should be 'seems to be' ... for all I know it's the same and I'm just noticing it more.

Not sure of the full range of ketosis body odours I can imagine a chemically smell but rancid fish? There again not always easy to describe odours so I suppose it could be.

Sollywos x

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Is it just on the sofa you can smell it? I don't suppose someone else in your house has put in one of those plug in triple air freshners without telling you have they?

I've noticed that with my eyesight and hearing decreasing my sense of smell is increasing. That should be 'seems to be' ... for all I know it's the same and I'm just noticing it more.

Not sure of the full range of ketosis body odours I can imagine a chemically smell but rancid fish? There again not always easy to describe odours so I suppose it could be.

Sollywos x
Just me in the house. I can smell it when I'm elsewhere, but not as strong.

Sollywos

Odours can be carried on currents of air and these seem to find odd routes through a house, maybe your sofa forms an eddying place and the smells are coming in from outside? As it's not as strong elsewhere that would suggest it's not coming from yourself. Have others noticed it? Is the sofa on a concrete slab or floorboards? What about the ceiling above? Flat roof or floorboards? I'm just thinking of hidden gaps that scents can drift through.

As it changes I'm ruling out an ex stuffing hollow curtain poles with prawns being accountable for for the rancid fish smell!

Sollywos x

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
One hard-to-fathom household pong, which I eventually pinned-down, turned out to be the perishing foam backing of the carpet. It only perished in certain areas, probably to do with exposure to air or humidity. When brown dust showed at the foot of the stairs, I feared a rot problem and lifted the stair-carpet, finding the crumbling backing and a strong whiff of the elusive odour. Mention of a sofa makes me wonder what fills the cushions . . . :rolleyes:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
One hard-to-fathom household pong, which I eventually pinned-down, turned out to be the perishing foam backing of the carpet. It only perished in certain areas, probably to do with exposure to air or humidity. When brown dust showed at the foot of the stairs, I feared a rot problem and lifted the stair-carpet, finding the crumbling backing and a strong whiff of the elusive odour. Mention of a sofa makes me wonder what fills the cushions . . . :rolleyes:
It's a leather sofa that I bought new about 3 or 4 years ago.

PeteS

Seeking refuge

If it's a suspended timber floor I would suspect stagnant water under the floor. Could be rainwater or domestic water leaking from a pipe. We get the same weird fishy/chemical smell when the washing machine is emptying. So far I've been unable to trace the leak. Pouring die down the drains and looking under the floor might find the source. If it's a solid concrete floor, possibly something in the cavity walls?

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman

a rancid fish smell can come from burnt out electric socket or light fitting.

or your enemies have sewn prawns into your sofa cushions....