Minor Strangeness

GNC

King-Sized Canary
She will be mine... oh yes, she will be mine.

This film was about 90% catchphrases, wasn't it?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
She will be mine... oh yes, she will be mine.

This film was about 90% catchphrases, wasn't it?
There were certainly some memorable lines.
What happened to dudespeak? There was a whole rash of dudespeak films, and then they stopped making them. I suppose when the 90s ended, maybe. Or the joke wore thin.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
I have an unhealthy fascination for Scandinavian traffic webcams (here some examples and much more) and sometimes (when it rains outside, like now) I run a script that scrapes a lot of pictures and then I look for anything remarkable. I might do Sudoku puzzles but this is more interesting o_O Today I caught some wildlife on the webcam that I'm not sure about. I think it's a crow and a fox. It's only in one picture, so the black thing is not dirt on the lens.
100109-22-15-8-2015-2-39.jpg 455931-57-15-8-2015-13-41.jpg

I have an unhealthy fascination for Scandinavian traffic webcams (here some examples and much more) and sometimes (when it rains outside, like now) I run a script that scrapes a lot of pictures and then I look for anything remarkable. I might do Sudoku puzzles but this is more interesting o_O Today I caught some wildlife on the webcam that I'm not sure about. I think it's a crow and a fox. It's only in one picture, so the black thing is not dirt on the lens.
View attachment 1007 View attachment 1008
The fox looks a bit cat-like to me, but the other thing? No idea. I can't see a crow but I can see a cartoon panda simulacra.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
cat2.jpg
You are right about the cat! I let the script run and it came back :rolleyes: Satisfying mini mystery solved on a rainy weekend.

The_Discordian

Junior Acolyte
The lightbulb in the room where I'm sitting just fell out of the socket, with absolutely no provocation, and the socket doesn't apear to be giving in to wear and tear. Very odd.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
*nods* It may be a day for light bulb weirdness. Today I was installing light shades for a friend when several chunks of plastic fell off the fitting and dropped onto the floor.
However, we couldn't then find the bits on the floor, and there were no bits missing from the fitting. Baffled.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
A formal jacket of mine, which has unique buttons, has suddenly produced a spare matching cuff button, loose, inside one of the pockets.

None of the buttons are missing. It never had any extra ones attached as surplus extras.

The jacket is ancient and familiar, yet has begat a bewildering baby button.

Last edited:

Cherrybomb

Justified & Ancient
*A little coincidence* The past few days I've been enjoying the thread about Kurt Cobain on here. Last night I went to bed thinking about him and what he might be like if he were still alive. Anyhoo, I get into bed and continue reading Jon Ronson's book "Frank" about his time with Frank Sidebottom. Ronson talks about a strange band called The Shaggs' made up of three abused girls who had never heard music but whose father made them play in a band, the results were, of course rather odd and eerie. I googled them and listened to their song "philosophy of the world". I then return to reading the book - it says that The Shaggs album was in Kurt's top 5 albums of all time.

Cultjunky

Justified & Ancient
Well well well. Funny you should mention light bulb tomfoolery. Last week my main living room one went on the blink. I got by with a couple of lamps til a tall friend had time to come an assist. Only to find that the bayonet bulb had somehow become un-whatever bayonet fittings are when held fast.

How does that happen?

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Well well well. Funny you should mention light bulb tomfoolery. Last week my main living room one went on the blink. I got by with a couple of lamps til a tall friend had time to come an assist. Only to find that the bayonet bulb had somehow become un-whatever bayonet fittings are when held fast.

How does that happen?
screw in?

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
A dress jacket of mine, which has unique buttons, has suddenly produced a spare matching cuff button, loose, inside one of the pockets.

None of the buttons are missing. It never had any extra ones attached as surplus extras.

The jacket is ancient and familiar, yet has begat a bewildering baby button.
I had this mental picture Ermintrude, of a witch, alone in her solitude, gazing into her scrying dish, mumbling these words over the visions there, when the wind blows out her candle...

Out of this Unbearable beingness, I grant thee one button - receive it, and use it well Sister - It is a zygotic world, perfect and pure, to be used at the catabolism of this enduring one.

Know when to invoke it it... and remember the needed words spoken...

(Gawd, where does this mind of mine go to...)

I had this mental picture Ermintrude, of a witch, alone in her solitude, gazing into her scrying dish, mumbling these words over the visions there, when the wind blows out her candle...

Out of this Unbearable beingness, I grant thee one button - receive it, and use it well Sister - It is a zygotic world, perfect and pure, to be used at the catabolism of this enduring one.

Know when to invoke it it... and remember the needed words spoken...

(Gawd, where does this mind of mine go to...)
...and murmuring "It was meant to be a frog dammit, those symbols are so similar."

Ermintruder

I am no witch, warlock, and certainly not a she, but, this mystery extra button remains impressively-possessed...just of physical substance, I mean. Not in any daemonic way. That would be a devilish fastening...knoop knap knop....get thee behind me, toggle of lucifer!

If someone was meant to be channelling me a frog, perhaps they pressed the wrong button within their magick app. I shall remain alert to the possible random emergence of further clothing accoutrements or even of anomalous amphibians.

