• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

For some reason I suddenly thought about Ronnie Spector earlier today. (I don't usually think about Ronnie Spector.) I remembered the story of how John Lennon, being famously smitten with her, once invited her to sit on his knee. She did, but leapt off rather quickly when she discovered quite how smitten he was. Anyway, I've just read now that she's sadly passed away. A coincidence, of course, but I thought it might qualify as very minor strangeness.

Last edited:
I'm just too lazy to look it up--alas, nothing strange about that at all! :D

For some reason I suddenly thought about Ronnie Spector earlier today. (I don't usually think about Ronnie Spector.) I remembered the story of how John Lennon, being famously smitten with her, once invited her to sit on his knee. She did, but leapt off rather quickly when she discovered quite how smitten he was. Anyway, I've just read now that she's sadly passed away. A coincidence, of course, but I thought it might qualify as very minor strangeness.
We, or at least I, had mentioned Ronnie Jersey on the 'Kennedy' thread yesterday. Maybe that made you think of Ronnie Spector? (A minor strangeness nontheless though).

Earlier this evening I noticed the top three threads when using the New Posts function read as 'out of place animals spotted in humour and jokes'.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 20.12.03.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 20.12.03.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 20
I went to visit a friend this afternoon. She's the one where there are sometimes perfume smells and other odd things happening.
Today she said that last night she had arranged a vase of flowers to her liking( she used to be a florist) and this morning they were all rearranged, with certain ones all bunched together.

Yesterday I had taken 4 sleeping bags out of the linen press as we never use them.
I put each in the dryer although they were perfectly clean and as they had fluffed up had to squeeze them back into their bags.
One bag tore down the bottom and I thought that I would fix it today before I took them down to my friend..
I brought them out today and picked up the red bag which had torn yesterday.The bag was now inside out and there was no tear.

From Twitter, not me:

Pim de Groot
@mifune
The shockwave from the vulcanic eruption in Tonga also passed my house and was captured by my home climate monitoring
1642364196445.png

Pim de Groot
@mifune
Not as clear as the first shockwave, but it seems like another shockwave passed around 2:30. Which is what I expected for the wave from the other side, based on the speed of the 1st one.
1642364243039.png

So, I have an old framed picture of my grandad which I keep on a small filing cabinet. The cabinet's only for storage so I very seldom use it.

I originally had the picture so it was facing directly forward - but began to notice over time it always seemed to be facing into the room. Like it has turned 45 degrees in a clockwise direction. For months I just assumed I was accidentally bumping into the cabinet or something, and this was moving it. Then one day I noticed it had shifted around again and was facing back into the room. I was absolutely certain this time I had been nowhere near it all day. So, a few weeks ago, I straightened it again one morning and kept an eye an on it throughout the day. I was tiptoeing around it and making sure I didn’t knock the cabinet or anything.

Sure enough over the course of the day it was very slowly turning clockwise from its original position until eventually it was facing where I sit. I have noticed it happening ever since. Sometimes it will have very noticeably moved in just a few hours. Other times it will have turned very slowly across a few days. In fact, it has actually happened again today. I straightened the picture in the morning about 9 and now at 4 it has turned 45 degrees or so and is facing towards me. I am in the same room but about 10 or 12 feet away right on the other side. I very rarely walk immediately past the picture or open/close the cabinet. I’m on a main road but the house is set back from traffic. There’s a small pen on the cabinet which doesn’t move. Nothing else around the cabinet moves at all.

Rationally it must be me moving around the house that somehow does it. But I am now very conscious of being careful around the picture and it still moves. It really is baffling me!

I expect there are rational explanations for it moving other than the possibility of it being interfered with by some non-corporeal manifestation.
Vibrations from equipment such as a washing machine or 'warm air' blower fan can propagate a wave form in the surrounding building structure and furniture which can affect small items causing them to move. This was explored and proved (IIRC) by the movement of a small statue in a display case in some museum somewhere (sorry, yet again my usual level of research).
Try replacing the picture with a similar one to see if that one also moves.
Try putting a mousemat beneath the picture which would act to absorb vibrations.
Try moving the picture to a different location to see if it still moves.
Try placing a sheet of paper with some sort of dust on it (flour, dry poster paint, etc) on the filing cabinet and place the picture on it, to see if a movement pattern becomes evident.
And keep cats out of the room!

