Minor Strangeness

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I vaguely recollect some tales. Ilkley Moor is quite large. People crossing have taken a wrong turn and died from exposure in winter. When the mist comes down one bit of moorland looks pretty much like another.
There have been a few ufo incidents there.
There is a bit of controversy as to whether what is called 'Ilkley Moor' is actually Rombald's Moor. There is a statue of the giant Rombald in Keighley shopping centre.
I'll have to check the OS map.

INT21.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The 'Baht 'at' Is a form of Earth spirit that roams Ilkley Moor mourning the loss of it's lover , the 'Ma' rejain'.

It entices people to wander of the only track across the moor when it is very misty. The doomed traveler hears a sad mournful wail and, thinking it is a fellow traveler in distress, walks off the track and is soon completely disorientated.

Their pathetic corps may be found by others days later.

People traveling across from Keighley to Ilkley are encouraged to sing the song 'Ilkla Moor Baht 'at' as loudly as possible and for as long as it takes to cross. This is why the song has so many verses.

It is said this comforts the Baht 'at, and it lets them pass unmolested.

INT21.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Ahhh now i have heard that song, now i can at least pronounce the bugger, bar tat

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Pretty close, depends upon just where in the region you live.

I would pronounce it Bart 'aT.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
The doomed traveler hears a sad mournful wail and, thinking it is a fellow traveler in distress, walks off the track and is soon completely disorientated.
Only hear it if you're not wearing a hat though.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Maybe .

But 'bar tha hat' i.e without your hat . is closer. 'Tha', coming from 'thy ' (Thine) (Your).

Anyway, 'Tha's bahn to catch thee death o' cold' if you don't take one.

asparagus

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
A curious but very small thing just happened this afternoon. Yesterday a small ornament, a candle holder made of thin porcelain, was knocked behind the piano during cleaning and broke. Today I got all the pieces together and tied them up in a plastic bag and put it on top of the piano. A couple of hours later my better half and I were peacefully seated on the sofa when the bag fell off from the piano top onto the floor. It had been placed two or three inches back from the edge on a level surface, it had been there at least two hours (so any 'unfolding' of the plastic should have finished), and there was no vibration or other reason why it should have happened.

We live in an old cottage but this sort of thing never happens. Mrs Asparagus said perhaps we had an entity around who was bored so I said if they're bored they can glue the ornament together tonight while we are asleep. I will leave the glue out but I'm not holding my breath!

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A sort of serendipitous strangeness.

I mentioned elsewhere that I had bought some razor blades. Well, just opposite the shop I bought them from is a charity shop. One I haven't been in for years as they are getting expensive (Oxfam). I had intended to look on Amazon for a copy of the book 'The power of Now' By Eckhart Tolle. I went into the shop to see what they had, and there it was on a shelf. Price £1.50. If it hadn't been for the hunt for blades, I probably would not have gone in there. Not a street I often walk down.

Meechyemoo

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago we went to Beamaris Gaol. The woman on the desk offered for me us to join a tour with another couple. The guide asked if any one was interested n the paranormal and said she would tell us any spooky stories. We went into the women's washroom and I felt rather than really heard "Jennie, Jennie, Jennie, Jennie". When we left the room it went. The guide asked us later on if we had felt anything. So I mentioned about the washroom. The other couple hung back a bit, and said they were just checking on their daughter they had left in the holiday home especially because i had mentioned Jennie which was her name!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Ooh, Beamaris Gaol! So they'll tell you spooky stories there? I'm up for that!

We sometimes cycle near there. I had relations in the area as a child and we'd holiday with them, and visit Beaumaris and the Castle. I don't think the Gaol was open to the public back then. I thought the Castle was most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. We must go back in the spring!

Meechyemoo

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I think they are going to close until March but are hoping to open all year round from next year. She did say it had been closed for a while. The guide was brilliant, lnowlegable and enthusiastic about the Gaol (not just the ghosts).

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Friday I was thinking about Italian sports cars (something I rarely do) and It dawned on me that you don't often see Maserati cars these days. I think they were taken over by FIAT. anyway. I went into town and pulled into a parking space, right behind a white Maserati.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
How about this...
We got a new kitchen fitted last week and the fitter left some long pieces of wood on the living room floor overnight. I am always the first person downstairs in the morning, and, when I came down this day I saw one of my son's little toys (a digger from Superwings) on the wood, facing towards me at the door. I didn't remember seeing it there when I went to bed the night before but ignored it, put the kettle on and went for a pee in the downstairs toilet.
When I came back into the room about a minute later the toy was roughly 3 feet away from where it had been, still on the wood - and FACING THE OTHER WAY.
I immediately went upstairs - wife in the toilet, son still in bed playing his tablet, daughter in bed on her phone. I am certain none of them had come downstairs, cos they'd have had to pass the toilet I was in and I'd have heard them.
The fact the toy had turned around was the thing - maybe it might have rolled away, but to turn? On a piece of wood only about 4 inches wide?