• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

A boyfriend and I took the tour of an Elizabethan country mansion* and were shown a panelled room with a secret door. The group were invited to guess where it was. Boyfriend strode over and pointed out the exact spot, to the guide's annoyance.

Boyfriend hadn't been there before or heard about the panel. He just knew. Weird bugger.

*Little Moreton Hall, a building of tear-inducing beauty.
I would love to go there and see inside. (I did go one day but it was shut).

I would love to go there and see inside. (I did go one day but it was shut).
I could meet you there!
Along with anyone else who fancied a visit. :)

In fact it'd be a great place for a Fortean group day out. Mow Cop with its highly photogenic folly and awesome views is only 3 miles away.

There are plenty of quaint places for lunch and real ale nearby.

I could meet you there!

In fact it'd be a great place for a Fortean group day out. Mow Cop with its highly photogenic folly and awesome views is only 3 miles away.

Deal.

a panelled room with a secret door
When I was a kid (I was probably about 8 or 9) we were on one of usual family holidays on The Isle of Wight.
We had gone to visit Osborne House one day and were walking through the property, following the route through between the red, braided ropes (as you do).
Suddenly my brother (probably about 12 or 13 at that time) piped up that he had found a secret panel!
We looked around at him and he had indeed found a secret panel, however it was only about the size of an A4 sheet of paper, and he was holding it open, putting his hand inside.
Then a gruff voice nearby called out "OY! Leave those light switches alone!".

Clearly, when electric lights were installed, they did not want the switches to be visible, so created a 'nook' to hide them in.

When I was a kid (I was probably about 8 or 9) we were on one of usual family holidays on The Isle of Wight.
We had gone to visit Osborne House one day and were walking through the property, following the route through between the red, braided ropes (as you do).
Suddenly my brother (probably about 12 or 13 at that time) piped up that he had found a secret panel!
We looked around at him and he had indeed found a secret panel, however it was only about the size of an A4 sheet of paper, and he was holding it open, putting his hand inside.
Then a gruff voice nearby called out "OY! Leave those light switches alone!".

Clearly, when electric lights were installed, they did not want the switches to be visible, so created a 'nook' to hide them in.
At the inlaws house the electric meter is at floor level in a cabinet, at the bottom of the stairs next to the front door. When you open the doors to the cabinet there is a wooden lintel in the wall and a big gap where you can see into next doors electric box and living room.
I've never seen this anywhere else.

Little Morton Hall—only 5 or 6 thousand miles away as the crow flies.
I'm going to cry.
There are loads of photos and videos of it online for you to enjoy. :)
The view you mainly see on photos doesn't show the extensive buildings and courtyard behind the lovely black and white facade or the gardens. There's a lot to see.

I follow Little Moreton Hall on Facebook. The staff reconstruct historical seasonal celebrations like Easter and xmas and visitors can normally join in. One day it will be possible again.

I could meet you there!

We should do this once gatherings are a good idea again.

The next door's electric box and living room are probably Catseye's.
Not me on this occasion! This house has its...oddities, but being able to see through two feet of solid walling into next door is not one of them! Mind you, the empty house next door was making noises last night sufficient for me to wake up and wonder what was going on in there. Probably sent someone in to put the heating on during the day and then it was cooling down as last night got cold, but there were definite 'sounds'...

I've had a bit of a look around to see if there is a suitable thread to put this in, something like 'mysterious noise' or 'strange hum', but neither really covers it, so I'll pop it in here.

I have noticed, over the past few evenings, that when I am outside I can hear a sound similar to that which would be made if you have an air conditioning unit running with a harmonica (mouth organ) close to the 'exhaust' blowing out.
So it sounds like all notes being played simultaneously, continuously, and when you try to listen to it properly it seems to become more indistinct, and it is a fairly faint noise too, as though it could be over on the other side of the hospital building across the way from me, just about on the limits of my hearing, but probably really annoying for anybody living near to it.
But here's the problem - I can't really work out exactly what direction it comes from. It seems to come from all directions at once, and doesn't seem to change when the wind drops or changes direction.

I'm thinking that it probably could actually be a faulty A/C unit of some sort, maybe with a bit of the casing has come loose and has dropped in front of the outflow of air, or is vibrating, or something, and possibly the unit is on the roof of the hospital so they would have to wait for an engineer.

Yeah but like I said, it's not a 'hum', it's more akin to a constant bagpiper.
I've mentioned it on here before, but near me there's a farm which has its name spelled out in old horseshoes all along the top of the gate at the end of the drive. As I run past it on a windy day, the wind whistles through the horseshoes, which are standing proud on the top of the gate, not nailed to it, if you see what I mean. The noise is very much like someone playing the comb and paper whilst attempting to whistle. So it does sound as though your noise is a loose bit of metal somewhere, vibrating in the wind.

I've mentioned it on here before, but near me there's a farm which has its name spelled out in old horseshoes all along the top of the gate at the end of the drive. As I run past it on a windy day, the wind whistles through the horseshoes, which are standing proud on the top of the gate, not nailed to it, if you see what I mean. The noise is very much like someone playing the comb and paper whilst attempting to whistle. So it does sound as though your noise is a loose bit of metal somewhere, vibrating in the wind.
You posted it here:

Waverley Abbey thread

Earlier today I was wondering what it was like to be stabbed, (as I keep reading about such crimes), so I prodded myself with my 8" kitchen knife just to get a 'feel' for what it might be like. I didn't draw blood, but I don't fancy going out that way to be honest. It doesn't half hurt. Try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't half hurt. Try it.
Well, of course poking a knife into yourself and not drawing blood doesn't hurt! :dunno:
Plunging the whole 8" blade into your body might give you a more accurate experience, but of course I don't recommend that course of action. Severed flesh, nerves and organs might feel slightly more painful than a light prodding that doesn't break the skin, no?

Also, I have to ask, Have you never cut yourself accidentally on anything, that you really can't imagine what it feels like?

I've (accidentally) stabbed or slashed myself enough to know that it usually doesn't hurt much... at first. And those times, there was blood. Especially when I (accidentally) stabbed myself in the thigh and hit my femoral artery.
Yes, being stabbed hurts. I shouldn't have to tell you that.
:chain:

It's weird though. Half means comparable which means fully. Surely, half hurts means half fully hurt? Half of one is a half and not one. If that makes sense.

I know it's slang but it still does not make sense.

I was getting a coffee the other day and the shop keeper, who I know, could not remember if I took sugar or not and he asked me 'do you not take sugar'. How is that answered? 'Yes, I don't take sugar' or 'no, I don't take sugar'. Language can be really strange sometimes. I obviously knew what he meant though.

Last edited:
Back