• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

So after waiting patiently for my new pants elastic to arrive I bought something similar from the haberdashery and applied it yesterday. That's five pairs of pants rebungee'd to start with.

Wore a pair for work - my favourite old red lucky pants, in fact - and can report that the operation was successful. :cool:

However, there will be no celebratory photos. Y'all don't want that in your lives. :chuckle:

We have a short discussion elsewhere about knicker elastic. It's called that because holding up women's underwear was one of its earliest and most important uses. Before that, we had to rely on inconvenient drawstrings.

The haberdasher knew immediately what I wanted when I asked for lingerie elastic; lacy, to be directly attached with no need for a casing. :cool:

So after waiting patiently for my new pants elastic to arrive I bought something similar from the haberdashery and applied it yesterday. That's five pairs of pants rebungee'd to start with.

Wore a pair for work - my favourite old red lucky pants, in fact - and can report that the operation was successful. :cool:

However, there will be no celebratory photos. Y'all don't want that in your lives. :chuckle:

We have a short discussion elsewhere about knicker elastic. It's called that because holding up women's underwear was one of its earliest and most important uses. Before that, we had to rely on inconvenient drawstrings.

The haberdasher knew immediately what I wanted when I asked for lingerie elastic; lacy, to be directly attached with no need for a casing. :cool:
Ooh, get you, lacy pants! I'd get lace attached to mine, only it would scratch my neck and ankles too much.

Ooh, get you, lacy pants! I'd get lace attached to mine, only it would scratch my neck and ankles too much.
:rofl:

Pfft, you don't know the 'alf of it.
Caught myself today reaching down the back of my jeans to tug the pants back up as if they were slipping. They weren't, they couldn't, so it must be a habit I've slipped into.
Dear God, what have I become? :dunno:

:rofl:

Pfft, you don't know the 'alf of it.
Caught myself today reaching down the back of my jeans to tug the pants back up as if they were slipping. They weren't, they couldn't, so it must be a habit I've slipped into.
Dear God, what have I become? :dunno:
You've turned into a knicker-fondler.

If you were a nudist, Escargot, you wouldn't have to worry about pants elastic—or epithets volunteered by Trev666!
Freedom snail.jpg

Woke up with a black eye! o_O

Seems to be an 'allergic shiner', from a spot of sinus trouble.
Techy said 'I've told you once!'

An old story that appeared in FT. It was back in 1975. A man out walking described seeing a big hairy animal that he said was a bear. Not surprisingly nothing was found.
Them woods can be pretty sinister. Ghost of a medieval bear! There are often, nowadays, I dunno about then, cattle or sheep wandering through the trees and I've seen a few deer. In the height of lockdowns, we went for a walk there with one of the sons and he got mesmerised by some Highland cattle - this big un just stared and stared at him. I legged it, but he went closer. Not that you'd mistake one of them for a bear. Love that, though - wonder if there's any way I can find it (the story, I mean, not the bear)?

Them woods can be pretty sinister. Ghost of a medieval bear! There are often, nowadays, I dunno about then, cattle or sheep wandering through the trees and I've seen a few deer. In the height of lockdowns, we went for a walk there with one of the sons and he got mesmerised by some Highland cattle - this big un just stared and stared at him. I legged it, but he went closer. Not that you'd mistake one of them for a bear. Love that, though - wonder if there's any way I can find it (the story, I mean, not the bear)?
Some years ago an Australian film crew turned up in a neighbouring village investigating a tradition that had been passed down in some family in Australia that a local wood was haunted by a ghost bear. The locals had never heard of it. If true, the tale had died out locally but been passed down through the generations abroad. It's now firmly embedded in the local ghost books though!

Husband wears a hearing aid and was on a quest for a while for "soft" elastic to make masks as they keep falling off his ears. Surprisingly hard to track down elastic that is knicker elastic width but comfortable in a mask although we did manage to get some - and then of course omnicromer made homemade masks redundant as he's had to switch to the KN 95s, as he works with disease vectors (kids).

Some years ago an Australian film crew turned up in a neighbouring village investigating a tradition that had been passed down in some family in Australia that a local wood was haunted by a ghost bear. The locals had never heard of it. If true, the tale had died out locally but been passed down through the generations abroad. It's now firmly embedded in the local ghost books though!
Ghost bears must be a thing! If you think about it, it would be pretty annoying being deliberately wiped out as a species. I'd haunt someone.

ETA: Thinking about it some more, maybe that hairy being was a wodwo? They've almost fallen out of the culture (apart from the Ted Hughes poem).

Husband wears a hearing aid and was on a quest for a while for "soft" elastic to make masks as they keep falling off his ears. Surprisingly hard to track down elastic that is knicker elastic width but comfortable in a mask although we did manage to get some - and then of course omnicromer made homemade masks redundant as he's had to switch to the KN 95s, as he works with disease vectors (kids).
When I made masks I used toning soft hair ties for the ear-loops.

However, at work we have the mass-produced ones and I wear home-made ear-savers with them.

