• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The other day my friend reminded me of an incident of 'minor strangeness' that we both experienced.

It was approximately 5-10 years ago, I was driving us somewhere and decided to stop at a garage to top up the petrol. Whilst I was filling the tank I felt very conscious about the fact the patrol was going in. It was a very peculiar feeling that's hard to describe. I paid, came back to the car and started to drive off, then realised that the petrol gauge was still really low. My friend made the comment that she'd experienced the same weird feeling I had, almost like something wasn't quite right.

Being a relatively new driver and having never experienced this before, I went back in the garage and the attendant explained that if I kept driving I'd probably find that the gauge would correct itself, as it was probably just stuck. I continued to drive and within half an hour it showed the tank was full and I had no further problems.

I've never experienced this before or since, and it's never happened again (although I no longer have that car). The car issue itself wasn't weird, it was the way we both seemed to know something wasn't right.

There is a fire engine parked at the end of my road, but its not doing anything exciting.
You're joking, right? A load of firemen turning up is NOT exciting? :chuckle:

I had a routine 'fire risk check' done at ours years ago for which a fire engine turned up.

A highly satisfactory exercise. :cool:
Told a mate, who also arranged one, and her husband took the afternoon off work so she wouldn't be alone with them. :chuckle:

the petrol gauge was still really low.
I had this happen with a Vauxhall Corsa I had borrowed.
I drove away from the filling station and was concerned that maybe the pump had not actually pumped any fuel!
But a couple of miles down the road it suddenly indicated a full tank.

I had this happen with a Vauxhall Corsa I had borrowed

My previous car was a Vauxhall Corsa and it used to do this too. I could never figure out why. But Cloudbusting and friend both experiencing the feeling of something being 'not right' is intriguing, especially as it seems as if it was synchronised between them both. I wonder, Cloudbusting, if your friend also felt the feeling of oddness was connected to the refuelling specifically?

The other day my friend reminded me of an incident of 'minor strangeness' that we both experienced.

It was approximately 5-10 years ago, I was driving us somewhere and decided to stop at a garage to top up the petrol. Whilst I was filling the tank I felt very conscious about the fact the patrol was going in. It was a very peculiar feeling that's hard to describe. I paid, came back to the car and started to drive off, then realised that the petrol gauge was still really low. My friend made the comment that she'd experienced the same weird feeling I had, almost like something wasn't quite right.

Being a relatively new driver and having never experienced this before, I went back in the garage and the attendant explained that if I kept driving I'd probably find that the gauge would correct itself, as it was probably just stuck. I continued to drive and within half an hour it showed the tank was full and I had no further problems.

I've never experienced this before or since, and it's never happened again (although I no longer have that car). The car issue itself wasn't weird, it was the way we both seemed to know something wasn't right.
I was at a petrol station once and saw a man filling his car, but there was something odd.
The man was looking away and didn't notice it, but I saw a load of petrol just falling down onto the concrete forecourt at the back of the car.
Alarmed, I went over and stopped him.
He'd stuck the nozzle in a gap next to the filler hole, so all the petrol was just pouring through into the car's bodywork.
Could have been a disaster. Or cost him a shed load of money.

I've had the fuel gauge issue on a couple of cars. On one, the sender unit just stopped working.

My previous car was a Vauxhall Corsa and it used to do this too. I could never figure out why. But Cloudbusting and friend both experiencing the feeling of something being 'not right' is intriguing, especially as it seems as if it was synchronised between them both. I wonder, Cloudbusting, if your friend also felt the feeling of oddness was connected to the refuelling specifically?

Yes exactly that. :nods:
The car issue isn't unusual and there was a logical explanation for it in any case. It was the mutual shared feeling we had which was specifically about the refuelling, that's what was so odd.

Could probably just put that experience down to a weird coincidental crossing of minds!

The car issue isn't unusual and there was a logical explanation for it in any case. It was the mutual shared feeling we had which was specifically about the refuelling, that's what was so odd.
Here's a farfetched though logical explanation: if you both had an inkling that the gauge was faulty you might each have been unconsciously paying extra attention to the sound and vibration of the fuel going in.

