Minor Strangeness

INT21

Antediluvian
A slightly mysterious story that had a logical conclusion (but yet to be verified).

An hour ago my good wife holler 'get your butt of that chain and go get me food; like NOW'.

Actually that didn't happen; well not in that exact form.

She mentioned that one of our granddaughters had sent her a text stating that the Mirage (Take away that was burned down a while back) had re-opened. It was on their website.
So wife, who is on a rabbit food diet, decided she wanted a 'proper' meal. And would I get her something from Mirage.

So, I phoned the take-away. Phone ringing, but no one picking up. I said I would go down and order directly.

Goes out onto wild, wet and distinctly miserable night. Drives to town. Mirage closed.

Wondering why she had claimed it was open, on my return I went to the website and indeed it did appear to be open.

Then it dawned on me what was happening.

In the box on the page that has their opening hours it said, OPEN - Midnight (or something similar). What I think was doing on was that they hadn't changed the site since the fire. And as soon as the time passed their normal opening time it changed to OPEN.

And, naturally, this granddaughter is blonde.

INT21

Dick Turpin

Ephemeral Spectre
An update on my ghostly weekend away birthday treat to the Bull hotel, long Melford. Despite booking room 4, which is the hotels most active room, I can honestly say that nothing happened whatsoever.

To be honest though, The ghost of Anne Boleyn, a headless horseman, the brown lady of Raynham hall, and Bill, former resident of 284 Green street, could have been playing tidderly winks on the bedroom floor and we wouldn’t have noticed, such was the inebriated state of us both.

I nearly choked when I saw the bar bill on Sunday morning.

Still, a big thankyou to Mrs DT who helped make it such a unforgettable weekend – or should that be forgettable, neither of us can remember a damn thing. :D

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
An update on my ghostly weekend away birthday treat to the Bull hotel, long Melford. Despite booking room 4, which is the hotels most active room, I can honestly say that nothing happened whatsoever.

To be honest though, The ghost of Anne Boleyn, a headless horseman, the brown lady of Raynham hall, and Bill, former resident of 284 Green street, could have been playing tidderly winks on the bedroom floor and we wouldn’t have noticed, such was the inebriated state of us both.

Still, a big thankyou to Mrs DT who helped make it such a unforgettable weekend – or should that be forgettable, neither of us can remember a damn thing. :D
Sounds like you enjoyed the company of spirits, anyway.

Carl Grove

Abominable Snowman

Afraid you have failed your Ghosthunter certificate, then..

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Furriedom does strike me as a Fortean phenomenon!

In that spirit, please keep further comments away from the ill-judged vituperation which has marred earlier posts :)

Frides

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Furries in the rain on Scheveningen boulevard.
Somehow there is a lot of animosity against this hobby, but I have a weak spot for them. View attachment 23750
I don't know much about them but I always read it as 'furies' so could it be a subconscious thing, then again I always read the latest mad max film as 'Furry Road' so maybe just me.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Furriedom does strike me as a Fortean phenomenon!

In that spirit, please keep further comments away from the ill-judged vituperation which has marred earlier posts :)

Frides
Just had to look up 'vituperation' will be using that word whenever I can from now on !

packshaud

Junior Acolyte
I can only tell about English and Portuguese, and there is extensive duplicated vocabulary in both languages with different words for the same concepts; but one is used only for humans, and the other, only with non-humans.

Furries mix these two deeply separated areas, and are uncomfortable to the very structure of thinking for most people (I'm thinking of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, on how language structure constrains thought). I guess this drives some of the hate.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
This morning, lying in bed looking at t'internet, I heard a sound like gravel being thrown at the window.

Sprang up, ran downstairs, rushed outside, nobody in sight, and certainly no gravel lying around.

Turned to go back in and noticed one of the cats inspecting something on the doorstep. It was an icicle! Bloody'ell, I thought, didn't think it was THAT cold last night!

Picked it up to show to Techy (possibly after storing it in the freezer if necessary and) and found it wasn't even cold. Plastic, in fact.

Our neighbours have left their external xmas decorations up and a plastic icicle must've fallen off, rolled down our porch, bounced off my car bonnet and landed on my doorstep. Or else t'global warming is getting really serious.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
I was sitting on a chair next to the computer desk talking on the phone to a friend because a mutual friend's father had just died.
There's a bookcase to the right and behind that is the path to the front door where I have a couple of doorstops.
I heard a noise and the ceramic ballshaped one with a flat bottom suddenly rolled around the bookcase.
The friend whose father had died told me yesterday she was emptying 4 mousetraps in her bird aviary but then could only find 3.
She even sifted through the seed trough and the bag she put the mice in.
Later on she went back to the aviary and the other trap was sitting next to the seed trough.

Dick Turpin

Ephemeral Spectre
Not Fortean, but something very odd happened yesterday evening.

My eldest daughter (almost 18) has always detested my home made stew.

Even as a small child she would refuse to eat it, so whenever I made a pot ( about once a month in the winter months) I would always have to make her something else.

She does voluntary work at a local zoo, and came home last night and asked what was for dinner. I said that the rest of us all have stew, but I was prepared to buy her fish and chips, but she said that she wanted stew.

