• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

it definitely happens on days when the washing machine hasn't been used. There's no cat or warm air fan either! It also seems to take a few days off from moving every so often.

It may be something like traffic vibrations or nearby construction, not necessarily from vibrations generated in the direct vicinity.

Could the days it moves less be the weekend, when traffic might be lighter?

@OrsonSwells, have you moved it to another room? See if it moves there. And, if so, is it in the same direction? When did you first note that this was happening? If recently, has something changed in area? You say that you do have some traffic, but not lots. Are there large vehicles travelling nearby that don' t regularly?
No, I don't think so. I think it's been happening for months maybe years without me realising.
It may be something like traffic vibrations or nearby construction, not necessarily from vibrations generated in the direct vicinity.

Could the days it moves less be the weekend, when traffic might be lighter?
It's a good thought, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Could it be happening when you close a door and the air flow that that often causes?
I'll look out for that, but I tend to leave the door slightly open if anything to be honest.
Try a bit of Blu Tac and fasten it to the surface. If it's a polter, see how it copes with that. If it still moves, you know you might have a bit of a problem.
I'm going to try it on a different surface today and see what happens then. If it still moves I will try the Blue Tac tip.

The bus I took home last night has a stop outside a pizzeria. A guy got on there carrying a pizza in a box. Nothing unusual about that... except when I was getting ready to get off the bus, I noticed the pizza box was from a pizzeria about six miles away. There's a bus route that passes by that place, but the spot where it intersects the route we were on is more than a mile from where he got on.

The bus I took home last night has a stop outside a pizzeria. A guy got on there carrying a pizza in a box. Nothing unusual about that... except when I was getting ready to get off the bus, I noticed the pizza box was from a pizzeria about six miles away. There's a bus route that passes by that place, but the spot where it intersects the route we were on is more than a mile from where he got on.
Maybe the pizza place next to the stop is naff and the other one serves his fave pizzas or he works there. Or was the pizza box carrying something other than a pizza and was used as a disguise:thought:

Maybe just trying to gaslight passers by? :) We never did it but a friend of mine I used to go hillwalking with always said we should take all our food up to the top of the hill in McDonalds containers and tell people there was one just over the hill. :chuckle:

The gaslight theory is possible, but I didn't get that vibe. I really doubt the idea that he was just going home from work or a better restaurant, since it would be much easier for him to use the official transfer point between routes while carrying a large box horizontally at his hip.

Other theories:

He was dropped off by a friend giving him a ride halfway home. This is on shaky ground because it would have been more practical to drop him off further north, which would have been further along the bus route. It would make sense only if he was trying to catch either of two routes that stop there and have the same destination, but travel some distance apart for most of their runs. The destination is quite some distance away in Jamaica, Queens, with access to the subway system. If he was going to Jamaica or somewhere down the subway line, the pizza would be VERY cold by the time he got home.

He had business near where he got on. Again, this would be awkward carrying the box, and the pizza would be frozen at the end.

The gaslight theory is possible, but I didn't get that vibe. I really doubt the idea that he was just going home from work or a better restaurant, since it would be much easier for him to use the official transfer point between routes while carrying a large box horizontally at his hip.

Other theories:

He was dropped off by a friend giving him a ride halfway home. This is on shaky ground because it would have been more practical to drop him off further north, which would have been further along the bus route. It would make sense only if he was trying to catch either of two routes that stop there and have the same destination, but travel some distance apart for most of their runs. The destination is quite some distance away in Jamaica, Queens, with access to the subway system. If he was going to Jamaica or somewhere down the subway line, the pizza would be VERY cold by the time he got home.

He had business near where he got on. Again, this would be awkward carrying the box, and the pizza would be frozen at the end.

Speaking as an ex-pizza store manager, the most likely explanations are...

The stores use the same box supplier, were accidentally delivered a batch with the wrong artwork, and nobody noticed.

Or,

The store ran out of boxes in that size and borrowed some from another store.

Or some other equally boring business scenario.

