Minor Strangeness

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Spot: Boston Dynamics condemns robot paintball rampage plan

A US art installation that will let people control a paintballing robot in a mock art gallery has been condemned by the firm that made the robo-dog.

Boston Dynamics criticised the project, calling it a "provocative use" of its quadruped robot, Spot

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56182268

packshaud

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Buttergate: Why are Canadians complaining about hard butter?

Something is amiss with Canadian butter, according to local foodies, who have been arguing for weeks that their blocks are harder to spread than usual.

These so-called "buttergate" anecdotes have been spreading online, with many Canadians complaining that their butter does not soften at room temperature.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56175784
This is most likely real. Formulations for several industrialized foods are changing: less sugar, less salt, fats that melt at higher temperatures.
Here is a paper on fat mixes for ice creams:
Effect of different sweetener blends and fat types on ice cream properties
https://www.scielo.br/pdf/cta/v31n1/33.pdf

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Daft Punk announce split after 28 years

The video announcing their split was based on an excerpt from their 2006 film Electroma.

As one of the robot bodies disintegrated, a caption appeared stating "1993 - 2021". The clip closed with one of the musicians walking into the sunset, accompanied by the song Touch, including the choral refrain: " Hold on. If love is the answer you're home ."

I found the video quite moving, reminiscent of Roy Battys (Rutger Hauer) death in Blade Runner
Maybe they'll come back 'one more time'.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
And there was me thinking that the only mean thing snails did was eat my lettuces and I can forgive them for that and even reward them with a little holiday over the back fence ......... mmmm gonna have to rethink my entire world view now!

Maybe I will have to start killing them after all!! :pitch:

Sollywos x
A little out of sequence, but relevant:
Snail rampage from the NYer.jpg

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Possibly Bugmum is Zsa Zsa Gabor, masquerading as an FT forum member..................

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It's like if I began a sentence One of my husbands' greatest strokes of luck was...*
As I have been married twice this is grammatically correct.

* It obviously ends meeting me. Also correct.

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score
Hi All –

Somewhere on the forum I read an account of someone waking up and seeing an irregular charcoal colored blob in her bedroom, which emanated an orange light. This weird thing persisted for several minutes. I thought that this was probably a dream, BUT last night it happened to me! And, I realized it had happened before.

For years, I have had dry eye in my left eye, after cataract surgery. When I sleep on my left side, sometimes this eye is slightly compressed by the pillow. When I open it, in the dark at night, I see an irregular charcoal colored oval blob which emanates an orange light. This lasts a few moments (what a long time) and then fades away. When I put in eye drops right when I wake up, it fades really fast. It is, overall, an intermittent occurrence.

I wish I could find the original posting, but my search skills are unequal to this task. EG, where art thou? The bat signal is in the sky. (Also, if possible, please move this post to where it belongs. ta.)

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Hi All –

Somewhere on the forum I read an account of someone waking up and seeing an irregular charcoal colored blob in her bedroom, which emanated an orange light. This weird thing persisted for several minutes. I thought that this was probably a dream, BUT last night it happened to me! And, I realized it had happened before.

For years, I have had dry eye in my left eye, after cataract surgery. When I sleep on my left side, sometimes this eye is slightly compressed by the pillow. When I open it, in the dark at night, I see an irregular charcoal colored oval blob which emanates an orange light. This lasts a few moments (what a long time) and then fades away. When I put in eye drops right when I wake up, it fades really fast. It is, overall, an intermittent occurrence.

I wish I could find the original posting, but my search skills are unequal to this task. EG, where art thou? The bat signal is in the sky. (Also, if possible, please move this post to where it belongs. ta.)
Hi there, Its probably in this thread,

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/black-swirling-mass.66878/#post-1930005

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Hi All –

A poster on'ere recently mentioned 'seeing' smoke in the left of their field of vision. This too turned out to be a cataract!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... Somewhere on the forum I read an account of someone waking up and seeing an irregular charcoal colored blob in her bedroom, which emanated an orange light. ...

I'm pretty sure you're referring to an incident reported by former member Ormus back in 2009:

Thread: The Scariest Fortean Thing Ever To Happen To You

See these posts and related responses:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...thing-ever-to-happen-to-you.38959/post-911212
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...thing-ever-to-happen-to-you.38959/post-911956

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
That sounds like a compression of the optic nerve. I get this if I rub my eyes too hard.

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score
Souleater - I'll have to read through. thanks.
Escargot - Yep. I think mine was a physical reaction and not supernatural.
EnolaGaia - yes, I think that is it! thank you.
Mythopoeika - I agree. It is a very weird thing to wake up to.

another post coming.

Last edited:

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
That's because Bugmum is your name! :evil:

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Dunno, but I do know that because camels don't have fully split hooves, they're not kosher. Nor is camel milk (really expensive on Amazon).
That explains the look of disgust on an acquaintance's face when he told me this story. He was in the Israeli army during the six day war. At one point he and his comrades were enjoying a delicious meal at a restaurant in a captured territory when he made the mistake of asking "what kind of meat is this?" It was camel.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Mr Potato Head to lose "Mr" title in gender-neutral rebrand

A gender-neutral makeover will see Mr Potato Head become the toy formerly known as Mr Potato Head.

The classic toy's branding is being "reimagined for the modern consumer", its US maker Hasbro announced on Thursday.

From later this year, the toy - launched almost 70 years ago - will be named Potato Head on packaging.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56200811

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
North Korea: Russian diplomats leave by hand-pushed trolley

A group of Russian diplomats and their families made an unusual exit out of North Korea on a hand-pushed rail trolley due to strict Covid measures.

The eight people travelled by train and bus before pushing themselves across the Russian border for about 1km (0.6miles) over train tracks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56206033

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score

A gender-neutral makeover will see Mr Potato Head become the toy formerly known as Mr Potato Head.

The classic toy's branding is being "reimagined for the modern consumer", its US maker Hasbro announced on Thursday.

From later this year, the toy - launched almost 70 years ago - will be named Potato Head on packaging.

Good - I was always of the view that it was an extremely sexist toy and a terrible insult to blokes. :)hahazebs:)

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

"Now Hasbro has decided to announce again that the ‘Mr. Potato Head’ will not be going anywhere as well as Mr. and Mrs. will remain as their own characters. It is more obvious now when the first announcement happened, the company wanted to test the waters as to how the internet would react.

Matt Walsh of Daily Wire mocked Hasbro’s decision with what [certain types] would say,

I told my 7-year-old daughter that Mr. Potato Head is gender neutral now and she smiled and said, ‘This is the greatest day of my life. Finally I can be at peace.’ We hugged and I started sobbing. It was so beautiful.”

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...makeover-gender-neutral-name-will-not-happen/

Translation: Hasbro got gobs of free publicity for virtually zero effort.

maximus otter