Minor Strangeness

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Another strange little experience this week. Out on the congested roads in the grim north of the UK, I had to stop at a red light on a pedestrian crossing, cursing slightly because there was literally no one around to cross. This crossing is set on a busy but straight road with a wide pavement which is 6 or 7 meters wide with a clear view of the wide corner of the road junction, the pavement on both sides ahead and the road. Only a very narrow lamp standard positioned about 5 meters in front of the crossing. I was watching the lights for the them to change and the adjacent pavement when suddenly , apparently out of nowhere, a very large lady stepped (from the nearside) onto the crossing. I almost jumped, out of surprise at her appearance. Obviously a trick of the mind or sight, but somewhat disconcerting nonetheless.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I had some minor weirdness earlier.
After work, I parked at Tesco and locked the car doors as usual with the remote fob.
Like I always do, I checked the doors... and the front ones opened! WTF.
I tried this repeatedly and concluded that something was wrong. Rather than leave an insecure car and risk getting robbed, I drove back home.
Locked the car in my driveway and the locks both worked OK!

Either the locking system experienced a transitory malfunction, or someone nearby was tuning into my remote and unlocking it... I'm really not sure what happened there.

Trish71

Devoted Cultist
My car keys have a habit of wandering about the place too.
A few years back I had come home after work and took off my jacket with my car keys still in my hand. In the process, I accidentally let go of them and in theory the only places they could have landed is on the floor or they could have still been in my jacket sleeve. However, they never ever reappeared and I had to root out the spare key which I continued to use till I got rid of the car. To this day I cannot figure out where they vanished to?

Indrid Drood

Loitering with Ludic Intent
A few years back I had come home after work and took off my jacket with my car keys still in my hand. In the process, I accidentally let go of them and in theory the only places they could have landed is on the floor or they could have still been in my jacket sleeve. However, they never ever reappeared and I had to root out the spare key which I continued to use till I got rid of the car. To this day I cannot figure out where they vanished to?
Were you aware of letting go of them when you did so, and how long was it before you first went looking for them?

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Either the locking system experienced a transitory malfunction, or someone nearby was tuning into my remote and unlocking it... I'm really not sure what happened there.
Some years ago I left my daughter in the car while I took a trolley to the rack.
When I came back the doors were locked and I asked her why she had locked them She replied that the driver of the car next to me had pressed the remote for his car and ours had locked.
It wasn't even the same type of car.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Some years ago I left my daughter in the car while I took a trolley to the rack.
When I came back the doors were locked and I asked her why she had locked them She replied that the driver of the car next to me had pressed the remote for his car and ours had locked.
This would be (or should be ... ) a rare occurrence if both cars had factory original equipment security / remote systems.

It would be much more likely to occur if both cars had the same or similar post-factory third party (e.g., installed pre-sale @ dealership or aftermarket) security systems and the third party controllers / remotes were still using manufacturer default settings.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I have got to the door and inside to find i had lost some batteries i was carrying, i went back outside and there they were on the pad, seems that i must have released them without knowing, in fact not long after i felt myself letting go of something in my hand without me wanting to, extremely rare i have done that since (that was a long time ago)

balding13

Ephemeral Spectre
Most of us believe that there have to be portals for lost objects.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
I have got to the door and inside to find i had lost some batteries i was carrying, i went back outside and there they were on the pad, seems that i must have released them without knowing, in fact not long after i felt myself letting go of something in my hand without me wanting to, extremely rare i have done that since (that was a long time ago)
I wonder if when you released the door handle, you inadvertently opened the other hand with it? Just one of those strange brain farts.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Presumably you unlocked your car and drove away. The other driver will have then got back and wondered why they had left the doors unlocked when they were sure they had locked them with the remote...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We had a thread on a car ignition problem in a Lake District village where, it turned out, a nearby cafe's iPad-based ordering system was interfering with the signals. Can't find it now but a Bristol area branch of Lidl has a similar issue.

Here is a slighly frivolous report by Bristol Live:

We went to check if Lidl actually stopped you from unlocking your car

Here at Bristol Live, we go right to the heart of the story.

So when I heard the reports of car key fobs malfunctioning at Kingswood's Lidl, there was only one thing on my mind.

Thinking nothing of the risks – the office car being marooned in the Halls Road car park – I launched an investigation that would put Woodward and Bernstein to shame.

Bristol Live reported last week that at least 12 people had been unable to unlock their cars after leaving them in the supermarket's car park.

Accompanied by our trusty photographer Dave, I drove Bristol Live's Vauxhall Corsa there to find out if the key fob would be affected.
Nothing of note happened so the reporter was reduced to repeating Facebook reports of customer problems.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Got back to the car to find the wife laughing her head off, a car had parked next to us
and has he got out and locked is car ours unlocked, this of course became a challenge
that went on for several minutes but unlike the wife the poor sod had not clocked what
was going on, bet he is still confused, never happened before or since.
Such fun

Trish71

Devoted Cultist
Were you aware of letting go of them when you did so, and how long was it before you first went looking for them?
I was aware of letting them go because I had to in order to fit my hand through the cuff. I immediately started lookin for them and tore the whole house apart in the process. I even searched places I'd not even been as I had only just walked through the front door. It drove me crazy searching because there was nowhere for then to have gone except inside said sleeve or the floor (I didn't hear then drop). I even looked inside the sleeve lining but they had just gone! I have moved house since then too and they never ever showed up!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I completely agree with you because too many people lose too many things. Wonder where they go though? Wherever they end up, there's definitely an eclectic mix of things there.
A couple of weeks ago I was messing about with a zip. I managed to drop the zip-pull on the floor and it's gorn, Missus. I ransacked the room for it, no joy. Of course it's black so I'll never find it. Where DO things go?

We have a thread on disappearing objects. One poster, as a child, saw a teddy fall against a skirting board and vanish in front of his eyes.

Trish71

Devoted Cultist
A couple of weeks ago I was messing about with a zip. I managed to drop the zip-pull on the floor and it's gorn, Missus. I ransacked the room for it, no joy. Of course it's black so I'll never find it. Where DO things go?

We have a thread on disappearing objects. One poster, as a child, saw a teddy fall against a skirting board and vanish in front of his eyes.
Don't it do your head right in when you KNOW that something you've dropped SHOULD be somewhere but the bloody thing is never ever seen again!
I can only imagine that there's a plane of existence that's filled to the bloody brim with lost stuff! A cosmic hoarder's paradise!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
In an emergency, paper clip works well as a zip pull.
This was a zip I'd removed from a coat because it didn't work and I couldn't fix it, which is unusual. I was going to re-assemble it to put aside for use as a replacement when needed. The missing bit is the actual 'slider'. Wonder if it'll ever turn up?

Indrid Drood

Loitering with Ludic Intent
I completely agree with you because too many people lose too many things. Wonder where they go though? Wherever they end up, there's definitely an eclectic mix of things there.
My most recent loss was a favourite pair of jeans. I've combed through everything here multiple times, no luck. I guess we just need to enjoy/make the best use of what we have for the possibly brief time we retain possession of it, and not be too surprised if some day it suddenly vanishes.

INT21

Antediluvian
My most recent loss was a favourite pair of jeans. I've combed through everything here multiple times, no luck. I guess we just need to enjoy/make the best use of what we have for the possibly brief time we retain possession of it, and not be too surprised if some day it suddenly vanishes.
Arnold Layne perhaps ?

Happened to a new pair of jeans I bought.