• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

rynner2 said:
.... If I have time I may even get off the bus and search on foot.

You know what you have to do! :lol:

trevp66 said:
On your right-hand side are the grounds of Mill House, (behind the line of trees) and between the road and the trees is the steep bank I referred to originally.
So I put myself on 'streetview' along here and looked at the steep bank but it looked way too steep to walk up. When I turned 180 though, there was still a nice path/pavement to use, so I continued on along the A393 beyond the point where the path sortof dwindled away, looking back at the steep bank, and suddenly I could see an obvious well trodden bit, which looked like the sort of path you would take if you had walked up from the bus-stop, crossed the road, walked along for a 100yds or so, then started walking up the bank at an angle, instead of trying to walk straight up. There was a gap in the trees at about the same point too, and the path had just one deviation, about halfway between the road and the trees.
Dunno if that helps really but I tried.
Well I tried Google street again, and this time I did get much clearer pictures. So I tried what you've described, effectively backing up the hill, looking at the slope on my left.

But going all the way from the footpath to the field gate I mentioned before, I still couldn't see the zig-zag path you describe.

Can you use the various traffic signs and road markings to define the position more precisely?

On Saturday me & my better half went to Hay on Wye for the day. We visited many of the old book shops & a couple of tea rooms and everything was dandy. However, as soon as we entered the Richard Booth Bookshop, i felt awful. It was like I was going to pass out, I felt hot and dizzy and sick. I sat down for a few minutes hoping it would pass, but it didnt. We left after maybe 10 minutes of being in there and as soon as I got outside I was fine. We carried on to other shops and I was totally ok.

The reason for this awful feeling, according to the OH, is that it was once a butchers. Animals were killed in the building at the back and sold in the shop part at the front. He also says that he's been there with many people who have felt the same! I'm not a veggie, so I don't know why it should effect me. A little odd nonetheless.

We have a long, interesting thread somewhere on the subject of weird feelings in odd places. I think the title mentions supermarkets! Well worth a read.

Ninja edit - here it is.

We also have a more general 'weird feelings in certain places' thread which I can't find just now.

Don't know if this counts as a weird feeling or what. On Monday I was at Probus talking to the lady on my left before the meeting started. when the chair next to me on the right felt as if someone had sat down but when I looked there was just a book left to reserve it.
Kept talking but the chair kept vibrating and I thought it must be someone from the row behind knocking it, but it didn't stop till someone sat in it. I looked behind then and there wasn't any row behind at all.
I didn't like to say anything as a lot of the members are older and more conservative and I'm not sure yet who would be accepting.

Thanks, escargot, I totally forgot about that thread!

Recap:
rynner2 said:
The other day I was on a bus (as usual!) heading back to Falmouth. A man got off at a stop just outside the village of Ponsanooth, and, rather than take one of the two side roads there, he set off walking up the hill, ie, away from the village. There is a building there, but as we passed it I realised it had no doorway on the main road - its entrance must be on the LH side road - so he wasn't going there.

Shortly after we passed the building, the footpath petered out, so any pedestrian would have to risk the busy traffic and walk along by the hedge at the side of the road. I kept a look-out for where the man could be going, but all we passed for the next few miles was hedges with occassional gateways into fields, none of which seemed likely destinations.

When we finally reached a small hamlet I noticed there was a bus stop there that he could have used if that was his destination. So where was he going? I've been that way once or twice since, but I still haven't seen a likely answer!
Various ideas were proposed, but the only testable one was this:
trevp66 said:
rynner2 said:
....It was only when I noticed there seemed to be nowhere obvious for him to go along the main road that I started to wonder about his destination.
I just had a quick look at google streetview and on that A393, just a hundred yards or so on from where the path sortof disappears, on the opposite side of the road there appears to be a well trodden path going up the bank, at an angle, and it would exit through the tree line into the grounds of "Mill House".
Maybe he works or lives there, or one of the other properties further up Commercial Hill, and this is his 'cut-through' from the bus-stop?
In the last week I've been by there several times, but still couldn't see this path, so I decided that today I would check it out on foot - maybe the speed of the bus made me miss something.

The first discovery was that what I'd taken for a short length of 6' high fence, just before the building on the left, is actually a gate. Could this be the answer? But it seemed unlikely, because the gate has no handle on the outside, and is securely fastened by a strong bolt on the inside. I suppose the mystery man could have used a mobile to call someone to let him in, but why bother when there's access from the side road?

So on up the path, to a field gate on the left, just beyond the building. But the field doesn't seem to lead anywhere. On to where the path peters out, and now the road is effectively in a cutting with steep banks both sides (the RH one is higher). But no sign of a footpath going up either one.

