Minor Strangeness

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
I stand on the kiosk in our supermarket, facing the doors. The huge glass windows that surround the shop are giving rise to the whole 'Pepper's Ghost' phenomenon all the time, so it looks as though cars parked in our car park are actually parked in the vet's car park across the road. The cars look absolutely real and solid, as though the are just parked at a slightly odd angle over at the vet's, and I only realise that I'm looking at a kind of double reflection when a car pulls out and drives directly through the car park barriers and onto the main road. It is driving out of OUR car park. i know what it is, but it still gives me a moment of weirdness, when I watch someone get out of their car, but instead of crossing the main road to our shop, they walk in through the door from the opposite side.

bugmum

Justified & Ancient
I'm on a week off (yay!) and taking the opportunity to update my music lists. The In House GP (also off this week) is using his Mac so I couldn't start stealing music off his playlist; he brought down the CD drive and suggested I rip a couple of new CDs in the meantime. Except that we couldn't find the whatnot that connects the CD drive to my laptop. It should have been in the drawer upstairs, but IHGP looked and couldn't find it, then I looked and couldn't find it. I checked the Welsh dresser drawers, the kitchen miscellaneous drawer, even the odds and sods drawer in the display cabinet, but no sign of it.
"Might as well put the drive away," said the IHGP. I'd put it back in the box when I suddenly wondered whether the whatnot had slipped down the back of the drawer it was supposed to be in, so I pulled it out and rummaged around behind it as best as I could without success. Then I started re-fitting the drawer onto its runners, and when I glanced down, there's the whatnot lying there innocently. I'm sure it was there all along, but odd that it took 3 trips to the drawer to actually see it.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
It's weird isn't it when you can't see something that is there later?
The other morning I went out to get the newspaper from the drive and couldn't find it so thought they must be late. I started to go back inside and saw the plastic cover shining in the light right where I had just walked.
Now given I'm taking smaller steps and using a stick at the moment and I'd walked over that spot twice I wonder why I couldn't see it?

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
I'm on a week off (yay!) and taking the opportunity to update my music lists. The In House GP (also off this week) is using his Mac so I couldn't start stealing music off his playlist; he brought down the CD drive and suggested I rip a couple of new CDs in the meantime. Except that we couldn't find the whatnot that connects the CD drive to my laptop. It should have been in the drawer upstairs, but IHGP looked and couldn't find it, then I looked and couldn't find it. I checked the Welsh dresser drawers, the kitchen miscellaneous drawer, even the odds and sods drawer in the display cabinet, but no sign of it.
"Might as well put the drive away," said the IHGP. I'd put it back in the box when I suddenly wondered whether the whatnot had slipped down the back of the drawer it was supposed to be in, so I pulled it out and rummaged around behind it as best as I could without success. Then I started re-fitting the drawer onto its runners, and when I glanced down, there's the whatnot lying there innocently. I'm sure it was there all along, but odd that it took 3 trips to the drawer to actually see it.
Why am I hearing your post in Kenneth Williams' voice when I read this?

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
Was it perhaps coiled into a shape that you weren't expecting or something? I get an idea of the shape or colour of the thing I am looking for, and if I imagine the screwdriver (for example) to be red, I am completely unable to see the ORANGE screwdriver in front of me. My inability to see a sink plunger if it is lying down on its side, is legendary.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
It seems in our house when my wife and I drop something on the floor, the item seems to travels father than it should.

Sitting at the tablet we eat at, she dropped her blood pressure tablet on the table and it bounced across the table and took a bounce and landed on the top of a Coca-Cola bottle.

My wife and I said at the same time, “ that’s impossible ! “.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It seems in our house when my wife and I drop something on the floor, the item seems to travels father than it should.

Sitting at the tablet we eat at, she dropped her blood pressure tablet on the table and it bounced across the table and took a bounce and landed on the top of a Coca-Cola bottle.

My wife and I said at the same time, “ that’s impossible ! “.
Do you live in a low-gravity area?

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
I had a slightly weird one the other day. I was walking back from work and I saw a balloon floating over the rooftops, I thought I bet some kid is disappointed. I contemplated filming it as ‘no a ufo’ comparison but decided against it and carried on. A couple of minutes later I see its string next to me, it had come down to me. I possibly could have grabbed if it hadn’t caught me off guard. Then it was off again high up in the sky. It was just a bit odd.

WanderingFox

Wide-eyed vulpine rambler
I had a slightly weird one the other day. I was walking back from work and I saw a balloon floating over the rooftops, I thought I bet some kid is disappointed. I contemplated filming it as ‘no a ufo’ comparison but decided against it and carried on. A couple of minutes later I see its string next to me, it had come down to me. I possibly could have grabbed if it hadn’t caught me off guard. Then it was off again high up in the sky. It was just a bit odd.

If it was a red balloon, probably better left alone, unless you wanted to float too.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
We have a old wall clock, we have had it about 40 years and it was likely
made when Queen Vic was in charge, I wind it weekly on a Sat morning
just like another in the same room, thing is with the wall clock some Saturdays
it only takes about half a turn of the key to fully wind other times quite a few
full turns, it also does not like to hang vertically it moves slowly over a number
of days to the left, I expect this is to do with vibrations from traffic or the clock
it's self but it takes a bit of force to move it back. I am certain no one else is
touching it, the winding is more puzzling.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
We have a old wall clock, we have had it about 40 years and it was likely
made when Queen Vic was in charge, I wind it weekly on a Sat morning
just like another in the same room, thing is with the wall clock some Saturdays
it only takes about half a turn of the key to fully wind other times quite a few
full turns, it also does not like to hang vertically it moves slowly over a number
of days to the left, I expect this is to do with vibrations from traffic or the clock
it's self but it takes a bit of force to move it back. I am certain no one else is
touching it, the winding is more puzzling.
Depends on the mechanism. Is it one of those long clocks with the hanging weights?

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Spring wound with a pendulum maybe a ft long quite a heavy lump.
very similar to this

1651995190857.png

Last edited:

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Dead level but slowly moves over a few days till I have to level it again
resorted to marking the wall I wind it the same every time some weeks
I takes a bit of winding as you would expect of a 8 day movement,
other weeks maybe half a turn as though it as only run half a day.
This as been going on and off for a good wile now one of life's little
mystery's.