Minor Strangeness

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Having thought this through, I think my son must have taken it to eat. He is the only one with motive and opportunity, and just because he said he hadn't taken it, doesn't mean he was telling the truth. Stand down everyone. No Fortean event here to see :(
Bu88er.. after reading your reply above I was working on the theory that a vegetarian goddess had taken it.

Sollywos x

PeteS

Seeking refuge
I can't believe I'm going to write this because I am just embarrassing myself now, but in the interests of all things Fortean, I am going to write this.

A chunk of cooked beef has disappeared.

Husband cooked it yesterday for him and the kids (I'm a pescetarian), and left half in the oven to eat for his tea tonight.

I saw the roasted beef in the top (smaller) oven at lunchtime today when I went to put my fish fingers in there. I left the beef there, quite far back in the top oven, and put my fish fingers to cook in the bottom oven.

Fast forward to husband coming home from work, looking forward to his roast beef sandwiches. I was on the phone to work when he comes storming into the room. He waits impatiently for me to finish my call, and when I do he demands to know where his roast beef is.

I roll my eyes. Silly husband. It's in the upper oven, and I take him to the oven to show him the beef THAT IS NO LONGER THERE!

The metal grill plate the beef was cooked on, is there, but the beef itself is not there.

I actually search the oven, with my eyes, then I feel around the oven with my hands (obvs it's not on, I'm not that insane). Then I search the lower oven the same way. Not there.

Son is too lazy to have done anything with it (it would mean knowing the beef was there, taking it out of the oven and slicing it, which is too much effort for most 16 yr olds, but especially my son). Daughter has been out all day, left the house before I saw the beef at lunchtime.

So we both look at the dog. It MUST have been the dog. But the thing is, this would've meant him opening the oven door, delicately fitting his snout into the slim space between oven shelf and top of oven, removing the beef without also dragging out the grill plate, shutting the oven door, and eating a hunk of beef without me catching on. And not being funny, but our dog is not that bright.

So, lost hunk of roast beef.
Gosh this reminds me of a similar thing I'd completely forgotten about. 30 years ago I had Old English Sheepdogs. In those yoofull years I had a great fondness for spaghetti and would eat it on it's own. The first time it happened put cooked spag on kitchen worktop and go to answer phone. Come back and of course it's all gone. Dog asleep in garden. This happened again (again dog not around) and I remember thinking I had a sneak thief. Suspicion falls on dog who I eye, but he looks innocent. I set trap next time and lurk on stairs and hear dog very quietly comes through patio door(he was a great lumbering clumsy thing) I peak round corner and see him on his hind legs literally slurping down the spag as fast as he could. Bolts back into garden and literally pretends to be asleep. After that I always made sure to split the spag in half ! He was a lovely dog and I still miss him.

Dick Turpin

Devoted Cultist
It was cooked on a sort of griddle plate, and yes that was still in the oven and still greasy.
There’s a you tube channel out there called top 5’s. Check it out - It’s run by a young British guy and the video’s he uploads mainly concentrate on fortean theme’s.

I was watching one last week where a guy kept noticing food going missing from his fridge and cupboard.

He lives alone but his girlfriend stay’s with him frequently, so he assumes it was her and asks her about it, but she strenuously denies taking anything, so he sets up a CCTV and focus’s the camera to film directly on the fridge.

Above the kitchen dining table is a larder, and in the early hours of the morning the camera shows the larder door open slowly outwards, and a girl very carefully climb out and into the kitchen, once in the kitchen she raids the fridge and even takes a leak in the kitchen sink.

Basically he has a squatter living in his larder, but how long she has been there is anyone’s guess. I personally don’t think the footage is a wind up, as it seems so genuine, but even if it is phony, how scary is that thought.

He watched the footage the next day and immediately called the police who promptly turn up and arrest her.

