• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Talented man - I did a days recording session in the 80s with Slim back in my days as a studio engineer. I had no idea he was a legend - he was just a fairly elderly black American guy to me -
A friend of mine used to be a recording engineer at a studio in London.
He occasionally worked on reception too and answered the phone.

The drains had "gone", and they were waiting for someone from Dynorod (Drain unblocking service) to come and see what they could do.

A man walked in carrying a carrier bag.
Black, middle-aged, non-descript looking.
Said he was there for the booking.

So my friend shows him where the door is to the back of the studio and points out the drains, says he will be sitting at reception and to come and report to him once he had finished working.

The man seemed confused, asked where the recording studio rooms were.
So my friend asks him what he has come for, ad he says he had been booked to work on a recording session.

My friend walks with him back to reception and goes through the list of bookings, and realises he has made a mistake
And then some.

It was Saxophonist Maceo Parker.

The bizarre thing about it is that my friend had actually seen Maceo perform in concert a few years previously, and even so failed to recognise him!

Today I was helping clear a deceased acquaintance's house before the builders empty it.
The owner said I could have anything I wanted so I made off with some OS maps.

At home I sat down to look through them and found one of our part of the country. Just like the one I used to have!
I used to LOVE looking at it, planning outings and bike rides when I was a teenager.
Hadn't seen it for years, wonder where it went?

Opened it and saw my own name and address in my best handwriting. Upside down but I'd know it a mile away.
The deceased acquaintance was a relation of one of my exes so I reckon it got borrowed and lent at some point in between his moving in and my chucking him out.

Today I was helping clear a deceased acquaintance's house before the builders empty it.
The owner said I could have anything I wanted so I made off with some OS maps.

At home I sat down to look through them and found one of our part of the country. Just like the one I used to have!
I used to LOVE looking at it, planning outings and bike rides when I was a teenager.
Hadn't seen it for years, wonder where it went?

Opened it and saw my own name and address in my best handwriting. Upside down but I'd know it a mile away.
The deceased acquaintance was a relation of one of my exes so I reckon it got borrowed and lent at some point in between his moving in and my chucking him out.
It stands to reason that a map would be able to find its way home.

It stands to reason that a map would be able to find its way home.
Yup, it's sorta mystical, innit? :)

It had been out of my possession for 45 years and might be the only bit of my teenage handwriting left in the world.
Being dyspraxic with writing problems I don't tend to show off the old cursive.

Can remember writing my name in books and maps in a peculiarly neat and slightly ornate style, conscious that a stranger seeing it wouldn't know my secret. :wink2:

Yup, it's sorta mystical, innit? :)

It had been out of my possession for 45 years and might be the only bit of my teenage handwriting left in the world.
Being dyspraxic with writing problems I don't tend to show off the old cursive.

Can remember writing my name in books and maps in a peculiarly neat and slightly ornate style, conscious that a stranger seeing it wouldn't know my secret. :wink2:

A few years ago I had donated some books to the Friends of the Library in the town I was living in. Not long after, I visited a used bookstore a few towns away. There was my dream dictionary, with my name in it.

There's a solar powered water feature in my garden and when I went outside at dawn today I could hear water splashing. I was surprised to see it was running.
The pump doesn't operate unless the sun is shining on the solar panel or I press the button to start it if the batteries have enough charge. It stops working late in the evening when the battery has discharged. There wasn't enough sunshine to have charged the battery very much yesterday and it's cloudy this morning.
Perhaps it's an outdoor version of water appearing mysteriously indoors.

Apologies if this is a repeat, but recently read of someone experiencing random activating of their door bell. There was no one at the door when answered. One of those clever micro camera things recorded a large snail peering at the camera sitting on the door bell. Probably thought it was hilarious.

A little retro by now, but remember fruit flies?
The next day, I opened the blinds again and there were even more than the first time! I grabbed the raid and sprayed the entire area like crazy. I sprayed all the drains in the apartment and because most of the ones in the apartment were around the fridge, I sprayed all around the sides and underneath. Then I made a few traps with apple cider vinegar and put one in each room.
Soon after the post above, I had my own fruit fly invasion. (Minor Strangeness, as I'm on another continent and in a somewhat different climate. Please don't mention the Law of Attraction.) Not liking aerosolized neurotoxins myself, I made some apple cider vinegar traps.
The fruit flies gathered 'round but the traps didn't work.

I put the vinegar in shallower dishes to make it easy for the flies to crawl in and drown.
Didn't work.
Added wine to make the flies drunk so they'd fall in and drown.
Didn't work.
Not only didn't work at all, but the wine turned the traps into a fruit fly singles bar, and the couple that were going at it had an audience of other fruit flies. Little perverts.

It was the spray bottle of environmentally friendly household cleaner that did for them.
Now the only flies that are left are the extremely little ones that go up my nose.

I'm yet again being targeted by "agencies". Latest one is a government agency wanting to interview me and complete a "survey". Thing is, I never have complied with such local authority or central government requests. No one I know in my situation has ever been approached. This time they are sending me a free gift and a £10 voucher if I comply.( Like that's going to persuade me.) I don't claim benefits, all taxes paid up, pay all bills, so I fail to see what the interest is. Maybe they think that I'm too normal - if only they knew:chuckle:. Last time I was virtually hounded by visits, but I was always out when "they" called.
Anyone got any bright ideas why I get all this interest? (This forum hacked by the men in black?)

I'm yet again being targeted by "agencies". Latest one is a government agency wanting to interview me and complete a "survey". Thing is, I never have complied with such local authority or central government requests. No one I know in my situation has ever been approached. This time they are sending me a free gift and a £10 voucher if I comply.( Like that's going to persuade me.) I don't claim benefits, all taxes paid up, pay all bills, so I fail to see what the interest is. Maybe they think that I'm too normal - if only they knew:chuckle:. Last time I was virtually hounded by visits, but I was always out when "they" called.
Anyone got any bright ideas why I get all this interest? (This forum hacked by the men in black?)
I think the men in Black run this forum.

I have a list of the main websites I use in 'my favourites'. Somehow the icons for the first two in the list have swapped places. It's also happened a few times in the past. It must be the icon fairy doing this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 19.15.49.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 19.15.49.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 20
"Windy Wind Map". Sounds like a name put forward for a "Name our Anemometer" contest.

I suspect that Jack had bitten a person on more than one occasion. That photo of him seems to me to show Jack is predisposed to be human-aggressive: upright and not relaxed posture, focused stare, ears and eyes pointed directly at person, etc. Breed-specific rescues in the US are developing a reputation for trying to rehabilitate or adopt out unrehabilitatable, dangerous pooches. Dobermans are my favorite breed. My favorite Dobe easily scaled 15 foot walls and fences.
Zoltan - Hound Of Dracula!

Some of them may not be legit.

Apologies if this is a repeat, but recently read of someone experiencing random activating of their door bell. There was no one at the door when answered. One of those clever micro camera things recorded a large snail peering at the camera sitting on the door bell. Probably thought it was hilarious.
A few months back I nearly jumped out of the car when I put it in reverse then glanced at the satnav screen to see a 'huge' spider staring at me - My car has one of those tiny cameras on the rear bumper to aid reversing and obviously a spider had crawled onto the lense at that moment:chuckle:

So I suspect you all are beginning to influence me badly.

This morning I was tidying my bedroom and my night table, which I don't really use - it has a small lamp, a Himalayan salt lamp ( both unplugged), and my radio alarm clock (which I use) on it - had water covering about 1/2 its space, with wet salt crystals intermixed. The table is about 2 1/2 ft squared.

I had no water in a container on the table. Nothing but the wooden ring under the salt chunk was wet. The crystals looked as if water had been poured and they had washed over the table.

My upper floor is a half story, so I felt the angled wallpapered area as well as the ceiling right above the water - dry. I moved the table to see if there was water on floor - dry. All other items on table - dry. The chunk of salt - dry. The only wet area was the bottom of the wood ring, which had absorbed some of the water and the table surface with the saturated salt crystals.

I do have cats, so there is a possibility one peed on the table, but they have not done so before. The liquid (pretty sure it's water) was clear and no odour. The obvious answer is a cat, but how did the salt crystals wash over the table and the salt chunk be completely dry, and still with its years of dust collected on it?

Last edited:
So I suspect you all are beginning to influence me badly.

This morning I was tidying my bedroom and my night table, which I don't really use - it has a small lamp, a Himalayan salt lamp ( both unplugged), and my radio alarm clock (which I use) on it - had water covering about 1/2 its space, with wet salt crystals intermixed. The table is about 2 1/2 ft squared.

I had no water in a container on the table. Nothing but the wooden ring under the salt chunk was wet. The crystals looked as if water had been poured and they had washed over the table.

My upper floor is a half story, so I felt the angled wallpapered area as well as the ceiling right above the water - dry. I moved the table to see if there was water on floor - dry. All other items on table - dry. The chunk of salt - dry. The only wet area was the bottom of the wood ring, which had absorbed some of the water and the table surface with the saturated salt crystals.

I do have cats, so there is a possibility one peed on the table, but they have not done so before. The liquid (pretty sure it's water) was clear and no odour. The obvious answer is a cat, but how did the salt crystals wash over the table and the salt chunk be completely dry, and still with its years of dust collected on it?

I had a salt lamp and a small salt candleholder. Both "sweated", but that was during humid weather.

Very minor touch of synchronicity. On Friday afternoon I had a strange urging to play some tracks from a band i had not heard of for years, New Model Army. I dont have any of their vinyl or CDs so fired up Alexa and listened to a few tracks. The next day me and the wife went to see a band at a local venue. Pretty poor turn out, only about 30 people there. My wife knows I have a very good memory for lyrics and a bloke was standing in front of us wearing a t shirt with some song lyrics on the back. "go on then, whats the song" she said. I had no idea and we waited for the bloke to turn round so we could see the front of the shirt. when he eventually turned round, guess what the band was? Yep, New Model Army. The Cosmic Joker strikes again
Very minor touch of synchronicity. On Friday afternoon I had a strange urging to play some tracks from a band i had not heard of for years, New Model Army. I dont have any of their vinyl or CDs so fired up Alexa and listened to a few tracks. The next day me and the wife went to see a band at a local venue. Pretty poor turn out, only about 30 people there. My wife knows I have a very good memory for lyrics and a bloke was standing in front of us wearing a t shirt with some song lyrics on the back. "go on then, whats the song" she said. I had no idea and we waited for the bloke to turn round so we could see the front of the shirt. when he eventually turned round, guess what the band was? Yep, New Model Army. The Cosmic Joker strikes again....
This reminds me of an experience that my husband had quite a few years ago. He was listening to the radio late one night (bbc 3) and he heard a track by Gavin Bryars (Jesus blood never failed me yet). He fell in love with it and and was mesmerised by how it crescendoed. He set about trying to find it on vinyl or cd but to no avail, it was not to be found anywhere.
Fast forward about three years and he had sourced a copy and the cd arrived in the post on a Saturday morning. He saved it all day so that he could have a couple of beers and sit in the kitchen at night and listen to the track I disturbed by the kids or myself . He hadn’t heard it since the first time years ago.
The evening came and he turned on the stereo as he unwrapped the cd, and Tom Robinson was on the radio at just that moment and said ‘as promised I will now play Gavin Bryars Jesus blood never failed me yet’ . Hubby went all tingly and had a little tear as he enjoyed it once again without even having to put the cd in the player.

When I decided to upgrade my cassette of Jesus' Blood, I found the CDs were being sold for about a billion quid each, which put me off somewhat.

Back