Minor Strangeness

INT21

Antediluvian
Yup, I know what you mean. There was no zoning-out though, it was a busy place with a fast-moving queue (expert servers) and we two were chatting. It felt as if the ground tilted.
So it was four Fridays before Friday 14th September ?

If you can confirm the date then a look at the British Geographical Society's Seismometer readings for the day will show if there were any Earthquakes.

And don't forget that Quadrilla have had to stop fracking due to them causing more quakes.

INT21.

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
I took this photo of Penzance harbour at night. What I can't work out is what the line of lights are just at the bottom of the cloud line on the horizon. There is no land there, just sky. Some appear to be stars but there are a couple of strange lines of lights. Any ideas anyone?

View attachment 20109
I can see what those lights are. I have had the same effect (which I utilised in a promotional photo for one of my websites). It is a reveresed/ mirror image of the row of lights beneath it, caused by (I presume) lens refraction or something to do with light bouncing in the lens.

You can match the lights just below the cloud to the row of lights on the harbour. Start at the left of the row under the cloud and the right of the lights on the dock. You'll see the pattern matches, (i.e. Bright light, row of dimmer lights, super bright, gap, 4 super bright, larger gap, super bright etc etc).

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I did later look and see that the lights did appear to match those below. I do have a UV filter on the lens, whether this may have caused the issue I'm not sure.

Eyespy

Junior Acolyte
I think I've solved it. Recently my bar soap has developed teethmarks. Rats or mice are eating it (bad news that I have rats or mice). Perhaps they dragged away the previous bar into their mousehole.
That's how we found out we had mice, It was either my daughter chewing the soap or rodents.

James- if it helps our mouse preferred flowery flavours over coal tar. We did not find any other mousey evidence (we caught him in a humane trap and released near a local government establishment)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
In my road today I saw a girl walking a ferret on a lead, something I've never seen in real life before.
When I lived in Hungary I saw people walking ferrets on leads. The Hungarian word for 'ferret' is 'ferret'! and a ferret on a lead will walk as close to the wall as possible. Comical to watch.

Trevp666

Ephemeral Spectre
https://listverse.com/2013/12/26/10-fascinating-facts-about-ferrets/

And #4 tells us about the use of ferrets for running wires through aeroplanes etc.
"....Their ability to worm their way through confined spaces has led several institutions to use them for running wire. In the 1960s, aircraft manufacturer Boeing used ferrets to string wire through planes. They were also used to run cable at Buckingham Palace for the 1981 nuptials of Prince Charles and Princess Diana. Ferrets were also used to lay cables in tunnels underneath Greenwich Park to save London’s New Years’ Eve Millennium Concert. The ferrets were encouraged to scamper through the tunnels with bits of meat baiting them at the other end. "

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
In my road today I saw a girl walking a ferret on a lead, something I've never seen in real life before.
Many, many years ago my 'nutty' friend used to walk her ferret on a lead through the streets of our fairly large town. One of my neat coincidences occured one day when I was with her, this discussion although in the 'minor strangeness thread' and not the 'coincidences' has prompted me to post it.

We'd walked to the parade of shops, my toddler had gone into the shop with her leaving me outside with the ferret on his lead and my youngest in his push chair. The ferret always attracted comments and looks so it was no surprise when another young mother approached me for a chat. When we'd exhausted the ferret we moved onto our respective children.

'How old is your little one?' I told her and as the conversation progressed we established they were exactly the same age almost to the hour! Further more they'd both been born in the same hospital, and she thought it funny that she couldn't remember me as she could remember the other mothers.

So anyway after a bit of 'that's funnying' and umming and ahhing on my part I came clean and told her that he was my adopted son so she wouldn't remember me! However it turned out that she could indeed recall his birth mother and father and was able to furnish me with some interesting details which confirmed and greatly expanded on some of the things that the adoption society had told us! It meant so much to me to be able to picture his early hours/days as he was several weeks old before being placed with us, and also to get an idea of what his parents were like, it just filled in a gap! Respecting his birth parents privacy I didn't ask if she could recall any names and in any case what would I do with that sort of information? I'd really rather not know and I'd got the info that meant the most to me. :)

So thankyou to the Ferret and the Universe for arranging the introduction. The shared birthday thing is fairly common but I felt this one had bells and whistles on!!

You'd probably have to be wary of dogs - ferrets look a bit like stretched rats.
Ah but do they emit the same odours lol

Sollywos x

Last edited:

marksourbutts

Junior Acolyte
I took this photo of Penzance harbour at night. What I can't work out is what the line of lights are just at the bottom of the cloud line on the horizon. There is no land there, just sky. Some appear to be stars but there are a couple of strange lines of lights. Any ideas anyone?

View attachment 20109
I had a similar effect over the weekend when taking video from the big wheel in Blackpool.
http://instagr.am/p/B2wUnXHHYpV/
Some cursory googling tells me that it is light artefacts in my phone's camera lens.

