Minor Strangeness

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I was once acquainted with woman lady of the female gender who was going out with Jon Moss from Culture Club.

The only time I met him was in his home as he was putting away his laundry. He had Calvin Klein underpants which, if memory serves, were new on the market, so I asked him if they were comfy. He said they were indeed very comfy and offered me a pair to take home.
I declined but in some ways I wish I hadn't.
I'm now imagining if you had .. you'd accepted Jon Moss from Culture Club's pants and you'd asked him to sign them and then you framed them on your wall .... and then your friends would have come round and asked "Why have you got a signed pair of pants on your wall? .. who's the signature?," .. "Oh it's OK, nothing weird ... that's Jon Moss from Culture Club's signature!" ..................... and then your braver friends would have gone "I didn't know you're gay?." .. then you'd have gone "I'm not. And neither is Jon Moss, you're thinking of Boy George. Jon's got a girlfriend!" ... and then your friends would have been left very very confused ..

Swifty

TV presenter wild life enthusiast Chris Packham offered to sell me his shirt once at a careers convention at the NEC in Birmingham when I was 16. Nothing kinky, I met him, asked for his autograph and complimented him on a Hawaiian shirt he was wearing and he randomly said "You can buy it off me if you want?" wtf? .. that was weird so I politely said no but thanks ..

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
The last gentleman with whose underwear I was acquainted wore the most ghastly baggy Y front things, they looked like the sort of pants you put on a newly potty trained toddler boy. Absolutely the least sexy garment ever, in the history of the world. Even less sexy was the glee with which he told me that he bought them in multi-packs from the local street market, because they were so cheap.
And yes, he was tight. Unlike his pants.

Swifty

Some years ago I bought Techy some briefs-type underpants. Y'know, tighty-whities sort of thing except in fetching shades of black and navy blue.

He'd been complaining about manly chafing while playing golf. I told him 'Nobody ever won the Open in boxer shorts!' ;)
I've developed a much less elegant but easier solution to manly chafing years ago Skargs .. I call it 'The Manpon': .. it takes at least 8 sheets of toilet paper still joined together then carefully place them between your arse cheeks if you're, oh I don't know, about to start a work shift in a pro kitchen in the summer time for example .. no need for sudacrem when you get home because of some new rash plus you're left with a solid papier mache cast of the inside of your arse that you can just chuck in the bin or gift to a friend .. or more honestly, forget it's there at all then the next morning wake up and it's just lying there next to you ..

JaneD

JaneD
The last gentleman with whose underwear I was acquainted wore the most ghastly baggy Y front things, they looked like the sort of pants you put on a newly potty trained toddler boy. Absolutely the least sexy garment ever, in the history of the world. Even less sexy was the glee with which he told me that he bought them in multi-packs from the local street market, because they were so cheap.
And yes, he was tight. Unlike his pants.
No score drawers in fact

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I've developed a much less elegant but easier solution to manly chafing years ago Skargs .. I call it 'The Manpon': .. it takes at least 8 sheets of toilet paper still joined together then carefully place them between your arse cheeks if you're, oh I don't know, about to start a work shift in a pro kitchen in the summer time for example .. no need for sudacrem when you get home because of some new rash plus you're left with a solid papier mache cast of the inside of your arse that you can just chuck in the bin or gift to a friend .. or more honestly, forget it's there at all then the next morning wake up and it's just lying there next to you ..

There's also the option of applying a special cream such as Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel.
Not cheap, but possibly more practical than half a roll of Andrex.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

Vaseline is better for chaps.

maximus otter

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
This (everso slightly) reminds me of the time many years ago, when I had a summer cold. In the middle of the night I grabbed what I thought was a hanky that I'd left beside the bed, and blew my nose vigorously, then slept the remainder of the night with the hanky stuffed up my nose.

When I woke in the morning, what I had thought was a hanky was yesterday's knickers, welded to my cheek with a liberal application of snot.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
This (everso slightly) reminds me of the time many years ago, when I had a summer cold. In the middle of the night I grabbed what I thought was a hanky that I'd left beside the bed, and blew my nose vigorously, then slept the remainder of the night with the hanky stuffed up my nose.