Other theories:

Or - pizza boxes in one region all generally come from the same supplier. I have known stores that didn't care that bought overage bags and boxes at a discount that had someone else's name on them, or bought some cheap and held them for emergencies. The pizza did not necessarily come from the store with the name on the box. On a tangent, I have been told by someone familiar with the industry that ALL Chinese restaurant supplies in the US come from one of two suppliers, one east of the Mississippi and one west . Which explains why all of the restaurants on your state have the same containers and the same menus. I also worked with someone whose husband printed the menu's for the eastern supplier. Enterprise at its best.

Enterprise at its best.
No, that would be 'Starve Trek' - doth anyone remember it?
I recall it ran through several iterations in various alternative comics.
I remember in one issue the 'enterprise' was drawn differently in each panel, in one of which the 'saucer' section of the ship was expertly drawn as a giant pizza.
1642960213126.png

1642960195864.png

The stores use the same box supplier, were accidentally delivered a batch with the wrong artwork, and nobody noticed.

Or,

The store ran out of boxes in that size and borrowed some from another store.

Or some other equally boring business scenario.
Or - pizza boxes in one region all generally come from the same supplier. I have known stores that didn't care that bought overage bags and boxes at a discount that had someone else's name on them, or bought some cheap and held them for emergencies. The pizza did not necessarily come from the store with the name on the box.
All of these are reasonable explanations, except I happened to pass by the place around noon the next day and they had a HUGE supply of their own boxes in that size. I suppose they had a few of the other store's on hand that they wanted to get rid of, or they just got the new boxes in that morning and had time to assemble them, but I doubt it.

I tried pizza once as a kid and decided I hated it - think it was the savoury pastry that was so horrible, rather than the filling. I tried it a second time in my 30's and it actually wasn't too bad, tastebuds had obviously changed over time.
30 minutes later I had a tummy ache, as if I eaten something that didn't agree with me. :dunno:

I tried pizza once as a kid and decided I hated it - think it was the savoury pastry that was so horrible, rather than the filling. I tried it a second time in my 30's and it actually wasn't too bad, tastebuds had obviously changed over time.
30 minutes later I had a tummy ache, as if I eaten something that didn't agree with me. :dunno:
I didn't eat pizza at all until I was 28, because it had cheese on it (and I really hate cheese).
Then one day, I tried it and liked it! Because pizzas are made with tasteless cheese.

I can imagine things downstairs would get quite lively though, especially if the toppings were of the correct variety.

I really dislike the bases of pizza so this would suit me perfectly.
So, Mytho hates cheese and you hate pizza bases? (Unless you're referring to those crappy frozen ones, in which case I would agree with you), I think you've both gone quite insane!

So, Mytho hates cheese and you hate pizza bases? (Unless you're referring to those crappy frozen ones, in which case I would agree with you), I think you've both gone quite insane!
I hate to say it, but I'm not that keen on bread. And pizza bases are always too doughy and bready for me. Oh, and I don't like tomato sauce either. So, basically, I'm here for the cheese.

I hate to say it, but I'm not that keen on bread. And pizza bases are always too doughy and bready for me. Oh, and I don't like tomato sauce either. So, basically, I'm here for the cheese.
Try pizza in Italy... the pizzas I have eaten in Naples and Positano are the best I've ever eaten, they are a different beast entirely and cannot remotely be compared with UK pizzas.

Try pizza in Italy... the pizzas I have eaten in Naples and Positano are the best I've ever eaten, they are a different beast entirely and cannot remotely be compared with UK pizzas.
Oh yes, I'd probably like those. But stuck in Yorkshire, the opportunity for tasty pizza is....limited, shall we say.

Sounding better by the minute
It did occur to me that you might appear with a liking for a cauliflower based pizza, with maybe a brussels sprouts and broccoli topping.
For some reason I thought it'd be right up your Strasse.

It did occur to me that you might appear with a liking for a cauliflower based pizza, with maybe a brussels sprouts and broccoli topping.
For some reason I thought it'd be right up your Strasse.
Shudder. Abomination. We need a pizza inquisition urgently.

Shudder. Abomination. We need a pizza inquisition urgently.
Calm down, nobody's mentioned... pineapple! :omg:

When I lived in Hungary, a country not famed for its warm embrace of vegetarian cuisine, a 'vegetarian' pizza meant one with vegetables on.
Carrots, broccoli, possibly a Yorkshire pudding and some stuffing.

Back