• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Is it possible for it to slam shut then bounce open again?
No. If it closes it catches. I'm leaning towards the noise being something heavy falling over next door - they were out but if she'd left the Hoover (for example) balanced and it fell, that might have been enough to make my floorboards shake. I've never known it happen before, but there's a first time for everything! It certainly wasn't anything in my house.

Saw this empty packaging in the train to Utrecht. Wonder what was in it. It is somewhat suggestive.

packaging1.jpgpackaging2.jpg

During last week's train strikes I came out of London on a different track with different scenery out of the window than the usual. In one garden was a mature tree with very closely bunched branches, may have been a chestnut but difficult to say as clearly it had been shaped. There was a long and elegant staircase leading to the heart of the foliage - teak with hand rails on both sides and similar in height to the disembarkation stairs used by commercial jets. No tree house though, just a straight shallow flight of wooden steps to get you 15-20 feet into the tree. Very envious, wish I had got a photo.

Hi. I mentioned back in May that my dad's favourite bit of music was the Warsaw Concerto by Richard Addinsell & how I'd heard it during various crisis in my life, most recently when I was told I had to have an operation.

The operation was yesterday (everything went fine). It finished @ 2.30pm.

Guess what was playing on our local classical station?
IMG_9847 10%.jpg

https://www.classicalfm.ca/what-was-that-piece (set date to June 27th.)

I think... I'm a believer. Thanks Dad

Last edited:
The downstairs cupboard door was open again on Monday... I went downstairs and it was quite widely open. Everything else doors, windows were shut, but it was a windy day, which seems to be a common denominator. I wonder if there's something happening on the other side (of the cupboard, ie in the empty house next door) that causes a change in pressure? Although the wall between us is two feet thick so it's hard to see what.

There has been no repeat of the sudden bang from next door, although I was woken one night last week by a sudden noise on the landing, but that turned out to be the dog scratching herself and bouncing off the banisters.

The downstairs cupboard door was open again on Monday... I went downstairs and it was quite widely open. Everything else doors, windows were shut, but it was a windy day, which seems to be a common denominator. I wonder if there's something happening on the other side (of the cupboard, ie in the empty house next door) that causes a change in pressure? Although the wall between us is two feet thick so it's hard to see what.

There has been no repeat of the sudden bang from next door, although I was woken one night last week by a sudden noise on the landing, but that turned out to be the dog scratching herself and bouncing off the banisters.
Could there be a hidden hole or crack somewhere in there, allowing the air to flow in from somewhere else, and build up the air pressure there?

Do you have an old style fireplace? They can let a bit of draught in- (or if not and it's been sealed, there is usually a vent anyway).

Does the 'bang' from next door coincide with a day when the cupboard door unusually opens of its own accord?
Could it be something next door flapping in the breeze from an open vent or window, causing a pressure differential between the two properties, which equalises itself through some less-than-airtight part of the structure between yours and theirs?

Do you have an old style fireplace? They can let a bit of draught in- (or if not and it's been sealed, there is usually a vent anyway).
I've got a logburner. I think it must be some kind of air pressure thing.
Does the 'bang' from next door coincide with a day when the cupboard door unusually opens of its own accord?
Could it be something next door flapping in the breeze from an open vent or window, causing a pressure differential between the two properties, which equalises itself through some less-than-airtight part of the structure between yours and theirs?
The 'Bang' was only once and came from the house the other side of me, which has people living in (although they weren't home at the time). I think The Big Bang was mostly likely just something falling over that they'd had propped up. I didn't ascertain whether or not their dog was in the house at the time, because she could have knocked something over (very thick walls mean it's hard to know whether people - or dogs- are in or out, but I checked and their cars were both gone, so THEY were out, dog may or may not have been).

These stories remind me of a story my older daughter told.

When she cooking on the top of the stove as normal, the overhead stove vent came on by itself.

But when she finished cooking, the overhead vent turned itself off without her touching the vent.

She said to me she thought she was the “ Twilight Zone “ .

While we (my son and I) have been looking for rental properties, we saw one online which seemed appealing.
That was until I pointed out to him that it was actually at the end of the runway of Brize Norton RAF base.
We didn't bother arranging a viewing.
View attachment 55945
We used to live in Witney and later Carterton, you get used to it. Bigger problem was the aircraft spotters who drive like muppets and "park" all over the place when they see a plane that might be interesting. We did look at some property in the area and commented on the proximity of RAF BZN, hoping to knock the price down. The agent reassured us saying it was due to wind down soon, That was 25 years ago and said property has doubled in price.
It is a lovely area to live in.

I used to live just down the road from the Westlands factory. We had all sorts in the sky over us.

I had a non Fortean experience at Carterton one sunny afternoon whilst pruning the privet.

I heard a mans voice saying "more left", then another said "Im on it" followed by a little silence then static and a couple of grunted comments that sounded like "Right- Right Right" the rest was silence.

It was of course the Red Devils on a practice jump, the wind conditions were just right to carry their voices across the field.

I had a non Fortean experience at Carterton one sunny afternoon whilst pruning the privet.

I heard a mans voice saying "more left", then another said "Im on it" followed by a little silence then static and a couple of grunted comments that sounded like "Right- Right Right" the rest was silence.

It was of course the Red Devils on a practice jump, the wind conditions were just right to carry their voices across the field.
Hedging their bets to land in the right place I guess!

Hottest day of the year so far in D'Ould Sod, yesterday.

So, we took ourselves to the beach, doggo and all.

Quite the most bizarre beach weather I've ever seen ensued when a cloud seemed to tag itself on a southern headland and then literally fall onto the beach.

C1oEqE.jpg

A peas-souper resulted that was still 25c!

Very strange, and a bit unsettling. Above is DOH, with doggo who found it all very envigorating.

Hottest day of the year so far in D'Ould Sod, yesterday.

So, we took ourselves to the beach, doggo and all.

Quite the most bizarre beach weather I've ever seen ensued when a cloud seemed to tag itself on a southern headland and then literally fall onto the beach.

C1oEqE.jpg

A peas-souper resulted that was still 25c!

Very strange, and a bit unsettling. Above is DOH, with doggo who found it all very envigorating.
DOH?

I did a little shopping via bus yesterday. On the way home I noticed a single ladies' shoe on the floor of the bus, near the entrance. Someone must have been having a good time on that bus.

View attachment 56986
A gym sock on the bus today, wrapped around a hook of the wheelchair restraint. Another few days and this might get interesting.

IMG_20220712_175446.jpg

Back