Mark ;0)

PeteS

Seeking refuge
When I lived in Hungary I saw people walking ferrets on leads. The Hungarian word for 'ferret' is 'ferret'! and a ferret on a lead will walk as close to the wall as possible. Comical to watch.
Pretty common sight in the grim North of the Uk. We were taking a walk in the local park a couple of weeks ago and a young man was walking two very young ferrets. They both took a fancy to Ms Petes, one climbing in her handbag, the other wanting to nestle in her jumper. Really cute. I've wanted to get a couple for decades, but can't now since funny little cat would be scared witless.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Pretty common sight in the grim North of the Uk. We were taking a walk in the local park a couple of weeks ago and a young man was walking two very young ferrets. They both took a fancy to Ms Petes, one climbing in her handbag, the other wanting to nestle in her jumper. Really cute. I've wanted to get a couple for decades, but can't now since funny little cat would be scared witless.
One strolled into our kitchen a few years ago. The several cats present were not impressed. I printed out some 'FERRET FOUND' leaflets to put through local doors and it was quickly reclaimed. Techy took it round the corner to where it came from and it was joyfully reunited with its owner, a little Eastern European girl.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
One strolled into our kitchen a few years ago. The several cats present were not impressed. I printed out some 'FERRET FOUND' leaflets to put through local doors and it was quickly reclaimed. Techy took it round the corner to where it came from and it was joyfully reunited with its owner, a little Eastern European girl.
I can still picture, 40 years ago and more, a large mature ferret running down my mum and dads very long drive, headed straight for me and bit my finger! We kept it for a few days and it then went to someone who kept ferrets. It was a little beggar for biting and I probably still have the scars. I suspect it had lived in the wild for some time before deciding I looked like a total sucker for a cute face.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

Marwood

Fresh Blood
has The Big Lebowski been named yet?
Good call! Isn't that the scene with RHCP bassist Flea?

My dad's ferrets were used in a photo shoot for Shooting Times a few years ago. He also had a problem with his ferrets being stolen a few times (they're working ferrets so kept in runs outside). The last time, he called the police and they actually found them about half a mile away and brought them back!

hunck

Justified & Ancient
While we're here, let's not forget the noble sport of 'ferret-legging'.

Two ferrets are placed in trousers tied at the ankles & a tight belt to stop them escaping. The ferrets must have a full set of teeth & claws that must not have been filed or otherwise blunted. Underwear is not allowed.

The sport is said to involve very little "native skill", simply an ability to "have your tool bitten and not care". Competitors can attempt, from outside their trousers, to dislodge the ferrets, but as the animals can maintain a strong hold for long periods, their removal can be difficult.

World record holder for a while was retired miner Reg Mellor from Barnsley with the slightly unbelievable time of 5hours 26mins, set at the Annual Pennine Show in Holmforth, Yorks in 1981.

Mellor, who had hunted with ferrets in the dales outside Barnsley for many years, had grown accustomed to keeping them in his trousers to keep them warm and dry when out working in the rain. His "trick" was to ensure that the ferrets were well-fed before they were inserted into his trousers.

In 1986, Mellor attempted to break his own record before a crowd of 2,500 spectators, intending to beat the "magic six-hour mark—the four-minute mile of ferret legging". After five hours, most of the attendees had become bored and left; workmen arrived to dismantle the stage, despite Mellor's protests that he was on his way to a new record. According to Adrian Tame of the Sunday Herald Sun, Mellor retired after that experience, "disillusioned and broken-hearted," but with his dignity and manhood intact.

Frank Bartlett, a retired headmaster, and Christine Farnsworth, subsequently broke Mellor's record in 2010. The pair managed five hours and thirty minutes, raising £1,000 for the Whittington Community First Responders.
I'm not clear whether they were in separate trousers or both in one massive pair.

Marlene Blackburn, who works with the Ferret Rescue League to ensure that no ferrets are harmed in the sport, claims that during the years the competitions have been held in Richmond no contestant has ever been bitten, although some may get a few scratches. According to Kelly Yager of the Manitoba Ferret Association, the animals actually like small, confined spaces. Jay Lugar, spokesman for the Richmond Highland Games & Celtic Festival, said ferrets are "generally very harmless, fun-loving creatures." Reg Mellor, however, commented that at their very worst, they can be "cannibals, things that live only to kill, that'll eat your eyes out to get at your brain".

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
"who works with the Ferret Rescue League to ensure that no ferrets are harmed in the sport,"
Well, thank goodness for that.

I think "sport" is very liberally defined here, though. At first glance I thought the aim was to see which ferret would chew itself out of the pants first, but you have to wear the pants? At times like these I can't comprehend how I could be descended from the British, since your past times seem so weird to me . . . o_O

hunck

Justified & Ancient
"who works with the Ferret Rescue League to ensure that no ferrets are harmed in the sport,"
Well, thank goodness for that.

I think "sport" is very liberally defined here, though. At first glance I thought the aim was to see which ferret would chew itself out of the pants first, but you have to wear the pants? At times like these I can't comprehend how I could be descended from the British, since your past times seem so weird to me . . . o_O
Nothing weird about shoving a couple of ferrets down your trousers, let me tell you. You'll also be interested to hear there's a ladies version with the ferrets being placed in your blouse. Equal opportunity & all that..

plastic wiganer

Ephemeral Spectre
i adopted a ferret (pole cat actually) in my early teens - i was out early one morning hunting for rabbits and or ducks, when i caught a glimpse of something moving by the edge of a large pond. instinctively i raised my gun ready for the shot when the head of a small animal appeared from behind some rocks- there it was a very young ferret. I carefully rescued it and took it home in a large empty paint tub i found, believing it would rip me apart if i touched it! Anyway she (it was a jill) lived with us and the dogs for a couple of years or so and was a lovely little thing very friendly and playful. Incidentally i NEVER took her hunting she was too valued as a pet