The next field gate is on the right:

FieldGate.jpg

There is a barely discernable patch of white in the distant trees, presumably a house, but to get there you'd have to climb the gate (it's got a modern lock keeping it closed) and cross three fields and boundary hedges, etc. But there's no obvious sign of a path, so it doesn't seem a very convenient way to get there.

I didn't walk any further, but there is a large cluster of farm buildings further along on the right (Cosawes Pascoe on the OS map). However, the gates to that from the road appear to have been closed off for some considerable time.

But I think I've knocked the Google theory on the head, especially as I was looking before most of the Spring foliage has burst forth, so any pathway should have been obvious. Nice try, Trev, but no coconut!

So I waited for the bus home (which was over 15 minutes late), but we did pick up another interesting passenger:

GreenManBus.jpg

His green hands are actually rubber gloves! 8)

This afternoon I called my son and I got a strange lady on the phone who didn't know him. I was a bit spooked because that was the same thing that happened last time, after he lost his phone (and he never got it back).

Then my son called me back and said: "Hey dad did you lose your phone?" Because he had called me and had also got an unknown person.

In the last days the Dutch Vodafone network has had problems. So Vodafone still has it's lines crossed.

...Various ideas were proposed, but the only testable one was this:
...on the opposite side of the road there appears to be a well trodden path...etc
In the last week I've been by there several times, but still couldn't see this path, so I decided that today I would check it out on foot - maybe the speed of the bus made me miss something.
...On to where the path peters out, and now the road is effectively in a cutting with steep banks both sides (the RH one is higher). But no sign of a footpath going up either one...
But I think I've knocked the Google theory on the head, especially as I was looking before most of the Spring foliage has burst forth, so any pathway should have been obvious. Nice try, Trev, but no coconut!

(No cigar even! It was a pretty good punt though. - Trev)

So I waited for the bus home (which was over 15 minutes late), but we did pick up another interesting passenger:

Good grief - it's a bit Mulder and Scully innit - as soon as we appear to be getting close to some sort of explanation for one mystery, another one comes along!

It seems like a very strangeness imbued area you live in!

ramonmercado said:
I reckon he'll find a body eventually.
I reckon they'll find my body eventually... :(

In the meantime, I'll keep digging up the strangeness...

Not long after I shot the green man, I saw a group of people walking a giant Mackeral through a public park... :shock:

I was too slow to capture it on camera, but after I'd been shopping in Tesco, I found it had caught up with me, so I caught it then:

DSCN1115.jpg

Sounds fishy to me you have got to be codding!
This seems like the plaice to go for the fish puns record!

Floundering about here trying to think of some fish puns. :?

Decided to mullet over for a bit.

I didn't want anyone to 'carp on' about it being off-topic!

My sole intention is just to have a little fun.

Actually, trying to think of puns is giving me a bit of a headhake.

I feel like giving up trying.

I was never a dab-hand at such things - if I was a pun-writer for a living I certainly wouldn't make a fortuna out of it.

Anyway, I think it's time to stop this prattling on.

All those of you that are now moaning that I'm terrible, well, I'm herring you, I'm getting trout of here, before salmon decides to complain, just for the halibut....

rynner2 said:
...In the last week I've been by there several times, but still couldn't see this path, so I decided that today I would check it out on foot - maybe the speed of the bus made me miss something...

Well obviously the guy you were trailing had become fascinated by the journey taken by a chap he'd seen on the bus, who was equally fascinated by the journey taken by another chap he'd also seen on the same bus route, who was following a man who was trailing another man who was trailing a man...

There could be hundreds of you by now.

Unless...

Rynner, if you come across a big pile of bones in the overgrown vegetable garden of a remote and dilapidated cottage, it's gate creaking gently on rusted hinges and the hint of a tiny whisp of smoke around the moss covered chimney pot - just turn around and go home.

Spookdaddy said:
Rynner, if you come across a big pile of bones in the overgrown vegetable garden of a remote and dilapidated cottage, it's gate creaking gently on rusted hinges and the hint of a tiny whisp of smoke around the moss covered chimney pot - just turn around and go home.

Eek! :shock:

rynner2 said:
Last night an iPlayer glitch froze my computer, so I had to cut the power and restart.

This morning the BBC news page didn't 'remember' me, so I had to re-enter my postcode to access local news and weather. So far, this is an everyday story of computer folk.

But when I went to check my local weather, I found it had somehow remembered my second weather location, so I didn't have to re-enter that!

My theory is that an unexpected shut down only affects programmes open at the time, and the weather page probably wasn't open at the time I cut the power.
A similar problem tonight, but with a different outcome:

I was watching an old documentary, full screen, when the image froze, although the sound continued. I tried Escape, with no result. Now I had a frozen screen with no links available,and not even a cursor visible. Since Escape, and moving my invisible cursor around and clicking at random seemed to have no effect, I was about to cut the power, when suddenly the programme resumed, sound and vision in sync, no problems.

