Minor Strangeness

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
When Techy gets up early for a wet shave and I'm in bed, I can hear him swishing the razor in the basin. It sounds as if it's next to my ear'ole. :chuckle:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
That is strange, but I discovered several years ago that sound can travel in strange ways. I also live in a very small house with houses attached on either side, but I’d lived here for many years without ever once hearing my neighbors talking. Then very early one morning I heard muffled voices coming from the house on my right and it kept happening. Since my neighbor lives alone I asked him if he’d mind moving his TV away from our shared wall since I could hear it at night, only for him to tell me his only TV was downstairs.

So, we tested it by him turning the volume up and down with me informing him whether I could hear it or not until we reached a satisfactory solution. It was really strange because I can’t even hear my own downstairs TV when I’m upstairs and it’s not as if he has a hearing problem and had his volume turned up high. But we’d been (equally quiet) neighbors for over 10 years before this happened.
Had he had any pipes removed/changed/lagged or unlagged? I know sometimes sound can travel up pipes. In my old (enormous) house, the TV was downstairs in a corner of the living room but you could hear it as clearly as if it were in front of you if you sat on the loo in the little upstairs bathroom., because behind the TV was a cupboard that contained all the water pipes.

I'm still not sure what my voices were. I've not heard them again since, my next door neighbours don't get up until six and their TV is quite a long way from the connecting wall, over the other side of their living room. They are 'music' people, not Radio 4 people, so I've ruled out radio and this sounded more like two men having a sotto voce discussion about something, when they are a man and a woman.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Now, I know Phil the Greek is in the hospital, and he's 99, so even sitting too close to an open window can be lethal at that age, but I'm sure he is receiving expert medical care.

But the thing that is troubling me is this - I'm absolutely certain that a short while before I went to bed last night, maybe around 1130, I was clicking through the channels and when I got to the BBC News channel, the female newscaster (who I couldn't really say seemed too familiar - one of those ones that 'usually works on Christmas day when no one else will' types) sombrely reported "Prince Phillip has passed away after a short illness, at the age of 99".
"Oh" I thought, "still he was 99, so I kind of thought he was going to cark it!".
And yet, no mention of it today. So I'm guessing he's still with us.
But also no mention of him now on the BBC news website, unless you dig around a bit, and the most recent item from yesterday about Charlie visiting him.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Now, I know Phil the Greek is in the hospital, and he's 99, so even sitting too close to an open window can be lethal at that age, but I'm sure he is receiving expert medical care.

But the thing that is troubling me is this - I'm absolutely certain that a short while before I went to bed last night, maybe around 1130, I was clicking through the channels and when I got to the BBC News channel, the female newscaster (who I couldn't really say seemed too familiar - one of those ones that 'usually works on Christmas day when no one else will' types) sombrely reported "Prince Phillip has passed away after a short illness, at the age of 99".
"Oh" I thought, "still he was 99, so I kind of thought he was going to cark it!".
But also no mention of him now on the BBC news website, unless you dig around a bit, and the most recent item from yesterday about Charlie visiting him.
Definately nothing on tje news or interweb about it, although they seem to be prepared.
From google:
Once it comes to laying his body to rest, his body will be buried in the grounds of Windsor Castle in Frogmore Gardens. This is a very personal place for the Queen and Prince Philip as it's closed off to the public and is often where she walks her dogs.3 days ago

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Was that TV or radio? We need to track it down. :chuckle:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Maybe the timeline of this reality changed.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Was that TV or radio? We need to track it down. :chuckle:
On the tellybox.
Unless they've managed to make a big flat, square radio with moving pictures on it, I mean, it is an alternate reality after all.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
On the tellybox.
Unless they've managed to make a big flat, square radio with moving pictures on it, I mean, it is an alternate reality after all.
I can scroll through radio stations on my TV.

Trevp666

Reaction score
So can I.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(Is it just me or is scargs unusually pendantic currently?)

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So can I.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(Is it just me or is scargs unusually pendantic currently?)
Show offs!

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
They now have chocolate eggs with "pretzel flavored" filling in the supermarket. I have no idea what that means.

Wikipedia:
Salt is the most common seasoning for pretzels, complementing the washing soda or lye treatment that gives pretzels their traditional skin and flavor acquired through the Maillard reaction.

View attachment 35687
You've been able to get pretzel M&Ms for a while, described as:

M&M's Pretzel Candy is crunchy, salty, sweet. Pretzel chocolate flavour sweets in a crisp coloured shell.

Screenshot_20210221-193858.png

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I suppose it's like salted caramel.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
What does salted camel taste like?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My mom made some milloinare shortbread with salted caramel, it was very nice, the salt takes the sicklyness away from the caramel slightly. She was given a box of catering size bags of salted caramel (10 x 1kg bags) by her friend who works for Sainsburys in the bakery, which has now stopped making cakes and pastries on site.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
My mom made some milloinare shortbread with salted caramel, it was very nice, the salt takes the sicklyness away from the caramel slightly. She was given a box of catering size bags of salted caramel (10 x 1kg bags) by her friend who works for Sainsburys in the bakery, which has now stopped making cakes and pastries on site.
Oh, caramel! I misread it as camel...

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Reaction score
It's really nice; it's not very salty, just a bit of a tang that cuts through the sweetness, like Souleater says :)

Well worth trying, there's so much salted caramel stuff around, it's been trendy for a good few years now, I'm a bit surprised you've not tried it in anything!

Edit; Oh, I thought that was a typo :lolling:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Oh, caramel! I misread it as camel...
Id imagine salted camel tastes a bit like salted alpaca, which i ate when i was in Peru, it is very nice indeed, tatses like fillet steak, also ate guinea pig which wasnt very pleasent, tasted like greasy chicken, a friend of mine lives in Somalia and they regularly have camel stew.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Id imagine salted camel tastes a bit like salted alpaca, which i ate when i was in Peru, it is very nice indeed, tatses like fillet steak, also ate guinea pig which wasnt very pleasent, tasted like greasy chicken, a friend of mine lives in Somalia and they regularly have camel stew.
The guinea pig is just run over by a steam roller and then deep fried. At least that’s what it looked like when I was in Ecuador.