• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The kitchen's at it again.

To set the scene, there is an area of wall behind the old Rayburn, which we began removing old tiles from before Christmas and which consequently is in a half-finished state (we're not quick at doing things here!) So there are patches of plaster, tile adhesive, what-have-you.

Yesterday evening we were making tea and I turned around from what I was doing just in time to see some of the tile/plaster (not sure which, it happened too fast) flying off the wall and onto the floor, at an arc which went roughly one foot out from the wall. :wide: Mr Zebra, with his back to the action, turned around upon hearing the noise of the tile/plaster hitting the floor, and both dogs barked as well. I explained what I saw, we both just stood there in disbelief.

Now, there's probably an explanation to do with heat, or moisture, or something along those lines. But, just the way it came out from the wall as it fell, gave me the definite impression that it had been pushed from behind, even though that isn't possible. There was a force to it. I've seen tiles and bits of plaster fall off a wall before (in fact it happened while we were de-tiling that very wall). But they always fell more-or-less straight down.

Secondly, this morning we were in the dining-room-makeshift-office working, both dogs with us (to preclude it being either of them as the culprits) when we heard a bang from the kitchen. Mr Zebra went to look, and found an empty plastic milk bottle on the floor in front of the recycling bin. Now, granted the bin was quite full, but this bottle had been sitting there for several hours. Again, probably a mundane explanation (perhaps it was moving slightly for some time and finally gave way), but...

... why the heck is our kitchen such a hotbed of weird stuff??

Now, there's probably an explanation to do with heat, or moisture, or something along those lines. But, just the way it came out from the wall as it fell, gave me the definite impression that it had been pushed from behind, even though that isn't possible. There was a force to it. I've seen tiles and bits of plaster fall off a wall before (in fact it happened while we were de-tiling that very wall). But they always fell more-or-less straight down.
Is that wall damp? It could be that particular type of plaster that reacts to moisture.
The plaster here at my place suddenly cracks off if it gets even slightly damp.
Mind you, it doesn't jump off the wall. That's strange.

I totally hear it along with this one
tenor.gif

“When you’re angry and you know it clap your hands” Yes?

Is that wall damp? It could be that particular type of plaster that reacts to moisture.
The plaster here at my place suddenly cracks off if it gets even slightly damp.
Mind you, it doesn't jump off the wall. That's strange.

Hmmm... I know what you mean about plaster cracking with damp/moisture. That's the sort of thing that might explain it (if it weren't for how it launched off the wall!) but when we were taking the tiles off there was no signs of moisture.

The plaster in question is the stuff with hairs in, if it makes a difference. Horsehair or something, I think. It is crumbly in places (tis very old) but equally in other places the tile adhesive on top wouldn't come off for love nor money when we were removing the tiles, so it isn't unstable (or we didn't think so, anyway!)

There probably (must be?) a logical, mundane explanation, but I just can't think of one. Not with the movement I saw.

Hmmm... I know what you mean about plaster cracking with damp/moisture. That's the sort of thing that might explain it (if it weren't for how it launched off the wall!) but when we were taking the tiles off there was no signs of moisture. ...

There are two points in your description that might be clues ...

Removing the tiles changed the extent to which the underlying plaster would be exposed to heat.

The difficulty in removing the tiles might mean you inadvertently weakened or stressed the plaster when pulling the tiles away.

SZ, regarding your kitchen tile incident, I agree that the logical explanations offered earlier are likely. It has been remarked, however, that renovations and changes often precede reports of poltergeist-type activity.

Of course, it is to be expected that altering any space will also alter the acoustics and having moved things out of the way makes them more likely to be in less stable configurations which goes a long way to explaining new and unexpected bangs and crashes. However I recall you and your partner also seeing things in this same space recently, did that begin after the work to alter the kitchen began?

What was there before the house?
I'm thinking of South Park.

Kyle: Dude, why is your store called The Indian Burial Ground Pet Store?
Shop Owner: Well, there was an Indian burial ground here before I bought it.
Stan: So you just built your store on top of Indian burial ground?!
Shop Owner: Oh, hell no! First, I dug up all the bodies, pissed on 'em, and then buried them again upside-down.
Kyle: Why?
Shop Owner: Why? I don't know. I was drunk.

There are two points in your description that might be clues ...

