Minor Strangeness

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Why are they an exception? You can't eat them from the tin, or they're not cooked (I was sure they were)?

I'm immensely curious now!
This thread has moved quickly while I've been busy doing other things.
Who'd have thought that tinned food would get such an amount of coverage.
But yes, as others have said, fruits are generally pasteurised in batches before being tinned, and that's why the inside of fruit tins have that sort-of-orange-colour plastic coating on the inside, to prevent a reaction from the acidic fruit with the bare metal surface.
As I recall I saw a programme once which went into detail (Possibly a 'how its made' type of thing) and there were a few exceptions.
'Fruit Cocktail' I believe is canned before being cooked in steam cooker.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It is, of course, just too small to be of any real use. It's about a foot long (can't do centimetres, sorry) and an inch and a half wide. On close investigation the top is 'finished' and slightly polished and the underneath is just plain pine plank. I just checked with the drawers that are down here, and the wood doesn't fit anywhere about them, it's too short to be part of their construction. It's more the fact that it fell onto the floor and I know not where from!
So it's already nicely finished on one side? Get the hooks in. :chuckle:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Im not going to ask what you were doing on a Spanish Naval ship :p
It's a wooden training ship for naval cadets or whoever. Escette and I visited it in Barcelona a few years ago and I described it on'ere afterwards.

We had several digital cameras and phones between us to take photos with but they all failed, only to work normally when we left. The place was absolutely empty and spotless. I felt something land on my shoulder and heard the button bounce onto the floor.

I picked it up and still have it somewhere.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I used to have a special shelf for all the random little 'things' that I found that had no proper explanation for being where they were.

Since I moved I haven't had a place to put them. But now the actual 'shelf' is the random little thing that has no proper explanation!

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I used to have a special shelf for all the random little 'things' that I found that had no proper explanation for being where they were.

Since I moved I haven't had a place to put them. But now the actual 'shelf' is the random little thing that has no proper explanation!
In which case it's a sign. Get yourself a couple of brackets and make the random shelf from the random wood!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
The minor strangeness is SOLVED!

I was tidying up the piles of clothing to be put away, when I happened to look UP. My ceiling is beamed and boarded between the beams. It seems that one of the boards has, somehow, come loose and fallen down. That is where my mysterious board came from.
How and why it came loose and fell down, is a completely different mystery....
IMG_1840.jpg

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The minor strangeness is SOLVED!

I was tidying up the piles of clothing to be put away, when I happened to look UP. My ceiling is beamed and boarded between the beams. It seems that one of the boards has, somehow, come loose and fallen down. That is where my mysterious board came from.
How and why it came loose and fell down, is a completely different mystery....View attachment 35606
If something falls down its always a good idea to look up :p

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well I would have done, but I didn't know it had fallen down. As far as I was concerned it had just 'arrived'.
Thats fair ill give you that :)

At least youre not being assailed by ghostly carpenters :p

Last edited by a moderator:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Indeed. I speak as a one-time dog food pie chef.
Not proud of it*, but he deserved every mouthful, as did his murderous friend with whom he shared it.

*Yes I am.
Heh! They didn't notice? Was the meat element exclusively dog food or just a bit mixed with other more regular meat? And was one of them actually a murderer?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
What sort of self-respecting dog would abandon a bonio?
An old dog might! Our own mutt used to love them and other crunchy things. As she aged, she would daintily remove all the rusks from her bowl and eat only the soft things.

When she showed signs of toothache, she was taken to the vet, who thought she might not survive the anaesthetic necessary to descale her teeth, at her advanced age. It did not spoil her quality of life, entirely, as she lived to eat and went on eating for a few years after. :)

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One of my friends rang to tell me that her friend,whom I also know had been taken to hospital after suffering a seizure.
She does have various cancers and looked awful when I saw her last week and we doubt she will survive.
I said to my friend, who had had various happenings to do with lost friends that if she comes to visit she will know that she is gone.
Then she said she was in her spare room wrapping a baby jacket she had knitted when she heard a woman's voice behind her. She had spun around as her husband was outside and of course there was noone there.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Had a weird email today saying I can apply for a personal donation.
I know it's a scam email but it's from a Charles Jones @ Herefordshire.gov.uk

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
How and why it came loose and fell down, is a completely different mystery...
Expansion of the wooden beams that it was resting across due to the increase in temp in the house? (I'm guessing it wasn't nailed/screwed into place)

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Expansion of the wooden beams that it was resting across due to the increase in temp in the house? (I'm guessing it wasn't nailed/screwed into place)
I don't know, I have to get up and investigate when I put it back. I did have the window open for much of yesterday, so that is probably the most logical reason. It's a removable board, because all the electrical cables that go up into the rooms upstairs are behind it, so probably it's just loose and resting across the beams.

solsticebelle

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I had a Minor Strangeness last night. Very minor and probably a misperception so don't hold your breath.

I'd woken up at three a m for a wee, gone down and let the dog out. Went back to bed and I think I'd fallen asleep again, judging by where my audio book was when I woke again, putting the time somewhere around four a m, when the dog started barking downstairs. She very very VERY rarely barks at night, so it woke me up. She quietened down quite quickly, and I started to go back to sleep again but was finding it a bit difficult as one does when suddenly woken. Then I could hear a sound. It was like the quiet sound of people talking far away, but in the house. I turned off my audio book to have a proper listen and it just sounded like two voices having a conversation but in very very low tones.

The thing is, this house is so small that anyone talking anywhere in it, just sounds like people talking. And you can't hear ANYTHING from next door, walls two feet thick, I often have to look out to see if their car is there to tell if they are home. But it definitely sounded like a low rumble of conversation.

Bearing in mind all my recent dreams about burglars, and people in the house, I went downstairs again, where it was silent. Fetched the dog up to spend the rest of the night in bed with me (she's the only thing I've got worth stealing!)

I did wonder if it was the fridge motor,, but I've never heard that before from up here, and it definitely had changes in tone and pitch, like voices. But it was around four a m so not a likely time for there to be anyone around conversing. And there was nobody outside, besides my bedroom window is open and I'd hear them as voices, not a rumble.

A strangeness!
That is strange, but I discovered several years ago that sound can travel in strange ways. I also live in a very small house with houses attached on either side, but I’d lived here for many years without ever once hearing my neighbors talking. Then very early one morning I heard muffled voices coming from the house on my right and it kept happening. Since my neighbor lives alone I asked him if he’d mind moving his TV away from our shared wall since I could hear it at night, only for him to tell me his only TV was downstairs.

So, we tested it by him turning the volume up and down with me informing him whether I could hear it or not until we reached a satisfactory solution. It was really strange because I can’t even hear my own downstairs TV when I’m upstairs and it’s not as if he has a hearing problem and had his volume turned up high. But we’d been (equally quiet) neighbors for over 10 years before this happened.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
So, we tested it by him turning the volume up and down with me informing him whether I could hear it or not until we reached a satisfactory solution. It was really strange because I can’t even hear my own downstairs TV when I’m upstairs and it’s not as if he has a hearing problem and had his volume turned up high. But we’d been (equally quiet) neighbors for over 10 years before this happened.
Is there a chimney between the two of you by any chance? The sound might be travelling up the lum if his TV was next to where the fireplace used to be.