• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

There is a long tradition of 'rich beggars' in folklore and literature.

The subtext is that wicked layabouts are sponging off well-meaning strangers, when it's actually about social exclusion.
Yes this even appears in a Sherlock Holmes story (can't remember title and my copy of 'complete stories' seems to have disappeared!)

Further discussion of beggars / beggar disguise in Sherlock Holmes stories has been moved to the Sherlock Holmes thread:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-thread-of-sherlock-holmes.7990/

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of accounts of fake beggars earning hundreds of pounds a day online, here is one,

Fake rough sleeper who earns up to £600 a day says begging brings in more than working​

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/21/fake...-begging-brings-in-more-than-working-8975704/
What was unusual was that the bloke outside the chippie was not asking anyone for money, he just sat there in the rain. Possibly a new twist, avoiding action against him for begging and relying on sympathy. If he really was on the streets, would he not have scoffed the food offered to him straight away?

I was at one end of the lab hiding in my autoclave room when I heard what I thought was a whistle, like the ones they blew when the soldiers went over the top in the First World War. I put my head round the door to the main part of the lab but couldn't see any logical explanation. A minute or so later I heard it again. What I think it might have been is the magnetic flea clanking around in one of the bottles on the stirrer/hotplate. I'm just not entirely sure how my brain registered one sound and assigned it to another...

I was at one end of the lab hiding in my autoclave room when I heard what I thought was a whistle, like the ones they blew when the soldiers went over the top in the First World War. I put my head round the door to the main part of the lab but couldn't see any logical explanation. A minute or so later I heard it again. What I think it might have been is the magnetic flea clanking around in one of the bottles on the stirrer/hotplate. I'm just not entirely sure how my brain registered one sound and assigned it to another...
Magnetic flea?

Mmm another strange incident last night. Wake very suddenly in the small hours and lie there wondering if a noise had woken me up but everything silent. Sit up slightly to turn over and there at the corner of the bed sat a husky type dog, staring at me. Can't be, thought I and brain tries to reconcile the image into one of our cats who often sleeps there, but the dog was having nothing of it. White flash at the other corner and our little cat suddenly sits bolt upright and also stares at me. Image of the dog fades to nothing and I reach over to stroke the cat who settles down.(No I've never owned a husky and never dream of pets). Spookiness intensified by the green glow of the alarm clock which illuminates most of the bed.

FCS if it's not sultanas, it's weird visiting creatures determined to prevent a restful night. Prob. a ghost but I'm told they don't exist. So it's likely to be lack of or too much meds.

1635075858436.png

I suspect that Jack had bitten a person on more than one occasion. That photo of him seems to me to show Jack is predisposed to be human-aggressive: upright and not relaxed posture, focused stare, ears and eyes pointed directly at person, etc. Breed-specific rescues in the US are developing a reputation for trying to rehabilitate or adopt out unrehabilitatable, dangerous pooches. Dobermans are my favorite breed. My favorite Dobe easily scaled 15 foot walls and fences.

I suspect that Jack had bitten a person on more than one occasion. That photo of him seems to me to show Jack is predisposed to be human-aggressive: upright and not relaxed posture, focused stare, ears and eyes pointed directly at person, etc. Breed-specific rescues in the US are developing a reputation for trying to rehabilitate or adopt out unrehabilitatable, dangerous pooches. Dobermans are my favorite breed. My favorite Dobe easily scaled 15 foot walls and fences.
It does also look as though he's being held by one of those 'dog catcher' devices in that picture.

Poor lad. I wish people would stop getting huskies when they've got no idea just how much work they involve.

And on the other hand I knew a doberman who was frightened of squeeky toys.

When I was 13 or 14 my mum, dad and I were woken in the middle of the night to hear the piano downstairs playing spooky random notes. My dad reluctantly went downstairs to see what was going on and found our cat had managed to get through the serving hatch from her 'bedroom' in the kitchen and was walking up and down on our open piano.

When I was 13 or 14 my mum, dad and I were woken in the middle of the night to hear the piano downstairs playing spooky random notes. My dad reluctantly went downstairs to see what was going on and found our cat had managed to get through the serving hatch from her 'bedroom' in the kitchen and was walking up and down on our open piano.

I can't believe how long it takes that cat to start acting like a cat! I thought it was dead for the first minute or so. Mind you, lying around in a dead sleep is quite typical cat behaviour too, thinking about it.

Probably thought it was getting scratched. I don't understand however - not to get too Fortean about a cat video - why the middle notes were not muffled.
The hammers are still hitting the strings (albeit with not as much force as they would do if kitty wasn't there).

Last edited:
Talented man - I did a days recording session in the 80s with Slim back in my days as a studio engineer. I had no idea he was a legend - he was just a fairly elderly black American guy to me - he turned up with an old acoustic & did a couple of songs, the only one of which I can remember, was about rice & beans. Stupidly I didn’t take a copy.

He invented his own ‘O Rooney’ lyrics which Little Richard kinda nicked in Tooty Fruity. There’s quite a lot of him on uchoob - there’s a great clip of him as part of a small group vamping before some amazing Lindyhop dancing happens.

Talented man - I did a days recording session in the 80s with Slim back in my days as a studio engineer. I had no idea he was a legend - he was just a fairly elderly black American guy to me - he turned up with an old acoustic & did a couple of songs, the only one of which I can remember, was about rice & beans. Stupidly I didn’t take a copy.

He invented his own ‘O Rooney’ lyrics which Little Richard kinda nicked in Tooty Fruity. There’s quite a lot of him on uchoob - there’s a great clip of him as part of a small group vamping before some amazing Lindyhop dancing happens.
Wow! We need to hear more of your exploits!

Back