Surprised by this, I gave a small bowl thinking she’d have a few spoonfuls and turn her nose up, but she ate the lot and then asked for more.

I then gave her a man sized bowl, and she wolfed that down too, thanked me and went to her room, as if her eating stew was the most natural thing in the world.

It left the rest of the DT family looking at each other in disbelief.

Very odd.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Even as a small child she would refuse to eat it, so whenever I made a pot ( about once a month in the winter months) I would always have to make her something else.

She does voluntary work at a local zoo, and came home last night and asked what was for dinner. I said that the rest of us all have stew, but I was prepared to buy her fish and chips, but she said that she wanted stew.

Surprised by this, I gave a small bowl thinking she’d have a few spoonfuls and turn her nose up, but she ate the lot and then asked for more.

I then gave her a man sized bowl, and she wolfed that down too, thanked me and went to her room, as if her eating stew was the most natural thing in the world.

Very odd.
She's the one from an alternate dimension. She may be back to normal now, if the dimensions have flipped back.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

Very odd.
Our next door neighbours sell a small range of farm produce, I introduced the Mrs to duck eggs from him last year, she'd not tried them before and she was absolutely raving about them ..

He's just got this year's first batch in (the ducks have started laying again) and he's gone out of his way to let me know and get extra in but she's decided she doesn't like them now after all? .. it's not like we were eating them all the time or ever bought any from him that were off .. it's a mystery to me. I've apologised to him anyway.

Dick Turpin

Ephemeral Spectre
Yeah it’s odd how the culinary mind works. I’m a bit of a dab hand in the kitchen, and one of meals Mrs DT used to ask me to cook the most was liver and bacon.

Even if we went out for dinner, if liver and bacon was on the menu, she’d order it.

Then her grandmother died of liver cancer, and she hasn’t eaten it since bless her.

She’s obviously still traumatised by the loss of her Nan.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

Very odd.
I never made a fuss if my kids refused to eat anything as I thought it gave them undue attention and anyway there were always eager takers for whatever was going.
One decided he didn't like carrots so I stopped serving them to him, and one day he said 'Mum, why don't you give me carrots?'
The carrots went on his plate without a word and the matter was never discussed again.

Heh.

Edited next day to correct mistakes caused by cat lying across the keyboard.

Last edited:

Dick Turpin

Ephemeral Spectre
I never made a fuss if my kids refused to eat anything as I thought it gave them undue attention and anyway there were always eager takers fro whatever was going.
One decided he didn't like carrots so I stopped serving them to him, and one day he said 'Mum, why don't you put give me carrots?'
The carrots went on his plate without a word and the matter was never discussed again.

Heh.
Exactly my way of thinking scargy.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Yeah it’s odd how the culinary mind works. I’m a bit of a dab hand in the kitchen, and one of meals Mrs DT used to ask me to cook the most was liver and bacon.

Even if we went out for dinner, if liver and bacon was on the menu, she’d order it.

Then her grandmother died of liver cancer, and she hasn’t eaten it since bless her.

She’s obviously still traumatised by the loss of her Nan.
Livers, eh. In my experience people do associate human and 'food' livers.

I once bought a huge cut-price pack of chicken livers which I gave to my Mum to cook for Dad. He ate the lot at once, fried up with onions.
Mum said 'Your Dad says thank you for that liver transplant!'

When George Best had his liver transplant I was working in a hospital.
Best's operation was big news. When I'd serve patients with liver I'd say 'Get it down yer, George Best'd be grateful for that!'

bugmum

Devoted Cultist
Livers, eh. In my experience people do associate human and 'food' livers.
When I was a little buglet, I didn't like liver - probably because my mother fried it until it was sorry for whatever it had done - and she was surprisingly nice about frying me an egg instead. Then I decided I liked it when I was about 7 or 8 - about the time she stopped massacring it and started casseroling it instead. However, I once picked up a nasty case of food poisoning at a friend's barbecue, and it coincided with a liver dish at home, and funnily enough, I stopped eating it again for a while. Then, as a penniless student, I appreciated how cheap it was and went back on the stuff. It's a funny old world.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
When I was a little buglet, I didn't like liver - probably because my mother fried it until it was sorry for whatever it had done - and she was surprisingly nice about frying me an egg instead. Then I decided I liked it when I was about 7 or 8 - about the time she stopped massacring it and started casseroling it instead. However, I once picked up a nasty case of food poisoning at a friend's barbecue, and it coincided with a liver dish at home, and funnily enough, I stopped eating it again for a while. Then, as a penniless student, I appreciated how cheap it was and went back on the stuff. It's a funny old world.
The ex hated liver and I'm vegetarian so it was never served chez moi. My pets would often have liver and other offal though.*

However, Techy likes it so I plan to lob him a liver and bacon casserole in the week. Or liver and bacon with onion gravy, served with mash and greens.

*It made the dogs fart stinkily. One night it was so bad I dreamed I was drowning in an open sewer.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Can I introduce you to my younger son? He's very similar without the benefit of liver. I swear cornflakes have the same effect on him. ;)
My younger son was famous for stinky farts as a kid. He hasn't done badly in life, with a PhD in particle physics!

uair01

Justified & Ancient