• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Is your Great Leader shaped like a cauliflower?

Actually, I really enjoy broccoli and cauliflower, but I don't cook either of them often because of how they make my kitchen (and the rest of the place) smell.

The vitamins, fibre and high water content are a plus, the jury is out on the wet farts.
Obviously too much beer and not enough fiber in your usual diet. :sstorm:

My best friend was from Australia. He absolutely hated the song “Down under” by Men at work. I would sometimes wind him up by playing it or sending him a link to it and I’d be greeted by a sting of expletives that always made me chuckle. Sadly he died a year ago. It was unexpected and sudden and I do miss the old sod.
I was doing some housework and listening to a random 80s playlist. Down under started playing and about ten seconds into the song there was a loud crash from inside one of my kitchen cupboards. When I checked I found that a couple of plates that had been stacked up had seemingly jumped from one shelf and landed balanced on their side on the shelf below. It’s more than likely that I stacked them wonky. But I like to think it’s my friend telling me to turn “that ******* song off ya ****!!”

Last edited:
I add paprika in place of the mustard. Raw broccoli offcuts are divine, the cooked stuff less so.

Sitting reading a book just now. It's stormy and the dog was upstairs barking at stuff outside - he gets on the bedroom windowsill and probably saw things blowing across the garden. But it went on long enough to distract me seriously from my book so I looked up and was going to shout at him. Only to see him sat by the fire at my feet. o_O

Sitting reading a book just now. It's stormy and the dog was upstairs barking at stuff outside - he gets on the bedroom windowsill and probably saw things blowing across the garden. But it went on long enough to distract me seriously from my book so I looked up and was going to shout at him. Only to see him sat by the fire at my feet. o_O
Cwn Annwn maybe?

So clearly he didn't hear the barking or he'd but up the stairs like a flash, yes?

A similar thing happened to me in the old house I lived in. Our cat had a habit of sleeping on top of one of the wardrobes in the bedroom above the living room. He would jump down from the wardrobe, making a distinctive banging noise. On more than one occasion, when I was alone in the house, I would hear that noise, and then seconds later realise the cat was actually asleep on the sofa. The door to the living room was closed fully, so there was no way the cat had snuck downstairs and into the living room without me noticing.

A similar thing happened to me in the old house I lived in. Our cat had a habit of sleeping on top of one of the wardrobes in the bedroom above the living room. He would jump down from the wardrobe, making a distinctive banging noise. On more than one occasion, when I was alone in the house, I would hear that noise, and then seconds later realise the cat was actually asleep on the sofa. The door to the living room was closed fully, so there was no way the cat had snuck downstairs and into the living room without me noticing.

Don't forget cats can teleport.

A minor strangeness from last night.

I was watching the news, my wife was next door watching a different program. The partition door is only glass so I am hearing both channels, but only listening to my tv.

I am plagued with a tinnitus problem, and occasionally this presents itself by a sudden high pitched tone that quickly fades away.

This happened, but what surprised me was that for a brief period, probably about three seconds, I had another voice in my left ear.

It definitely wasn't from either tv and faded with the tone. First time I've heard it.

A minor strangeness from last night.

I was watching the news, my wife was next door watching a different program. The partition door is only glass so I am hearing both channels, but only listening to my tv.

I am plagued with a tinnitus problem, and occasionally this presents itself by a sudden high pitched tone that quickly fades away.

This happened, but what surprised me was that for a brief period, probably about three seconds, I had another voice in my left ear.

It definitely wasn't from either tv and faded with the tone. First time I've heard it.

What did the voice say?

Another one to add to this thread.
I gave my Mum a lift to the dentist today. We were chatting about random stuff and the subject somehow turned to Roman roads and I mentioned the Fosse way.
My Mother: “That’s where me and your Dad saw the highwayman”
Me: “Erm, what??”