But there was one difference - although I was now out of Full Screen, the image was almost as big as if it was full screen. In fact, the iPlayer screen,which normally fits itself to my monitor, was about 30% larger than normal! This meant more horizontal and vertical scrolling to use the whole page, but it was fine for just watching a programme!

At first I worried that I'd somehow altered my computer settings, but other websites present themselves normally.
Very odd, but I suspect all will be back to normal tomorrow after a restart.

(As it happened, I found the documentary boring, so listened to Sounds of the Sixties from the radio instead, before I found another TV prog I wanted to watch...)

Booted up as normal. I normally get to FTMB via an email notif link, but there weren't any new ones, and I'd deleted all the old ones, so I had to go to BBC news and then use a book mark from there.

BBC news was OK, but FTMB was now oversized! I had to use Ctrl- to reset it! I haven't yet retried iPlayer...

I find that computers are so illogical! :madeyes:

Rynner, are you using Windows XP? XP always used to give me all kinds of video glitches.
Not so many problems now I'm on Windows 7.

Mythopoeika said:
Rynner, are you using Windows XP? XP always used to give me all kinds of video glitches.
Yep, XP it is. But it could also be my computer growing old, as it's getting a bit temperamental in other things too. With all the hours it's done I'm amazed it keeps running at all!

Empty parking spaces

Sunday afternoon, my husband and I started off to Charlie Hong Kong Restaurant http://www.charliehongkong.com/ in Santa Cruz. As we approached, we both saw three empty parking spaces behind the restaurant, but when we pulled into the parking lot, we found that that those three spaces were full.

The parking lot at Charlie's is tiny (12 parking spaces): one car might wait unseen in the driveway, but three would spill out into the street, so there weren't three empty parking spaces suddenly filled by three unseen cars.

You can use Google maps to see the situation at Charlie's: the address is 1141 Soquel Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95062.

Another glitch in the matrix?

I have done that! - Driven by a car park and noticed a space, then driven in to find the space taken, having not noticed anyone else looking for one. Indeed, the car that had 'taken' the space would usually be empty and unattended, not at the 'people just getting out of it' stage. I just put it down to bad luck, or the mind playing games, and letting you see the very thing you are looking for.

It does sound a bit like you've hopped between dimensions or timelines.

jeff544 said:
I have done that! - Driven by a car park and noticed a space, then driven in to find the space taken, having not noticed anyone else looking for one. Indeed, the car that had 'taken' the space would usually be empty and unattended, not at the 'people just getting out of it' stage. I just put it down to bad luck, or the mind playing games, and letting you see the very thing you are looking for.

I would understand had we both seen just one empty space. And, you can always touch a parked car to see whether the engine is still hot. But three empty spaces? That's a first for me.

My husband is now proposing that he imagined the three spaces and sent the image to my mind, which is only slightly less odd an explanation than skipping between dimensions!

This is pretty minor, but startling nonetheless...yesterday morning, during the moment in which I stepped into my shower stall and before I even had time to get wet, the showerhead, which had been running full blast (I always turn on the water for 30 seconds or so before getting in the show to let the water warm up), turned itself off. The shower has a single handle, one of those that has to be pushed in to turn off the water and pulled out to turn it on and you rotate it one way for hot water and the other way for cold. I was facing away from the water flow so I didn't see the handle move, but I did have to pull it all the way out again to turn the water back on so I know it did, and, oddly, the water was hot instead of the warm temp. it should have been based on the position of the handle.

Being in the vulnerable position one is in the shower, I tried not to think that somebody was "helping" me not have an unpleasant encounter with overly hot water.

Then last night as I was tossing and turning and trying unsuccessfully to sleep, I heard that fan voice sound - you know, when it sounds as if voices are coming out of a household fan. (I had one going on my desk, one on my nightstand and two window fans - yeah, I like a breeze!) Only, it wasn't the fan, the voices got louder and became voices from my radio that had just turned itself on (several hours earlier than the alarm set).

And after I turned the radio off, I then started to hear fan voices in earnest - I turned them all off, then decided to turn the nightstand one back on and it got so talkative I came downstairs and decided to watch TV. At least I know where those voices are coming from.

solsticebelle said:
I was facing away from the water flow so I didn't see the handle move, but I did have to pull it all the way out again to turn the water back on so I know it did, and, oddly, the water was hot instead of the warm temp. it should have been based on the position of the handle.

You backed into the handle without knowling? Or, perhaps, something moved through the pipes; old bit of plaster, perhaps.

solsticebelle said:
At least I know where those voices are coming from.

What were they saying?

Back