• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

So, a textbook case of synchronicity happened to me at work this week.

I got to know that a used bookstore was located somewhere in the same block of my job, so at lunchtime I went out to look for it. While circling the block, I looked up and I saw, in another building also related to my job, a sign with the name of a department I didn't know the location. "Oh, so it is here."

Then later Miss A., at work, asks me to deliver a document at the department I saw before. Alright, there I go. Upon arrival, the receptionist had the same name as Miss A. She tried to staple a receipt onto some papers for me, but the stapler was empty. So, she put a paperclip onto it, and I said I would staple it when I got back.

You probably guessed it, but here it goes anyway: when I tried to staple the papers, my stapler was also empty. So, the department name, the girls' names, and the staplers... let's go with a James Bond quote: "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

P.S.: it also happens that I have been looking for a way to show a typewriter to the first Miss A. (too young to have seen one in person), and the used "bookstore" is a sort of an antique store that in addition to about a thousand old books also sells old stuff, and they have a typewriter.

On the missing memory stick - things to check.
That your trousers don't have some kind of 'double pocket' that you could have missed.
That you definitely were wearing those trousers and not some other pair of trousers.
Look in pockets of other items of clothing that you might have been wearing.
Look in 'silly' places, like 'in the fridge', or 'on the shelf next to the door where you usually put things down if you've got your hands full'...etc.

After I took the flat apart last night and re-checked the laundry room (I'm not a novice at losing things), I pressed my spare memory stick against my forehead and tried to tune into the location of missing one - mental dowsing, quantum entanglement, evocation of Doris Stokes, desperation, senility, whatever. Nothing. I then went to bed and searched the flat again this morning, resigning myself to the fact all my work was gone. One last check of the laundry room again before shopping, the drums, the gaskets, the work surfaces - there it was under the meters.
My guess is that the stick was in the trouser side pocket (deep with a flap) but came out in the wash or tumble and was recovered by the next person using my machine. 24 hours later it was put back in the laundry room (same thing happened with my 1966 World Cup tea-towel but that took 3 weeks and I didn't know it was missing).
Oh and yes the data is still there. Thanks Doris.

After I took the flat apart last night and re-checked the laundry room (I'm not a novice at losing things), I pressed my spare memory stick against my forehead and tried to tune into the location of missing one - mental dowsing, quantum entanglement, evocation of Doris Stokes, desperation, senility, whatever. Nothing. I then went to bed and searched the flat again this morning, resigning myself to the fact all my work was gone. One last check of the laundry room again before shopping, the drums, the gaskets, the work surfaces - there it was under the meters.
My guess is that the stick was in the trouser side pocket (deep with a flap) but came out in the wash or tumble and was recovered by the next person using my machine. 24 hours later it was put back in the laundry room (same thing happened with my 1966 World Cup tea-towel but that took 3 weeks and I didn't know it was missing).
Oh and yes the data is still there. Thanks Doris.
So... some other person now has a copy of your data?

Yes, I've read that but I don't think it was. It was too precise and distinct and actually not particularly loud.
It can do that though. I've had similar.

My bedroom is over the front door so if anyone were really knocking at 3am I'd hear it clearly. It's all in my head! :chuckle:

Last night I watched David Attenborough, talking about the mammoths they found in the gravel pit in Swindon(on iPlayer, and very good too). A professor was handing David the bones of things they'd found, and he said 'this one's very special' and I suddenly found myself thinking 'that's a bear'. It was too. No idea why I thought that, it was only a fragment of jaw and I couldn't see it very well past the terrier's head as she tried to settle herself in my lap.

It happened to me once before in the same way, watching a historical programme and someone was looking at a field and I said 'there's a well in that field' just before the presenter said 'and we've found a well over here in this field.' I'd not seen either programme before, nor any trailers for them. Pathetic weirdness.

It can do that though. I've had similar.

My bedroom is over the front door so if anyone were really knocking at 3am I'd hear it clearly. It's all in my head! :chuckle:
<nods wisely> Hypnopompic and hypnogogic hallucinations. I used to get a lot of these when I was younger, but now I've moved house I rarely do. Not because, as some have suggested, the old house was haunted by a phantom knocker (and caller and phoner), but because I'm am much less stressed in this house.

Last night I watched David Attenborough, talking about the mammoths they found in the gravel pit in Swindon(on iPlayer, and very good too). A professor was handing David the bones of things they'd found, and he said 'this one's very special' and I suddenly found myself thinking 'that's a bear'. It was too. No idea why I thought that, it was only a fragment of jaw and I couldn't see it very well past the terrier's head as she tried to settle herself in my lap.

It happened to me once before in the same way, watching a historical programme and someone was looking at a field and I said 'there's a well in that field' just before the presenter said 'and we've found a well over here in this field.' I'd not seen either programme before, nor any trailers for them. Pathetic weirdness.
Yup, we saw a brilliant archeology documentary some years ago about the clearing of an old cemetery before new building work.
The skeletons showed some of the illnesses and injuries the deceased had suffered in life.

Several had survived puzzling hip and pelvic fractures. In a flash I 'saw' it happen and said 'They were hit by cart wheel hubs on the roads in the dark!'
We were later told that this was a common occurrence back then. I'd just made a lucky guess.

Another case of moving stuffed animals here... The Teenager, whose dragon previously made its way from her bed to the chest of drawers without explanation, asked me earlier whether I had moved her Pooh Bear. It had been on her bed last night, but was found today sitting on her bookcase behind a small stuffed yeti. Not me - and although her brother is known for stealing her stuffed animals on occasion, he'd remove it completely from the room rather than placing it somewhere else. Toy Story, anybody?

Another case of moving stuffed animals here... The Teenager, whose dragon previously made its way from her bed to the chest of drawers without explanation, asked me earlier whether I had moved her Pooh Bear. It had been on her bed last night, but was found today sitting on her bookcase behind a small stuffed yeti. Not me - and although her brother is known for stealing her stuffed animals on occasion, he'd remove it completely from the room rather than placing it somewhere else. Toy Story, anybody?
Why no set up a fixed placement for her bear, and see if gets moved?

One last check of the laundry room again before shopping, the drums, the gaskets, the work surfaces - there it was under the meters.
My guess is that the stick was in the trouser side pocket (deep with a flap) but came out in the wash or tumble and was recovered by the next person using my machine.
And now you keep your USB stick in a new place for safekeeping, right? Right?!!?
Trousers's pockets are the worst place to try to keep anything, especially if you drive a car on a regular basis. Every time you sit down it's inevitable that sooner or later, the stick will make a break for it and "fall" out. No keys, no cash, no tea spoons, no USB sticks could ever be trusted to remain in such an insecure place.
Repent and mend your ways before it's too late.

The bear is returning to the cabinet today until next Christmas, so that was his last chance for a wander around. :chuckle:
Well, you wouldn't wish for these occurrence's to Drag...on, I imagine!
1641205067028.png

A boyfriend and I took the tour of an Elizabethan country mansion* and were shown a panelled room with a secret door. The group were invited to guess where it was. Boyfriend strode over and pointed out the exact spot, to the guide's annoyance.

Boyfriend hadn't been there before or heard about the panel. He just knew. Weird bugger.

*Little Moreton Hall, a building of tear-inducing beauty.

Back