• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I sometimes hear a loud noise as I'm drifting off, followed by a foul smell. I'm blaming the cat.

I was once prescribed Sodium Diclofenac when I pulled a muscle in my upper back.
That certainly did the trick.
A bit too well actually, lol.

Which one's you?!
I had a quick Google for a statue of Richard Burton with no joy.
There were these though:

A snap of Burton unveiling a movie prop sculpture of his wife Elizabeth Taylor -

Burton 1.jpg

In the second photo he looks thoughtful -

Burton 2.jpg

'Hmmmm, just as I remember.' :)

This made me laugh because Burton had a raucous sense of humour. Can remember reading a joint interview where Taylor complained about Burton sometimes twiddling one of her nipples and making a click noise, and then possibly, or I might have imagined this, humming the Archers theme. :rollingw:

I was “reliably informed“ that the fruit-fly problem we endure in the UK each summer is entirely the result of escaped lab-grown flies over the years, that have resulted in a natural population . Who can remember a fruitfly problem in the 1970s? I don’t recall ever seeing one until about 15 years ago.
Certainly when I worked in a different building where fruit flies were used for genetic work, sitting outside the tearoom in the summer was a risky business. We always put it down to them escaping from the relevant lab.

A former colleague of mine used to send them by post. Imagine how much fun that must have been!

I was “reliably informed“ that the fruit-fly problem we endure in the UK each summer is entirely the result of escaped lab-grown flies over the years, that have resulted in a natural population . Who can remember a fruitfly problem in the 1970s? I don’t recall ever seeing one until about 15 years ago.
I can remember them being an issue in the 1970s when my mum was making jam or brewing wine, they seem pretty much the same now, tbh!

That seems to be an urban legend as alcohol can't crystallise.

Burton was certainly unhealthy though. He also died at 58; only three months after Eric Morecambe.
Burton was 81 when he died!

I was once prescribed Sodium Diclofenac when I pulled a muscle in my upper back.
That certainly did the trick.
A bit too well actually, lol.
After that, you were always bending over backwards to help people!

There were these though:

A snap of Burton unveiling a movie prop sculpture of his wife Elizabeth Taylor -

View attachment 45411

View attachment 45412

This made me laugh because Burton had a raucous sense of humour. Can remember reading a joint interview where Taylor complained about Burton sometimes twiddling one of her nipples and making a click noise, and then possibly, or I might have imagined this, humming the Archers theme. :rollingw:
There is a statue of Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in Puerto Vallarta.

richard-burton-y-elizabeth-taylor-estatua-en-la-entrada-a-la-casa-kimberly-en-puerto-vallarta-...jpg

https://www.puertovallarta.net/what_to_do/the-lovers-jim-demetro-christina-demetro-2016

Yup, I also found that one but it's not funny like the one of just her with him ogling.

When Taylor was present at the unveiling of a bust of Burton she burst into tears, awwww.

Here's Burton with the sculptor Rocchi working on the bust.
It looks uncannily like not only Burton, which you'd expect as that's his job! but also as the older Burton we all know.
Burton bust by Gualberto Rocchi.jpg

I think I might have mentioned before the security guard that worked at the head office of a major UK retailer where I worked.
He had a major drinking problem which he managed to hide, until the suspended ceiling in the gents toilets collapsed due to the weight of the (by then) couple of hundred empty vodka bottles that he had been stashing up there.
I could never figure out what he thought would happen to them? Did he think they just evaporated? Or maybe the 'vodka bottle faeries' removed them?
Probably a case of 'out of sight...out of mind'.
But anyways, how they found out it is was him stashing them there was, despite being the security guard on the main entrance doors, with the rows of CCTV monitors in front of him, it had not crossed his mind that they were being recorded 24/7 and it only took a watching of the past week or so of recordings to see him swigging from the bottle when nobody was around.
A place I worked in in the 90s called out a plumber as one of the toilets would only produce a small dribble of water when flushed.

