Minor Strangeness

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I was just watching something on Netflix. For a split second I thought about pausing it but then decided against it. At that moment the funny spinning red circle thing appeared on the screen and it paused by itself. I definitely hadn’t touched the remote and I had to click on resume to continue watching!
That's the new Netflix Psychic app.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Reaction score
I was just watching something on Netflix. For a split second I thought about pausing it but then decided against it. At that moment the funny spinning red circle thing appeared on the screen and it paused by itself. I definitely hadn’t touched the remote and I had to click on resume to continue watching!
in the last year or so, the internet and radio have begun to seemingly read my mind to the point where it's almost absurd. If I were typing things in or even speaking things aloud, I could see where this was coming from, but as it is, it's just puzzling.

Just for example, I had bought a corset from a street vendor (with cash, no credit cards card or anything like that) and one night while I was alone and bored, decided I ought to practice wearing it. After strapping myself in (no easy task, I might add) I went back to business as usual. Suddenly, I began to see ads for corsets popping up online, which freaked me out a bit.

i hadn't done a search for corsets, or looked at them online. My webcam is covered up and the mic shut off, so even if I'd cursed the corset out loud (which I hadn't, even if I'd been tempted) it shouldn't have heard me. And yet now, for the first time ever, I was being inundated with corset ads.

I was left with the impression that somehow the internet knew all about my undergarments and frankly, I didn't appreciate it one bit.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Suddenly, I began to see ads for corsets popping up online...

I was left with the impression that somehow the internet knew all about my undergarments and frankly, I didn't appreciate it one bit.
Do any male persons have access to the same computer? Perhaps someone else’s search history may be influencing the selection of ads you are seeing...

:sneaky2:

maximus otter

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
in the last year or so, the internet and radio have begun to seemingly read my mind to the point where it's almost absurd. If I were typing things in or even speaking things aloud, I could see where this was coming from, but as it is, it's just puzzling.

Just for example, I had bought a corset from a street vendor (with cash, no credit cards card or anything like that) and one night while I was alone and bored, decided I ought to practice wearing it. After strapping myself in (no easy task, I might add) I went back to business as usual. Suddenly, I began to see ads for corsets popping up online, which freaked me out a bit.

i hadn't done a search for corsets, or looked at them online. My webcam is covered up and the mic shut off, so even if I'd cursed the corset out loud (which I hadn't, even if I'd been tempted) it shouldn't have heard me. And yet now, for the first time ever, I was being inundated with corset ads.

You've not been telling Alexa and her siblings about your undergarments have you?
Seriously it is disconcerting isn't it? Normally I wouldn't have anything to do with FaceTwitGram, but recently saw the name of an old friend on a public hobby facebook page and wanted to contact him, so signed up pro tem under an assumed name (naughty). First on the list of proposed "friends" was a close friend of mine- I do share a hobby with him but not the one the facebook page is about , and I have never contacted him on the interweb. Don't like it at all.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Reaction score
Yes, it's enough to make you feel like paranoia is a sign of sanity, which is a dangerous place to go.
That's a good way of putting it.

Too often, I find myself wondering what I've done that allowed the algorithms to predict my behavior and too often can't figure it out. Used to be, these things were fairly crude - I look up diets online and the next thing I know twitter is throwing random posts with the word "fat" at me - but over the last year they appear to have become more subtle (or dare I say, insidious?)

Sgt Girth

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
This world needs more corset wearers....and fishnets. Or is it just me that thinks this way?

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
I thought it was just me getting this internet reading your mind thing. I'm well used to the targeted ads/articles popping up based on my searches and hobby interests etc. But it is so very disconcerting when something you've only been thinking about pops up!

Maybe some of the time I'm only thinking about it a I'd unconsciously noticed it already? Then I'm thinking 'bloody hell have I no personal thoughts in my head? .... I'm being subliminally controlled!'

I decided to imagine a statistician coming up with the arguement that it was, after all, not that much of a coincidence. You know, along the lines of it not being that surprising that in a relatively small gathering of people there will be someone sharing your birthday. Not entirely convinced myself on that one but nevertheless I use it to keep at bay my nascent paranoia!

Of course now I'm writing this I can't recall a specific example as it's rarely about anything that's terribly important!

Sollywos x

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I like to play online freecell solitaire and I've noticed lately that the ads that come with it are from the same companies that send me emails because I've bought something from them at some time ( not online).

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I play them at their own game. I deliberately do searches for things I have absolutely no interest in buying, randomly, almost daily, just to mess with their algorithms, and it works. Double Decker buses, Motorboats, Chain Mail replicas, surfboard wax, microlights, a job lot of 1000 rucksacks, handbrake cable for a Ford Cortina.....anything that comes to mind....it soon makes the targeted advertising go all out of whack, I can tell ya.

