• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Same thing hapened to me! I hadn't seen a buzzard about for a while, although everyone else in the village seemed to have had them practically falling out of the sky onto their heads. Went out for an early run and there was an entire family of them climbing the thermals above our hill..

I can do a kind of 'squeaky whistle' which seems to call them in. I'd been wandering the local lanes 'squeaky whistling' in search of buzzards, but none had come. I'd been beginning to despair. But maybe they were just waiting for better weather.
I love watching them happily gliding on thermals. Lovely wingspans. Possibly endearing ugly faces.

I love watching them happily gliding on thermals. Lovely wingspans. Possibly endearing ugly faces.

I don't find them ugly...I always think they look a bit stupid though. Wonder why? Kestrels and sparrowhawks look 'focussed'. Buzzards always look as if they are wondering if they left the gas on.

I once went to a triathlon with a buzzard in my kit bag!

We were driving to the Salisbury triathlon when we saw an injured adult buzzard by the side of the road in Warminster, so we picked it up (naming him Bertie) and put it in the bag. When we got to Salisbury I competed in the triathlon and my wife got in touch with the RSPCA – this was in pre-mobile phone days so this was sorted on the sports centre pay phone. My wife ended up taking it to a bird rescue centre but we got a call at home later that day to say that she (now called Bessie) had to be put down; we'd hoped it was just an injured wing but there were internal injuries too. They are very handsome birds though I see what Catseye means about the 'left the gas on' expression.

I used to see peregrine falcons in Bristol and they looked much sharper; I once saw a pigeon taken out in flight. I don't know their status at the moment as they'd nested on the Finzel's Reach building for years but it's now being redeveloped.

I think I'm being followed.........:eek:
red4mod.jpg
satkite1.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Epping Forest: had to look it up. Found an informational booklet published by the Royal Geographical Society in 2014.
"Discovering Britain: The stories of our landscapes through historical walks"
https://www.discoveringbritain.org/...lk booklets/Epping Forest - written guide.pdf

Every great city needs a space like this, accessible by public transit, and where people can go for miles and miles breathing good air and resting their bodies from the clutter of human busy-ness. The trees of an ancient forest are free to live full lives. No wonder it feels liminal.
If I ever get to London, I want to go to Epping Forest.

I boarded a train to see a beautiful 40's something woman possibly Greek no one else in the carriage as it was the last train - sleeping. She woke up at the next stop, got off the train then looked at me and started smiling and waving as if she knew me. I actually didn't get any funny vibe from it. I was still on the train.

I'm guessing:

A) She thought I was staring and she was a bit pissed as there was a tiny amount of stale alcohol when she got up and thought I was a creepy arsehole and she was being sarcastic. (I didn't stare at her).

B) This was my wife Hera in a former life and I now realize how we Olympians have fallen.

I'm going for "B".

Last edited:
Epping Forest, which has always seemed like a liminal area to me,

I have a bit of a messy memory at the best of times but I recall that Epping Forest was used by many East End gangsters to, er, hide stuff.
(Proceeds from robberies, 'hot' cars, dead bodies etc etc)
Also, of course, immortalised in the Genesis track 'The Battle of Epping Forest' on the 1973 album Selling England By The Pound (an excellent album BTW).

As I'm not all that far from Epping Forest I really should head down there at some point for a wander.

I have a bit of a messy memory at the best of times but I recall that Epping Forest was used by many East End gangsters to, er, hide stuff.
(Proceeds from robberies, 'hot' cars, dead bodies etc etc)
Also, of course, immortalised in the Genesis track 'The Battle of Epping Forest' on the 1973 album Selling England By The Pound (an excellent album BTW).

As I'm not all that far from Epping Forest I really should head down there at some point for a wander.

My ex's family lived on the same street as the Krays in the 1950s. Ex knew Epping Forest very well.

Epping Forest also had Dick Turpin connections didn't it? So it's criminal pedigree is impressive.

