Minor Strangeness

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today we did a tour of old churches. This is a gothic portal in Spijkenisse with strange scratches.
I heard two theories about similar scratches:
- French occupation troops sharpening their sabres
- Pilgrims collecting church dust for medicinal puproses

Do you have more?

View attachment 37702View attachment 37703

Note: There must be many more of you who see such interesting details. Do you post them here dutifully? I like that very much!
This is fascinating and totally new to me, from the stories you have heard is the specific to mainland northern europe? Do these stories you heard define era these scratches are from?

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is fascinating and totally new to me, from the stories you have heard is the specific to mainland northern europe? Do these stories you heard define era these scratches are from?
I looked it up in the guidebook. There is one extra theory:
- people used the dust from the soft natural stone to clean their eating utensils
The guidebook says this is a well known phenomenon, these scratches on church portals.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Here is my very own Minor Strangeness:
Yesterday morning, I passed a house I walk by all the time, and notice a motorcycle that wasn't there before.
I don't know motorcycles, so I couldn't tell you the model, but I noted the tank was green.
(Green motorcycles, I was once told, are unlucky.)

Same day, I walk back in the other direction and see the motorcycle's tank is black!
This morning, walked by again, in the original direction—it's still black.

The motorcycle hasn't moved, it's in the same spot. :thought:

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Was the motorcycle tank replaced or exchanged?

This is a real brain teaser.

By the way, I also do not know anything about motorcycles.

My mom called motorcycles widow makers.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know motorcycles, so I couldn't tell you the model, but I noted the tank was green. ...
Same day, I walk back in the other direction and see the motorcycle's tank is black! ...
Did the green color (in your first observation) look out of place? What color(s) are the rest of the motorcycle's components?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
@IbisNibs

Was it a particularly dark green? I know that when the Jaguar Formula 1 team was reborn in 2000 the were originally going to go with a 'british racing green' livey, which was their original colour back in the day, but had to change it for a lighter shade as in some lighting contitions it looked black.

Last edited:

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Yesterday morning, I passed a house I walk by all the time, and notice a motorcycle that wasn't there before.
I don't know motorcycles, so I couldn't tell you the model, but I noted the tank was green.

Same day, I walk back in the other direction and see the motorcycle's tank is black!

I can't account for your motorcycle tank thing (a quick respray during the day?) but it did remind me of something that happened years ago. I'd cycle to work and one of the fields I would pass was blue in the morning and green in the evening when I went home. It was weird and I would look at it trying to figure out if it was some sort of trick of the light. Anyway one day I thought I would stop and examine the field. It was linseed. The flowers were all opened up in the morning and closed in the evening. Duhhhh... :chuckle: To be fair it is not a common crop.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score

As you have said you don't know motor cycles perhaps it was a different one?
Although the apparent colour change in different lighting conditions sounds as good an explaination. Wasn't there someting about a dress(?) that people saw as different colours doing the rounds a while ago?

Sollywos x

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Yes, that dress sounded infernal!

I don't think it was a different motorcycle with a black tank, but for all I know it was.

No.

I didn't really notice. Not even on the second day! :oops:

Yes.
Intriguing. Could possibly be that the tank was painted in one of those chameleon type paints which do change colour according to light conditions. Dark green is one of the more common ones. More likely to be an interdimensional bike, which forgets to changes it's colour between trips.

Sgt Girth

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Intriguing. Could possibly be that the tank was painted in one of those chameleon type paints which do change colour according to light conditions. Dark green is one of the more common ones. More likely to be an interdimensional bike, which forgets to changes it's colour between trips.
Rover 75s sometimes came with polychromatic paint schemes.....I think that’s the correct term.

1618427017961.jpeg

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A clock in a Buddhist temple in Japan, which stopped working after the 2011 earthquake, has started working again after another earthquake struck this year.

