Minor Strangeness

INT21

Antediluvian
Reminds me of something that happened many years ago, when I was about seventeen.

I had a friend who had recently become married. He and his wife moved into an old end terrace house. And one day he asked me if I could put a light in a small room that was adjacent to their bedroom. I was an apprentice electrician at the time.

So I did the job. And afterwards while having a cup of tea with them, The friend asked 'Did you notice anything strange while you were up there' ?

No, I didn't, why.

'Well, a couple of nights ago, we were in bed when the bedroom door opened, something was heard to walk across the room, and it went into the room you were wiring. It was quite frightening'.

You will note they told me this after I had done the job.

INT21.

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
Courtesy of Google Photos' reminder function, earlier today my OH shared a pic with me of us and our offspring standing in front of a jetty somewhere. It seems I replied to her asking if it was a seaside town not far from here, to which she responded that in fact it was our departure point for Kapas Island, off the coast of Malaysia, where we were exactly 365 days ago. The minor strangeness is that, as far as I am concerned, all this happened while I was having a siesta this afternoon. The first I knew of it was when I checked my phone a little after I woke up. I have categorically no memory of this exchange. o_O

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
Courtesy of Google Photos' reminder function, earlier today my OH shared a pic with me of us and our offspring standing in front of a jetty somewhere. It seems I replied to her asking if it was a seaside town not far from here, to which she responded that in fact it was our departure point for Kapas Island, off the coast of Malaysia, where we were exactly 365 days ago. The minor strangeness is that, as far as I am concerned, all this happened while I was having a siesta this afternoon. The first I knew of it was when I checked my phone a little after I woke up. I have categorically no memory of this exchange. o_O
Mystery solved! My younger daughter often borrows my tablet (oh, who am I kidding? she's now the permanent custodian...), and it turns out she sent the message from there, because she didn't recognise the location. I mean, I know I've been tired these past few days, but not to the extent of texting in my sleep.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Here is a blog entry I came across years ago, which struck me as similar to some of my own experiences. So it didn't HTM, but this seems a likely place to put it. It is about a rather spontaneous tour a young woman went on, which seemed to follow some unseen itinerary. I've had some things like that happen, when after the sixth or seventh "coincidence" you start to say Hmmmm...

The blog is long gone, but fortunately we live in the timeline where someone invented the Wayback Machine so it's still there, photos and all. The blogger is an interesting poet and I believe the author of some books. I'll have to see if I can find her name. I hope she's still with us, as last I knew she was having some very serious health problems.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161110142759/https://earwaxdissertation.com/2013/05/

"Why didn’t that tipsy Venice Beach fortune-teller predict that I would be pissing in the same restroom Jim Morrison had? And she sure didn’t foresee me shopping at the same record store Ray Manzarek frequented on Sunset Blvd. I should have known better in the City of Night. Welcome to my L.A. Woman Tour. In honor of Ray Manzarek (keyboardist and founding member of the Doors) who passed away this week in Germany at the age of 74, I’d like to share my personal odyssey with the Doors and their ghosts."

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
It's my day off work today. I've just looked at my printouts to see how many families/groups my co worker will be checking in today .. four including one group with the surname Holmes. I only have one group to book in tomorrow who delightfully have the surname Watson .. I'm considering telling the Holmes group to ask the Watson group what their surname is tomorrow although I expect the Holmes group are probably already a bit bored of the Sherlock jokes by now.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
It's my day off work today. I've just looked at my printouts to see how many families/groups my co worker will be checking in today .. four including one group with the surname Holmes. I only have one group to book in tomorrow who delightfully have the surname Watson .. I'm considering telling the Holmes group to ask the Watson group what their surname is tomorrow although I expect the Holmes group are probably already a bit bored of the Sherlock jokes by now.
They probably don't want you hounding them about it while they're on holiday.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
They probably don't want you hounding them about it while they're on holiday.
True .. and Cromer was also the birthplace of Black Shuck .. cue dramatic music and some lightening .. that was the basis for .. a bit of wonky organ music .. The Hound Of The Baskervilles case for Holmes and Watson:sherlock:..

I'm not making any promises .. temptation might defeat me ..

