Minor Strangeness

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
New minor strangeness:
Somewhere on this forum (in different thread I think but I'm too lazy to look for it now), there was a quip about a dog that wink, wink! we pretended could drive. That was last week.
Since then, there has been a news item I've seen or heard about a different dog everyday that actually drove a car!
Real life has been imitating forum humor.
Yeah, I checked, my dog STILL can't drive! She's too small, her paws don't reach the pedals.

brownmane

off kilter
A year or two ago, I lost my house keys. I always put them in a specific pocket in my purse with my car keys (they are separate).

I pulled everything out of my purse, no keys. I also have a canvas bag which I carry my purse in along with a book, an agenda book, my reading glasses and anything else that I pick up and throw in. So I dumped it on the the floor, no keys.

Of course I realized I'd lost them a day or two after I could remember using them. My neighbours have my extra set, so I used them.

After a week of looking, I'd come to the conclusion that I was going to have to get all of my keys recut. Just as I was going out have this done, I looked in my purse. And there were the keys! I have no idea why I didn't find them earlier. My purse is not big as I hate those huge purses that have no pockets and everything ends up somewhere on the bottom.

I always put my keys in a specific pocket and occasionally I miss the pocket and they fall into another area of my purse. But I keep my purse relatively empty with only keys, wallet and possibly a receipt or two, and my cheque book, so where were they for the entire week?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
A year or two ago, I lost my house keys. I always put them in a specific pocket in my purse with my car keys (they are separate).
Keys and pockets caused no end of trouble for me so for the past 15 or so years all my keys have been on ski passes. The strap goes round my neck and the keys are unclipped for driving. At home everything's lobbed in a drawer beside the front door. Works MOST of the time.

Ger

Junior Acolyte

I pulled everything out of my purse, no keys. I also have a canvas bag which I carry my purse in along with a book, an agenda book, my reading glasses and anything else that I pick up and throw in. So I dumped it on the the floor, no keys.

Of course I realized I'd lost them a day or two after I could remember using them. My neighbours have my extra set, so I used them.

After a week of looking, I'd come to the conclusion that I was going to have to get all of my keys recut. Just as I was going out have this done, I looked in my purse. And there were the keys! I have no idea why I didn't find them earlier. My purse is not big as I hate those huge purses that have no pockets and everything ends up somewhere on the bottom.

I always put my keys in a specific pocket and occasionally I miss the pocket and they fall into another area of my purse. But I keep my purse relatively empty with only keys, wallet and possibly a receipt or two, and my cheque book, so where were they for the entire week?
Welcome to my world Brownmane, I frequently lose all sorts...but think it's just me !

Last edited by a moderator:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Here's where bragging gets you: yesterday after the battery failed to elude me I took off my specs and lost them, and had to break out the less comfortable emergency back-up ones. Then I put on a necklace, an occut symbol on a chain, and halfway through my shift noticed it'd gorn, curses.

Found the specs but the necklace hasn't resurfaced.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Here's where bragging gets you: yesterday after the battery failed to elude me I took off my specs and lost them, and had to break out the less comfortable emergency back-up ones. Then I put on a necklace, an occut symbol on a chain, and halfway through my shift noticed it'd gorn, curses.

Found the specs but the necklace hasn't resurfaced.
That'll teach you to be clever and find a battery that was supposed to be lost:)

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
You've just reminded me, Scargy. The necklace of my aunt's has never turned up. It was among her things when she died and I really loved it so it was given to me, a black stone like the centre of a daisy, surrounded by metal scrollwork forming the petals (hard to describe really). It was quite old, my mum thought my aunt had been given it just after the war.

I wore it and wore it, and one day took it off and remember putting it somewhere 'safely' - but not inaccessibly. I seem to remember I was staying at my ex partner's house, so put it somewhere that it would come home with me, rather than being left there. It has never been seen since, and his house has burned down and been rebuilt since, it never turned up in the debris, it's never turned up here at my house.

I sometimes go for a furtive rummage through the pockets of clothes I haven't worn for ages in the hope it will pop back into existence, but it hasn't. I'm moving house soon and hoping that it will turn up during the chaos of the move as though it's always been here.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
You've just reminded me, Scargy. The necklace of my aunt's has never turned up. It was among her things when she died and I really loved it so it was given to me, a black stone like the centre of a daisy, surrounded by metal scrollwork forming the petals (hard to describe really). It was quite old, my mum thought my aunt had been given it just after the war.

