• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I didn't eat pizza at all until I was 28, because it had cheese on it (and I really hate cheese).
Then one day, I tried it and liked it! Because pizzas are made with tasteless cheese.
'Marinara' is a very famous Naples pizza that doesn't have cheese at all, so that would perhaps suit you. Simon will have had the authentic one from there I'm sure.
(Richard E. Grant was recently in Naples eating one on 'Write around the World' tv series, as he too hates cheese. And chocolate. And alcohol).

Try pizza in Italy... the pizzas I have eaten in Naples and Positano are the best I've ever eaten, they are a different beast entirely and cannot remotely be compared with UK pizzas.
SO true. :)
In Herculaneum the remains of ancient catering arrangements are completely recognisable, especially what looked like stone-built modern pizza ovens.
We later had pizzas cooked in front of us in similar ovens. Made us want to march about and throw people to the lions.

'Marinara' is a very famous Naples pizza that doesn't have cheese at all, so that would perhaps suit you. Simon will have had the authentic one from there I'm sure.
(Richard E. Grant was recently in Naples eating one on 'Write around the World' tv series, as he too hates cheese. And chocolate. And alcohol).
Absolutely! No cheese and it still tastes great!

In Herculaneum the remains of ancient catering arrangements are completely recognisable, especially what looked like stone-built modern pizza ovens.
We later had pizzas cooked in front of us in similar ovens. Made us want to march about and throw people to the lions.
So everyone has been to Italy apart from me. Typical.

No, I don't think so. I think it's been happening for months maybe years without me realising.

It's a good thought, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll look out for that, but I tend to leave the door slightly open if anything to be honest.

I'm going to try it on a different surface today and see what happens then. If it still moves I will try the Blue Tac tip.
Any news OS?

Last time I went in a Little Chef the kitchen facilities reminded me a lot of Skara Brae:)

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

Careful. A poster on another board mentioned how you can blag holidays abroad by pretending to be interested in buying a timeshare.
You get a free all-inclusive break with just one session of hard-selling. He reckoned he'd done that loads of times. (Yeah COURSE he had.)

Assuming he was making it up I said 'Ooh, I might give that a go!' and he pestered me forthwith about the foreign holiday I'd promised to accompany him on.
He was given concise and specific advice about sex and travel which didn't strangely put him off and he threatened to turn up on the doorstep with tickets and his suitcase.
If he'd carried that out Techy'd've handed him something else to pack, like a broken nose. :chuckle:

I haven't either. But, as I'm not a huge fan of pizza and I really don't like pasta....

Hold onto your hats but I don't like potatoes much either. So added to the bread thing - I really struggle with carbs.

I haven't either. But, as I'm not a huge fan of pizza and I really don't like pasta....

Hold onto your hats but I don't like potatoes much either. So added to the bread thing - I really struggle with carbs.
Do you reckon you could survive on ice cream?

All this talk of pizza; so I bought two readymade bases from Lidl. They are the best pre-made ones I've ever purchased. They actually bend and flex unlike the rigid 'cardboard' rubbish I've had from Sainsburys etc. And they're a reasonably decent size ie 12".

Any news OS?
Well, I did move it to another place - on top of my record player which is on top of a small table - and, yes, it has continued to move around although maybe slightly slower than before. I'm not sure what that proves though! It could still be from me moving about the room, I suppose. Anyway, as it doesn't really bother me, I've decided just to return it to its normal place and let it move around there!

Last edited:
Well, I did move it to another place - on top of my record player which is on top of a small table - and, yes, it has continued to move around although maybe slightly slower than before. I'm not sure what that proves though! It could still be from me moving about the room, I suppose. Anyway, as it doesn't really bother me, I've decided just to return it to its normal place and let it move around there!
Did it still move in a direction to face you?

So I keep on getting woken up by phantom alarm clock sounds.

I still use an old fashioned alarm clock (deal with it). I usually set it for a certain time in the morning when I have to be getting up. However, there are some mornings when I judge that I can afford a bit of a lie in and I move the alarm forward to a later time in the morning. Or, if I am feeling under the weather, and don't have a morning class I might not set the alarm at all.

Yet I find that I am being woken by an apparent sound of the alarm - but one which is not the real alarm clock at all. Nor does it sound at the time when the alarm would be expected to (my initial assumption being that my `subconscious`` was filling in, as it were, for the absent alarm clock). Sometimes I `hear` an alarm sound at, say, five in the morning! And I've noticed that the sound doesn't sound the same as my alarm clock - it's like a kind of analogue alarm clock sound, different in pitch and tone.

Only this morning I heard the ring (don't know what hour it was) and I lay in bed listening to it for a short moment before it seemed to fade out - as though someone were turning the volume dial down.

Why is my subconscious gaslighting me like this?

So I keep on getting woken up by phantom alarm clock sounds.

I still use an old fashioned alarm clock (deal with it). I usually set it for a certain time in the morning when I have to be getting up. However, there are some mornings when I judge that I can afford a bit of a lie in and I move the alarm forward to a later time in the morning. Or, if I am feeling under the weather, and don't have a morning class I might not set the alarm at all.

Yet I find that I am being woken by an apparent sound of the alarm - but one which is not the real alarm clock at all. Nor does it sound at the time when the alarm would be expected to (my initial assumption being that my `subconscious`` was filling in, as it were, for the absent alarm clock). Sometimes I `hear` an alarm sound at, say, five in the morning! And I've noticed that the sound doesn't sound the same as my alarm clock - it's like a kind of analogue alarm clock sound, different in pitch and tone.

Only this morning I heard the ring (don't know what hour it was) and I lay in bed listening to it for a short moment before it seemed to fade out - as though someone were turning the volume dial down.

Why is my subconscious gaslighting me like this?
I'm sure Russian building are very well built, but could it be from next door? Our joining wall is so thin (4''/100mm thick) brick and you can hear things like that very easily.

Back