The plumber lifted the lid off of the cistern and found it was almost full of empty quarter bottles and miniatures of vodka.

Yup, I also found that one but it's not funny like the one of just her with him ogling.

When Taylor was present at the unveiling of a bust of Burton she burst into tears, awwww.

Here's Burton with the sculptor Rocchi working on the bust.
It looks uncannily like not only Burton, which you'd expect as that's his job! but also as the older Burton we all know.
View attachment 45426
Incidentally the film 'Night of the Iguana', starring Burton, was filmed not far from Puerto Vallarta, in Mismaloya.

You're right, but the restrictions on OTC painkillers is due to the danger of impulsive overdoses on them by depressed people, especially teenagers.

(When I worked with disturbed teenagers there was a constant dialogue between them about how many of each tablet they could take to alarm the adults without actually killing themselves. They thought they'd get away with it rather than suffering longterm effects. It was horrifying.
I had no idea about this stuff—it DOES sound horrifying:
"Paracetamol poisoning, also known as acetaminophen poisoning, is caused by excessive use of the medication paracetamol (acetaminophen).[2] Most people have few or non-specific symptoms in the first 24 hours following overdose. These include feeling tired, abdominal pain, or nausea. This is typically followed by a couple of days without any symptoms, after which yellowish skin, blood clotting problems, and confusion occurs as a result of liver failure. Additional complications may include kidney failure, pancreatitis, low blood sugar, and lactic acidosis. If death does not occur, people tend to recover fully over a couple of weeks.[3][4] Without treatment, death from toxicity occurs 4 to 18 days later.[5]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol_poisoning

What a sneaky drug! :(

"Paracetamol poisoning, also known as acetaminophen poisoning, is caused by excessive use of the medication paracetamol (acetaminophen).[2] Most people have few or non-specific symptoms in the first 24 hours following overdose. These include feeling tired, abdominal pain, or nausea. This is typically followed by a couple of days without any symptoms, after which yellowish skin, blood clotting problems, and confusion occurs as a result of liver failure. Additional complications may include kidney failure, pancreatitis, low blood sugar, and lactic acidosis. If death does not occur, people tend to recover fully over a couple of weeks.[3][4] Without treatment, death from toxicity occurs 4 to 18 days later.[5]"

Yup, it's eminently possible to die a longish painful death after a relatively small overdose of a cheap and common medication.
Great for headaches but risky around disturbed teenagers.

There were these though:

View attachment 45411

View attachment 45412

The wife of the actor Bernard Lee who played 'M' in the Bond films from 62-79 died in a house fire in 1972 at their home in Oare, Kent. Lee escaped but couldn't get his wife of 38 years out. A few weeks later he was mugged by two youths. These events caused him to turn to drink. He was unable to find work for a while and ran into debt. By a chance (as you do) he met Burton in a pub and Burton gave him a cheque for $6,000 along with a note saying ''everyone has a spot of trouble once in a while''. He then cleared his debts and overcame his depression.

The wife of the actor Bernard Lee who played 'M' in the Bond films from 62-79 died in a house fire in 1972 at their home in Oare, Kent. Lee escaped but couldn't get his wife of 38 years out. A few weeks later he was mugged by two youths. These events caused him to turn to drink. He was unable to find work for a while and ran into debt. By a chance (as you do) he met Burton in a pub and Burton gave him a cheque for $6,000 along with a note saying ''everyone has a spot of trouble once in a while''. He then cleared his debts and overcame his depression.
No wonder he fell into depression, married to someone for 38 years, she dies in horrible circs, and you are unable to save her. Might have finished you off that.

No wonder he fell into depression, married to someone for 38 years, she dies in horrible circs, and you are unable to save her. Might have finished you off that.
Definitely. And then a week or two later he was mugged.