I wore it and wore it, and one day took it off and remember putting it somewhere 'safely' - but not inaccessibly. I seem to remember I was staying at my ex partner's house, so put it somewhere that it would come home with me, rather than being left there. It has never been seen since, and his house has burned down and been rebuilt since, it never turned up in the debris, it's never turned up here at my house.

I sometimes go for a furtive rummage through the pockets of clothes I haven't worn for ages in the hope it will pop back into existence, but it hasn't. I'm moving house soon and hoping that it will turn up during the chaos of the move as though it's always been here.
Have faith! My necklace could be nearly anywhere in the country by now so I'm not holding out much hope. Yours is probably still safe somewhere waiting for you to find it.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
While driving through Tottenham last night I was held up by & eventually followed a big convoy of 'official vehicles' of various types. I'd say there were around 40 - 50 altogether, with many attendant police motor bikes. A handful of the vehicles, & they were all mostly big fuck-off SUV types, had joint British & American flags flying on the bonnet. It was dark but they mostly looked to have tinted windows.

A lot of blue flashing lights on pretty much all the cars/SUVs & an electronic sign on the last police car 'keep back'. There was a really unusual looking truck in the middle of the convoy, a squarish body with some sort of small dome on top. Never seen one like it.The convoy was heading towards the west end.

It was certainly ferrying someone around & the only one who springs to mind with this amount of security would be the don, but is he in town?

While driving through Tottenham last night I was held up by & eventually followed a big convoy of 'official vehicles' of various types. I'd say there were around 40 - 50 altogether, with many attendant police motor bikes. A handful of the vehicles, & they were all mostly big fuck-off SUV types, had joint British & American flags flying on the bonnet. It was dark but they mostly looked to have tinted windows.

A lot of blue flashing lights on pretty much all the cars/SUVs & an electronic sign on the last police car 'keep back'. There was a really unusual looking truck in the middle of the convoy, a squarish body with some sort of small dome on top. Never seen one like it.The convoy was heading towards the west end.

It was certainly ferrying someone around & the only one who springs to mind with this amount of security would be the don, but is he in town?
Yeah he is, there's a UN or Nato thing in London.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Have faith! My necklace could be nearly anywhere in the country by now so I'm not holding out much hope. Yours is probably still safe somewhere waiting for you to find it.
Don't despair, Escargot. Your necklace will show up one day in a sock drawer with a bunch of exotic tea spoons and some pocket lint.

Trish71

Devoted Cultist

Found this link with all the vehicles you saw named! Overkill or what
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...onvoy-accompanies-Trump-Britains-streets.html
Just read its cost £25 million to equip him with all this. I say give him an A to Z and let the ducker get on with it. Ridiculous.

Scribbles

Ephemeral Spectre
Now when my stuff inexplicably goes missing, the minute something can't be found in places it should reasonably be, I just reorder on Amazon (most stuff I now buy is from there, I rarely go shopping). I'm talking hats, jewellery, gloves, nothing expensive but something that has proved its worth. I've spent too much of my life turning the house upside down looking for things that have no right to be lost. It's too stressful.

The weird thing is, the originals never turn up, at least not until this weekend when a great pair of cheap earrings thought to be lost presented themselves in a very obvious jewellery box on my dressing table, before the replacement pair had even arrived from Amazon. Well at least I now how a spare pair should one pair disappear again!

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
And the cruelest thing a woman can do to a man is (drum roll)

Tidy up after him.
And the cruelest thing a man can do is leave his damn stuff all over the soddin' place, especially if some of it is his partners/mother's stuff borrowed without permission!

AAARRRGGGHHHH!

Sollywos x

Last edited:

Trish71

Devoted Cultist
Now when my stuff inexplicably goes missing, the minute something can't be found in places it should reasonably be, I just reorder on Amazon (most stuff I now buy is from there, I rarely go shopping). I'm talking hats, jewellery, gloves, nothing expensive but something that has proved its worth. I've spent too much of my life turning the house upside down looking for things that have no right to be lost. It's too stressful.

The weird thing is, the originals never turn up, at least not until this weekend when a great pair of cheap earrings thought to be lost presented themselves in a very obvious jewellery box on my dressing table, before the replacement pair had even arrived from Amazon. Well at least I now how a spare pair should one pair disappear again!
No doubt, you had already searched said jewelry box numerous times whilst hunting for the lost earrings?

Perhaps Amazon hires cat burglars to come in and steal your things and then resell them to you. A great conspiracy story emerges.:lolling: