• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Secret lodger in the attic.

Or it’s ghosts.
My attic is a bedroom, plus I've got the killer terrier who wouldn't let anyone into the house without bits of them being all over the carpet. Jury's out on the ghosts!

tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick..

1611706785639.png

I was just watching a short clip on YouTube of a child playing with fourteen German shepherds in a field. The child was grabbing bunches of,what looked like lavender and tossing them in the air for the dogs to catch. Then suddenly,for about two seconds I got a strong smell of lavender which just stopped as quick as it started.
I realise it’s the brain playing tricks but I’ve never had it before.

I was just watching a short clip on YouTube of a child playing with fourteen German shepherds in a field. The child was grabbing bunches of,what looked like lavender and tossing them in the air for the dogs to catch. Then suddenly,for about two seconds I got a strong smell of lavender which just stopped as quick as it started.

Have to admit, I thought that video was going to end badly. o_O

Synaesthesia, that's what it is.

Actually,ignore that. I’ve just noticed my wife has put a new lemon lavender smelly thing in the bedroom

Watch this 'pylon skipping' film and then try to tell me that you couldn't hear it thumping the ground with each jump!

You do hear about people being attacked by apparently placid pet dogs when they are excited, especially children.
We have a thread on dog attacks.
It tends to be because children squeal when they get excited. My friend's (adult) ASD son squeals when he sees a dog, because he's afraid of them. His squealing sends the dog into an absolute frenzy and it's a self perpetuating loop. Oddly enough he's fine with my awful dog, despite the fact that she barks her head off at him because, according to him 'she's small and she can't hurt me.' I am not about to point out the million ways in which she could hurt him...

I've been living in my flat for years, with nothing particular to note. I am lucky enough to work very close to home, so I can pop home for lunch. A few months ago, I went home for lunch and my wife commented that she had heard me come in through the front door and thought "Simon's home early, I wonder what is wrong?" and walked through to find there was no-one there, and no-one in the outer hall, and the neighbours were out. A few days later the same thing happened again. Then, a week or two later, I was home alone in the evening and I heard the front door, complete with rattle of keys, and was sure my wife had come back. I went to check, and no-one was there, and no-one in the hall (inside or out). The sound hasn't happened again. As with all minor strangeness, interesting but utterly pointless.

Worth pointing out we live in an old house divided into four flats, and are quite used to identifying sounds as particular neighbours, we're upstairs, so would hear the neighbour in the next door flat coming upstairs first. Speaking for the time I heard the noise, it absolutely sounded as if someone had come into the little hallway inside the flat, a couple of yards from where I was sat reading.

These sound very much like vardøger experiences, particularly the ones where your wife thought you had arrived early. If you search this site for that term you should see plenty of similar accounts. I am fascinated with such events though I have only experienced a handful of those kind of experiences, and far apart in time. They're really interesting to me partly because a lot of people seem to experience at least one such event over a lifetime, but also they are a really classic kind of everyday strangeness.

Actually was there not on UK telly a good few years ago an experiment to establish whether certain images or colours could induce a type of smell. Sorry don't remember the details.

Actually was there not on UK telly a good few years ago an experiment to establish whether certain images or colours could induce a type of smell. Sorry don't remember the details.
That’s not a programme I’m familiar with.

Actually,ignore that. I’ve just noticed my wife has put a new lemon lavender smelly thing in the bedroom

What you should've done was hold on 10 minutes until you'd heard about the installation of the lavender thing and then post your synaesthesia incident in the Coincidences thread.

Job's a good'un. ;)

Watch this 'pylon skipping' film and then try to tell me that you couldn't hear it thumping the ground with each jump!

When I first saw this a year or two back I could hear it but I've watched it several times both last night and again just now and I'll be bu88ered if I can hear it this time :(

However just lately I've suddenly started hearing a 'wow' whenever I click that particular icon on fb posts.

I thought at first it was a new feature and clicked the angry icon on another post (there are plenty to choose from) curious to see what sound would attach to that .... but nope still silent. Tried the laughing one (took longer to find an appropriate one) ... not that either. So just the 'wow'. I suppose it's because it is annimated but all the same it was a bit disconcerting to hear an actual 'wow' !

Sollywos x

So just the 'wow'. I suppose it's because it is animated but all the same it was a bit disconcerting to hear an actual 'wow' !
It's animated? Not on my computer it's not. Poo. :comphit:

Are we supposed to guess the tune?

I can't hear anything but I still knew exactly what it was!
I don't hear it as a sound blocking out other sounds but when I look at it there is, for want of a better description, a vibration in my head. It matches the timing of the animation and also the expected sound from the hit and clap in terms of frequency. I know I am not really hearing a sound but it is so strnong when Iook at the image. Similarly the elctric pylons gives me a low, reverberating thud.

And as for when I can see both at the same time! Actually if I am looking equally at both then there is no sound but glancing at one rather than the other, even though I can still see the other in my field of vision, means I get the appropriate sound back.

Back