Minor Strangeness

severs1966

open-minded empiricist
Reaction score
You wandered downstairs at Emley Moor? The verb hardly seems to do the endeavour justice...
View attachment 22114
I don't actually work up the top of the tower. It's not normally manned at all unless a fault condition summons a field engineer or rigger up the lift.

I work in the main building in the compound at the bottom of the tower. It is only two stories high but that's enough for a set of stairs. The national TV transmission control room is upstairs.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
@AgProv your two pics of different Sides of the building do look like the lighting changed. If you look at the first, the sky is a bright blue and the second pic, rhe sky seems to show as grey. I too wondered if the lighting did affect something.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
A rock has appeared in my front garden.

The garden is chippings (I know, horrible, but I can't do anything about it at present) with a membrane underneath to stop weeds. The chippings are all grey and evenly sized. Yesterday I noticed a rock about half the size of my fist had appeared among them. Not in the middle or where anyone could have thrown it to clear a path - it's up near the house, right by the cat's bowl.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

The garden is chippings (I know, horrible, but I can't do anything about it at present) with a membrane underneath to stop weeds. The chippings are all grey and evenly sized. Yesterday I noticed a rock about half the size of my fist had appeared among them. Not in the middle or where anyone could have thrown it to clear a path - it's up near the house, right by the cat's bowl.
Someone doesn’t like cats?

maximus otter

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Re-upping this old post because this happened again tonight, except this time, instead of a gunshot, it was a very loud popping sound, much like someone stomping on a Capri Sun pouch. Again, we all thought it had come from a different direction. We went around checking for anything thing that might have fallen or burst (like a lightbulb) and checked the electrical boxes in case anything seemed awry, but found nothing.

To add to the weirdness, the only person who didn't hear it tonight was my husband, who was asleep at the time. He was woken by all the kerfuffle in the house, though, so I asked if he'd heard the noise. He said no, but he'd heard it last night (Thursday). This was news to me, so I questioned him. He'd been out on the front porch when he'd heard the pop from inside. He'd gone in and asked the boys what it was, and they'd said they hadn't heard anything. He must have failed to mention it to me, as I'd been here and heard nothing then either.

I sent OH back to bed and asked the kids about what their dad had reported the night before. They all said that they can't recall either a noise or their dad asking them about it on Thursday night!

I'll quiz him again when he wakes up. In the meantime I'll be keeping an ear our for any further strangeness.
It wasn't a lemonade or other fizzy drink bottle, was it?

I have a bottle of lemonade in the kitchen, open and half used and sort of 'squeezed' in the middle. It expanded last night (or contracted, not sure) and the plastic let out the loudest 'crack' noise. Luckily I was in the room and worked out what it was, if I'd been elsewhere in the house I would have heard a loud 'bang' and not had the faintest idea where it came from!

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Ha, that's freaky! I have seen some dogs that like to carry rocks around for some reason. Even to the point of cutting their mouths. Perhaps foxes do the same? Or you could have had a dog come into your garden. Wet the rock then feel it. If it is slimey, that is probably saliva. Eww.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
My front garden is enclosed, so unlikely to be a wandering dog, and a fox wouldn't last two minutes outside my house without my own dog raising the roof. I'll try to get a picture later.

Am just hoping that it's not something that's fallen off the house itself, although it doesn't look as though it has. It's just a rock. Bigger than the chippings, smaller than...well...a bigger rock.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
My front garden is enclosed, so unlikely to be a wandering dog, and a fox wouldn't last two minutes outside my house without my own dog raising the roof. I'll try to get a picture later.

Am just hoping that it's not something that's fallen off the house itself, although it doesn't look as though it has. It's just a rock. Bigger than the chippings, smaller than...well...a bigger rock.
My garage has a large flat roof and when I first moved in, I noticed that large stones kept appearing on the roof. Took me a while to realise that large birds were dropping them. I have seen magpies using stones to break open the shells of snails, but I wonder whether birds do mistake stones for something edible and just drop them when they realise they are inedible.
Last year I found a rusty, earth covered exhaust U clamp next to my back door. I thought someone had tried to use it to smash a window to break in, but it was amongst what was clearly nesting material and I assume that a bird had dug it up mistaking it for a worm. Annoyingly it had been dropped from some height and when I checked it had dented the rear wing of my car. Stupid bird.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just for fun, to demonstrate how weird night sounds can be.

As an experiment I laid my recorder on the balcony during the night. I was curious if I could "hear" more because of the silence of the lockdown. It's a 1,5 Gb MP3 file so I'm still discovering how to analyze it. These are four sounds edited from 15 minutes in the most silent part of the night. I have no idea what they are.

I suspect the fourth sound, a click, might just be a recording glitch or an error on the SD card.

I find the first sound most interesting. Is it a dog? But would a dog bark just once and then stay silent for 15 minutes?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dick Turpin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Just for fun, to demonstrate how weird night sounds can be.

As an experiment I laid my recorder on the balcony during the night. I was curious if I could "hear" more because of the silence of the lockdown. It's a 1,5 Gb MP3 file so I'm still discovering how to analyze it. These are four sounds edited from 15 minutes in the most silent part of the night. I have no idea what they are.

I suspect the fourth sound, a click, might just be a recording glitch or an error on the SD card.

I find the first sound most interesting. Is it a dog? But would a dog bark just once and then stay silent for 15 minutes?
Perhaps the first noise, and what you think may be a dog barking, is a 12 year old girl from Enfield trying to say Maurice. :D

Reactions: Ger

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
If it's late at night and my dog barks, she will only bark once because I am busy 'sssshhhhing' her. I don't want the neighbours complaining!