Removing the tiles changed the extent to which the underlying plaster would be exposed to heat.

The difficulty in removing the tiles might mean you inadvertently weakened or stressed the plaster when pulling the tiles away.
That sort of thing would be plausible and I'm sure the explanation is something like that, I still can't get my head around how it seemed to leap so far off the wall. It's been several weeks since we removed the tiles, odd that they would only start coming off now?

SZ, regarding your kitchen tile incident, I agree that the logical explanations offered earlier are likely. It has been remarked, however, that renovations and changes often precede reports of poltergeist-type activity.

Of course, it is to be expected that altering any space will also alter the acoustics and having moved things out of the way makes them more likely to be in less stable configurations which goes a long way to explaining new and unexpected bangs and crashes. However I recall you and your partner also seeing things in this same space recently, did that begin after the work to alter the kitchen began?
We've been 'doing up' the house for the few years we've lived in it, but thinking particularly of the kitchen, yeah, the oddness has all happened since we started doing anything in that room.

What was there before the house?
I'm thinking of South Park.

Kyle: Dude, why is your store called The Indian Burial Ground Pet Store?
Shop Owner: Well, there was an Indian burial ground here before I bought it.
Stan: So you just built your store on top of Indian burial ground?!
Shop Owner: Oh, hell no! First, I dug up all the bodies, pissed on 'em, and then buried them again upside-down.
Kyle: Why?
Shop Owner: Why? I don't know. I was drunk.
The house was built circa 1890. Before that, was another smaller house on the plot, right up against the road (so approx. where our front garden is). I think it was just land where our actual house is now, but the kitchen in question is in a sort of extension at the back and we believe it was outbuildings/storage before being incorporated as part of the house.

My mantelpiece is cluttered with ornaments, shop receipts, postcards, candlesticks, photos, you name it.

There is a model anatomical skeleton about 2' high which has necklaces and bracelets dangling from it. Last night I noticed that instead of looking out over the room it is now turned towards the side and facing my end of the sofa.

Not only that, a photo of a dear late relation has left the nail where it has been situated for several years and is now standing on the mantelpiece leaning against the wall.

What does this mean? o_O

(I know - it means nothing.)

This is an odd one.

Back in October I posted about a Victorian brick built railway bridge, and the now disused Colne Valley railway line that once ran underneath it.

Well today I was on my usual lunchtime walk, and while crossing the bridge thought I could hear voices coming from underneath , so I stood very still and despite the birds twittering away in the trees, I could definitely hear muffled tones.

I leaned over one side of the bridge and saw nothing out of place, so crossed and looked over the other side, and apart from a huge pile of empty beer cans (I lost count at 40) I couldn’t see anyone but could still hear the voices.

Why would anybody be underneath the bridge, and how would they get down there in the first place??. The banking is very steep, (perhaps 30 feet) and there is thick bramble that would prevent anyone getting down there, and this time of year it is dangerously muddy.

And what’s with the unnaturally large amount of beer cans...? I’m wondering if someone has set up camp and living underneath the old bridge…

I didn’t take my phone out with me today, but tomorrow I will, and see if I can take some snaps.

This is an odd one.

Back in October I posted about a Victorian brick built railway bridge, and the now disused Colne Valley railway line that once ran underneath it.

Well today I was on my usual lunchtime walk, and while crossing the bridge thought I could hear voices coming from underneath , so I stood very still and despite the birds twittering away in the trees, I could definitely hear muffled tones.

I leaned over one side of the bridge and saw nothing out of place, so crossed and looked over the other side, and apart from a huge pile of empty beer cans (I lost count at 40) I couldn’t see anyone but could still hear the voices.

Why would anybody be underneath the bridge, and how would they get down there in the first place??. The banking is very steep, (perhaps 30 feet) and there is thick bramble that would prevent anyone getting down there, and this time of year it is dangerously muddy.

And what’s with the unnaturally large amount of beer cans...? I’m wondering if someone has set up camp and living underneath the old bridge…

I didn’t take my phone out with me today, but tomorrow I will, and see if I can take some snaps.
I would say your guess is correct, there is most likely a way of accessing the old line somewhere nearby, and somebody has set up a 'home' beneath the bridge.

