• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Didn't Leicester Striker Jamie Vardy start his career at Fleetwood Town?
Coincidentally both my mother and father worked in Fleetwood in the 40's and 50's. Ms Petes worked there for a short while and it was in this job that the company's marketing department gave her a map of her client recruitment/sales area, two thirds of which comprised the sea. You have to wonder about Fleetwood.

People can just lose track of things.

Techy is currently accusing me of losing a magnetised tray of screws and bolts that he reckons I borrowed from him when I was fixing hinges to a cabinet.

This is rubbish as 1. the hinges I used came with all the fittings and 2. I always give things back.

There's also 3. Techy don't take care of his own property and is always looking for stuff and accusing me of losing it.

He will find the tray when searching for something else.

The magnetised tray is stuck to the side of the fridge where it's been since I placed it there last year.

I hadn't borrowed it, I'd taken it off to dust it because he'd left it on the floor.
I told him where it was when he asked me and he went to look but couldn't see it.

Not surprisingly, given its size; it's only slightly enormous and conspicuous. :rolleyes:

So yesterday I suggested he look again and this time Mr Eagle-Eye spotted it. :chuckle:

That just goes to prove, escargot, there's always a rational explanation. Unless there isn't.

One thing that always amazes me (err, two things actually) is how often the following things happen....

I go to the fridge looking for a particular item, but I look and look and can't see it ("where's the bloody pickles?") So my partner looks and sees it immediately. I can't figure out why I couldn't see it because it was bleedin' obvious, where it should have been. Or it happens the other way around, so my partner can't see it after 30 seconds of rummaging but I do, straight away.

The other example is when one of us is trying to open something (usually a jar of something). Struggle, strain, swear..... "can't open the bloody thing!" The other one says "Let me try" - and hardly has to touch the thing before the lid pops off practically of its own accord, prompting the customary response "I must have loosened it".

Both of these things seem to happen all the time. It just feels like something is playing games with us. I don't need any help to make me even more of a paranoid android than I already am!!

That just goes to prove, escargot, there's always a rational explanation. Unless there isn't.

One thing that always amazes me (err, two things actually) is how often the following things happen....

I go to the fridge looking for a particular item, but I look and look and can't see it ("where's the bloody pickles?") So my partner looks and sees it immediately. I can't figure out why I couldn't see it because it was bleedin' obvious, where it should have been. Or it happens the other way around, so my partner can't see it after 30 seconds of rummaging but I do, straight away.

The other example is when one of us is trying to open something (usually a jar of something). Struggle, strain, swear..... "can't open the bloody thing!" The other one says "Let me try" - and hardly has to touch the thing before the lid pops off practically of its own accord, prompting the customary response "I must have loosened it".

Both of these things seem to happen all the time. It just feels like something is playing games with us. I don't need any help to make me even more of a paranoid android than I already am!!

Techy couldn't find the tray because there is another magnetic screw-collecting thing there too so he thought that was what I meant and stopped looking. I put this down to the deep unconscious scepticism men hold about everything women say.

When I can't open a jar I walk out of the front door and ask whichever man happens to be passing to do it for me. I live on a busy street so it's soon done. :)

When I can't open a jar I walk out of the front door and ask whichever man happens to be passing to do it for me. I live on a busy street so it's soon done. :)
But I'M a man! Or at least a simulacrum of one. Do you know how silly that would make me feel?

Cant see wood for trees springs to mind, I find stepping back and
getting a wider view often helps.
RaM - are you Yoda under a pseudonym? Great wisdom you have.

And of course any red blooded male will feel he as to
get it open even if it means braking his fingers to do it
he will then walk off smiling as though there was nothing to
it only to go into fits of screaming once out of sight and change
his rout to pass casualty on the way home.
:):)

But I'M a man! Or at least a simulacrum of one. Do you know how silly that would make me feel?

RaM - are you Yoda under a pseudonym? Great wisdom you have.
And of course any red blooded male will feel he as to
get it open even if it means braking his fingers to do it
he will then walk off smiling as though there was nothing to
it only to go into fits of screaming once out of sight and change
his rout to pass casualty on the way home.
:):)

You can still ask another bloke to do the jar lid if you toss in a mention of that old boxing injury. :wink2:

You can still ask another bloke to do the jar lid if you toss in a mention of that old boxing injury. :wink2:
Hmm. Thanks for the suggestion, escargot. I've read some pretty far-fetched things in this Forum, but the idea of me having a boxing injury takes the biscuit. I could say I've sprained my wrist from over-energetic plumping of the cushions, I suppose. And before anyone asks, no, that is not a euphemism.

Hmm. Thanks for the suggestion, escargot. I've read some pretty far-fetched things in this Forum, but the idea of me having a boxing injury takes the biscuit. I could say I've sprained my wrist from over-energetic plumping of the cushions, I suppose. And before anyone asks, no, that is not a euphemism.
Hear me out though. Who's going to question a boxing injury? You might take umbrage and give THEM the same. :chuckle:

I have a car oil filter remover in the kitchen for such an eventuality though.
They're only a fiver.
1627998474666.png

But don’t keep them to long as they are eco friendly and fall apart after a short time

Not when he drops them all over the driveway! :D
Ooer missus! :chuckle:

Pick'em up then, put them to use.

There was a discussion Reddit or somewhere years ago about them. o_O

Here are 7 ways to help with that pesky stuck jar lid.
Good advice all around. One method I like is to hold the jar upside-down with your hand covering the bottom and slam it onto a counter or strong table with the lid parallel to the counter's surface. Not for the faint-hearted, as you have to hit as hard as possible without breaking the jar, but it really does loosen the lid.

Here's another educational video. WARNING: Requires knowledge of North American food terminology to understand the ending.

I was given one of those but didn't know what it was for a long time.

Have to say, it's not as much fun as harassing strange men in the street.
When I was about 9 or 10 I wanted a glass of Cherryade but my mum was in the garden hanging out the washing and I couldn't open the top of the Corona bottle (do you know that trade name reminds me of something but can't think what...) . I thought I would wedge it in the hinge part of the door and hold the top like that while twisting the bottle, unfortunately I wasn't too well schooled on leverage and so on, pulled the door too hard and the bottle split down the side and cut my hand open!

Back