Minor Strangeness

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
One hard-to-fathom household pong, which I eventually pinned-down, turned out to be the perishing foam backing of the carpet. It only perished in certain areas, probably to do with exposure to air or humidity. When brown dust showed at the foot of the stairs, I feared a rot problem and lifted the stair-carpet, finding the crumbling backing and a strong whiff of the elusive odour. Mention of a sofa makes me wonder what fills the cushions . . . :rolleyes:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
One hard-to-fathom household pong, which I eventually pinned-down, turned out to be the perishing foam backing of the carpet. It only perished in certain areas, probably to do with exposure to air or humidity. When brown dust showed at the foot of the stairs, I feared a rot problem and lifted the stair-carpet, finding the crumbling backing and a strong whiff of the elusive odour. Mention of a sofa makes me wonder what fills the cushions . . . :rolleyes:
It's a leather sofa that I bought new about 3 or 4 years ago.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Strangeness at my place...

For months now (almost a year), while lying here on the sofa I have been smelling something odd. I can't make out what it is or where it is.
Right at the moment, it smells like clean linen. Other times, the smell morphs into a rancid fish smell. Then, sometimes it smells like chemicals.
I'm wondering if it's ME. Maybe this is what ketosis smells like? I dunno.
If it's a suspended timber floor I would suspect stagnant water under the floor. Could be rainwater or domestic water leaking from a pipe. We get the same weird fishy/chemical smell when the washing machine is emptying. So far I've been unable to trace the leak. Pouring die down the drains and looking under the floor might find the source. If it's a solid concrete floor, possibly something in the cavity walls?

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Strangeness at my place...

For months now (almost a year), while lying here on the sofa I have been smelling something odd. I can't make out what it is or where it is.
Right at the moment, it smells like clean linen. Other times, the smell morphs into a rancid fish smell. Then, sometimes it smells like chemicals.
I'm wondering if it's ME. Maybe this is what ketosis smells like? I dunno.
a rancid fish smell can come from burnt out electric socket or light fitting.

or your enemies have sewn prawns into your sofa cushions....

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
a rancid fish smell can come from burnt out electric socket or light fitting.
Yes, I thought of that too! I've had that happen and it's puzzling. Doesn't smell at all electrical, more like overcooked fish. Unmistakeable. If I came across it again I'd look at all the nearby electricals and give them a good sniff.

catseye

For the greater good
You don't have a cat, do you Myth? Or a small dog?

Mine has taken to bringing home the corpses of mice and burying them in the sofa cushions, as I found out when I had a good clean up the other day...

The smell isn't as strong as you'd suspect of a decaying rodent, I think they somehow dessicate. They look pretty mummified, anyhow. I am having Stern Words with the dog now.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Mention of a sofa makes me wonder what fills the cushions . . . :rolleyes:
Agreed ... Open-celled foam of the sort used in cushions can provide a breeding ground for fishy smells associated with bacterial (etc.) growth - especially if water gets into the foam.

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
From my Twitter :)
@MarkKriegsman
It's 11:53 PM. The neighbors' "smart" lawn sprinkler system is asking to join my wifi network and offering to let me configure it.
Now you *could* if you were a reprehensible person not tell your neighbor about this and and let it join your network and turn it on and off whenever you want. And tell your other neighbors around the house as well.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
That won't stop every cat in the neighbourhood every time you leave a window open! We used to have a local tom cat who came in and peed up against the newel post on the stairs.
Did you get it to stop? If so how? Maybe you even saw it as an honour if you like cats :)

Sollywos x

Trish71

Junior Acolyte
From my Twitter :)
@MarkKriegsman
It's 11:53 PM. The neighbors' "smart" lawn sprinkler system is asking to join my wifi network and offering to let me configure it.
I initially misread "Wi-Fi" for "wife" which, for a few moments at least, took me off on a wife swapping with the neighbour's tangent....