I've had a word in my head for a couple of days and a minor strange feeling it's relevance with become apparent fairly soon.
Vinegar Tom (as in the illustration of Matthew Hopkins inqisition of witches's familiars). Don't know where I picked it up from but thought I'd mention it in case it rings a bell with anyone else.
Vinegar Tom.jpg

I've had a word in my head for a couple of days and a minor strange feeling it's relevance with become apparent fairly soon.
Vinegar Tom (as in the illustration of Matthew Hopkins inqisition of witches's familiars). Don't know where I picked it up from but thought I'd mention it in case it rings a bell with anyone else.

Did you know he was a familiar before the name popped in your head?

I just found something glinting on the floor on the landing outside my bathroom. Turned out to be the small blue washer from my Braun electric toothbrush which fits between the rotary brush head & the main body gubbins.

The only time I take the head part off is when I change it, which I haven't for several months, otherwise I just rinse it under the tap after use. It'd either been there since last time I changed it or..

I just found something glinting on the floor on the landing outside my bathroom. Turned out to be the small blue washer from my Braun electric toothbrush which fits between the rotary brush head & the main body gubbins.

The only time I take the head part off is when I change it, which I haven't for several months, otherwise I just rinse it under the tap after use. It'd either been there since last time I changed it or..
The cat's been cleaning its teeth?

I have 5,706 tracks on my itunes. Music includes classical, jazz, pop, folk, blues, world/roots, dance/house etc

Most mornings I will listen to my music, on shuffle, as I do the Guardian quick crossword.

The other day, as I was writing the answer 'right on' or 'go for it' (can't quite remember) the exact same phrase was being sung (by Robbie Williams as it happens)

Oh, and on @Trevp666's suggestion I have done a searches for sprocket, weevil and perineum. Looking forward to see what comes back.

Oh, and on @Trevp666's suggestion I have done a searches for sprocket, weevil and perineum. Looking forward to see what comes back.

Allow me to clarify that for people lest it makes me sound odder than I already am.
I expect you're referring to my previous post about getting 'targeted' ads which appear to be based on things you have searched for in t'interweb.

I play them at their own game. I deliberately do searches for things I have absolutely no interest in buying, randomly, almost daily, just to mess with their algorithms, and it works. Double Decker buses, Motorboats, Chain Mail replicas, surfboard wax, microlights, a job lot of 1000 rucksacks, handbrake cable for a Ford Cortina.....anything that comes to mind....it soon makes the targeted advertising go all out of whack, I can tell ya.

Indeed I would also be interested to see what ads you start getting.

I expect you're referring to my previous post about getting 'targeted' ads which appear to be based on things you have searched for in t'interweb

Indeed, I apologise if I made you sound odder than you actually are. It was stupid and thoughtless of me. You, of course, are able to do that all by yourself :wink2:

I have 5,706 tracks on my itunes. Music includes classical, jazz, pop, folk, blues, world/roots, dance/house etc

Most mornings I will listen to my music, on shuffle, as I do the Guardian quick crossword.

The other day, as I was writing the answer 'right on' or 'go for it' (can't quite remember) the exact same phrase was being sung (by Robbie Williams as it happens)

I tried searching for the term 'black pudding' but had no ads about it. They knew I was joking.

If I didn't have an ad-blocker, I shudder to think of the ads I'd be seeing, given the hugely eclectic, and often out there range of things my writing has compelled me to research over the years. Or maybe they took one look and thought, "nope, nope, nope..." :p

Today I bought a few books of postage stamps from the supermarket.
For non-UK readers, they were books of six stamps each, which are small shiny paper cards, one fold, sealed with a small amount of adhesive, with the stamps inside.

1406241646111_Large_Preview_galleryImage_A_BOOK_OF_SIX_FIRST_CLASS.jpg

Just after I bought them, I remembered previously having previously bought stamps and when I got home, one of the books had four or five stamps in it, not six.
Someone had opened the book, taken them for personal use, then resealed the book with a bit of glue or saliva and sold them for the price as if the book contained six stamps.

This time I was still inside the supermarket, so I checked them, and in the fourth of the four books I bought, there were only five stamps.

The supermarket changed this book for a new one containing six stamps.

In future I will check them at the till when I buy them, or buy from the post office where they can be bought in an adhesive backed sheet, and hence counted as purchased.

Back