Minor Strangeness

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Resistance is futile.
resistamceisfutile.png

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
According to Fox News TV a new fade of men sun tanning their testicles to increased their testosterone levels.

This is called “ Bromeotherapy “ which I had never heard before.

I guess one could call it“ hot nuts “ therapy !

Actually heat decreases sperm production, and that is why the testicles are outside the body.

bugmum

Justified & Ancient
According to Fox News TV a new fade of men sun tanning their testicles to increased their testosterone levels.

Actually heat decreases sperm production, and that is why the testicles are outside the body.
Sounds kinda painful? (Not being in possession of a pair myself.)

michael59

Justified & Incandecent
Minor Strangeness: Tapping from the Floorboards

Just not even ten minutes ago this happened. I was sat reading latest FT in utter silence at my desk, but with my chair facing away from the desk and I was kind of hunkered forwards, arms on my knees. Suddenly from immediately beneath my feet a very clear rapping sound began, exactly like the sound of knuckles on the ceiling of the apartment beneath. It was utterly clear and sounded like someone was stood directly beneath me, tapping the ceiling. I sat up a bit and listened around the flat to see if I was mistaken. Definitely from beneath me.

I was a bit unnerved straight away, which is not like me. The rapping carried on for a few moments and became more intense, not louder but quicker until it got to the point where it was so fast it could not possibly have been made by a person, although the sound still had a very human quality.

By now Im pretty spooked and it took me a while to think about moving out of the chair. I was even worried that I had not locked the door to my place as I had had my hands full coming in. I decided to get a recording device and try and catch the sound. As I turned around on the chair the sound immediately receeded, not in terms of sounding distant but growing slower and fainter.

I stopped in the chair and listened. It came back for a moment more, so that it was as clear as when it had begun, then it was gone.

Where I live is the 2nd floor (as in ground, first, second) and the top floor of the building. There is only one apartment beneath me, the guy is not home, he lives alone. The sound was preceeded and followed by utter silence. My heating was off, not sure about his. But I have lived here for 10 years and never heard anything like it, although the guy downstairs only moved in about 6 months ago.

Immediately afterwards I walked around my flat, looking for an apparent source of the sound for a minute or two when the door from the bar into the hallway audibly clicked itself shut even though I had not come through it. That spooked me even more but I was on tenterhooks by then though, and it could have just been caught on the latch mechanism and waiting to close properly (it never does that though).

Hopefully unconnected but the weekend just gone was the 1st anniversary of the premature death of an acquaintance of mine, and I did a perhaps disrespectful thing on the anniversary, but a thing that was nevertheless better done than not. Hate to sound cryptic. It did occur to me at the time that maybe I was going to invoke some wrath, lets hope this isnt it.

Is the building made of concrete? My building is made of concrete and reinforced steel. The noise travels in the weirdest ways. As minor strangeness would have it there is someone in my building that has a terrible habit of rapping their fingernails on the wall. It is driving us crazy and we can't seem to figure out which apartment it is coming from. It sounds like the person in the apartment next to me and she thought it was me. It's like trying to live with a woodpecker right there in the room with you.

One time there was hammering going on all day. The phone rang and it was the person living below me asking if I could stop hammering for a little while because he really needed to take a nap. I thought it was him who was hammering. I took my cordless phone with him still on it and went floor to floor and found the culprit one floor above me on the opposite side of the building. There had been a fire in that apartment and they gutted it and had to renovate the entire apartment. Sound travels really weird/strange in a concrete building.

kesavaross

Devoted Cultist
I live in a 15 story block flats that has concrete steel reinforced floors, walls, and ceilings. I can testify to the fact that when living in concrete buildings, trying to work out where the sound comes from is impossible.

On an odd note, and similar to the strange rapping noise, I keep hearing a bell ringing as in 'ting, ting' and then silence. Then a few minutes later 'ting, ting' and then silence. It's being going on for about maybe an hour or more. It sounds like it's in my flat. It's not loud but just there. I've checked everywhere. I stood out in the common ways and heard nothing, I asked a neighbour, a night owl, if he could hear it and nope. I've gone back in my flat and then 'ting, ting' a few minutes later and as I type this, I've heard it again.

Weird.

michael59

Justified & Incandecent
I live in a 15 story block flats that has concrete steel reinforced floors, walls, and ceilings. I can testify to the fact that when living in concrete buildings, trying to work out where the sound comes from is impossible.

On an odd note, and similar to the strange rapping noise, I keep hearing a bell ringing as in 'ting, ting' and then silence. Then a few minutes later 'ting, ting' and then silence. It's being going on for about maybe an hour or more. It sounds like it's in my flat. It's not loud but just there. I've checked everywhere. I stood out in the common ways and heard nothing, I asked a neighbour, a night owl, if he could hear it and nope. I've gone back in my flat and then 'ting, ting' a few minutes later and as I type this, I've heard it again.