So scribbles….you aint got a squatter living somewhere in that town house of yours have you..? :)

Top fives.png

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Gosh this reminds me of a similar thing I'd completely forgotten about. 30 years ago I had Old English Sheepdogs. In those yoofull years I had a great fondness for spaghetti and would eat it on it's own. The first time it happened put cooked spag on kitchen worktop and go to answer phone. Come back and of course it's all gone. Dog asleep in garden. This happened again (again dog not around) and I remember thinking I had a sneak thief. Suspicion falls on dog who I eye, but he looks innocent. I set trap next time and lurk on stairs and hear dog very quietly comes through patio door(he was a great lumbering clumsy thing) I peak round corner and see him on his hind legs literally slurping down the spag as fast as he could. Bolts back into garden and literally pretends to be asleep. After that I always made sure to split the spag in half ! He was a lovely dog and I still miss him.
He sounds gorgeous! Dogs can be so sly. One of mine used to lie on my bed and watch for me in the mirror walking along the landing to catch him out.

He was greedy too. We'd put a piece of meat or biscuit on a small table and he'd happen to walk past it nonchalantly a few times, never taking his eyes off it, hoping we'd forgotten about it; then the desire would overcome him and he'd open his mouth wide and grab it like the sharks in the fillum Deep Blue Sea.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
There’s a you tube channel out there called top 5’s. Check it out - It’s run by a young British guy and the video’s he uploads mainly concentrate on fortean theme’s.

I was watching one last week where a guy kept noticing food going missing from his fridge and cupboard.

He lives alone but his girlfriend stay’s with him frequently, so he assumes it was her and asks her about it, but she strenuously denies taking anything, so he sets up a CCTV and focus’s the camera to film directly on the fridge.

Above the kitchen dining table is a larder, and in the early hours of the morning the camera shows the larder door open slowly outwards, and a girl very carefully climb out and into the kitchen, once in the kitchen she raids the fridge and even takes a leak in the kitchen sink.

Basically he has a squatter living in his larder, but how long she has been there is anyone’s guess. I personally don’t think the footage is a wind up, as it seems so genuine, but even if it is phony, how scary is that thought.

He watched the footage the next day and immediately called the police who promptly turn up and arrest her.

So scribbles….you aint got a squatter living somewhere in that town house of yours have you..? :)
Oh yes, I remember this one! I came across the original video some years ago by accident - it really spooked me! At that time there was no further information about it, so I don't know if it's been verified since.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
You know, the more I've thought about this this evening, the more I think it WAS him. Perhaps he smelt the fishfingers and went to have a look what the smell was, and literally just took the whole hunk to eat. I plan to check in his room for evidence next time he's not in...
Just mention casually that the beef was probably off and that you're concerned for the welfare of whoever had it.

INT21

Antediluvian

View attachment 19177
I find it strange indeed that one can have someone living in your kitchen cupboard and not know about it.

Scribbles

Ephemeral Spectre

View attachment 19177
OMG

That has seriously creeped me out. This house has plenty of cupboards I never go in :oops:

I really shouldn't go and watch that video so late at night, but I am....

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Ahem. Some of the American posters have been too busy the last couple of days to check Forteana Forums thoroughly. :fish:

As for the squatter in the cupboard, that would be horrible for both the householder and the squatter! Imagine being so desperate you sneak into a house and hide in a cupboard barely large enough for your body, and stay silent in there the whole time the resident is there! I wonder what her background is. Discarded divorcee? Abused wife? Mentally ill outcast? Where's her family? Imagine being alone like that!

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Has anybody got a link to that top 5 please, i cannot find it based on that

Sollywos

I once read a novel about a bloke that was doing just that, living in peoples houses without them knowing. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called so this post isn't being a lot of help is it? Anyway it was creepy and also sounded plausable ... perhaps the author had experiece? Maybe it's more common that we'd like to think?

