Minor Strangeness

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
IbisNibs Apologies if I misled you. The comment is now removed.
No worries! I was being facetious, as usual. Your neighbors sounded very unpleasant. I deal with a lot of negative people / issues / news by finding a silly twist to it. Sometimes I cross the line.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
No worries! I was being facetious, as usual. Your neighbors sounded very unpleasant. I deal with a lot of negative people / issues / news by finding a silly twist to it. Sometimes I cross the line.
It's never easy to get the line right ... we all have our own ways of dealing with the negative stuff and you can't be sure that what you've said is what somebody else has heard.

Sollywos x

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I initially misread "Wi-Fi" for "wife" which, for a few moments at least, took me off on a wife swapping with the neighbour's tangent....
My neighbour often leaves his wifi turned on and unprotected.
I just hop on whenever I feel like it and he's none the wiser.

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Don't know whether this belongs here or as part of one of my many long running threads.

Earlier I was standing in the doorway between the kitchen and living room, my back to the former, talking to a guest in the latter...and the spookiest thing. I felt the neck of my t-shirt being tugged from behind. It wasn't a simple movement of cloth, (and I couldn't explain it away like I did with incidents with my hoody a few years ago, that were part of long sequence of events suggestive of a dead friend and reported on here). It was the distinct sensation of someone behind me tugging at it. At any rate it was clear enough that i stopped mid sentence to look around and exclaim to the guest "what the hell was that?!"

To make it doubly creepy just an hour earlier my brother on the phone was reporting a couple of odd events happening in his house ( TV coming on by itself in the night and finding a door that was always left open locked). I'd already forgotten about this when my invisible t shirt tug happened.

IbisNibs

My neighbour often leaves his wifi turned on and unprotected.
I just hop on whenever I feel like it and he's none the wiser.
It's not password protected?

Don't look up 'how can i make a bomb' whatever you do. ;) (That's a joke BTW).
Agreed. It's much better to look up "how can I build a nuclear powered submarine in my garage."

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
It's not password protected?
I was actually joking (replace wifi with wife and re-read), but the situation is actually true for my office.

The maths teacher who used to work next-door said that he needed a really decent connection for students to take online tests, so he paid for some really decent package and gave me the password.

He moved out three years ago to larger premises, but the person who took the rooms over has changed nothing since; I have an unlimited data package on my smartphone, but my work computer just auto-connects to their network as it always has done. I don't think they are using it for anything apart from email, so it's super-fast!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Being that our teen son set up our wi-fi, it's named "hippity hoppity get off my property." Don't know what the neighbors think about that!
I gave my old wi-fi router the name 'Rat Network' in homage to the dodgy-looking upload site seen at the end of The Core (an entertaining film that made no money). I don't use that wi-fi name now.

Last edited:

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
There are several apartments near our house, so my phone finds a couple dozen wifi connections when I open the app. Some names are pretty funny, like Always Watching, IveSeenYouNaked, and I Saw What You Did. Notably absent at the moment is my favorite: FBI Surveillance Van. I'm sure it will be back.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
There are several apartments near our house, so my phone finds a couple dozen wifi connections when I open the app. Some names are pretty funny, like Always Watching, IveSeenYouNaked, and I Saw What You Did. Notably absent at the moment is my favorite: FBI Surveillance Van. I'm sure it will be back.
I used to have FBI Surveillance Van, even scarier, I had, TV Licencing Van

IbisNibs

Notably absent at the moment is my favorite: FBI Surveillance Van. I'm sure it will be back.
Maybe they read this thread and decided to park somewhere else.

even scarier, I had, TV Licencing Van
Is it illegal to operate a TV without a license where you are?

Meechyemoo

Junior Acolyte
A little weirdness yesterday. My mum and Dad have their house on the market for about a month. A similar house up the street took about 2 years to sell so they weren't holding our much hope of a quick sale and there has been no interest. I haven't spoken to my mum for a couple of weeks.

Last night driving home from work. I just thought "ooh I wonder if they have sold the house". I use my phone as sat nav At that moment I saw my phone ping a chat head from my mum, but obviously couldn't read it till I got home. It said "give us a ring, we've sold the house".

uair01

Justified & Ancient
From an economics weblog. Nice little story:
https://marginalrevolution.com/marg...+(Marginal+Revolution)#blog-comment-159969313

Recently, I was sitting next to some dude at ORD when suddenly a flock of Filipinos came over and manically started to wave at him and hug him. Nearly as quickly as this happened...it was a bit alarming at first...the Filipinos dispersed. The scene happened again, with a bunch of Filipinos about 20 minutes later. After the second occurrence, I had to ask the guy what made him so popular amongst the islanders, given he didn't look Filipino. He simply stated, 'they love me over there.' Mystery unsolved.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Going to the Rotterdam city park has suddenly become an adventure. Warning signs are everywhere.
Cyanobacteria producing neurotoxins, oak processionary caterpillars causing asthma, ash dieback causing falling branches and old trees on the point of toppling.
danger01.jpg danger02.jpg danger03.jpg