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
But you could play around with security reminders to the paterfamilias: "Sir, lock the doors to your car, don't forget." Channel your inner Connery, maybe. Then give them a copy of the Radio Times, and ask them what's on.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
My mum was a night-shift Carer at a local Residential Home and would sometimes get a lift home from her colleague who had a Mini Metro (which dates this quite a bit). One morning on the way back the friend commented on the car handling and reckoned there was either a slow rear puncture or the wheel tracking was slightly out. So after dropping my Mum off, she carried on to her friendly Garage mechanic (who was a very nice young man). He did a quick inspection and declared that the wheels and tyres were fine - they just didn't belong to her car. Some-one during the night hadn't just stolen her two Metro rear wheels, they had replaced them. I don't know if that was more strange or less strange.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Remember my post about all the warning signs in the city park? We've got a new one: "Warning, slippery road!" I might avoid the area for now, it's really getting dangerous now! :) I think that city lawyers are running amok.
View attachment 19744 View attachment 19745
Bit alarmist, eh? Maybe some concerned citizen putting them up?

Trevp666

Ephemeral Spectre
.....He did a quick inspection and declared that the wheels and tyres were fine - they just didn't belong to her car. Some-one during the night hadn't just stolen her two Metro rear wheels, they had replaced them. I don't know if that was more strange or less strange.
Probably not all that uncommon, considering the vehicle!
Little known fact - The Metro (also the Montego) was known for a specific issue with it's wheels/tyres, which was that it was factory fitted with hard-to-source 'Metric' items. As such the tyres were an unusual 160/65R- 315- 73S size which were not all that common in the UK
What a lot of owners did was obtain a set of 'standard' size wheels with a matching stud-pattern (usually from a scrap yard with tyres already on) so that when it came to buying new tyres they could just go to their local kwik-fit.
(Or, instead, if they were a bit hard-up, they might go out in the middle of the night and swap the worn tyres on their own car for ones from an identical vehicle...)

PeteS

Seeking refuge
My mum was a night-shift Carer at a local Residential Home and would sometimes get a lift home from her colleague who had a Mini Metro (which dates this quite a bit). One morning on the way back the friend commented on the car handling and reckoned there was either a slow rear puncture or the wheel tracking was slightly out. So after dropping my Mum off, she carried on to her friendly Garage mechanic (who was a very nice young man). He did a quick inspection and declared that the wheels and tyres were fine - they just didn't belong to her car. Some-one during the night hadn't just stolen her two Metro rear wheels, they had replaced them. I don't know if that was more strange or less strange.
It reminds me of an incident a good few years ago, reported in a motoring journal. A shall we say slightly worn car (can't remember make) was stolen from owners driveway. Reappeared several weeks later back on the drive with brand new flash wheels, new tyres, repainted and the interior cleaned up like new. The owner never found out what had happened. Generous friend or relative, or thief with a conscience?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
It reminds me of an incident a good few years ago, reported in a motoring journal. A shall we say slightly worn car (can't remember make) was stolen from owners driveway. Reappeared several weeks later back on the drive with brand new flash wheels, new tyres, repainted and the interior cleaned up like new. The owner never found out what had happened. Generous friend or relative, or thief with a conscience?
Rather odd!

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Here's a sad little one:
I got behind in my local paper's crossword puzzles. Started catching up on last Sunday's crossword yesterday. One clue was "A city in Texas." Usually that means Austin or Laredo if it's 6 letters, but this time it was "Odessa".

INT21

Antediluvian
Maybe some one can answer this.

One way of checking that a piece of steel had been heated up sufficiently to harden it is to try to attach a magnet to it.

When the steel is at required heat, it loses it's ability to attract the magnet.

But when It cools down again, it attracts the magnet as usual. Maybe I should say the magnet attracts the steel.

So, where have the magnetic properties of the steel gone when it is hot ? and why do they return ?

INT21.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Maybe some one can answer this.

One way of checking that a piece of steel had been heated up sufficiently to harden it is to try to attach a magnet to it.

When the steel is at required heat, it loses it's ability to attract the magnet.

But when It cools down again, it attracts the magnet as usual. Maybe I should say the magnet attracts the steel.

So, where have the magnetic properties of the steel gone when it is hot ? and why do they return ?

INT21.
High heat randomises the atoms of the steel, so they can't form the groupings that allow magnetism to work.
AFAIK, the crystalline structure of the metal forms structures called 'domains' that are aligned a certain way. The heat sends those atoms into a frenzy and they move about really fast, unable to form molecular bonds.
But I might be wrong about that - I'm no physicist.