• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Minor Strangeness

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I wonder if the whole 'dog stealing' thing plays into our fear of losing what's closest to us - like the whole 'Bogus Social Workers Take Your Children' thing, only with dogs and more overt methods?

SimonBurchell

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Posting over at the Waverley Abbey thread jogged my memory of a minor occurrence in the mid-1990s when I was visiting the ruins of the temple of Mithras at Carrawburgh, on Hadrian's Wall. For those unfamiliar with the place, the ruins of the temple consist essentially of a low wall base, not standing more than a foot or so high. If you imagine a small country chapel that has been demolished to near-ground level, that would give you an idea of its dimensions. When I visited the little ruin, as I stepped across the threshold while talking to my brother, for a second or two my voice sounded oddly muffled/echoey, as if I'd just stepped into a damp, enclosed space. As my momentum carried me forward, my voice returned to normal. I returned to where I had been and tried to recreate the effect but was unable to do so. I imagine I caught a chance echo off the sides of the doorway, but it was very odd.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Posting over at the Waverley Abbey thread jogged my memory of a minor occurrence in the mid-1990s when I was visiting the ruins of the temple of Mithras at Carrawburgh, on Hadrian's Wall. For those unfamiliar with the place, the ruins of the temple consist essentially of a low wall base, not standing more than a foot or so high. If you imagine a small country chapel that has been demolished to near-ground level, that would give you an idea of its dimensions. When I visited the little ruin, as I stepped across the threshold while talking to my brother, for a second or two my voice sounded oddly muffled/echoey, as if I'd just stepped into a damp, enclosed space. As my momentum carried me forward, my voice returned to normal. I returned to where I had been and tried to recreate the effect but was unable to do so. I imagine I caught a chance echo off the sides of the doorway, but it was very odd.
As if the building were briefly intact again? Very M.R. James!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Just seen this in the 'Mail'

View attachment 36608
And again, today, my weekly local paper has a big article from the local police telling us that most cases are exaggerated or the result of misunderstandings and just to carry on observing the usual 'anti theft' precautions that dog owners take (ie, not leaving your dog outside in an unsecure garden for hours and hours - and I think that's more of a Neighbourhood Watch thing than dog theft, with the poor buggers barking their heads off all day and/or all night). Maybe it's just because of our geographically isolated position, well away from any large towns, but here the recent 'dog theft spate' seems to be more FOAFtales than real.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Back when dog wardens were a new thing and they were keen, my brother had his dog nicked by one from his front garden!

He was working on his car and had chained Fido to a post while so they could keep an eye on each other.

When Bro popped into the house for something Fido went missing.

He locked up and walked up and down the street calling, and someone told him they'd seen the warden draw up in their van and take the dog. Didn't even ring the doorbell.

Bro was NOT amused and Fido was soon home.

(Edited for typos caused by posting on phone.)

Last edited:

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Or reverse international time line slip!

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I just 'liked' a post and, where as usually it comes up with 'you' in the 'like' bar it came up with my name, first time this has happened, has anyone else experienced this?

Screenshot_20210319-202217.png

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I just 'liked' a post and, where as usually it comes up with 'you' in the 'like' bar it came up with my name, first time this has happened, has anyone else experienced this? ...
That's never happened to me, but I can see how it could occur (relating to database paging and page updating).

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Would that be an avatar vardøgr?

Eyespy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
has anyone misplaced a pair of heavy duty scissors? The black pair on the right appeared under the machine last week. Not only are they not mine, they have traces of paint on the screw fastening.
thumbnail-1.jpeg

My scissors are on the table. I am still missing 2 teaspoons, so this may be some form of payment?.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sid

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
has anyone misplaced a pair of heavy duty scissors? The black pair on the right appeared under the machine last week. Not only are they not mine, they have traces of paint on the screw fastening.
View attachment 36966
My scissors are on the table. I am still missing 2 teaspoons, so this may be some form of payment?.
Decorator, or Artist possibly?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score