Yup, it's eminently possible to die a longish painful death after a relatively small overdose of a cheap and common medication.
Great for headaches but risky around disturbed teenagers.
I've mentioned before that I knew an A&E nurse who told me that they had received a patient who had taken an overdose of booze and cheap meds. He was revived and there was a huge family reunion at the hospital where he expressed great regret at what he had done. Unfortunately it was too late, he was transferred to another hospital, and when he asked my friend whether he was going to be ok, she hadn't the heart to tell him he had only a few days left. Tragic.

That's a new one on me but no surprise as Burton was famously generous with his money. He supported his wider family back in Wales all his life.
One of those people who know exactly what to do for everyone but themselves. Couldn't you just slap them! :slapd:

That's a new one on me but no surprise as Burton was famously generous with his money. He supported his wider family back in Wales all his life.
One of those people who know exactly what to do for everyone but themselves. Couldn't you just slap them! :slapd:
I certainly wish I had friends like him instead of you lot. Not one tenner has come in yet. I wouldn't even mind the 10p from Trevp666.

I've mentioned before that I knew an A&E nurse who told me that they had received a patient who had taken an overdose of booze and cheap meds. He was revived and there was a huge family reunion at the hospital where he expressed great regret at what he had done. Unfortunately it was too late, he was transferred to another hospital, and when he asked my friend whether he was going to be ok, she hadn't the heart to tell him he had only a few days left. Tragic.
Sounds like paracetamol then. The liver damage had gone too far.
His poor family.
:(

Last night, about 10pm, I was stood outside in my back garden and I thought to myself that something didn't seem right but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.
Then I realised what it was.
Everything was unusually quiet, calm and peaceful.
There was no wind blowing, not even a slight breeze.
There were no planes overhead.
I couldn't hear any traffic of any sort (I live near some fairly busy local roads, an ambulance station, and a mile or so from the main A1M).
There were no loud parties anywhere nearby and nobody just playing music loudly.
As it was dark there were no birds or other wildlife that I could hear.
So I stood there for a couple of minutes just savouring it.

Then suddenly the silence was pierced by the semi-distant sound of a police car siren, and that was it, all the noises were back.
A plane was going over, the local roads sounded like they had traffic on again, a breeze picked up, and a car came slowly around the close with humpitty-bumpitty music throbbing out of it.
Yes it is a touch unnerving if you live in a noisy area to find that everything has gone silent. It's happened to me on occasions. It's particularly weird when driving on a normally busy road to see no other cars going in either direction.

I made the mistake of driving into Manchester city centre a couple of months ago, to find the road network changed so much from when I worked there decades ago, that it was unrecognizable and completely jammed with traffic. Came to a large normal appearing traffic light 4 way junction and went straight across to suddenly realise there was no traffic at all. Silent and weird. Went about 100yards before realising it was a bus/delivery vans only road in both directions. I fully expected an £80 fine in the post, but to date I seem to have escaped.

Paracetamol is available in the USA where it is called acetaminophen.
Brand names are Tylenol, Mapap, Panadol etc. One assumes the overdose problem applies there too.

Was just thinking as I nipped out in the old banger; when younger I noticed that whenever there was a film on from the good old US of A, that the green traffic lights always seemed blue to me. Many years later I asked an American guy if any states used blue and he said no.
I have since read that even our lights do have a slight blue hue added (to do with colour blindness I believe). I wondered if theirs just had more of a blue added than ours, but I don't seem to notice it nowadays.
I then recalled that in the 80s, whenever there was a report from the States, (not in films, but news reports etc) people had very orange faces (a bit like a woman I know who overdoes the make-up). I'm not sure how long this went on for, but a good few years. I don't think it happened into the 90s.
I'm therefore wondering, if both cases were something to do with different tv signals used back then perhaps?

"...in the 80s, whenever there was a report from the States, (not in films, but news reports etc) people had very orange faces...(to do with colour blindness I believe)"

Have you had your own eyesight checked?
Just sayin.....

Back