• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Minor Strangeness, hot off the presses, and somewhat of a classic, too.

Staying at my brother's house, again. Had a less-than-ideal night and feeling sluggish, so after feeding the cats and the fish, and putting recycling out, I return to bed. My father was due to arrive mid-to-late morning to collect something, so I had a couple of hours.

Slip into a messy state of half-waking, half-sleeping, with numerous fragments of dreams, to the point it all seems to muddle together. It ends pretty abruptly when I hear my father calling my name. Jerk out of bed, rush downstairs, but no-one to be seen. Confused, but assuming I dreamt it, I discover it's now late morning, so get dressed, and go to collect the recycling boxes I can see have been emptied.

It will likely come as a surprise to none of you that Dad chose that moment to drive up. I've read many accounts of similar experiences, but never thought I'd have one myself. Coincidence, or precognition? You decide.

This is quite common wanderingfox. It’s happened to me several times. I put it down to the alertness of the mind, or perhaps a form of body clock.

Last November I took a day off work, simply to give me a break, and looked forward to a good lie in.

Unfortunately the wife’s alarm woke me at 6am, so I got up and made her breakfast, then went back upstairs and went back to bed.

Around 09.45 I was woken by a text from my eldest Daughter, to say that she would be home from collage earlier than expected, but didn’t have a key, so could I make sure I would be awake / at home for around 12pm - I read the text and went back to sleep.

I was then woken at 11.40 by my Daughter knocking on the front door and shouting “Dad” through the letterbox, I go downstairs, open the front door to no-one.

I decide to make some tea, switch the kettle on, but before the kettle had time to boil, the doorbell goes, I open the door, and who’s standing on the doorstep………..the postman.!!!!……:D……no of course not, it was my daughter.

As I said, body clock I reckon

This is quite common wanderingfox. It’s happened to me several times. I put it down to the alertness of the mind, or perhaps a form of body clock.

Last November I took a day off work, simply to give me a break, and looked forward to a good lie in.

Unfortunately the wife’s alarm woke me at 6am, so I got up and made her breakfast, then went back upstairs and went back to bed.

Around 09.45 I was woken by a text from my eldest Daughter, to say that she would be home from collage earlier than expected, but didn’t have a key, so could I make sure I would be awake / at home for around 12pm - I read the text and went back to sleep.

I was then woken at 11.40 by my Daughter knocking on the front door and shouting “Dad” through the letterbox, I go downstairs, open the front door to no-one.

I decide to make some tea, switch the kettle on, but before the kettle had time to boil, the doorbell goes, I open the door, and who’s standing on the doorstep………..the postman.!!!!……:D……no of course not, it was my daughter.

As I said, body clock I reckon

It's as good an explanation as any; either that or we're more aware of our world, even when sleeping, than we consciously realise.

This is the Vardøgr phenomenon :) I've not experienced it but I have hopes!

That's right! Thank you. :) Knew it was a common, even 'classic' experience, but couldn't put a name to it. Still a tad zombified, I fear. :p

Personally, I found it a bit freaky, yet oddly amusing, not least in how precisely it/I anticipated Dad's arrival, given the breadth of the window.

It's as good an explanation as any; either that or we're more aware of our world, even when sleeping, than we consciously realise.

That's right! Thank you. :) Knew it was a common, even 'classic' experience, but couldn't put a name to it. Still a tad zombified, I fear. :p

Personally, I found it a bit freaky, yet oddly amusing, not least in how precisely it/I anticipated Dad's arrival, given the breadth of the window.

We have threads on the vardøger!

Very common in Norway. The word "vardøger" is Norwegian. Most people in Norway has experienced "sound vardøgers", "person vardøgers" are not common at all.
I looked for sites that provided audio clips of how it should be pronounced.
The Norwegian ones sound like 'Var-duh-gid', which is nothing like how it looks.
Other ones sound like 'Var-duh-ger', which also seems wrong.
All these years, I've thought it was 'Var-doer-ger'.

The Norwegian ones sound like 'Var-duh-gid', which is nothing like how it looks.

As far as I understand it, its a sort of a "euhw" sound in the middle (hard to describe written down though). I'm saying it out loud right now (much to Mr Zebra's amusement)... I pronounce it by sort of saying a 'u' sound (sort of) but with lips pursed.

I would say the whole word as 'vardeuhwge'.

Of course I could be pronouncing it completely wrong :D

I've always thought it was like 'Var-dogger'. :rollingw:

Too much beer? .. sorry, you've lost me? ..
I'm sorry, I can't really explain this associative madness of my brain without getting more disgusting than the post you're responding to, Swifty, so I'll refrain. Don't know what got into me, I wasn't even tipsy.

That has triggered a vague memory of reading an account of someone in modern day times seeing a marching legion of Roman soldiers. I’m sure there was something in the article about them looking like their lower legs were sunken into the ground, like they were a playback of a recording of soldiers who were on ground that was originally lower.

Also found along Watling Street (Paranormal Database Buckinghamshire)

Roman Soldiers
na.gif

Location: Milton Keynes - Watling Street / London Road, Stony Stratford
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1980s
Further Comments: Roman soldiers were said to march along this street, their legs partly covered by the tarmac as if following the height of the old Roman road.

We have accounts of ghosts walking through walls where there were once doorways, and we have some ghosts that seem to be walking on a road that has long since been buried (see above).

Any ghosts in mid-air where there used to be a bridge or second floor of a building?

We have accounts of ghosts walking through walls where there were once doorways, and we have some ghosts that seem to be walking on a road that has long since been buried (see above).

Any ghosts in mid-air where there used to be a bridge or second floor of a building?

Great question ... Off hand I don't recall any stories of ghosts "suspended" where there were once elevated paths or passages.

I suppose a similar scenario would be one in which there were ghosts in mid-air where a building or structure once stood before collapsing off a slope or cliff (e.g., in a landslide).

I have a few packets of dried food in my bedroom and lounge, placed into carrier bags.
Rice and pasta and lentils.
Bought from corner shops when the supermarkets ran out two weeks ago or so.
The ones in my bedroom are for me, the ones in my lounge are for other family members.

Yesterday morning at around 8am, the carrier bags in my room started rustling.
I thought perhaps the one on top was sliding onto the carpet.
But the sound became quite pronounced, and I got it into my head that a mouse or rat had gone inside to gnaw at the food.
I really believed I could hear that happening.
I was at a bit of a loss at what to do.
I sprayed surgical spirit into the bag and the noise stopped.
I walked into the lounge and exactly the same noise was happening with the bags in there.
I thought that the mouse or rat might have run into them...but how could I miss it?
I also sprayed surgical spirit into the bags.
Then went back to bed.

Tonight I examined them, and there was no sign of rodent activity.
No bite or gnaw marks, no droppings.

My guess is that at that time, the room temperature was rising as the sun shone in after a cold night, and it caused the products in the bags to expand and shift the bags.

or...I stopped the rodent just in time!

I have now placed the majority of the food into a plastic box.

Back