She then told me all about it. It would have been about 1973/74. Just before my parents married and I decided to enter the world. My father was supplementing his income by running a mobile disco and my Mum would sometimes accompany him. This particular night they were returning late from a booking, with my parents in a van and a couple of my parents friends in a car behind them. They were travelling on a stretch of the Fosse way just outside of Leicester. She said that driving along the headlights suddenly shone on a figure that stepped out of the trees at the side of the road. It was a man dressed in what seemed like black vintage garb. A frock coat and tricorne hat, just like a highwayman costume from the movies (think James Mason in The Wicked lady) Both my parents saw him clearly, and apparently so did the friends who were travelling in the car behind my parents. They were all quite spooked.
I wonder if there is some other fellow out there with an amusing anecdote about the time in the seventies when he attended a costume party as a Highwayman and then had to walk all the way home in costume because he’d had no luck thumbing a lift home after it finished

Last edited:
And re the Fosse Way – we live on it. The site of the original Roman road actually goes straight through our garden and house - one side of our garden is much higher than the other (makes it hard work to manage) and that is the bank that formed the side of the road. In the field above our garden it's even more visible. I found this out by accident while looking up the history of my area; oddly, though not coincidentally, our street name is the only one of that name in the country.

No highwaymen, no Romans, no pottery, no hoard of treasure. Only an unbalanced garden...

Another one to add to this thread.
I gave my Mum a lift to the dentist today. We were chatting about random stuff and the subject somehow turned to Roman roads and I mentioned the Fosse way.
My Mother: “That’s where me and your Dad saw the highway man”
Me: “Erm, what??”

She then told me all about it. It would have been about 1973/74. Just before my parents married and I decided to enter the world. My father was supplementing his income running a mobile disco and my Mum would sometimes accompany him. This particular night they were returning late from a booking, with my parents in a van and a couple of my parents friends in a car behind them. They were travelling on a stretch of the Fosse way just outside of Leicester. She said that driving along the headlights suddenly shone on a figure that stepped out of the trees at the side of the road. It was a man dressed in what seemed like black vintage garb. A frock coat and tricorne hat, just like a highwayman costume from the movies (think James Mason in The Wicked lady) Both my parents saw him clearly, and apparently so did the friends who were travelling in the car behind my parents. They were all quite spooked.
I wonder if there is some other fellow out there with an amusing anecdote about the time in the seventies when he attended a costume party as a Highway man and then had to walk all the way home in costume because he’d had no luck thumbing a lift home after it finished
[/QUOT

Last edited:
And re the Fosse Way – we live on it. The site of the original Roman road actually goes straight through our garden and house - one side of our garden is much higher than the other (makes it hard work to manage) and that is the bank that formed the side of the road. In the field above our garden it's even more visible. I found this out by accident while looking up the history of my area; oddly, though not coincidentally, our street name is the only one in the country.

No highwaymen, no Romans, no pottery, no hoard of treasure. Only an unbalanced garden...
No Romans marching through the house? Awww.

No Romans marching through the house? Awww.
That has triggered a vague memory of reading an account of someone in modern day times seeing a marching legion of Roman soldiers. I’m sure there was something in the article about them looking like their lower legs were sunken into the ground, like they were a playback of a recording of soldiers who were on ground that was originally lower. I think I’m going to have to do some googling

That has triggered a vague memory of reading an account of someone in modern day times seeing a marching legion of Roman soldiers. I’m sure there was something in the article about them looking like their lower legs were sunken into the ground, like they were a playback of a recording of soldiers who were on ground that was originally lower. I think I’m going to have to do some googling
York.

And re the Fosse Way – we live on it. The site of the original Roman road actually goes straight through our garden and house - one side of our garden is much higher than the other (makes it hard work to manage) and that is the bank that formed the side of the road. In the field above our garden it's even more visible. I found this out by accident while looking up the history of my area; oddly, though not coincidentally, our street name is the only one of that name in the country.

This is so cool. I wish I lived next door.

Minor Strangeness, hot off the presses, and somewhat of a classic, too.

Staying at my brother's house, again. Had a less-than-ideal night and feeling sluggish, so after feeding the cats and the fish, and putting recycling out, I return to bed. My father was due to arrive mid-to-late morning to collect something, so I had a couple of hours.

Slip into a messy state of half-waking, half-sleeping, with numerous fragments of dreams, to the point it all seems to muddle together. It ends pretty abruptly when I hear my father calling my name. Jerk out of bed, rush downstairs, but no-one to be seen. Confused, but assuming I dreamt it, I discover it's now late morning, so get dressed, and go to collect the recycling boxes I can see have been emptied.

It will likely come as a surprise to none of you that Dad chose that moment to drive up. I've read many accounts of similar experiences, but never thought I'd have one myself. Coincidence, or precognition? You decide.

Back