I owned a Fiesta with a faulty speedometer. It first told me I was doing about 40 in a 30mph area, then over a couple of weeks told taller and taller tales until it eventually just spun round like a propeller.

Was giving fellow night-workers lifts home at the time and one bloke was both so tired and amused that became delirious with laughter.

All he could do was gasp out 'Stop it! Tell it to stop it!' :rollingw:

Petrol fumes? I can sometimes come over a bit 'odd' after I've filled my son's car (which is petrol, to my diesel) and wonder if it's because I've breathed in a lungful of fumes. Or whether it's just because I have, in a moment of overgenerosity, offered to fill his car for him...

At Asda Lancaster one time a woman decided to put petrol into the electrical charge socket of her car. A man in a van had to physically drag her out of her car which was on fire big time.

A brave member of staff ran to the petrol station to switch off the supply of petrol to the pumps otherwise it could have been a whole lot worse.

What I found awful were people filming the incident on their phones. at that time they did not know if anyone was in the vehicle that was in flames, but they still proceeded to film it, assuming they wanted a thrill:

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/news/cars-damaged-asda-petrol-station-blaze-653457

It is quite amazing really. It was brand new and I don't think that she had filled it up with petrol Before!

Petrol fumes? I can sometimes come over a bit 'odd' after I've filled my son's car (which is petrol, to my diesel) and wonder if it's because I've breathed in a lungful of fumes. Or whether it's just because I have, in a moment of overgenerosity, offered to fill his car for him...

This may also explain why we saw dancing trolls on the drive home... :p

But in all seriousness, it's a good point and I hadn't thought of it!

You're joking, right? A load of firemen turning up is NOT exciting? :chuckle:

I had a routine 'fire risk check' done at ours years ago for which a fire engine turned up.

A highly satisfactory exercise. :cool:
Told a mate, who also arranged one, and her husband took the afternoon off work so she wouldn't be alone with them. :chuckle:
Similarly in 1992 I moved into a house with a huge beautiful tappan gas range that must have dated to the 50"s . Every time you turned anything on the whole knob glowed red - I used to show it off to guests and turn it on xmas ever as decoration. The day I was going to use the oven for the first time I realized I had not a clue how to actually light the gas, As this was pre-internet, at the advice of a friend I called my local small-town fire department and asked if any of the guys there had dealt with one of these. Must have been a slow day because a truckload showed up and argued about whether it was a danger and they should just turn off the gas to the house. Luckily one of them had experience with that model, and showed me how, it did not have a pilot light. Years later I wanted something smaller so I sold it on ebay to someone who rebuilt these models. He said they were bought a lot by NJ crime families down by the shore. He made quite a nice profit on them.

My FB friend in Texas posted yesterday that she was in the middle of sewing something for her daughter E, and thought to herself, "Oh, I'll have to get her downstairs to try this on." She swears she didn't verbalise this thought, but almost instantly, her youngest daughter yelled from the kitchen, "E! Get down here, Mummy wants you!" Freaked my friend out good and proper.

My FB friend in Texas posted yesterday that she was in the middle of sewing something for her daughter E, and thought to herself, "Oh, I'll have to get her downstairs to try this on." She swears she didn't verbalise this thought, but almost instantly, her youngest daughter yelled from the kitchen, "E! Get down here, Mummy wants you!" Freaked my friend out good and proper.
ESP?

There is a fire engine parked at the end of my road, but its not doing anything exciting.

View attachment 41578
There was a Fire Engine outside Work as I was leaving for lunch some time ago. I was sufficiently emboldened to ask the Fire Chief if he was on 'a shout' eg cat up a tree in the park ? With a weary sigh he explained that some-one had managed to prise open the hatch at the back of the Charity textile/clothing recycling bin and crawled in for the night. Somehow (or by some-one) the hatch had become locked behind him and plaintive pleas for help were eventually heard from the chute.

I've experienced a few similar incidents... pretty weird/creepy!

Tea towels can explode*

*if placed too close to an unprotected source of naked flame, please read manufacturer's instructions.

Manufacturer's instructions?? Pah! Like any man, the first thing I do when I start using a new tea towel is throw away the instruction manual.

Back