• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

*nods* Ghosts.

Yesterday morning Techy brought me an early morning brew as usual before leaving for work. Normally I wake up and we have a chat but this time, I was flat out. He spoke to me, leaned over me and whispered in my ear, even took hold of my foot (which'd normally incur a stern rebuke) but there was no response.

He thought I might be dead but found that I was still breathing, though not snoring, which is unusual in itself. :p

When I woke up about 15 minutes later my tea was a little cool but drinkable.

Dunno how I could've been so deeply asleep after a good night's sleep. Most unusual.

Some minutes ago a formation of five helicopters flew over my house. I have never seen helicopters in bulk before o_O
They came from the south and then swerved west, maybe towards the local airport.
I guess it might have something to do with the start of the Tour de France in Utrecht (also weird, the Tour starting in the Netherlands ...).

A couple of weeks ago 5 jet aircraft in close formation flew past in my area.

I'm struggling to remember exactly what I saw recently, but I saw several large helicopters in close formation flying past my workplace a few weeks back. These were large helicopters for lifting heavy weights, and they looked almost black in colour.
Something going on, people! :eek:

This is very minor strangeness, but the bell in the pub I currently work in rang by itself the other night (just a small *tunk* rather than a full on ring, but it's not done that before...) Anyway, it reminded me I should come back to this forum (I was emmbob in a previous incarnation, many years ago). It's so nice to see so many familiar names still posting here! Hello :)

Welcome back.

I cannot resist beachcombing. Most often the things I find are frustratingly un-identifiable. But not today!
The whole afternoon I had been puzzling about the chestnut shaped/coloured stones I found on the beach. But once on the Internet I was able to identify them as limonite nodules. Now I don't know what's more satisfying: solving the puzzle or keeping the puzzle unsolved :)
More here with pictures:
http://uair01.blogspot.nl/2015/07/beach-phenomena-maasvlakte.html

I cannot resist beachcombing. Most often the things I find are frustratingly un-identifiable. But not today!
The whole afternoon I had been puzzling about the chestnut shaped/coloured stones I found on the beach. But once on the Internet I was able to identify them as limonite nodules. Now I don't know what's more satisfying: solving the puzzle or keeping the puzzle unsolved :)
More here with pictures:
http://uair01.blogspot.nl/2015/07/beach-phenomena-maasvlakte.html
Isnt the internet a real boon at times:)

At the end of June, I had some trouble with my bedside clock-radio. (Luckily it sorted itself out.)

Now I have trouble with my wristwatch - the battery seems to be dead, although the watch is not that old.

I'm wondering if Someone is dropping hints that my time is almost up...! :eek:

Now I have trouble with my wristwatch - the battery seems to be dead, although the watch is not that old.

Cheaper non silver oxide watch batteries have a much-shorter lifespan, and are affected a lot by temperature variations.

Unlike Master Mariners, who sail on forever, without flagging. Not for them the ropey wretched life of us landlubbers.

I got a new battery fitted in my watch - but not in a watch shop. It's a warm day, so I didn't feel like walking all through town, so I asked at a couple of 'possible' places. The second one came up trumps - a boot and shoe repair shop!

Yes, cobblers to you too... ;)

I got a new battery fitted in my watch - but not in a watch shop. It's a warm day, so I didn't feel like walking all through town, so I asked at a couple of 'possible' places. The second one came up trumps - a boot and shoe repair shop!

Not just a sole trader then.

Sounds like they did a fine job of rebooting the watch.

I recently bought a set of watch repairing tools for less than £3 (inc postage) from Amazon and a pack of watch batteries from the £ shop. Result: every defunct watch in the house dug out and resurrected. :cool:

We probably didn't need all the tools but I wanted one of those watch pin removal jobbies so I could mess about with the strap on one.

escargot1 said:
I recently bought a set of watch repairing tools for less than £3 (inc postage) from Amazon and a pack of watch batteries from the £ shop.

Did it include a watchmaker's hammer? I have one, in my horological haversack, along with one of these clever front-jawed pullers which pulls the hands off faces cleanly (this now sounds like a Show-and-Tell session for Psychopaths Anonymous).

I sometimes make up watches, if I ever have the time, which nowadays is never. Functional Frankenwatches, with strange transplanted parts, many of which insist there are 14 days in a week but only in a half-hearted French way. As long as it can tell me the hour (so, one handed watches still win) I am content.