Sgt Girth

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Me and my good lady wife have Alexa in the bedroom (!!) You’d imagine that there’d be some interesting targeted advertising coming my way but, no! I must be a boring bugger in the sack......Not even an advert for snoring remedies!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I thought it was just me getting this internet reading your mind thing. I'm well used to the targeted ads/articles popping up based on my searches and hobby interests etc. But it is so very disconcerting when something you've only been thinking about pops up!

Maybe some of the time I'm only thinking about it a I'd unconsciously noticed it already? Then I'm thinking 'bloody hell have I no personal thoughts in my head? .... I'm being subliminally controlled!'

I decided to imagine a statistician coming up with the arguement that it was, after all, not that much of a coincidence. You know, along the lines of it not being that surprising that in a relatively small gathering of people there will be someone sharing your birthday. Not entirely convinced myself on that one but nevertheless I use it to keep at bay my nascent paranoia!

Of course now I'm writing this I can't recall a specific example as it's rarely about anything that's terribly important!

Sollywos x
I tried talking enthusiastically about tripe around our phones and mentioning it frequently on Facebook in the hope of invoking some interesting offal-themed advertising. Failed dismally.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
I play them at their own game. I deliberately do searches for things I have absolutely no interest in buying, randomly, almost daily, just to mess with their algorithms, and it works. Double Decker buses, Motorboats, Chain Mail replicas, surfboard wax, microlights, a job lot of 1000 rucksacks, handbrake cable for a Ford Cortina.....anything that comes to mind....it soon makes the targeted advertising go all out of whack, I can tell ya.
That'll teach 'em to be smart.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

I've been getting this too, well, I have for a long while to an extent, but during the lockdown it's been getting a bit ridiculous. Not for online ads, but mentions of stuff I've been thinking about cropping up soon after in articles (no, not on women's underwear). Seems I just have to be reminded of some bit of trivia or "whatever happened to?" and it will have been mentioned on the TV, radio or 'net.

I'm thinking you start to get attuned to these things, and find patterns, so your mind begins to expect it and when they do appear, you chalk it up to those weird coincidences.

Sgt Girth

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
I am but a mere keen observer of such items of clothing rather than a purchaser!

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
I've been getting this too, well, I have for a long while to an extent, but during the lockdown it's been getting a bit ridiculous. Not for online ads, but mentions of stuff I've been thinking about cropping up soon after in articles (no, not on women's underwear). Seems I just have to be reminded of some bit of trivia or "whatever happened to?" and it will have been mentioned on the TV, radio or 'net.

I'm thinking you start to get attuned to these things, and find patterns, so your mind begins to expect it and when they do appear, you chalk it up to those weird coincidences.
One very easy measure to get rid of ads is to install AD Block plus. It's free, instant, and takes a few seconds. I've used this laptop for about 12 months and it has blocked 330,000 ads. Some sites eg online newspapers try to install 50 ads per page, which takes forever. Blocks YouTube ads as well.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
One very easy measure to get rid of ads is to install AD Block plus. It's free, instant, and takes a few seconds. I've used this laptop for about 12 months and it has blocked 330,000 ads. Some sites eg online newspapers try to install 50 ads per page, which takes forever. Blocks YouTube ads as well.
The trouble with this some sites restrict your ability to see the page if you have ADBLOCK enabled.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
The trouble with this some sites restrict your ability to see the page if you have ADBLOCK enabled.
Yes, but you can choose to allow ads on a site you particularly want to see. I've found that if I'm blocked due to AD blocker, it's usually a site I've only a passing interest in anyway.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
One of my neighbours came knocking on my door one day to ask if I'd heard anything in the night. She'd had a large statue stolen from her garden in the middle of the night. The garden isn't visible from the road nor easy to access, so how they a) knew it was there and b) got it out from a garden that's really only accessible through the house I have no idea. And without heavy lifting equipment (or I would have heard it and the dogs would have kicked up an enormous fuss). We are a tiny and quite isolated village and not on any through roads to anywhere.

I guess you can't underestimate the lifting power of a scallywag!

Reaction score
One of my neighbours came knocking on my door one day to ask if I'd heard anything in the night. She'd had a large statue stolen from her garden in the middle of the night. The garden isn't visible from the road nor easy to access, so how they a) knew it was there and b) got it out from a garden that's really only accessible through the house I have no idea. And without heavy lifting equipment (or I would have heard it and the dogs would have kicked up an enormous fuss). We are a tiny and quite isolated village and not on any through roads to anywhere.

How large are we talking? And made of stone I presume?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

If it was made of metal, I have some suspects...

maximus otter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

How bizarre! I'm wondering if the statue actually went missing some time before, say when she was away and another neighbour's fence was being replaced...

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Stone, slightly larger than human sized. And heavy.

I, too, would have suspected a neighbour. But she was very attached to said statue, and therefore I think would have noticed an earlier exit.

We still have no idea how they did it! I suspect that someone who did work on the house at some point saw it and sussed it out. Either that or it's an inside job...