While they are mind-numbingly boring to make I did get to use the robotic button-setting on my flashy new machine so it wasn't all bad. :chuckle:

Ghost bears must be a thing! If you think about it, it would be pretty annoying being deliberately wiped out as a species. I'd haunt someone.

ETA: Thinking about it some more, maybe that hairy being was a wodwo? They've almost fallen out of the culture (apart from the Ted Hughes poem).
Yup, the Cheshire town of Congleton has a long association with bears after allegedly selling the town Bible to buy one for public entertainment. Townsfolk love bears though and are proud of the legend.
They celebrate their bear and don't believe it bears a grudge.

Isn't there supposed to be the ghost of a bear on Hackney Marshes?

Yup, the Cheshire town of Congleton has a long association with bears after allegedly selling the town Bible to buy one for public entertainment. Townsfolk love bears though and are proud of the legend.
I've barely heard about any other stories like this.

More than just ghosts, apparently. (This isn’t by/ about me, it’s a post from a forum l found):

“I remember it. I was one of the 2 PCs that were sent to confirm that two bodies were floating in the canal next to the lockkeepers cottage. at the top of Millfields. At first we couldn't determine that they weren't human because they were skinned and headless. Where the paws had been skinned they looked like fingers and toes. They were both bandy legged and heavy chested. You might think " How can a copper not tell whether something is human " but believe me bodies look very peculiar when they've been in the water for some time. Often bloated and bandy. However we called a police surgeon who thought they were animal but he didn't know what type. We couldn't get close to the bodies so we kept them pulled in to the side with a pair of barge poles. Eventually it was confirmed that they were bears. Enquiries were made at the circus which was nearby but there was no evidence that they had anything to do with it. the most probable theory was that it was the work of a taxidermist, but that was just a guess. However somewhere someone was missing two bears. You would think that someone would notice. Then a while later ( I can't recall whether it was days or weeks ) a young boy reported a sighting of a bear on the marshes. It was taken seriously because of the two bodies that had been found in the canal. So a thorough search of the marshes was undertaken and a helicopter was used. No spoor was found so it was concluded that the lad was mistaken. A few months later I became the homebeat officer covering Millfields and Chatsworth Road. I got to know the lad who had reported the sighting of the bear and I am pretty sure it was a hoax that went too far and that he was scared to admit it when he saw the amount of police that had been deployed. I hope this helps even if it is 15 years after your original post.”

https://www.urban75.net/forums/thre...lea-near-hackney-marshes.66632/#post-16838365

maximus otter

I'll look it up in my back issues of FT. Oh and there is also the sighting of a lion in Thorganby, I'll dig that one out as well. I recently dug that one out for a friend who lives at Crockey Hill.

I'll look it up in my back issues of FT. Oh and there is also the sighting of a lion in Thorganby, I'll dig that one out as well. I recently dug that one out for a friend who lives at Crockey Hill.
Oh that is fabulous. Thank you! I'd really enjoy that. Thorganby lion, too! Love it. Now I want to go to Skipwith.

My new lingerie elastic has arrived. Irritatingly, it's wound on the spool the wrong way and I'll have to rewind it before use.

This is because the elastic has a right and wrong side. You sew the right side to the right side of your garment so it stands up against the body in use and the pretty side shows. :chuckle:

Right, where's my baking sheet? I used it on Sunday, washed it up and thought I'd left it on the draining board. When it wasn't there on Monday I assumed I must have put it away without thinking. But it's not in the cupboard. Nor is it in any of the other cupboards, or the fridge or the oven. I'm out of options.

So which one of you buggers has taken my best baking sheet?

Right, where's my baking sheet? I used it on Sunday, washed it up and thought I'd left it on the draining board. When it wasn't there on Monday I assumed I must have put it away without thinking. But it's not in the cupboard. Nor is it in any of the other cupboards, or the fridge or the oven. I'm out of options.

Does your mutt look a bit shifty?

maximus otter

Ah dammit I thought I could sneak it back in before you noticed. Made lovely jam tarts though thanks.

Talking of all things Cheshire, watching the film Patton, he was seem making a speech to local ladies in Knutsford of all places. This was just after the infamous slapping a soldier incident for which he had to make a public apology. Made a cick up of the speech in Knutsford as well apparently. But why Knutsford one wonders especially at particularly at a critical point in the war.

@Mouldy13 borrowed it. He'll send it back shortly.

Talking of all things Cheshire, watching the film Patton, he was seem making a speech to local ladies in Knutsford of all places. This was just after the infamous slapping a soldier incident for which he had to make a public apology. Made a cick up of the speech in Knutsford as well apparently. But why Knutsford one wonders especially at particularly at a critical point in the war.
Ah, dear Knutsford. The town where the Main Street has pavements deliberately laid to be too narrow for lovers to walk on them hand-in-hand or even side-by-side.

When you drive through you're watching for people dodging on and off the road to overtake slower pedestrians. One boy racer'd wipe the place out.

Ghost bears are bakin'? (As well as brewin')?

Back