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Thanks Uair01! The birds in the second clip were lovely!
Do you know what the metallic sounds were in the last part of the clip?

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
During the week I was woken up about 1.00 am by a loud shrieking noise coming from inside the house. So loud and weird that the old ticker was pounding. Ran downstairs and found our little cat jumping down from the window cill. What she had seen or heard I don't know, probably another cat, but I've never heard her make such a noise before. Could have been an urban fox I suppose. Only did it once and she was clearly unconcerned afterwards. Just weird, and exacerbated by the otherwise total silence at night during the current situation.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Possums can sound like a person screaming. The first time I heard that in my backyard in the middle of the night, I didn’t know what was happening. But since I could see there was no one in my yard, I eventually figured it out.

@uair01 the first recording that you ask if it’s a dog bark, I hear it as a more metallic sound such as a chair scraping a floor. It could be my tablet speakers than might make it sound like that.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
Possums can sound like a person screaming. The first time I heard that in my backyard in the middle of the night, I didn’t know what was happening. But since I could see there was no one in my yard, I eventually figured it out.

@uair01 the first recording that you ask if it’s a dog bark, I hear it as a more metallic sound such as a chair scraping a floor. It could be my tablet speakers than might make it sound like that.
Possums - horrible creatures and that weird coughing growling gives fornicating foxes a run for their money.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Are you sure it was from inside the house? Foxes make some horrific noises:

maximus otter
Yep positive it was inside the house. Could only have been the cat, presumably the noise being seemingly amplified by the total silence outside.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Last week I became Facebook friends with the actress Kristen Stewart (Twilight) for a little over 24 hours.
As anyone who has Facebook knows, on occasions it suggests possible people for you to be friends with.
Reading through some posts last week, some suggested 'friends' were offered to me, and amongst the usual friends of friends and relatives was for some reason, Ms Kristen Stewart.
I looked at her page and it was the actress herself, not a fan page, nor someone with the same name.
I thought ''What the hell'' and clicked the friend request button.
To my surprise, the next morning she had accepted me as a friend and so I spent the next 10 minutes looking through her recent birthday pictures with her girlfriend, also the actress Emma Roberts and some guy.
The next day she'd obviously realized the error of her ways and unfriended me.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
Last week I became Facebook friends with the actress Kristen Stewart (Twilight) for a little over 24 hours.
As anyone who has Facebook knows, on occasions it suggests possible people for you to be friends with.
Reading through some posts last week, some suggested 'friends' were offered to me, and amongst the usual friends of friends and relatives was for some reason, Ms Kristen Stewart.
I looked at her page and it was the actress herself, not a fan page, nor someone with the same name.
To my surprise, the next morning she had accepted me as a friend and so I spent the next 10 minutes looking through her recent birthday pictures with her girlfriend, also the actress Emma Roberts and some guy.
Well you are quite famous even if you've avoided the press in the last 4 decades.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
That's what I find weird about FaceTwitGram. Don't participate myself. Unbeknown to her Ms PeteS someone got her registered on Facebook although she never used it. One suggested friend she got was my son. Just weird.

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
I've had a look at Facebook, Twitter, and almost thought of joining. Common sense took over and I'ts more fun just poking blunt needles into my eyes.:eek:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Celebrities have more than one of each type of account (FB, Twitter etc) so they can have a private personal one for family and close friends and one run by their publicity people or agents. Maybe someone mixed them up?

Dick Turpin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
This should probably go onto the strange people thread, but I thought I’d stick it here, as I has this strange experience about 20 minutes ago.

Each morning, (pre virus days) I’d drive through a small village on my way to the train station, and its typically what people think a little English village to be - 14 century church, village green, charming thatched roof village pub etc.

Every house in the village is well kept, with immaculate lawns and white picket fences, apart from one which is an absolute eyesore. It doesn’t even look as if the house is habitable, no access can be gained to the front door, as weeds have grown so wild that it prevents it, but someone does live there, as through the cracked and murky windows I’ve sometimes seen movement within - and there is a rusty old red car that sits on the drive.

In the years since I’ve been doing the commute to the station, I’ve often wondered what sort of person would / could live in a house like that, especially in such a pretty village, and I always imagined him or her to be a very elderly person, a bit of a hoarder with neither friends nor family, and too proud to either accept help or go into a home.

Well today I found out.

A little while ago I walked to the local COOP, and to get to there I have to pass a second hand shop, and parked right up outside was the same rusty old red car that is parked on the driveway of the dilapidated house.

I stood in the shop doorway and looked in, and saw the owner of the shop talking to a man who was obviously the owner of the red car. So I entered the shop and pretended to poke around the items for sale, so I could get a better look at this man, and was surprised to see a tall youngish clean shaven chap, who was very well dressed and spoke with a quite a posh accent.

He struck a deal with the owner, over something or other, walked out, got in his rusty red car and drove off. I asked the shop owner if he did a lot of business with the man, and he said he was quite a regular customer of his, but unfortunately he has issues. He told me that he has delivered items to his house over the years and the house is in such a state of disrepair and full of junk.

The poor chap has obviously got something wrong with him, but still, its cleared up something that I’d been wondering about these past 13 years

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Celebrities have more than one of each type of account (FB, Twitter etc) so they can have a private personal one for family and close friends and one run by their publicity people or agents. Maybe someone mixed them up?
This is likely what happened. Oddly enough, a similar thing happened years ago with James Blunt. At one point, I only had 6 Facebook friends, my wife, my oldest son, three close friends and James Blunt. James & I were friends for around two years until his page changed status into what it is today.