Ermintruder

I'm genderless upon this forum, merely a mysterious recipient of phantasmagorical fastenings, I am just a sequence of photons and electrons.

Very few shall ever see...and even less will look....

G

GeorgeP

I'm genderless upon this forum, merely a mysterious recipient of phantasmagorical fastenings, I am just a sequence of photons and electrons.

Very few shall ever see...and even less will look....

I thought you were a dude-ette...erm, whoops. (George whistles Laurel & Hardy as he scurries off)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

How does that happen?
I've experienced this myself.
I think lots of heating/cooling cycles cause the bulb to gradually turn about in the socket, then the springs finish off the job.

gattino

Justified & Ancient
To the best of my recollection my phone battery was perfectly fine when I went to sleep last night.. I woke up to find it wouldn't go on. Without any activity on my part every last (insert name of tiniest unit of electricity) has evaporated.,..not even enough to switch on, say hello and switch off again was left. Phone batteries die, but I've never seen this before from nowhere, there's a slow progression stemmed during inactivity. So I plug it in to recharge and it comes back to life, all is working fine, only it's gained an hour and a half. its says 9.10 at 8.40. Then I notice no, it's actually lost 11 days. It claims its 9.10 on Sunday 9 August.

There is only one rational explanation. Aliens. Or poltergeists. Alien poltergeists.

rynner2

Great Old One
...So I plug it in to recharge and it comes back to life, all is working fine, only it's gained an hour and a half. its says 9.10 at 8.40. Then I notice no, it's actually lost 11 days. It claims its 9.10 on Sunday 9 August.

There is only one rational explanation. Aliens. Or poltergeists. Alien poltergeists.
Yes, missing time. Aliens took you into the future, but left your phone behind. Perhaps you should go out and buy a paper to double-check the date! :p

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
I am no witch, warlock, and certainly not a she, but, this mystery extra button remains impressively-possessed...just of physical substance, I mean. Not in any daemonic way. That would be a devilish fastening...knoop knap knop....get thee behind me, toggle of lucifer!

If someone was meant to be channelling me a frog, perhaps they pressed the wrong button within their magick app. I shall remain alert to the possible random emergence of further clothing accoutrements or even of anomalous amphibians.
My apologies Ermintrude...

Peripart

Antediluvian
To the best of my recollection my phone battery was perfectly fine when I went to sleep last night.. I woke up to find it wouldn't go on. Without any activity on my part every last (insert name of tiniest unit of electricity) has evaporated.,..
Try turning it over every few hours - otherwise, all the electricity will run to the bottom.

...it's gained an hour and a half. its says 9.10 at 8.40. Then I notice no, it's actually lost 11 days. It claims its 9.10 on Sunday 9 August.
And it lost another hour, otherwise it would be 10.10!

So, which one of those is the one rational explanation?

I'm sure that most mobile phones have pixies living in them, pixies who are normally quite happy to make the thing work perfectly, but occasionally fuck with you, just for pixie shits and giggles. When my phone's about to ring, it lights up, so if it's on my desk, I get a second or so's warning that a call is incoming. Just now, it lit up, so I glanced across to see who was calling. No-one, that's who. No call, text or email, and the phone went back to sleep after a few seconds.

Stranger than that, though, was a call I left unanswered this morning. Like a lot of you, I'm sure, I'm so fed up with borderline-legal marketing calls that I only actually answer if I know who it is. So when I saw a unknown number beginning with 01159 on the screen, my first instinct was to look the number up on one of those "who calls me" type of websites, rather than pick up the call. Nothing suspicious there, so I simply Googled the number instead. Turns out, it's the main number for a dentist in Nottingham! OK, so they probably just got someone else's number mixed up, but it was refreshing, if bizarre, to find it wasn't someone looking to compensate me for an accident I didn't have.

Shit - just realised what this all means. The pixie in my phone is actually a tooth fairy...

Ermintruder

@gattino @rynner2 note that the clocks within smart phones are now far too clever for their own good. They can use Network Time Protocol as their time reference (if the settings are set to permit such skullduggery, and from either the internet or the phone company's NTP) and therefore can become asynchronous if out of contact for any reason. Ah, for the good old days of quartz clocks and watches...at least you knew where you were with them....plus or minus say 10secs a week.

Peripart said:
Shit - just realised what this all means. The pixie in my phone is actually a tooth fairy...
A scary logic, but persuasive reasoning. Tooth fairies in cahoots with dentists. Makes sense...subconsciously I may have always made that connection.

I do remember a cousin of mine, as a kid, being injected with insulin, regularly, as a diabetic. For them, the unseen intervention agents of potential providence were referred to as "jag fairies".

Back then, last century, the going compensatory rate for subjecting kids to injection needles ('jags', in child Britspeak, also known as 'shots' in the USA) appeared to be 50 New Pence.

Somewhat less perhaps than current exchange rates for teeth and coinage, from the tooth branch of the fairy kingdom, but I'm unsure about current tarrifs...or EU guidelines on such matters (Brussels is always so vague on supernatural matters....I once tried to find-out regarding Santa Claus, and EU guidance, and wouldn't you know it....the relvant regulations are really hard to track down)