A watchmaker's hammer? Now there's an oxymoron for you :)
Is it something like this?
avLnKN5_460s.jpg

A watchmaker's hammer? Now there's an oxymoron for you :)

97f0812b46e5797ce39cc311eb93faeb.jpg

It can be used as an ice-axe by fairies, a leprachaun's crutch, or as a very low-level initial visual threat for interrogation suspects. Watch it, though, 'cause it can wreak havok if you hit your Swiss jewels in the wrong way.

I recently bought a set of watch repairing tools for less than £3 (inc postage) from Amazon and a pack of watch batteries from the £ shop. Result: every defunct watch in the house dug out and resurrected. :cool:
Now most of your watches will lose power simultaneusly!
You should have just resurrected the needed ones, keeping the others and their batteries as spares!

I have a watchmaker's hammer somewhere.
Just exactly so. Perhaps everyone does, somewhere. It'll ring a bell one of these days, wherever you've put it.

rynner2 said:
Now most of your watches will lose power simultaneusly!
You should have just resurrected the needed ones, keeping the others and their batteries as spares!
This would make Yuri Gellar weep with showmanship...you've got to watch him, or he'll go bending things out of proportion.

And regarding the watch-race....a countdown until powerdown, indeed, but I wouldn't get too ticked-off about the simultaneous chronojuvination.

As everyone knows, a watched watch will wane while an unwatched watch almost always attains amazing attributes : as long as we're not heavy-handed, and don't get wound-up about it

dedication.jpg
Perhaps in our mobile connected world this doesn't count as strange anymore. But maybe it's still slightly funny.
The weird thing is ... I didn't see this scene when I took the picture. I was concentrating on the overall composition, not on the details :) (Amsterdam, Rijksmuseum, where everyone is making selfies in front of Rembrandts Nachtwacht)

Didn't get around to posting this.

Cycling home from work I saw the body of King Hare, a truly magnificent beast that lived up near the cemetery. I often spotted him at night and he'd like to sit in the little slip road where I discovered his body.

The weird thing is that this road has very little traffic, it's serpentine so cars can't get up any speed and he would have had plenty of notice of a car approaching. He could shift when he wanted to and I never got close to him on my bike as he struck me as quite intelligent.

I guess he was startled and ran under the wheels of a car.

I'm sad about this. I really hate f*cking cars.

View attachment 903
Perhaps in our mobile connected world this doesn't count as strange anymore. But maybe it's still slightly funny.
The weird thing is ... I didn't see this scene when I took the picture. I was concentrating on the overall composition, not on the details :) (Amsterdam, Rijksmuseum, where everyone is making selfies in front of Rembrandts Nachtwacht)
I definitely think strange - how many feet does the blonde girl have? :confused:

Cycling home from work I saw the body of King Hare, a truly magnificent beast that lived up near the cemetery. I often spotted him at night and he'd like to sit in the little slip road where I discovered his body.

The weird thing is that this road has very little traffic, it's serpentine so cars can't get up any speed and he would have had plenty of notice of a car approaching. He could shift when he wanted to and I never got close to him on my bike as he struck me as quite intelligent.

:( How absolutely awful! I share your sentiment about cars.

This either belongs here or on the WTF thread...
Earlier tonight, I was remembering a discount store in Bay City, Texas, called "Bottom Dollar", and decided to do a search to find out if the chain still existed. The first few results were what one would expect, and then there was number 6...

Columbia University - Official Site
www.columbia.edu
Founded in 1754 as King's College by royal charter, it is the oldest institution of higher learning in the State of New York. Located in New York City and a member of ...

I can only assume that Yahoo understood "Bay City, Texas" to mean "New York City, New York" and "discount store" to mean "Very Expensive Ivy League University."

Well, it's a mistake anyone could make. :rolleyes: :p

Expect to see far more incidents like this as electric cars become more widely used. Personally, I prefer my cars to be unreasonably noisy, which at least gives more warning to the wildlife.

I've only ever been responsible for one casualty (a rabbit) which left me almost traumatised for a few days - I actually turned around and looked for the body so I could lay it somewhere with dignity, but it was pitch black and the verge was very overgrown. I understand your fury though, hares are rather majestic creatures.

Tonight as I pulled out one of my many phones out of my pocket, out fell four or five coins. They fell very gracefully to the ground, in a weirdly-equal and eye-trackable fashion, hit the ground together, then they all rolled off perfectly and irretrievably into the infinite beyond. All gone. Upon a clean kitchen floor, lost between the cracks and gaps in reality.

Truly weird. I don't often suffer from glitches in the matrix, but, when/if I do, they're always decidedly odd. No highs or other substances stronger than tea had been imbibed.

Back