I think the disused Colne Valley Line is a popular walking track though so I expect that there is every chance that you could have just heard some ramblers/walkers taking a rest under the bridge (it would be drier) and the beer cans are probably there cos someone walking across the bridge always drinks a can of beer on his way home and this is the point of his journey at which he discards the can by chucking it over the side of the bridge.

I think the disused Colne Valley Line is a popular walking track though so I expect that there is every chance that you could have just heard some ramblers/walkers taking a rest under the bridge (it would be drier) and the beer cans are probably there cos someone walking across the bridge always drinks a can of beer on his way home and this is the point of his journey at which he discards the can by chucking it over the side of the bridge.

You are probably right Trev, although I walk the Colne Valley footpaths often, and the way markers (I think their called that) have never directed me onto the old railway tracks itself.

And as for the beer cans – I could imagine someone chucking the odd beer can from a passing car over the bridge, but there is at least 60-70 beer cans down there, and what’s more they look fresh i.e. not weathered / rusted.

I’ll take a few snaps tomorrow (weather permitting)

And as for the beer cans – I could imagine someone chucking the odd beer can from a passing car over the bridge, but there is at least 60-70 beer cans down there, and what’s more they look fresh i.e. not weathered / rusted.

Could've been dumped by someone who wanted to cover up the amount they were drinking at home.

That’s True Dave.

In fact, last week I noticed Mrs Turpin walking in the general direction of the bridge, carrying 3 sack loads of bin bags over her shoulder.

Alternatively, your bridge could just be a place where kids (possibly the local branch of Mensa) meet for a chat and a drink, sheltered from the elements.

Fortnight ago I was parked up in Aylesbury having a socially-distanced bacon butty with my brother, when I noticed an orange glow at the base of a pole on a nearby rooftop. The glow then became red after 10 secs or so and started travelling up the pole. Once it reached the top, the whole pole was illuminated and started oscillating in red, yellow and orange, before the glow slowly descended down the pole and disappeared. The cycle then repeated itself several times, each taking about a minute. I initially assume the pole must have artificial lighting, but my brother couldn't see what I was looking at from his seat, so he concluded it was probably sun related. I took a photo but didn't expect to capture anything at that distance.

Spire_0190a.jpg Spire_0190B.jpg

I was back in the car-park today so took a closer look. The 'pole' is actually a gap in several sheets of thick safety glass and the glow must have come from sunlight refracted by the exposed panel edge. Still can't get my head around the regularity of the light-show though.

Bacon butty? Definition, please!

3854036.jpg

AKA “The Food of the Gods”. Eat with brown sauce.

Contamination of such a divine artefact with - *shudder* - tomato sauce invites eternal damnation. Or a posting to Hull, which amounts to the same thing.

maximus otter
Don't listen to the Ketchup Denier ! @IbisNibs
As previously mentioned, the contents of a buttie is hot enough to melt the butter.

... Eat with brown sauce....

How decadent. And your picture has the added improvement of being slightly toasted (the sandwich, not the picture).
I know I'm going to be castigated as some sort of monster but I like my bacon rolls to include some sliced hard-boiled egg, a sprinkle of sea-salt, and some mayo.

I
How decadent. And your picture has the added improvement of being slightly toasted (the sandwich, not the picture).
I know I'm going to be castigated as some sort of monster but I like my bacon rolls to include some sliced hard-boiled egg, a sprinkle of sea-salt, and some mayo.
Much perfer my bacon butties in a non toasted state, i also like a breakfast bab from my local snack wagon, comprising of bacon, sausage, mushrooms and a fried egg :p

Today, when I went downstairs to make my cup of tea, that cupboard door was open again. Definitely wedged shut last time I closed it (which was when I wrote about it mysteriously opening last time). This morning - wide open.

And Zebs, the recycling thing - two nights ago dog and I were cuddled up on the sofa when we heard the most unholy row from the kitchen. Dog barked, growled and then hid under her blanket. I went and investigated, and the full recycling bag had fallen over, spilling tins and bottles over the floor. It had just chosen that moment when nobody had been anywhere near for about an hour, to go.

Contamination of such a divine artefact with - *shudder* - tomato sauce invites eternal damnation. Or a posting to Hull, which amounts to the same thing.
What about mint sauce? I've had that on a bacon sandwich a few times. Decadence.

Back