Minor Strangeness

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Can I ask the forum for advice? How on earth do you post something (that is not a reply to another post) as all I can seem to do is tag someone's post if i wish to write anything? ... !
If you wish to quote someone else's post and add your response, click on "Reply" in that other member's post.

If you want to post something without quoting anyone else, simply scroll to the bottom of the page to the text entry box, enter your post text, and hit "Post reply."

Trevp666

Ephemeral Spectre
......... a TV that persists in turning itself on at night. .........even though I know I switched it off earlier...........
Erm.....you see the bit at the wall where the plug is plugged in....have tried switching it off entirely with the switchy switch thing and also removing said plug from socket?
I'd be extremely surprised (nay worried/concerned) if it still powered up then!

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Do modern TVs still use a lot (relatively) of power on standby? It used to be a thing to berate those who used too much electricity, but I don't hear it so much these days. I got into the habit of switching off at the plug because of it!

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
Do modern TVs still use a lot (relatively) of power on standby?
The official politically-correct answer to this question is "Yes" insofar as an infinitesimally-small value multiplied by a vast quantity of instances equates to a Large Amount Of Wasted Power. Officially.

And let's just treat that as a value of shame, in isolation to any aspects of avoiding additional energy requirements implicated in starting a large power-hungry television from total cold. Or factors such as total costs of ownership in terms of replacement & repair (mitigation thereof).

Because that's the way we must think, behave and believe.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Does leaving the set on standby "wear it out"? I don't know how else to put it!

WanderingFox

Junior Acolyte
@Ermintruder - many thanks for the in-depth reply! We do have a dongle plugged into it, for streaming and catch-up services, so that's definitely a possibility, though I believe we've had that dongle a fair bit longer than the TV's been turning itself on. Power issues occured to me, too, since our utilities are rather outdated and overstretched - new houses built, but no utilities upgrades to match - and thus we do have blips and dips and cuts; it could simply be this TV is more sensitive, for want of a better word, to such things than the rest of our technology. I don't doubt there's a prosaic explanation, it's simply elusive at the moment, and I've certainly yet to see any lank-haired, twitchy ghost girls emerge from the set. Rest assured that if I had I'd be in another county right now, and still running!

@Trevp666 - basically, we're lazy. :p And it is, courtesy of the location, a little bit of a faff to get to the plug.

@GNC - I imagine it would depend on the TV. My personal set spends a lot of time on standby, only fully turned off during power cuts and when I'm away, and it's lasted at least 15 years. Another might not.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
[USER=48905]@GNC - I imagine it would depend on the TV. My personal set spends a lot of time on standby, only fully turned off during power cuts and when I'm away, and it's lasted at least 15 years. Another might not.
Yes, it might depend on the brand, even. I do know my parents always leave their TV on standby, and it was one I got them that lasted for a shorter amount of time than the one I bought around the same time (it's still going). But I don't leave mine on standby, so... I dunno, it's probably not as simple as that.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Can I ask the forum for advice? How on earth do you post something (that is not a reply to another post) as all I can seem to do is tag someone's post if i wish to write anything? (Please forgive me if this makes no sense whatsoever as my probably incorrect terminology is down to my complete ignorance of technology!)
Edit: I have no idea how I've managed to do what it is I'm asking advice on hiw to do it!
Just go down to the bottom and use the entry field.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Minor but it freaked me out: last night I took a shower, using a bar of soap. This morning I took another, and the bar of soap had disappeared. I live alone, and there is literally no reason I would have absent-mindedly moved the soap from its habitual place. A search of the house turned up nothing.

It is the festival of Hungry Ghosts, for what it's worth - perhaps some of them like eating soap.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
It will turn up, i lose a lot of things, drives me crazy sometimes

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
It's only a small thing, but there is a corner of Caernarfon Castle that gives me chills. It is the nest of now ruined small rooms near what used to be the water gate. I just felt I didn't need to be there - quite urgently. None of Beaumaris Castle bothers me at all.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Try down the back of the bathroom bin. My soap slides off the shower side, bounces off the shower tray and slides behind the bathroom bin. I only know this (after finding it behind the bin once and puzzling) because I saw it do it.
I haven't got round to getting a bathroom bin

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Imagine buying this garden gnome to put it between your flowers. But these uncanny statuettes must have been made by the thousands. I've also seen them in antique shops.
flowers.jpg
And an advertisement for a show including "living showroom dummies". If there is something that's uncanny ...
This whole picture could go into "fortean art".
dummies.jpg

INT21

Antediluvian
I don't know about you guys, but at 21:37 the site crashed here. And this appeared.

This page (https://forums.forteana.org/index.php) is currently offline. However, because the site uses Cloudflare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by Cloudflare | Hide this Alert

INT21.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I don't know about you guys, but at 21:37 the site crashed here. And this appeared.
This page (https://forums.forteana.org/index.php) is currently offline. However, because the site uses Cloudflare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by Cloudflare | Hide this Alert ...
Thanks for the report, but ...

The site itself didn't crash - it was the outboard service that handles security and traffic transactions.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Yoda almost approves (and the spirit of Dr Johnson thanks you for the non-use of a gratuitous "gotten"
Technically, "gotten" is not gratuitous, since it is used as the past participle of the verb to get.
"Got" is also used as the past participle, but, according to my source (https://web.mit.edu/course/21/21.guide/get-got.htm) "gotten" is preferred in the U.S. So "have got" and "have gotten" are both standard English, but, as we all know, England and America are two nations divided by a common language.

Past participles seem to be disappearing over here (U.S) though. It's only been recently that I've lived in places where this is obvious. I can't get used to hearing people say, "I have went to the store last Saturday" and "that book was wrote last year." If this were standard English, the book "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn would have was titled "Went Girl." This post does not belong in this thread however, as this language trend afflicts me as Major Strangeness!

Last edited:

Trevp666

Ephemeral Spectre
I prefer the use of other words instead of 'got' quite often, especially in written texts, as I was taught in my English grammar classes that repeated use of a word in a written work is frowned upon!
So 'obtained' or 'acquired' for the act of coming into ownership of an item or service (I acquired a new pair of shoes).
'Became' for when a state of existence changes (He became suddenly colder).
'Grew' for when a change happens gradually (It grew darker).
And so on.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
I prefer the use of other words instead of 'got' quite often, especially in written texts, as I was taught in my English grammar classes that repeated use of a word in a written work is frowned upon!
So 'obtained' or 'acquired' for the act of coming into ownership of an item or service (I acquired a new pair of shoes).
And so on.
Somehow that reminded me of Biggles.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
And so on.
Fowler dubbed it 'elegant variation', but that wasn't a compliment. 'Elegant' at the time had the additional connotation of excessive pretentiousness (a bit like the origin of the modern use of 'sophisticated' being 'adulterated', like poisoned wine--having an additional element or more than it first appears), and he was pretty mordant in his criticism of the practice, especially its appearance in contemporary journalism.

Anyway, like everything, lexical variation is good in moderation but emetic in excess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elegant_variation

INT21

Antediluvian
Last night (actually just after midnight, so today really) I had settled down for my usual three hours of news and YouTube. I closed the lounge door, hearing it latch.

About two hours later, there was a click and the door swung open.

Note, if it isn't latched it will always swing fully open.

Ah!, thinks I. Can't be the cat he is in the dining room. plus he can't open the door.

If the door had swung back to the closed position I may have been more concerned. But put it down to a change in air pressure or the house frame flexing.

Interesting moment though.

INT21.