I expect there are rational explanations for it moving other than the possibility of it being interfered with by some non-corporeal manifestation.
Vibrations from equipment such as a washing machine or 'warm air' blower fan can propagate a wave form in the surrounding building structure and furniture which can affect small items causing them to move. This was explored and proved (IIRC) by the movement of a small statue in a display case in some museum somewhere (sorry, yet again my usual level of research).
Try replacing the picture with a similar one to see if that one also moves.
Try putting a mousemat beneath the picture which would act to absorb vibrations.
Try moving the picture to a different location to see if it still moves.
Try placing a sheet of paper with some sort of dust on it (flour, dry poster paint, etc) on the filing cabinet and place the picture on it, to see if a movement pattern becomes evident.
And keep cats out of the room!
Oh, I agree - but I would say it definitely happens on days when the washing machine hasn't been used. There's no cat or warm air fan either! It also seems to take a few days off from moving every so often.

This may not be of any interest, but this is how it moved on the day I first realised it was doing it...

E6C193F3-1B67-4D65-AE7A-6D4E47B1C198.jpeg011322D9-9130-4288-98EB-60EB34B008A4.jpeg0EF702CC-A275-44F4-A8EF-8D0A77E125D0.jpegAD67A8E3-4C91-4920-9E3F-3B9EA086481E.jpeg

And this is how it generally ends up after a day or so...

7ED36E44-D320-4E04-AE5D-9A421B87B8CC.jpeg

Oh, I agree - but I would say it definitely happens on days when the washing machine hasn't been used. There's no cat or warm air fan either! It also seems to take a few days off from moving every so often.

This may not be of any interest, but this is how it moved on the day I first realised it was doing it...

And this is how it generally ends up after a day or so...

If you just left it, will it fall off? (If you fancy experimenting, I'd recommend putting a cushion under its projected landing area!)

So, I have an old framed picture of my grandad which I keep on a small filing cabinet. The cabinet's only for storage so I very seldom use it.

I originally had the picture so it was facing directly forward - but began to notice over time it always seemed to be facing into the room. Like it has turned 45 degrees in a clockwise direction. For months I just assumed I was accidentally bumping into the cabinet or something, and this was moving it. Then one day I noticed it had shifted around again and was facing back into the room. I was absolutely certain this time I had been nowhere near it all day. So, a few weeks ago, I straightened it again one morning and kept an eye an on it throughout the day. I was tiptoeing around it and making sure I didn’t knock the cabinet or anything.

Sure enough over the course of the day it was very slowly turning clockwise from its original position until eventually it was facing where I sit. I have noticed it happening ever since. Sometimes it will have very noticeably moved in just a few hours. Other times it will have turned very slowly across a few days. In fact, it has actually happened again today. I straightened the picture in the morning about 9 and now at 4 it has turned 45 degrees or so and is facing towards me. I am in the same room but about 10 or 12 feet away right on the other side. I very rarely walk immediately past the picture or open/close the cabinet. I’m on a main road but the house is set back from traffic. There’s a small pen on the cabinet which doesn’t move. Nothing else around the cabinet moves at all.

Rationally it must be me moving around the house that somehow does it. But I am now very conscious of being careful around the picture and it still moves. It really is baffling me!
We have a small clock on a shelf under the tv that also does that, although I do now know what causes it. It's due to a very waggy tail of a certain dog.

@OrsonSwells, have you moved it to another room? See if it moves there. And, if so, is it in the same direction? When did you first note that this was happening? If recently, has something changed in area? You say that you do have some traffic, but not lots. Are there large vehicles travelling nearby that don' t regularly?

This week I had an appliance break down at home.

I have an insurance policy, and this resulted in the company sending an engineer to have a look.

I got a text message the day before, telling me that an engineer would be coming, and it had their first name (only) which was female.
This is unusual, but I didn't pay it any particular attention.

The engineer turned up, and quickly assessed what was wrong and what needed to be done.

Whilst she was in my property I had a very strong vibe from her that made me think of football.
Just a general vibe, she looked and spoke like a lot of female footballers.

The only subject we discussed was the broken appliance.

Anyway, today I googled her first name (I did not know her surname) and the word "footballers" as a search term, which is a bit of a weird thing to do.....but anyway.......

....she came up top of the list, as actually being a current player for one of England's top teams.

They evidently they don't pay as much as the top mens teams.... by a long chalk.

Last edited:
Back