"Its owner, Bunshun Sakano, then tried to fix the clock, without success.
But when a smaller quake hit 10 years later, he says it began working again."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56752342

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Spectre IIRC....Even the Rover 200 had one - Amaranth.
Also a favourite for some time for TVR (where some quantities of this type of paint seemed to "evaporate" from the factory) and also would you believe Nissan Micras. A beggar to blend in if damaged.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Also a favourite for some time for TVR (where some quantities of this type of paint seemed to "evaporate" from the factory) and also would you believe Nissan Micras. A beggar to blend in if damaged.
I suppose it made your TVR a nice orniment to look at on your drive when it wasnt working, which was most of the time :hahazebs:

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
A dearth of Strange Things in our household recently, but something a bit funny during the week. A Bagpuss cat bean bag type figure about 6" high resides in the corner of the bedroom on a wooden box about 18" tall. Leans against a large teddy bear because it won't sit on it's own without falling over. Get up early doors on Wednesday morning to find said Bagpuss sitting upright on it's own on the floor about 6 feet away from it's usual place. Ah - the cats you say. Nope, upstairs bedroom cat never messes with these things nor does she pick up anything in her mouth nor does downstairs cat dare venture into her housemate's territory. I would have guessed at me getting up during the night and accidentally knocking Bagpuss off it's perch, but that would not explain how it ended up so far off it's box or how it could balance upright on it's own. Anyone got ideas?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A dearth of Strange Things in our household recently, but something a bit funny during the week. A Bagpuss cat bean bag type figure about 6" high resides in the corner of the bedroom on a wooden box about 18" tall. Leans against a large teddy bear because it won't sit on it's own without falling over. Get up early doors on Wednesday morning to find said Bagpuss sitting upright on it's own on the floor about 6 feet away from it's usual place. Ah - the cats you say. Nope, upstairs bedroom cat never messes with these things nor does she pick up anything in her mouth nor does downstairs cat dare venture into her housemate's territory. I would have guessed at me getting up during the night and accidentally knocking Bagpuss off it's perch, but that would not explain how it ended up so far off it's box or how it could balance upright on it's own. Anyone got ideas?

I thought everyone knew Bagpuss comes alive when Emily goes home :)

salt-man

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I thought everyone knew Bagpuss comes alive when Emily goes home :)
Heretic! Bagpuss comes alive when Emily says the magic words:

"Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss, old, fat furry cat-puss

Wake up and look at this thing that I bring

Wake up, be bright, be golden and light

Bagpuss, oh hear what I sing"

Then when Bagpuss goes back to sleep he stays asleep until Emily wakes him up again. Emily holds the magic. Bagpuss cannot wake up unless Emily wakes him up

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
M
Heretic! Bagpuss comes alive when Emily says the magic words:

"Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss, old, fat furry cat-puss

Wake up and look at this thing that I bring

Wake up, be bright, be golden and light

Bagpuss, oh hear what I sing"

Then when Bagpuss goes back to sleep he stays asleep until Emily wakes him up again. Emily holds the magic. Bagpuss cannot wake up unless Emily wakes him up
My bad :(

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Anyone got ideas?
I think probably you moved unexpectedly and caught the bagpuss by surprise, not allowing it enough time to return to it's usual resting place, so it just stopped mid-journey.
You really should be aware that these 'inanimate' objects are like that while no-one is watching.
Where do you think the writers of 'Toy Story' got the idea from?

Last edited:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
A clock in a Buddhist temple in Japan, which stopped working after the 2011 earthquake, has started working again after another earthquake struck this year.

"Its owner, Bunshun Sakano, then tried to fix the clock, without success.
But when a smaller quake hit 10 years later, he says it began working again."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56752342
I have a minorly strange clock of my own. It's a very cheap kitchen clock which was in the house when I moved in. In the summer it stopped working (it had kept excellent time up until then). I changed the batteries - it wouldn't work. 'Dud batteries' think I, and change them again. Clock refused to work. So I left it where it lay after the battery operation, on the table. About three weeks later, it randomly started to work. So I hung it back up, when it stopped working again. This time I left it on the wall, where it would randomly work sporadically throughout the winter. Then it stopped again.

About a week ago it started to work consistently. So I set it right and left it on the wall. It kept good time for a day, and then randomly lost or gaimed time according to its own particular schedule. It's currently telling me it's five to seven (it's twenty past one), yet the hands seem to move freely and it ticks at once a second. I have no idea what to do with said clock... which works, yet doesn't work, if you see what I mean.