Just off to check the far reaches of the cupboard under the stairs .... I maybe gone some time ;)

Sollywos x

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We've had mention of this subject before. I can remember posting about a friend who lived in a terraced house where the attics were only separated by a low wall, so that her boyfriend could sneak into her neighbours' houses and snoop around. Theft may have been involved, I can't remember but it seems likely.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Ahem. Some of the American posters have been too busy the last couple of days to check Forteana Forums thoroughly. :fish:

As for the squatter in the cupboard, that would be horrible for both the householder and the squatter! Imagine being so desperate you sneak into a house and hide in a cupboard barely large enough for your body, and stay silent in there the whole time the resident is there! I wonder what her background is. Discarded divorcee? Abused wife? Mentally ill outcast? Where's her family? Imagine being alone like that!
I saw that video and it appeared pretty dodgy. Then I learned the person who made it had quite an active YT channel or something like that. I don't recall the details, but it seemed pretty obvious to me it was a, well, commercial product. As I recall, the thief was supposed to be a neighbor who gained access by way of the cupboard. It has been a while, and I wasn't much impressed so I didn't pay too much attention. You Tube is, of course, full of nonsense. Things like The History Guy are the exceptions that make it worthwhile.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
The missing roast reminds me of the time years ago when I left a chicken on the bench to defrost.
Next morning it was nowhere to be found. We had no pets and there was only a space a couple of centimetres wide at the back of the bench where some backing had to be finished, not wide enough for a chicken.
I had thought perhaps rats but there was no rat dirt and couldn't work out how it would have disappeared down the small space.

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
Kipling wrote a very funny story abut boys in a public school who discover that their adjoined but physically and politically highly separate dormitories have a common attic crawlspace. Of course they push the next dead mammal they find over a few buildings and time the results. It has the ring of personal experience.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Strangeness at my place...

For months now (almost a year), while lying here on the sofa I have been smelling something odd. I can't make out what it is or where it is.
Right at the moment, it smells like clean linen. Other times, the smell morphs into a rancid fish smell. Then, sometimes it smells like chemicals.
I'm wondering if it's ME. Maybe this is what ketosis smells like? I dunno.

Sollywos

Strangeness at my place...

For months now (almost a year), while lying here on the sofa I have been smelling something odd. I can't make out what it is or where it is.
Right at the moment, it smells like clean linen. Other times, the smell morphs into a rancid fish smell. Then, sometimes it smells like chemicals.
I'm wondering if it's ME. Maybe this is what ketosis smells like? I dunno.
Is it just on the sofa you can smell it? I don't suppose someone else in your house has put in one of those plug in triple air freshners without telling you have they?

I've noticed that with my eyesight and hearing decreasing my sense of smell is increasing. That should be 'seems to be' ... for all I know it's the same and I'm just noticing it more.

Not sure of the full range of ketosis body odours I can imagine a chemically smell but rancid fish? There again not always easy to describe odours so I suppose it could be.

Sollywos x

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Is it just on the sofa you can smell it? I don't suppose someone else in your house has put in one of those plug in triple air freshners without telling you have they?

I've noticed that with my eyesight and hearing decreasing my sense of smell is increasing. That should be 'seems to be' ... for all I know it's the same and I'm just noticing it more.

Not sure of the full range of ketosis body odours I can imagine a chemically smell but rancid fish? There again not always easy to describe odours so I suppose it could be.

Sollywos x
Just me in the house. I can smell it when I'm elsewhere, but not as strong.

Sollywos

Odours can be carried on currents of air and these seem to find odd routes through a house, maybe your sofa forms an eddying place and the smells are coming in from outside? As it's not as strong elsewhere that would suggest it's not coming from yourself. Have others noticed it? Is the sofa on a concrete slab or floorboards? What about the ceiling above? Flat roof or floorboards? I'm just thinking of hidden gaps that scents can drift through.

As it changes I'm ruling out an ex stuffing hollow curtain poles with prawns being accountable for for the rancid fish smell!

Sollywos x