Weird.

It could be as simple as someones microwave oven that someone has left something in. Mine waits 30 seconds and then beep, beep, to remind that what you were heating in there is ready. It will continue to go off every 30 seconds until you open the door.

kesavaross

Devoted Cultist
This sound has a small bell type sound to it or perhaps like someone tapping a wine glass with a spoon. Sometimes the two 'tings' were one after the other and sometimes a few seconds apart. Sometime the interval was a few minutes and sometimes it was over 10 minutes.

It was a sound I've never heard in my flat before and it wasn't the washing machine or the fridge and I don't have a microwave. I checked each room and it seemed to be slightly louder in the hallway near the front door. It was still going when I went to bed at 2.30am but had stopped by the time I got up at 7.45am.

Later I'll ask the neighbours upstairs and downstairs. It was certainly intriguing.

brownmane

off kilter
This conversation reminds me of something I realized the other day as unusual.

Of course I only hear this during warmer months as that is when I will just hang out on my back deck. Whenever (during mid morning, I think, but now I'll have to pay more attention) I am on my deck, I hear a phone ringing somewhere in the distance. I live in a residential area with houses around me, and just a couple of streets over is a commercial area with a car dealership within two blocks of me.

It suddenly occurred to me when I mentioned it to a neighbour, that it is odd because I hear the ringing almost every time I'm on my deck and this has been happening for several years. My neighbour suggested that it might be the dealership's phones, but even so, why do I hear it every time and the "phone" is never picked up ie it doesn't abruptly stop ringing.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
It suddenly occurred to me when I mentioned it to a neighbour, that it is odd because I hear the ringing almost every time I'm on my deck and this has been happening for several years. My neighbour suggested that it might be the dealership's phones, but even so, why do I hear it every time and the "phone" is never picked up ie it doesn't abruptly stop ringing.
Might be parked up mini cab drivers and their phones on loud speaker, or a neighbour using Skype?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... It suddenly occurred to me when I mentioned it to a neighbour, that it is odd because I hear the ringing almost every time I'm on my deck and this has been happening for several years. My neighbour suggested that it might be the dealership's phones, but even so, why do I hear it every time and the "phone" is never picked up ie it doesn't abruptly stop ringing.

I once lived near a car dealership, years ago. It was common to let the dealership phone ring over an intercom system so salespersons outdoors on the sales lot would know someone was calling. It was also common for people out on the lot to ignore the ringing.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
"Bromeotherapy" sounds like a combination of "Bro" mashed with "Romeo" + "therapy."
"Bro" has negative connotations for me, as in "Tech Bro" and "Frat Bro."
"Bromeo" would be related to "Bromance."
Besides being a name for modern snake oil and a way to develop skin cancer on one's privates, "Bromeotherapy" sounds like another term coined in order to mock those who use it.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
"Bromeotherapy" sounds like a combination of "Bro" mashed with "Romeo" + "therapy."
"Bro" has negative connotations for me, as in "Tech Bro" and "Frat Bro."
"Bromeo" would be related to "Bromance."
Besides being a name for modern snake oil and a way to develop skin cancer on one's privates, "Bromeotherapy" sounds like another term coined in order to mock those who use it.
Please don't used the word 'mashed' when talking about testicles. It brings back the term 'mashed naggers' and makes me wince.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers

They...they seriously think this works? I mean, seriously?

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Na but there will be money earned or should I say screwed out of
people selling accessory's, you know the kind of thing,

""Knacker Lacquer adds lustre to the cluster"

and no doubt other useless but expensive odds n sods.

kesavaross

Devoted Cultist
So has the noise stopped now?
Yes, I never heard it again after that evening/night. The light bulb being on it's way out seems the most likely cause. It was odd it seemed louder near my front door and it carried on after I turned off the lamp and went to bed.

Maybe that wasn't the cause. Maybe it was. It seems a strange coincidence though. Who knows?

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
It's midnight here. pitch black outside and I just hard seagulls fighting in the lane way out back of my building.

I have always known seagulls to fly in flocks toward the setting sun every night until it's time to fly south for winter.
Maybe they are nesting nearby? Where I live, seagulls build their own rooftop village and live there over summer, ascended over the rest of us. I imagine it is a bit like the chimney scene in Mary Poppins only a lot louder.

michael59

Justified & Incandecent
I don't think they nest around here. It's way too busy an area. The more I think about it the more I believe it was just one seagull that I was hearing. I'm thinking that maybe it was injured and couldn't make the journey. There are a lot of stray cats around here. Maybe a cat found it hiding somewhere? I doubt a cat could harm a healthy seagull and I do believe the noise they make would frighten a cat away. I guess it would depend on how injured it was. I haven't heard anything since those initial cries.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Earphones have suddenly stopped working on the pc. Tried a new pair and checked all the settings- everything is as it should be there. Bloody annoying.