When I woke in the morning, what I had thought was a hanky was yesterday's knickers, welded to my cheek with a liberal application of snot.
Now I'll never be able to get that image out of my brain. Thanks for that.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
So this morning I was sat here, using the PC, and it had come over really rather heavily cloudy outside, so I switched on the 'uplighter' standard lamp next to my desk.
I have it fitted with a 8800 lumens (400w) halogen linear R7 bulb. (yes, very bright).
Anyway....suddenly there is a bright flash which I took to be a lightning strike nearby and I thought it had (unusually) knocked out the power because the room went dark, but then I realised it was just the light had gone out - everything else was still working.
I thought that was odd, and that maybe it had been a surge which had caused the bulb to blow.
So I checked with a neighbour who was outside, calling out to them to see if they had seen the lightning flash, and no, they hadn't seen anything, so I assumed it must have been the bulb suddenly flashing, like a flash on a camera.
When I checked the bulb I found that, unlike when they usually blow and the little filament inside is broken and wobbling about inside the glass casing, this time the whole of the glass tube is filled with a grey coloured powder! Most strange.
1650635911774.png

Sid

Justified & Ancient
So this morning I was sat here, using the PC, and it had come over really rather heavily cloudy outside, so I switched on the 'uplighter' standard lamp next to my desk.
I have it fitted with a 8800 lumens (400w) halogen linear R7 bulb. (yes, very bright).
Anyway....suddenly there is a bright flash which I took to be a lightning strike nearby and I thought it had (unusually) knocked out the power because the room went dark, but then I realised it was just the light had gone out - everything else was still working.
I thought that was odd, and that maybe it had been a surge which had caused the bulb to blow.
So I checked with a neighbour who was outside, calling out to them to see if they had seen the lightning flash, and no, they hadn't seen anything, so I assumed it must have been the bulb suddenly flashing, like a flash on a camera.
When I checked the bulb I found that, unlike when they usually blow and the little filament inside is broken and wobbling about inside the glass casing, this time the whole of the glass tube is filled with a grey coloured powder! Most strange.
View attachment 54632
By the look of it, and in my judgement, I think you're gonna need a new one!

Possibly; it might have something to do with the gases, and the amount of moisture inside, and a sudden reaction which may have caused the grey layer to form on the internal sides of the glass tube.

After a little bit of online research ~ have found that it might possibly be something to do with tungsten atoms flying away from the hot filament, which then condenses on the cooler parts of the glass which could be why the grey layer is apparent inside the inner wall of the tube?
P.S.
This explains the process very well. . . (
*see - 'top answer')

https://www.quora.com/After-long-pe...t-develops-on-inside-of-the-bulb-what-is-that

Last edited:

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Brought Stanley Terrier's ashes home today. About 8pm heard him barking outside. Not for just a mo, maybe a minute or so. He had a quite distinctive bark, and although there are a couple of other dogs not too far away I never hear them barking from inside the house.

Just the mind playing tricks I guess. It'd be nice to think he's still on patrol out there though.

Last edited:

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Brought Stanley Terrier's ashes home today. About 8pm heard him barking outside. Not for just a mo, maybe a minute or so. He had a quite distinctive bark, and although there are a couple of other dogs not too far away I never hear them barking from inside the house.

Just the mind playing tricks I guess. It'd be nice to think he's still on patrol out there though.
Well I never I was particularly thinking about you earlier today and wondering how you were after losing your canine companion. I was intending to send you a pm letting you know I was thinking about you. Lo and behold just checking in and here you are with news. How lovely that you heard him barking. :) All the best, Sollywos x

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I think you're gonna need a new one!
Oi stop nicking my position of 'Master of stating the bleedin obvious', lol.

Fortunately I know that these R7 bulbs have a limited lifespan (especially with prolonged use) so I always have a couple of spares in the house.
They aint cheap but I'd rather have some good illumination than sit here in the half-dark.

Reactions: Sid

Sid

Justified & Ancient
Oi stop nicking my position of 'Master of stating the bleedin obvious', lol.

Fortunately I know that these R7 bulbs have a limited lifespan (especially with prolonged use) so I always have a couple of spares in the house.
They aint cheap but I'd rather have some good illumination than sit here in the half-dark.
:sshot: Hah. . . say cheese. . ."Snap!"